SW Utah Road Trip, need some advice!- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146

    Hope SW Utah Road Trip, need some advice!

    Hey all,

    I'm heading to southwest Utah next weekend for a short mountain bike road trip and can't wait. We have three full days to spare (Oct 23, 24, 25) and I'm trying to set a cool itinerary w/ epic rides. Here are the options I've come up with so far, in order of preference:

    1. Virgin River Rim Trail near Cedar City (33 mi) - This trail reaches 9700 feet and might be getting snow right about this time of year. Anybody think we can pull this off on Oct 23? I would love to get this ride in and can handle the cold, but obviously can't deal with snow or much rain.

    2. Gooseberry Mesa (13 mi) - You guys think this trail should be a full day? Also, any cool places to car camp nearby?

    3. Thunder Mountain trail in Bryce (16 mi) - Is this trail worth the extra 2 hour drive from the other two trails? I consider myself a fairly advanced rider and want a bit of technical ride when I'm out there. What do you guys think? If we don't do Thunder Mountain we can spend a day in Zion doing some rappeling instead.

    Would love to get all your feedback! Anyone from Utah especially that would know weather conditions at the Virgin River Rim Trail would be a huge help!

    Thanks again guys,
    Kevin

  2. #2
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    it's getting cooler but all the high country is still snow free to my knowledge.
    I like bikes.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,295
    Great camping out at Goose. It is also more technical than Thunder Mt. and if you ride all the trails it will take the better part of a day. Little Creek might be another option instead of Thunder Mt. Less tech than Goose and only a 20 minute drive from camp.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    230
    I rode thunder mountain last year and it was fantastic. Two hour drive though just to ride it is questionabl though. The trail is very flowy and buff from what I remember, the scenery is incredible. If you went into Bryce on the same day it would make the drive worth it.

    Is there any word ondark Hollow? This looks to be another great trail of the region.

    Archie

  5. #5
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Virgin River Rim is currently dry, there are going to be a lot of trees across the trail, we had a big wind storm about 3 weeks ago. The deer season starts the 17th and goes until the 25th. I'm not brave enough to ride the VRRT during the hunt.

  6. #6
    Dr. Pepper drinker
    Reputation: catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,626
    Your plan sounds pretty solid, VRRT and Thunder Mountain might depend on how the weather holds up for you but I think you will be okay. If things get ugly up high Little Creek is definitely a good option (stop at Over the Edge in Hurricane to get a map and good directions there or you won't find it though). I personally think Thunder Mountain is well worth the drive if you have never done it just for the views alone, fun trail too. You can always ride the other Red Canyon stuff Casto, Cassidy, Losse if you are feeling like you need more right in the area or go check out Bryce Canyon and hike down to the bottom if you have time.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

  7. #7
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    If the OP (or anyone else) is interested in Little Creek, PM me with an email and I can send maps and .gpx files. The maps are more detailed than you can find at the bike shops.

    Like this but larger file.

    I can't attach files to PM's, so I will need an email address.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crashtestdummy; 10-27-2009 at 06:55 AM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tmpaints's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    159
    KevinÖ

    Iím heading to SW Utah as well next week for a little business and riding. Basecamp for me will be St. George. Work commitments end on Wednesday Oct 21. My plan is to ride Thursday through Sunday mid day before heading home. Last night I found out that my trip will now be solo. Plans changed for my copilot who has to fly east on business. Gooseberry and Thunder Mountain are on my hit list as well as some desert riding around St. George. Depending on how my reconstructed knee holds up (Iíll be testing out a new brace as well) my Sunday ride might be a detour to Bootleg Canyon on the drive back to LA.

    At 52 with bad knees, Iím not very aggressive anymore. FYI Ė This trip Iím more interested in recharging my battery while enjoying the scenery than pushing my biking limits. I have a Northshore rack on my SUV with three open slots for shuttle possibilities. PM me if interested Ö

    Jim

    Northshore Rack.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    246
    We did a shuttle of Bunker Creek the same day as Thunder Mountain. I think it was 11,300' down to 8000' or so. Both rides together made for a great day.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,953

    don't miss

    Thunder Mtn., whatever else you ride. when you're riding in Utah, regardless of where, you cannot go wrong, but do yourself a favor, get in on sunrise in Bryce & imagine riding a bike down in it. then go do TM. you will forever be glad you did, whatever logistics hassles it might seem like it would be, looking back on it will always a great memory.
    breezy shade

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146
    Wow so it's hunting season up at the Virgin River Rim Trail? Hm, have there been any mountain biker deaths because of it before? Also, if anyone's been to the Virgin Rim River Trail recently that can confirm it's condition, I'm all ears.

