Sundance downhill course- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sundance downhill course

Just in case you wanted to ride the DH course at Sundance this weekend you might make other plans. I drove down there today only to make one run and find out that it was closed, at least the most fun part, and that it will be closed all weekend according to the front desk guy so they can work on it. There are also two big snowbanks right off the road. As much as I try to be supportive of the lift service we have here, all I can say is Utah is so lame! Anyway would have been nice if they would have posted to on there web site! If anyone hears anything different please let us know.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sounds All Mountain.

You win the Post count here. 4 million +. That's motivation.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    BTW Insane-O, you better post up your 'race resume' in the Humdinger Thread. With 4+ million posts already, you need to throw a million or two more into that effort.

McGaper Ollie B getting All Mountain on the Bountiful Bomber circa '08. Insert Vespa noises here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Good to know, I almost stuck around SLC so I could ride the course this weekend but heading south instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Dude I am pretty sure that is 4 billion posts, so he did something to seriously screw with it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie B
    Just in case you wanted to ride the DH course at Sundance this weekend you might make other plans. I drove down there today only to make one run and find out that it was closed, at least the most fun part, and that it will be closed all weekend according to the front desk guy so they can work on it. There are also two big snowbanks right off the road. As much as I try to be supportive of the lift service we have here, all I can say is Utah is so lame! Anyway would have been nice if they would have posted to on there web site! If anyone hears anything different please let us know.
    So, you are saying just the short steep section through the woods is closed, but the rest of the trails are open?
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Yes, the short steep section in the trees. I won't assume the rest is open because I did not ask about it. But as you know you can ride around the steep section.

mtbr member
    Let me make that more clear. The rest of the trail is open except for the steep section in the trees.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was down there today too, for the first time. I must admit I was VERY dissapointed with the whole trail system. What a waste of time, gas, and money. I for one will never go back. When I think of downhill lift trails I think of steep, fast, knarly...not smooth single track suitable for hardtails. Get real Sundance
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    I was down there today too, for the first time. I must admit I was VERY dissapointed with the whole trail system. What a waste of time, gas, and money. I for one will never go back. When I think of downhill lift trails I think of steep, fast, knarly...not smooth single track suitable for hardtails. Get real Sundance
    Looks like you brought the wrong bike. Next time bring your Enduro with some mid-ply tires and do some scouting. I have a blast there on anything from my 4X bike to my Reign X. You have be a bit creative and willing to pedal a bit, but the riding is fun if you are good in the corners. Personally, if the lift was faster I'd ride there more than DV.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i love sundance actually and go there often. it is only 15 min away but i think they do a pretty good job. the reason the lifts are so slow is because they make most of their money off scenic lifts. sucks for bikers, but the non-bikers pay the bills...but yeah with a hardtail you can def go as fast as anyone on a dh bike. i'll be up there on my am bike most of the time though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The DH trail was actually open this weekend. I was the first up on Friday when they opened and it was only closed for the first half of the day. Saturday they closed due to weather and Sunday there wasn't a XC bike anywhere to be found. Somewhere close to 60 DH riders on the mountain.
    The only part of the DH trail that was closed after the initial opening on Friday, was the section of road at the top that does have a couple of large mounds of snow covering the trail. It's a cat track during the winter and sees little sun except early morning so they are probably going to have to break out the shovels before the race next Monday.
    Sundance may not be the gnarliest place to ride but their DH course is legit and the rest of the trails are fast and fun if you know where you're going. One word of advice, direct questions to someone in the bike shop or a lifty before you ask someone at the frontdesk.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by bquinn
    Yeah, the first time I went down there to ride it was to find and practice the Stupid D race course and I accidentally went down the DH on a 5" travel Motolite. Besides all the moondust in and around the technical section (where they later built up a bermed retaining wall) there was about 12 feet of trail where I was temporarily puckered on such a bike.

Like Scott said, take your trail bike, a set of knee pads and your girlfriend who's learning to ride and make a day of it. Pretty epic scenery, but it's not a DH resort by anymeans.

mtbr member
    Just so you know dirtwhip, I did ask the liftie and his response was "I think it will open this afternoon". On that response I went to talk to the folks at the front desk who told me firmly that it would not open on the weekend. You would figure that the people at the front would know. Maybe you should not advise people.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Over 4 Billion Served

It's obvious that OllieB knows his shizzle with over 4 billion posts . I mean seriously.

If it were me I'd be more than a little torqued to If:

A. I found the one and only DH trail at a resort taped off midway without at least a sign at the top saying 'Hey, I know you just paid for a lift pass and the front counter people probably didn't let you know that this run was closed, but here's a sign stating it as such now that you've spent all that time putting your armor on and spending 45 minutes on our slow ass lift to get up here and receive this info."

B. No one except dirtwhip's friend who washes dishes at the restaurant and spends most of the day hiding behind a counter in the kitchen sleeping knew the one and only DH run was closed halfway down and didn't let anyone know.

