Suggestions for taking a beginner to Moab?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Suggestions for taking a beginner to Moab?

I'm moving to san francisco, but to get there we're driving through moab. If I have probably a full day plus a morning half day, what trails should I do that would make both a beginner and someone who rides 5 days a week happy? My girlfriend's in good shape but has only been riding for 1 summer. Do you think she could do slickrock without hating me? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

alien exchange student

Some good news (and bad news)

Howdy, if your girlfriend is fit she will be able to enjoy some Moab trails. That said, Slickrock probably isn't one of them. If you really want to try, go the Practice Loop first. It isn't easier, just shorter. You could even just go up and hike it before you try to bring the bikes. Moab could probably support a drive-in divorce court over these types of situations!

I'd recommend Klondike Bluffs. It is relatively easy and has a cool hike with great views into Arches National Park at the end. Gemini Bridges is pretty but requires a shuttle and is pretty much a gravel road. It is, however, nearly all downhill.

Feel free to email with any questions ([email protected]).

Cheers!

Mel

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Agree with Mel's suggestions on Klondike and Gemini. Slickrock could be worh a shot as well if she has some idea what she is doing, the practice loop is probably the way to go. Just be careful on that one because the penalties for failure are pretty severe in spots. Take more water than you'll need and ride as early as possible, it's going to be hot if this is happening in the next few months.

Also, if neither of you have been there you need to make a trip through Arches Nat'l Park, I'd highly recommend a hike out to Delicate Arch (maybe around sunset on the evening you'll be there as it is a decent length hike).
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Bored Carp
    Klondike Bluffs and Gemini, for sure. You don't have to shuttle to ride the Gemini system.

We took a new MTB'r on those 2 trails last fall, he had a blast and spends too much on MTB parts now. :-)

C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Thanks

Thanks, looks like we'll do Klondike for sure. There's been a change to the trip, and now there will be one beginner who rides MTB at least a couple times a month (the gf), my bro, who used to ride and has good technical skills but has become fat and lazy, and my friend who's never ridden MTB. It looks like i'll slip off with my brother early one morning to ride slickrock... Thanks again for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Arches

Oh yeah, and we're definately going to Arches too, either for a day or an afternoon. Should be sweet.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by lw2385
    Oh yeah, and we're definately going to Arches too, either for a day or an afternoon. Should be sweet.
    Make sure you do the hike out to Delicate Arch, all the stuff near the roads is great but hike is a couple hours well spent. Same as the biking, bring plenty of water and some snacks as it will be hot and you'll probably want to hang out at the overlook for a while once you get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

arches

That looks awesome. We'll definately do the hike. I'm all about getting away from the roads and crowds. Have you been to canyonlands national park? We were thinking about going there too, and maybe camping there instead of near moab, cause it's 10 degrees cooler.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Man, I need to go back to Arches. . . maybe in the spring. .

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Make sure you do the hike out to Delicate Arch, all the stuff near the roads is great but hike is a couple hours well spent.

A couple hours! It's 4 miles round trip!

And crowded.

Canyonlands has very fine camping, and less crowded than Arches.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    A couple hours! It's 4 miles round trip!

And crowded.

Canyonlands has very fine camping, and less crowded than Arches.
    Isn't a couple of miles in an hour a pretty average hiking pace? Seems like it has taken about an hour each way every time we've done it and usually a couple hours relaxing and enjoying the view.

This is straight from the NPS website:
    Delicate Arch
    Starting Point: Wolfe Ranch parking area
    Length: 3 miles (4.8 km) round trip
    Time: 2 to 3 hours
    Elevation change: 480 feet (146 meters)
    Take at least 1 quart (1 liter) of water per person! There is no shade. Open slickrock with some exposure to heights. The first half-mile is a wide, well-defined trail. Upon reaching the slickrock, follow the rock cairns. The trail climbs gradually and levels out toward the top of this rock face. Just before you get to Delicate Arch, the trail goes along a rock ledge for about 200 yards.

Agreed on the camping info, canyonlands is probably the way to go if you don't mind the driving back and forth.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info everyone. On a related note, what's the cheapest place to rent bikes near moab? Probably two people renting, I'm pretty sure any modern FS, or even hardtail, though i doubt anybody rents those anymore, would do the trick.

alien exchange student

Bike Rentals

Hey, I think most shops in town charge about the same ($40 and up) for a full suspension day rental. They compete more on the brands they rent and the availability than on price. If you want to check them all out, the "links" page on my website (moabtrailguide.com) has an active link to all the shops in town. My advice is to take it as an opportunity to try that bike you've always wanted to ride or to scope out your next purchase.

Cheers!

Mel

Members who have read this thread: 0