    Also, is there a convenient place to check the weather forecast for the Virgin River Rim Trail or Bunker Creek?

    Also, Thunder Mountain sounds like a quick ride with some nice vistas...is Bunker Creek the only ride nearby? Are there other rides I should consider combining with Thunder Mtn that are within a 20 min drive?

    Thanks again guys, this is all really helpful.

    Kevin
    Last edited by tittiot; 10-16-2009 at 10:55 AM.

  12. #12
    Dr. Pepper drinker
    Reputation: catch22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,626
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiot
    Wow so it's hunting season up at the Virgin River Rim Trail? Hm, have there been any mountain biker deaths because of it before? Also, if anyone's been to the Virgin Rim River Trail recently that can confirm it's condition, I'm all ears.

    Also, is there a convenient place to check the weather forecast for the Virgin River Rim Trail or Bunker Creek?

    Also, Thunder Mountain sounds like a quick ride with some nice vistas...is Bunker Creek the only ride nearby? Are there other rides I should consider combining with Thunder Mtn that are within a 20 min drive?

    Thanks again guys, this is all really helpful.

    Kevin
    For weather you could just check the forecast for Navajo Lake, VRRT is right there. Maybe try Brian Head forecast for Bunker Creek.

    For more options around Thunder Mountain go to this page:
    http://utahmountainbiking.com/trails/index.htm
    Click the area around Panguitch on the map, then check out the Cassidy-Losee Loop and others in the area.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    984
    Thunder mountain and Gooseberry definitely should be on the list.

    I wasn't as impressed with the VRRT. The views weren't as good and the trail was pretty rocky. The first part from Strawberry to Cascade Falls was mostly double track.

    But I am pretty affected by altitude and since you're riding between 8500-9700 feet I was walking a lot of the climbs.

  14. #14
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodiegrrl
    The first part from Strawberry to Cascade Falls was mostly double track.
    There was a time when that was all single track. Thank you so very f*cking much ATVer's.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146
    Cool, thanks for the input guys. Think I've got a new itinerary planned based on all your feedback. Mind giving your thoughts?? Do the logistics here make sense? Also, I know Bunker Creek is really high up, you think it's rideable a week from now?:

    Day 1 (Friday Oct 23): Gooseberry Mesa

    Day 2 (Saturday): Bunker Creek AND Thunder Mountain

    Day 3 (Sunday): JEM Trail, then drive home

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by tittiot
    Cool, thanks for the input guys. Think I've got a new itinerary planned based on all your feedback. Mind giving your thoughts?? Do the logistics here make sense? Also, I know Bunker Creek is really high up, you think it's rideable a week from now?:

    Day 1 (Friday Oct 23): Gooseberry Mesa

    Day 2 (Saturday): Bunker Creek AND Thunder Mountain

    Day 3 (Sunday): JEM Trail, then drive home
    Day 1-------- Sounds like and excellent day for you and plenty of riding. FWIW, I logged 23 miles on Gooseberry Friday. That was North Rim, South Rim, Hidden Canyon, Yellow Trail, Bowls n' Ledges and the Practice Loop Twice. PM me and share with you where to park and the best campsite on the Goose.

    Day 2 ---- Never done Bunker Creek but Thunder MTN is way cool. Remember you're at 8000+ feet so bring a base layer and check the weather. Don't shuttle Thunder MTN, ride it from the bottom parking lot up the paved trail as a loop.

    Day 3 ----- JEM is less than ann hour and a half ride on an out and back.

    IMO (and I live here..) a great/fun loop is to park at the Sheepsbridge Road parking lot in Virgin (lower JEM trailhead) and ride the JEM "up" to Sheeps Bridge Road, Take a right on Sheeps Bridge Road and go across SR-59 to the "Cattle Pen" and go left. This takes you on the upper half of the Goulds Trial. This climbs and winds on some sweet single track and ends at SR-59. Cross SR-59 an take a very short ride down the double track to the upper JEM Trailhead. Ride the JEM down (It's a friggin hoot) across Sheepbridge Road again.. and then all the way back to your starting point at the lower JEM trailhead.