I'm Lovin' It!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The OP asked anyone with info other than what he had to chime in so that's what I did. If he felt like my last sentence was a jab that's too bad but I was just trying to give some helpful info because unfortunately, I do know a lot of the half-wits that work there and the front desk doesn't know their elbow from their ass. I know lifties may not be paid for their brilliant wisdom either but I would expect someone who works on the mountain as opposed to at the mountain to know a little better. I concede to the 4 million posts.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtwhip
    I concede to the 4 million posts.
    4 billion posts.

I made the same mistake first round to but was quickly corrected and chastized by the local NorweiganRepresentative. Last thing this Thread needs is that tall, blonde hair-blue eyed [email protected] coming back and b!tch slapping people around again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I stand corrected. Please keep the bad man away.

mtbr member
    I agree as well, and next time I will inquire a little deeper.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Now that everyone has kissed and made up (except that tall, blonde hair, blue-eyed Norwegian), I think the real debate here is what gear ratio, in the emo-fixie sense, is best for the resort? Here's my set up from 2 seasons ago (I retire my bikes each year after racing Sundance BTW).

I found that with a 96 tooth ring up front I am almost guaranteed a chance to walk my bike between the last berm and the little wooden booter at the bottom. Yeah, you could call it strategy and it just gives the bike that little bit of zing, pep and snap.

Just make sure your fjork has the proper offset and camber.

Bashguards are for pussies BTW.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Haha man I am sorry, I forgot about your specialized story and how sensitive you are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If we were truly emo we wouldn't need gears at all.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Sundance: A Public Appology

So I opted not to race this weekend. Why, I don't know and to be honest, I don't care.

Instead a small group of us went down to Sundance on Sunday just to ride for riding's sake.

Ever since my first trip down to Sundance I've only ridden/focused on the race course and nothing else. Lap after lap after lap of sheer boredom. Well, on Sunday the plan was to ride everything else. Granted, it's not the most epic destination, but on a short travel trail bike and a pair of light knee pads there's a decent handful of fun and rather flowy trails down there. And...gasp...berms! There are berms everywhere! I mean WTF Deer Valley and your lame ass tight, off camber, speed killing turns?!?!

I do need to stop here and clarify: shortish travel trail bikes are ideal. If you think you're going to have a ripping good time on your 45lb Kona Stinky in a full DH kit you're going to get worked. There is plenty of flow, but there is also plenty of pedalling and nothing technical save for a few tiny rock drops here and there that you can roll over if need be.

$20 is a decent price for a lift pass given how slow it is and the fact that they've hired a 16 year old girl to 'unload' your bike at the top. 'Unload' meaning she was unable to get mr.welcorn's bike off the hook and it took a nice solo ride without him. Give her until the end of the summer and she'll have the shoulders and back of a line backer I'm sure.

Anyway, I stand corrected.

mtbr member
    CrockyRider, you're only like 6'2", the least you could do was lift your own bike off the hook. But I could understand not wanting to set your back your training for the Humdingy with a rotator cuff injury. We missed you Sat am at the Super Don't race. I believe they had a 42 person turnout. As much as I want Trail Bike to take off we keep getting better turnouts for Super D...

Speaking of a great race were you don't have to load or unload your own bike. Are you going to do the Enduro in Ely? I'm planning on going, but my wife hasn't decided if she wants to make it a family trip or not.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    CrockyRider, you're only like 6'2", the least you could do was lift your own bike off the hook. But I could understand not wanting to set your back your training for the Humdingy with a rotator cuff injury. We missed you Sat am at the Super Don't race. I believe they had a 42 person turnout. As much as I want Trail Bike to take off we keep getting better turnouts for Super D...

Speaking of a great race were you don't have to load or unload your own bike. Are you going to do the Enduro in Ely? I'm planning on going, but my wife hasn't decided if she wants to make it a family trip or not.
    Uhh..hello, I'm much superior in height than those shortish 6'2" folk . And my bike made it off the hook just fine. It was the other 6'4" tall bastard I was with who's bike took a ride.

I saw where Ron ran the Stupid D and it looked like he changed it up a bit and it did look a bit more fun than in the past. I had my entry form filled out and then looked down at my gut and calculated the number of times I'd actually ridden a bike this year on one hand and decided I didn't have 14-16 minutes of puking sprint power in my shabby legs.

I'm probably going to say no to the Tears, Fears and Beers race unless someone puts a hot pepper up my ass. I actually was on my way out to race it last year and while gassing up in Bendover, NV I noticed that the swingarm on my plastic Mojo was cracked and turned around. Then I found out it turned into a freezing rain fest. However, that event does sound super duper fun.

And...when I ran into Ron at Sundance he indicated that the Dark Hollow Endurance DH event was looking more and more promissing and was going to be limited to Cat 1/Pro's only as there would be a cap on the number of participants (but he wasn't 100% on any of it just yet). Which means I'm going to have to renew my McUSA Cycling license as I really want to do that event so what little racing funds I have would have to go into that box.

