Stolen Bike in SLC!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Stolen Bike in SLC!!!!

Hey all,
    My girlfriend's Giant Iguana Disc Silver with Pink Bontrager Ergo Grips was stolen this morning at the Ballpark Trax station. Clipped a Krypto cable and snagged it. Anyone sees it please contact me @ [email protected]. Reward if found. Thanks!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Damn Thieves!

Damn Thieves! Always have to ruin it for other people.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    bike thieves are lower than child rapists- my car was broken into sunday night- stole my bmx bike in the back seat
    jeremy
    owner of Digital bike co

mtbr member

Ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by FBC2008
    bike thieves are lower than child rapists- my car was broken into sunday night- stole my bmx bike in the back seat
    That is not true, don't even say $#^@ like that - that's embarrassing.

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer
    Hey all,
    My girlfriend's Giant Iguana Disc Silver with Pink Bontrager Ergo Grips was stolen this morning at the Ballpark Trax station. Clipped a Krypto cable and snagged it. Anyone sees it please contact me @ [email protected]. Reward if found. Thanks!!!!
    Hey, this could be a total coincedence but I saw a guy downtown on the way home from work tonight with a fairly new looking silver Giant with disc brakes push/riding across the intersection of 300S and State St. Caught my attention right away due to the pushing (noticed there was no chain on the bike at all) and the fact that it was a nice looking bike and the guy definitely didn't appear to be much of a biker. Best description I could give is maybe 35-40ish, native american, longish hair, jean shorts and I think a grey shirt. First thing that popped into my head was that the bike had to be stolen. Not sure if he was one of them but he reminded me of a group of really obnoxious and pushy beggars that hang out down there all the time.

I'll keep a much closer eye out for it down there and will take it back if at all possible (will look for the pink grips next time), or email and call the cops. Wish I had sen this post yesterday so I could have paid a little more attention to the grips. I focking hate bike thieves.

Do you happen to have any pics of the bike (or a similar one from the web)? I think I would recognize the graphics.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Hey, this could be a total coincedence but I saw a guy downtown on the way home from work tonight with a fairly new looking silver Giant with disc brakes push/riding across the intersection of 300S and State St. Caught my attention right away due to the pushing (noticed there was no chain on the bike at all) and the fact that it was a nice looking bike and the guy definitely didn't appear to be much of a biker. Best description I could give is maybe 35-40ish, native american, longish hair, jean shorts and I think a grey shirt. First thing that popped into my head was that the bike had to be stolen. Not sure if he was one of them but he reminded me of a group of really obnoxious and pushy beggars that hang out down there all the time.

I'll keep a much closer eye out for it down there and will take it back if at all possible (will look for the pink grips next time), or email and call the cops. Wish I had sen this post yesterday so I could have paid a little more attention to the grips. I focking hate bike thieves.

Do you happen to have any pics of the bike (or a similar one from the web)? I think I would recognize the graphics.
    WOW! That's the bike, I'm sure of it. Below is a pic of a similiar bike. I bet the hangar broke on it, that's why its chainless, I had bent it back that day. That is RIGHT where it was taken as well. My phone is dead (went through the wash) but you can call 802-318-5810 if you see it. Def a reward here as well, we would love to get that bike back as it's my girlfriends only transportation right now. I'll be cruising around the area looking for this guy. THANKS SO MUCH! Let's hope we can grab it and please let me know if you need any more info from me!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Also, decals on fork are removed and there are two super skinny zip ties holding the front brake line on. Thanks again!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Make sure you call the cops and tell them it has been sighted. This changed it from "not a dman thing done" to possibly "actually on the lookout" and hopefully you can salvage it. You'd be surprised how many times I bet they have even driven by this person...

A friend had some odd off road tires stolen off his vehicle one (literally left it sitting on cinderblocks), somehow he was able to effectively communicate with the cops to have them looking for it. A few years go by and one night a cop is chasing someone through some random back yards and comes across the tires. Returned! Thought I would mention the story..

mtbr member
    You need to root through the homeless shelters and pioneer park - that's where I found my stolen Ellsworth a couple years ago.

If you aren't so lucky to have cops 20 feet away as I did in the park when I found my bike, bring a couple friends. FYI, the SLCPD told me when I filed the report that I was allowed to use whatever force was necessary to get it back if I found it on my own. Not that intimidating the Listerine Nation is difficult, but still...
    Last edited by bleu; 08-01-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer
    WOW! That's the bike, I'm sure of it. Below is a pic of a similiar bike. I bet the hangar broke on it, that's why its chainless, I had bent it back that day. That is RIGHT where it was taken as well. My phone is dead (went through the wash) but you can call 802-318-5810 if you see it. Def a reward here as well, we would love to get that bike back as it's my girlfriends only transportation right now. I'll be cruising around the area looking for this guy. THANKS SO MUCH! Let's hope we can grab it and please let me know if you need any more info from me!!!

