Start at Burro or Hazard this weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Start at Burro or Hazard this weekend

I will be riding the whole enchilada this Saturday (hopefully) and was wondering if starting at Burro would be possible this time of year. I can always start at Hazard if not but then I would miss some great riding.

Thanks for the info!

scars > tattoos
    i did hazard two weeks ago (burro wasn't even open at all), and by the time it met up with kokopelli, it was 105 degrees. be careful with the heat - i couldn't even imagine being on porcupine that day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Highs for this weekend are going to be 97 Fri, 95 Sat and 98 on Sun. Plenty of pre-hydration and water during the ride should make it bearable.

mtbr member
    Rode Hazard down last Friday.

Awesome.

A wee bit toasty on the last bit of Porcy, but not too bad.

95 in Moab that day.

Burro was supposed to be open this weekend. I was told trail crews would be on the trail during the week.

Could be good if it is indeed open. Might be a bit "rough" depending on the shape the trail is in after winter.

Grab the early shuttle and just check it out. That way you can still beat the heat even if Burro is a bust.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Burro might be "open" but don't count on going real fast down the backside, what with all the shade. Snow must take forever to melt off amongst all those trees.

IOW, when you calculate when you might actually make it to Porc proper (i.e. blistering heat) better add another hour or two just to be sure. In fact, if I was you, I'd make this a trial run just to get in Burro and bail down the road when you get down to the overlook. Save riding Porc singletrack for when you can be on it much earlier in the day.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I will report back on conditions after this weekend. We definitely do not want to ride in the mud and ruin the trail for everyone else.

xcguy, very sage advice on cutting off on UPS. If I were rational, that is what I would do. That said, I can't bring myself to miss out on porc. Hopfully my 150oz of water and prehydration plan pan out. If not, you will find my bones on the side of the trail next time you ride it.

More Chasmism
    I'd suggest from Geyser Pass: Moonlight --> Oowah Lake --> Oowah-Warner Connector Climb (Ho Chi Minh) --> Hazard --> On Down. Moonlight starts lower and is therefore ready to go sooner than Burro (which isn't quite ready yet, evidently). Actually gives you a little more DH for your climbing buck.

hfly

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I rode the Whole Enchilada 6-30-10. Still a few bits of snow at Burro but good to go, I only brought 90 oz. of water had just enough. Also did Porcupine 7-2 and 7-4 (rode from town up to the trail) and Slickrock 6-29. Just start your ride at 7am an you are good unless you aren't used to warm temps. Bring a good amount of water.

If anyone here was in Moab from 6-28 thru 7-4 and saw a carbon Mojo SL, that was me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was there 2 weeks ago and there was no snow. The thing about Burro is, it sucks getting up there. It is basically walking your bike up a steep trail to even get to the pass. And with the 10,000+ foot elevation you are winded quick.

And, like someone said, going down the first part is tricky because of all the shale. Once you pass that, you are home free except for some creek crossings.

Also, beware of cow crap! It was everywhere!

Members who have read this thread: 0