And And...Wolf Creek Trail Bike course is always a fun one. I didn't care too much for the Super D course used last year with the exception of the last 1/3 of it which had some really fun/big/sweeping berms and since no one showed up to race in my class: Geriatric Gapers Cat69 so I just sat down and pedalled slowly and then heckled all the guys on 29'er hard tails passing me.

Riding mostly for fun this year. I'll let you guys know when the High Uinta stuff dries out and show you some epic and people free trails up there.

mtbr member
    I don't know if I'd say the Super D course was more fun than last year, but definitely less hateful. The racers even insisted that Ron make the start at the top of the hill instead of having to climb to the top.

The 10 day forecast for Ely, NV is looking good. If anything it looks like it will be a bit warm. If you change your mind let me know. I'm pretty commited to going.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I don't know if I'd say the Super D course was more fun than last year, but definitely less hateful. The racers even insisted that Ron make the start at the top of the hill instead of having to climb to the top.

The 10 day forecast for Ely, NV is looking good. If anything it looks like it will be a bit warm. If you change your mind let me know. I'm pretty commited to going.
    Yeah, I saw the blue line under the lift rather and heading down the double track rather than 20 feet down the fire road with that nice, loose climb right at the gun. However, if you're not suffering and going through lactic acid hell within the first 3 seconds it's not the Sundance Super D.

I'm pretty certain Ely is not in the stars this year, as much as I'd like to compete in that event and considering I now have the perfect bike for such a race. The format sounds ideal with multiple runs over a varied course. I'm hoping that the Humdinger will fill a bit of that void for the local yokels here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This was actually my first time even riding the Sundance DH course, and I guess since all I've heard about was how much it sucks (from interweb people and non-interweb), it was a pleasant surprise for me. I actually really enjoyed the track - nice mix of all kinds of terrain. And a relatively painless track to start off the season, as compared with something like Brian Head. I think the scariest part was the road though...

As far as Super D vs trail bike, seems like there is just a lot of crossover. Frankly, trail bike DH is what Super D should be. Archie's was fairly hateful but the rest of the course was pretty damn fun. And even Archie's wasn't that bad.

Keeping fingers crossed for Dark Hollow...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    This was actually my first time even riding the Sundance DH course, and I guess since all I've heard about was how much it sucks (from interweb people and non-interweb), it was a pleasant surprise for me. I actually really enjoyed the track - nice mix of all kinds of terrain. And a relatively painless track to start off the season, as compared with something like Brian Head. I think the scariest part was the road though...

As far as Super D vs trail bike, seems like there is just a lot of crossover. Frankly, trail bike DH is what Super D should be. Archie's was fairly hateful but the rest of the course was pretty damn fun. And even Archie's wasn't that bad.

Keeping fingers crossed for Dark Hollow...
    The thing about racing at Sundance is that it used to be the last race of the year. Which was great for Stupid D as you had a chance to get in shape. Kind of the opposite mentallity for the DH like you mentioned as it's a fairly tame course to get your feet wet for the season.

Also, since I've been competing Sundance has always had the biggest Super D turn out of any of the other races.
    I agree with you on the Trail Bike vs. Super D sentiment, but I've debated this 'till I was red in the face so I'm not going down that road again.

In 2008 Ron asked me to come up with the Super D course at Wolf Creek and I thought it was a hit. Two short climbs and lots of fun, fast, flowy down (apparently P-Town thought otherwise and opted to finish the race via the DH course, but it was all good). Only problem was that the mountain is short so we had to cut across the entire face to get the times into the 6-7 minute range-and even that was a challenge.

Last year they cut a new trail going in the completely opposite direction that kicked you out into the adjoining neighborhood and you had to ride back through the streets to get back to the resort. It was ok, but I swear 2/3's of it was climbing. Not really my idea of a Super 'D', but whatever....

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I'll let you guys know when the High Uinta stuff dries out and show you some epic and people free trails up there.
    KMON!!! Shhhhhhh

I know you showed me the trails, but my girlfriends family has 500 acres and a "cabin" 2 miles from the trailhead, and I'd like to see them remain people free.

Her uncle that lives up there said there are many more, and some "better", trails than our favorite up there too that he'd ba happy to show us.

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    KMON!!! Shhhhhhh

I know you showed me the trails, but my girlfriends family has 500 acres and a "cabin" 2 miles from the trailhead, and I'd like to see them remain people free.

Her uncle that lives up there said there are many more, and some "better", trails than our favorite up there too that he'd ba happy to show us.

B
    You're right. Probably shouldn't show Scott that stuff. And it was OllieB who showed me the trails in the first place. So how fitting.

Yeah, I've been to her 'cabin' and met her 'uncle' too. I had to get a tetnis shot after staying there as I think I either snagged my elbow on an exposed 18th Century nail, was bitten by a wild animal or both.

And I wasn't able to walk upright after her 'uncle' said, "Meet me 'round behind the shed. I have something I want to show you." He got me twice.

I definitely won't be falling for that crap again.

Come ride my sweet trails.

Members who have read this thread: 0