Stolen Bikes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stolen Bikes

Jun 2007

Stolen Bikes

Unfortunatley my wife and I had our one year old titus motolites stolen from our garage last week. It seems to me that our chances of recovering these is nil. I can't decide if I should just go out and buy new bikes or wait and see if they turn up. On a related note I've heard that Revolution Mountain Sports isn't what it used to be before Matt sold it. True? Are there any other titus dealers in the area?

May 2007
    Well its summer and the methheads are back at it again. May I suggest to all of you who have had your bikes stolen to check at the downtown homeless shelters... ASAP. You might have to go late at night... that is if you are brave enough. There is a great story of a guy who rescued his vp-free from the shitheads last summer this way...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Damn.

If you have the serial numbers I would report them to the police, and get into thier stolen property database. I would also make up a flyer with the bikes info, size specifics etc and take them to LBS's. If the were taken by a random noncycling joe he will try to get a shop to tell him what they are worth. Sorry to hear that hope you get them back.

I don't know where you heard that about Revolution, but my experience has been quite the oppisite. Since the change in ownership I think revolution has improved alot. They have cleaned/straighted up the interior of the store alot, and added more racks for bikes. The racks were needed because they have started carrying alot more bikes. They have added Giant to the line of bikes that they carry. I also think the repair turnover is much faster now. There are always more employees in the store then I used to see. Personally I think the shop is running better then ever before.

Yes there are other shops that carry titus. I know Bikers Edge in Kaysville (10 min north of slc) carrys them. Check titus's website they have a list of dealers. If you have pics of your bikes put them on here too. If I see them out on the trail I may ask some questions for you. There are not a whole lot of titus's out there, which improves your chances of recovery.

Sorry and best of luck
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMMAROO
    Well its summer and the methheads are back at it again. May I suggest to all of you who have had your bikes stolen to check at the downtown homeless shelters... ASAP. You might have to go late at night... that is if you are brave enough. There is a great story of a guy who rescued his vp-free from the shitheads last summer this way...
    Same dummy who left his VP-Free on his rack at Squatters at 10PM?

If your bike was jacked out of your garage, don't bother checking the shelters or Pioneer Park...I'd only suggest that if your bike was stolen in the downtown area while it was locked up somewhere or on your car. Keep an eye out on Cragslist, MTBr Classifieds, and eBay. Report the theft to the police, and alert bike shops to the theft with a flyer or something.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Same dummy who left his VP-Free on his rack at Squatters at 10PM?

If your bike was jacked out of your garage, don't bother checking the shelters etc... etc...
    At this point, it is not how you got your bike stolen, but how you get it back. The moral of the story of the guy with the Vp-Free is that with enough intelligence, persistence, luck and yes BALLS, you CAN get your bike back. But you have to act and take responsiblibity for it because someone else is not going to find it for you.
    Sorry but the police really don't give a rats ass about a stolen bike. If it shows up in a drug bust or something, fine, but they are not going to go searching for it. They have more important things to do. And placing flyers in the local shops may make you feel better, but that bike is forgotten a second after someone looks at the flyer. (People who hang out at bike shops usually don't know bike theives anyway.) By the time the bike reaches eBay or craigslist it is going to have a completely different set of components, and probably a new paint job, to the point of being totally unrecognizable.
    That said, leave no stone unturned and do report it the police, and check craiglist etc.
    The bike theft racket in SLC operates valley wide, from Murray to the Aves, and it is totally drug related; so be careful! So while your bike may not be at the homeless shelter, it is just possible that someone there either knows where it is or who stole it and will tell you with just the right gentle persusion . It just depends on how bad you want it back I guess. Good Luck!
    Last edited by AMMAROO; 06-12-2007 at 05:49 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0