    Alternative route is to ride the "race course plus route" which is 16 or so miles. Start same place but then goes east on to th erace course route at the gravel pit. It is some nice double tracl (about six miles) and then you ride the JEM almost from the top and take double track out to the Hurricane Rime trail and then rode a couple of miles of it which will connect you back onto the JEM and the to the lower JEM trailhead. This is two to two and a half hours max.

    I ride basically every day and will be happy to show you around on Gooseberry and/or the JEM routes listed. PM me....

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    410
    Awesome trip!

    I might amend day two with Blowhard instead of Bunker Creek. It's pretty spectacular scenery and far more challenging riding. Dark Hollow is also great, but a bit short. Dark Hollow rides well in the wet, though, and you can always do multiple laps, I suppose.

    Not offense to STT GUY, but don't pedal up a paved road to make a loop of Thunder. Shuttle it and ride your bike on dirt. It's your second ride of your second day - take your time at the top of the little mini-climbs and shoot pictures there. If it hasn't rained, be prepared to work on your drive train after that ride as the dust can cause serious havoc.

    Last day, look at some other shorter rides if JEM alone is too short a ride. Maybe Guacamole or a Littlecreek loop from Crashtest's map above.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Awesome trip!
    Not offense to STT GUY, but don't pedal up a paved road to make a loop of Thunder. Shuttle it and ride your bike on dirt. It's your second ride of your second day - take your time at the top of the little mini-climbs and shoot pictures there. If it hasn't rained, be prepared to work on your drive train after that ride as the dust can cause serious havoc.
    .
    None taken! I just think it's a really great ride up the bike trail and an opportunity to warm up but I didn;t consider that it was ride two of the day.... . There's some good climbs on the trail itself as you know.

  19. #19
    should know better.....
    Reputation: neverwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    749
    Just got back last night after 3 1/2 days of riding:
    We stayed in St George, so our trip was biased a bit by road time, vs camping.
    Day one:
    Little Creek, then a fun tour by locals in St George in the late afternoon. Quite exhausting day, but really fun.
    Day two:
    Met our tour guides ("Team Sanchez") again, did Gooseberry Mesa, with play opportunities, then I had to get a buddy back to Vegas, but the other three of our group did a Grafton Mesa shuttle, that we had set up before Goose. Great day.
    Day three;
    Pretty tired from two full days of riding, we decided to go "softer" but do something different, so off to Thunder Mountain. What a beautiful drive, went up through Cedar City, then across and up to Ruby Canyon. Road went up and over 9900 feet, great views, lava fields, High alpine meadows, foliage etc. really good sightseeing, let alone going to ride one of the most visually remarkable places I've ever been to. Thunder Mountain, which we did as a shuttle. Still quite a bit of climbing involved, nothing crazy, but do not think that when done as a shuttle, there will be no climbing. Conditions as of Saturday the 17th, very dry and very powdery. some of the climbing was borderline due to traction issues with the deep powder. Some horses had softened things up pretty badly in places. high speed turns were very drifty. Just an incredible ride. Nice climbing leading to surreal landscape, followed by one of the most fun descents ever. nice exposure in a few spots, tight but totally rideable switchbacks, then the last mile or so along the bottom ultra-fast singletrack. I probably hit 30 mph in a few spots, really burning along, getting air on a series of whoops.
    Cannot say enough. the combo of riding terrain and scenery makes it a Must Do if you can get to it.
    Drove back through Zion, again, great back-country scenery, then a great lunch at Oscar's in Springdale.
    Then we hit the Guacamole Trail, fun easy singletrack to slickrock play, good rim views, bits of petrified wood laying around. Back to St. George. Really great day, lots of driving, but as an out of towner, I'd have been happy just doing the drive by itself, for the scenery, let alone the two rides as well.
    "Always Ride."

    -Anthony S.

  20. #20
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Then we hit the Guacamole Trail, fun easy singletrack to slickrock play, good rim views, bits of petrified wood laying around.
    How did you like the dust bath on the road in? That needs some serious rain.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    That road needs a few things.

    Folks to drive slowly on it when it is dry, some rain and the 4X4's to stay off of it when it's muddy. When it rains a fair amount, all that moondust turns to baby poop and the 4X4 guys think it's great to try to make it through it, which I am sure it is but it ruts the road 2+ feet deep in spots.

    Maybe they'll grade it soon. They just did all the roads on Gooseberry.

