Suggestions for 4 days in Hurricane?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Suggestions for 4 days in Hurricane?

Hello all

A group of us are coming to Hurricane area for 4 days of riding at the end of October.

Does anyone have suggestions on the best trails to ride?

I have, of course , scoped out MTB Project, but nothing beats local knowledge.

We are all intermediate to advanced riders with good endurance, so 20 plus miles is not a problem.

Saw that there are some trails on the other side of the 15, closer to st George

Thanks

Doug in San Diego

mtbr member
    These guys:
    Hurricane - Over The Edge Sports
    are a great source of local info. Also, the "Trip Planner" section of this thread.
    Some more info: Hurricane and Gooseberry Area Mountain Bike Trails
    I liked Little Creek Mesa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkMuaUhXfdM As I recall, it's very intermediate appropriate, though when I rode it, right after it opened, route finding was a bit of a challenge. I imagine it's better by now. I also liked Guacamole.....I seem to remember that being intermediate appropriate also.

Gooseberry, of course. Just walk what you can't ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yep, what MSU said. Must do's: Gooseberry and Little Creek. If you want to make sure everyone is ready to ride Little Creek, first ride Guacamole (if everyone liked that and wants a bit more tech, you're good to go for LC). If you want to make sure everyone is up for Gooseberry, first ride Little Creek (if everyone liked that and is up for something harder, then hit Gooseberry). Over the Edge runs a shop ride every Saturday and they hit LC a lot which is great as it take the way finding aspect out of it. If you go on your own be sure to have the Trailforks app on your phone.

For a fun flowy ride I suggest Bearclaw Poppy-Stucki Springs combo. You can also hit Zen trail while you're there (Zen is not flowy... it's a great techincal desert ride that's different than the mesas). If you have the legs, you can do all of it in a day.

For a mellow day in between the other rides, the JEM network would be a great option, but for me it's not as good as the options above. Or alternatively, if you want to turn up the gnar, Grafton is your ticket.

Enjoy!

Your Best Friend
    Fyi, Guacamole is much more techy than Little Creek. LC can be techy but you have to go off of the beaten path to find it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I head out to the area from Oceanside at least 3X a year and we also do 4 day trips. I usually hook up with Silentfoe at least one day and usually do the shop ride with Over the Edge on Saturday mornings. They go somewhere different each week so definitely check in with them if that interests you. On our group trips, I usually have at least one person with us who has never ridden the area. I'm headed out Oct 5-8 with (2) virgins.

There is so much variety out there that it's definitely hard to choose what to ride sometimes. Gooseberry Mesa is by far the crown jewel out there and without exception everybody always enjoys ride the JEM trail and all it's links (we ride it from Virgin as an out & back = about 15'ish miles). I usually take people to ride Guacamole on day one when we arrive to give them a taste of what the riding is like on Gooseberry. Some people call it Baby Gooseberry or Gooseberry Lite but it has some tech for sure. Wire Mesa is a much easier trail if you want to start simpler on day one.

I may be in the minority but in *my* experience, Little Creek Mesa takes the most out of you. I've learned that if we ride that early in the trip, people get zapped sooner on other rides. The area is also the easiest to get lost, both on the trail and getting to the the TH if you don't know where you're going. The best part of the ride is the variety of terrain within the trail system. It has it all and epic scenery to boot. If you want to step it up a notch in chunky tech, check out Grafton Mesa.

Don't discount the Boy Scout Trails though I admit, it's a love/hate trail system for many. Rhythm & Blues is over that way as well and frequently overlooked but it can be fun, especially as a 2nd quickie ride in tech late afternoon. Then of course, there's Zen, Barrel Roll/Suicidal Tendencies, Bear Claw Poppy (my least favorite) and Church Rocks over in St George. If it happens to rain while you're there, Church Rocks and the aforementioned Boy Scout Trails will be the 1st systems to dry out. Do NOT try to get up the road to Guacamole if it's wet and the road to Gooseberry can be a mess after the rain as well. Over the Edge or @Silentfoe usually know when it's good to go.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 09-18-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Here was the schedule for our SW Knollyfest we held down there this Spring:

Thursday AM: Zen and Barrels
    Thursday PM: Guacamole
    Friday: AM Gooseberry Mesa
    Friday PM Grafton Mesa
    Saturday: Little Creek shop ride am
    Saturday PM: Flying Monkey
    Sunday am: some folks did some JEM stuff before flying out.

This was mostly advanced intermediate and expert riders. Not everyone did every ride, but every one raved about the trails they did.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Here was the schedule for our SW Knollyfest we held down there this Spring:

Thursday AM: Zen and Barrels
    Thursday PM: Guacamole
    Friday: AM Gooseberry Mesa
    Friday PM Grafton Mesa
    Saturday: Little Creek shop ride am
    Saturday PM: Flying Monkey
    Sunday am: some folks did some JEM stuff before flying out.

This was mostly advanced intermediate and expert riders. Not everyone did every ride, but every one raved about the trails they did.
    Damn. That's a full schedule.

mtbr member

Suggestions for 4 days in Hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Damn. That's a full schedule.

Ha ha. Yeah we pushed a bit. Got off the trail at dusk every day. I wanted to make sure all those folks visiting from other places got to experience all the good stuff. You can rest when you get back to work, right?

That was a bit much for some, but I think we had at least 4-5 guys do every ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Wow! Great replies!

We will definitely try to hit as much as we can, and possibly go on that shop ride.

Thanks for all the well thought out replies

Doug

mtbr member
    FYI, when the shop ride goes to Little Creek, they generally do NOT do the standard "loop" rides likes most people would expect based on the rides posted on Trailforks, MTB Project and the like. They bounce around all over, going in areas many others don't and frequently stop to "session" some features, drops or techie sections. I've been out there 8-10 times and sometimes I have no idea where I'm at on the shop rides to LC.

KRob....I took our group to Zen on day 1 a few years ago right after driving into town from San Diego. I ride it CCW and that 1st climb had people wondering what they had signed up for. On day 2, we got some rain in the morning so I took them to Church Rocks and they had a blast with the easier terrain. Boy Scout Trails that afternoon had them running for the jacuzzi with post ride frosties as soon as we got back to the condo.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    FYI, when the shop ride goes to Little Creek, they generally do NOT do the standard "loop" rides likes most people would expect based on the rides posted on Trailforks, MTB Project and the like. They bounce around all over, going in areas many others don't and frequently stop to "session" some features, drops or techie sections. I've been out there 8-10 times and sometimes I have no idea where I'm at on the shop rides to LC.

KRob....I took our group to Zen on day 1 a few years ago right after driving into town from San Diego. I ride it CCW and that 1st climb had people wondering what they had signed up for. On day 2, we got some rain in the morning so I took them to Church Rocks and they had a blast with the easier terrain. Boy Scout Trails that afternoon had them running for the jacuzzi with post ride frosties as soon as we got back to the condo.
    People underestimate Zen. There is 1400+ feet of climbing over 6.5 miles. I laugh hard at the people who do it decked out in DH gear.