Damnit, that's just what it looked like. Guessing you already have but definitely file a report with the police, they may have already found it discarded by now as I don't think many of the jackoffs that steal bikes have the slightest clue how to replace a chain, much less a derailleur hangar. Maybe give a call to any Giant dealers near downtown too as if the guy somehow figures out what part he needs he'll need to be getting it from a Giant dealer. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it, spent my lunch break yesterday walking around downtown hoping to see it with no luck. I think the hangar being jacked probably really helps the odds of it turning up somewhere. Like bleu said, Pioneer Park and the shelters are probably the best bet.

I've got that phone # and your email and will let you know if I manage to repo it from the bastards, I don't have a cell phone so I couldn't call you on the spot so if I spot it I'll just try to get it back myself or get cop involved right away.

Oh, and it was at 300S right in downtown not 1300S by the Stadium so likely the guy is hanging out downtown somewhere.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

'aua e te fati
    Jul 2006

What the?!

My wife's Iron Horse got stolen from my front porch several weeks ago. I filed a report with the police and the lady pretty much laughed. Good thing we have insurance. Her new bike should be here tomorrow, but what is the deal? I have notice a lot more bike thievery going on here in the 'ol Salt Lake recently.

I've been watching on ebay, ksl, and craigslist for my wife's bike, the dude with the stolen yeti http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=434525 , and a few others I seen on craigslist. I've checked pretty religiously too. It seems like the people who are doing this have a decent idea of what is nice and what isn't. Either those scum bags are riding the bikes when no one is looking, parting the bikes out, or taking them to pawn shops because they aren't going online. Jerks.

Jul 2008
    I ride 2nd south from the UTA hub to 7th east every morning at about 7:00. I always see a couple of guys from St. Vincent de Paul shelter with decent to nice bikes. If I spot one that looks like yours I'll give you a call. Any bike with discs is out of place in that area unless the rider has a backpack with a laptop.

The west side of downtown at 7:00 AM is 80% shelter residents as I think they're turned out about then. If you have a weekday off it might be worth an urban loop.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry to hear about your bikes. This town sucks for that.

I have only been here for a year and between myself and 4 of my friends who have visited from out of state(on different occasions) have had nearly $5000 worth of crap ripped off. Bikes, camping gear, and worse of all a purse from underneath a car seat in broad daylight. What's the deal with this town?

We'd all be better off without pawnshops on every block of this town. Then there would be no place to turn a profit off of stolen goods to buy more crack.

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    Well last night was a good night - about 2 miles from my house a friend spotted my bike and tackled the guy that was riding it, then he called me and I came right over, we beat the crap out of the guy, there is justice - the bike was stolen three weeks ago but is now locked up in my bike room with the rest of the my bikes- safe
    jeremy
    owner of Digital bike co

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FBC2008
    Well last night was a good night - about 2 miles from my house a friend spotted my bike and tackled the guy that was riding it, then he called me and I came right over, we beat the crap out of the guy, there is justice - the bike was stolen three weeks ago but is now locked up in my bike room with the rest of the my bikes- safe
    I'm afraid we're going to need more details than this!
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    three weeks ago on the Sunday july 27 I came home late from the shop about 11pm, locked my car in the driveway of my home, went inside and went to bed, got up in the morning left for work about 630 got half way to work and noticed my bike was gone out of the back seat, got to work and called the local police and reported that my bike was stolen out of my car.
    I pretty much thought I was never going to see my bike again - pretty much called all my friends and all my local bike shops to let them know that my bike was stolen, at this point I pretty much gave up all hope in ever catching the thieve, so last night about 7pm I get a call from my best friends wife calls me out of the blue and tells me to get to apartment over off of 2nd st and monroe , she tells me that my friend has just tackled a guy who was riding my bike - short of the story- I race over there and find my best friend confronting the guy asking where he got the bike and if he stole it- he said his friend stole the bike and he could take us to him,we then followed him to the thieves house- turns out that this scum lives 8 houses down from me- we knock on the door and this douche bag comes to the door and tries to deny that he stole the bike, we said to him that you really should come clean- the F#$& has the balls to say that he bought the bike at a bike shop- he then told us a lot more lies- we stop the the crap and my friend just clocks the guy -after that he goes and gets the parts that were stripped off the bike and tries to apologize , His futile attempts fall on deaf ears, we get the parts and leave. I slept really good knowing that in the morning a police officer will giving him a visit .

sorry for the long post
    jeremy
    owner of Digital bike co

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Hell YEAH! Way to go!

wolf mtn ***** whore
    May 2008
    I am not a violent person, but when you steal my stuff all rules are off
    jeremy
    owner of Digital bike co

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Hands of Justice!

I'm glad to hear you got your bike back, and kick the guys ass who stole your bike. The chances of finding your bike after it was stolen were hella slim. I hope you clocked that bastard hard enough to knock some sense in his head . I can't believe he only lived eight houses down from you. Congrats again on finding your bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0