  22. #22
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    If it hasn't rained, be prepared to work on your drive train after that ride as the dust can cause serious havoc.
    I agree, clean your bike after you ride Thunder Mtn!

  23. #23
    should know better.....
    Reputation: neverwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    749
    Yep. that dust on Dalton Wash is about 8-10" deep in two different 100 yard sections right now, one white, one light brown. If it were to rain significantly, I can see that it would turn really nasty and then set up with horrific ruts. As far as grading goes, they have fixed the last bit up to the mesa since we were last there. Last time, it was really sketchy, washed out, barely 8 feet wide, with ruts/holes big enough to rip out the underside of anything not made for off road. Of course we drove the rentals up..... my passenger at the time actually got out and walked, while I drove it.

    Speaking of grading, what is that road on the opposite side of the drainage? They were working on it last time, looks complete now, but also looks private. That was a lot of work to put that in.
    "Always Ride."

    -Anthony S.

  24. #24
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk

    Speaking of grading, what is that road on the opposite side of the drainage? They were working on it last time, looks complete now, but also looks private. That was a lot of work to put that in.
    Somebody with too much money or it's going to get subdivided would be my guesses.

    After my trip up to Guac on Saturday, I took my truck to work and blew off the outside and the back with compressed air. After driving from Guac up to Cedar, I still had 1/4" deep dust on my bumper.

  25. #25
    should know better.....
    Reputation: neverwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    749
    Hey Crash, was that you on the Intense at about 6:15 pm?
    "Always Ride."

    -Anthony S.

  26. #26
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Hey Crash, was that you on the Intense at about 6:15 pm?
    I was there from 11:30 to 1:30 on Saturday, a little after STT GUY got there. And on a Lenz Behemoth.

  27. #27
    tep
    tep is offline
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    502
    not trying to jack the thread. I too will be out at Gooseberry this wknd.

    This is my first time out to UT for riding, and I'm going solo.

    I'm staying in Hurricane, and going to be riding Gooseberry on Sun and then hiking Zion on Mon.

    Just wondering how difficult it is too get lost on the trails?

    If anyone is going to be out there Sun and cares for a tag-along, let me know.......or is it that easy to get around?

    thanks for any input/insight/info, advice you can pass on,
    cheers,
    -tep

  28. #28
    should know better.....
    Reputation: neverwalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    749
    On a weekend, you'll be fine. Unless the weather is crap, expect to see a lot of riders. Bring a compass, or a gps. There is a "road" (dirt) that runs along the center of the mesa, west to east. Basic trails run along the south and north rims, with the road in the middle. But basically, follow blazes (paint on the rock) on whatever trail you ride. as long as you don't just stare at your front wheel, the trails are pretty straight forward. use that road as your bail-out back to the east, and your vehicle, if you get lost or tired.
    "Always Ride."

    -Anthony S.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by tep
    not trying to jack the thread. I too will be out at Gooseberry this wknd.

    This is my first time out to UT for riding, and I'm going solo.

    I'm staying in Hurricane, and going to be riding Gooseberry on Sun and then hiking Zion on Mon.

    Just wondering how difficult it is too get lost on the trails?

    If anyone is going to be out there Sun and cares for a tag-along, let me know.......or is it that easy to get around?

    thanks for any input/insight/info, advice you can pass on,
    cheers,
    -tep
    Gooseberry is marked VERY well. Remember, to get back to your car you can either go North or South until you get to the edge then head East. The anvil shaped mountain of Zion is the landmark of choice. GPS's and all that stuff are IMO a waste of time up there. Now on Little Creek.. GPS is really nice. I was a member of the Fakarwee Tribe (sound it out....) for about two hours once on Little Creek. If you can read English and follow white dots you can ride Gooseberry with success.

    With that said, what's your skill level? I don't need much arm-twisting to ride there and based on your comfort level, me and the Mrs.will be glad to show you around. It;s always nice to meet new folks. We'll be up there around 9am on Sunday.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    Somebody with too much money or it's going to get subdivided would be my guesses.
    Thats nearly a million dollar road. Some chuckle head was going to put "estate homes" around a golf course up there. Just what we need... another golf course. IIRC, one hold up was that Virgin was going to de-annex the land so that we would not have to provide fire or any other services and of course the realestate market collapsed and that was that.....

  31. #31
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972

    Goodtimes!

    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    Just got back last night after 3 1/2 days of riding:
    We stayed in St George, so our trip was biased a bit by road time, vs camping.
    Day one:
    Little Creek, then a fun tour by locals in St George in the late afternoon. Quite exhausting day, but really fun.
    Day two:
    Met our tour guides ("Team Sanchez") again, did Gooseberry Mesa, with play opportunities, then I had to get a buddy back to Vegas, but the other three of our group did a Grafton Mesa shuttle, that we had set up before Goose. Great day.
    Day three;
    Pretty tired from two full days of riding, we decided to go "softer" but do something different, so off to Thunder Mountain. What a beautiful drive, went up through Cedar City, then across and up to Ruby Canyon. Road went up and over 9900 feet, great views, lava fields, High alpine meadows, foliage etc. really good sightseeing, let alone going to ride one of the most visually remarkable places I've ever been to. Thunder Mountain, which we did as a shuttle. Still quite a bit of climbing involved, nothing crazy, but do not think that when done as a shuttle, there will be no climbing. Conditions as of Saturday the 17th, very dry and very powdery. some of the climbing was borderline due to traction issues with the deep powder. Some horses had softened things up pretty badly in places. high speed turns were very drifty. Just an incredible ride. Nice climbing leading to surreal landscape, followed by one of the most fun descents ever. nice exposure in a few spots, tight but totally rideable switchbacks, then the last mile or so along the bottom ultra-fast singletrack. I probably hit 30 mph in a few spots, really burning along, getting air on a series of whoops.
    Cannot say enough. the combo of riding terrain and scenery makes it a Must Do if you can get to it.
    Drove back through Zion, again, great back-country scenery, then a great lunch at Oscar's in Springdale.
    Then we hit the Guacamole Trail, fun easy singletrack to slickrock play, good rim views, bits of petrified wood laying around. Back to St. George. Really great day, lots of driving, but as an out of towner, I'd have been happy just doing the drive by itself, for the scenery, let alone the two rides as well.


    It was great to hook with you and your crew to ride, y'all throw down pretty dang well.........oh and I'm sorry if my complaining on Goose got anybody riled up, I was only half joking and really tired
    I like bikes.

  32. #32
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by tep

    Just wondering how difficult it is too get lost on the trails?
    This map has most of the trail options at Goose. The trail is probably the most used in SW Utah, so it's rare that you are there alone. However, there can be 15 cars in the parking lot, and you might ride all day without seeing anyone (other than in the distance).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SW Utah Road Trip, need some advice!-gooseberry-mesa-tf_edited-1-large-.jpg  


  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146
    Thanks a lot for that.

    Since I'll be spending a full day at Gooseberry, is there any trail route you know of that covers the most ground? I'd like to do 20 miles or more if possible =)

  34. #34
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Most of the people I ride with like to take the South Rim over to Hidden Canyon, out to the point and back on the North Rim. Myself, I get tired of doing it the same way always. I like to wander and see what comes up. The trails are all completely different when ridden in the opposite direction, and lots are worth riding twice.

  35. #35
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    tittiot, it is 39 degrees and raining in Cedar City right now (1:00 pm), so it will be snowing up on the Markagunt Plateau (Brianhead & VRRT).

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    tittiot, it is 39 degrees and raining in Cedar City right now (1:00 pm), so it will be snowing up on the Markagunt Plateau (Brianhead & VRRT).
    Thanks for letting me know! Since I'm not familiar with the elevation profiles, does that mean:

    Gooseberry - still dry and okay to ride
    Bunker Creek - high elevation in brian head, snowing right now, not okay to ride
    Thunder Mountain - still good to ride??
    J.E.M. Trail - still dry and okay to ride

  37. #37
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Gooseberry - still dry and okay to ride, trail is fine, road can be bad after lots of rain, so it will most likely be fine (5200' elevation)

    Bunker Creek - high elevation in brian head, snowing right now, not okay to ride snow might melt but the trail will be wet (11,000 to 8,000' elevation)

    Thunder Mountain - still good to ride?? can get nasty mud if very wet (7100 to 8300' elevation)

    J.E.M. Trail - still dry and okay to ride can also get nasty mud, but will probably be dried out (3400 to 3600' elevation)

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,057
    Yeah, like CTD said weather may have changed. We got rain/snow all night here last night (Ely, NV 200 miles due west of Cedar City/Brianhead ) which was turning to snow at midnight. Looks like there was a pretty good dumping up above 7000-8000'.

    The good news is that everything has been really dry the last month or more and it's supposed to warm up and dry up over the next three days so everything but the highest stuff (Brianhead, VRRT) should be fine.....maybe even epic.

    My favorite Gooseberry route is: Out on the South Rim trail, out-and-back on Hidden Canyon, then on to the South Rim and the Point, then back on the North Rim via yellow trail then circle around the Bowls and Ledges loop and Practice Loop until I get tired or it spits me out at the parking lot again. (You can't get lost, but you can wander around that area awhile before you find your way back to the trailhead).

    Also recommend Little Creek Mesa. Neverwalk's three day tour sounds just about right, although I'd substitute Rockville Bench (Slick Rock Swamp) for Guacamole for a short fill in ride after something else if you don't want to contend with the poof dirt road.

    If doing JEM, start at the end of the Hurricane Rim trail near the towers and ride up Gould's Canyon to Gould's Rim then down JEM clear to Sheep Camp bridge then backtrack about a mile and a half to the Hurricane Rim trail then follow it back to your car. About 25 miles and 2.5-3 hours of fun desert singletrack.

    Ditto what some other's have said about Thunder Mountain. Not the most technical trail but well worth the trip over for the flow and the otherworldly views. Do it early morning or late afternoon for the best light.

    Have fun.
    Last edited by KRob; 10-22-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

    www.stuckinthespokes.com

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    146
    Thanks a lot guys. THIS IS SO HELPFUL.

    Looks like the itinerary is set. A few last questions to make sure we have a place to sleep at night!

    1) If we arrive in the Bryce area at 9am, will we have enough time to do the Cassidy-Losee loop and Thunder Mountain? (we don't have a shuttle this day) Sounds like we should be doing Thunder Mountain second for the early evening views.

    That night we'd like to car camp somewhere nearby. Not looking for anything special here, just a place to sleep. Are there any car camping areas that aren't too crowded that don't require a permit near the trailheads in Bryce?

    2) Where are the car camping spots near Gooseberry? Are they right next to the trailhead? Are they easy to find?

    Thanks a lot fellas (and ladies)!
    Kevin

    Edit: According to these two maps we may not even have to get off our bikes to do both Cassidy-Losee and Thunder Mountain. Is this common?

  40. #40
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    1 - It depends on how fast you ride and you will take a bunch of time taking pictures on Thunder Mountain!
    Red Canyon main camping area is closed for the season. But, from the Thunder Mountain bottom parking area, if you drive West and turn on your first dirt rode on your right, just find a place to pull off the dirt road and camp (and it is free).

    2 - Gooseberry camping is obvious.

  41. #41
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    1 - It depends on how fast you ride and you will take a bunch of time taking pictures on Thunder Mountain!
    Red Canyon main camping area is closed for the season. But, from the Thunder Mountain bottom parking area, if you drive West and turn on your first dirt rode on your right, just find a place to pull off the dirt road and camp (and it is free).

    2 - Gooseberry camping is obvious.
    There is also a campground above Red Canyon, along the road that takes you to the upper Thunder Mountain trailhead.

    This also says the campground in Red Canyon might be open depending on the weather.

    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/recrea...redcanyon.html

    You should be OK on the Cassidy-Losee loop and Thunder Mountain. Cassidy will dump you out just above the Red Canyon visitors center on Highway 12. You can continue up the bike path for TM or head back to you vehicle to restock/eat/nap/ whatever. It looks like the weather should be real good.

  42. #42
    Has skills-will travel
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    There is also a campground above Red Canyon, along the road that takes you to the upper Thunder Mountain trailhead.

    This also says the campground in Red Canyon might be open depending on the weather.

    http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/dixie/recrea...redcanyon.html

    You should be OK on the Cassidy-Losee loop and Thunder Mountain. Cassidy will dump you out just above the Red Canyon visitors center on Highway 12. You can continue up the bike path for TM or head back to you vehicle to restock/eat/nap/ whatever. It looks like the weather should be real good.
    I was just there this past weekend - campground is closed for the season. Probably due to the states lack of funding?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    All trails in Virgin/Hurricane area are excellent. We didn't get rain here... it went all around us. We could really use a little to knock the dust down.

    Enjoy!

  44. #44
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by mooddude
    I was just there this past weekend - campground is closed for the season. Probably due to the states lack of funding?
    It's Federal, not state. They may reopen it for the Bambi hunt, I know they reopen the Teah campground at Navajo for it.The campground by the upper trailhead is not gated, so it should be usable.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.