stansbury 02/26/09- Mtbr.com
    stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008

stansbury 02/26/09

Rode Stansbury today. It was good to get on the bike again. Just flew solo, but it was fun. It was quite warm and trails were good except all the cow tracks in them. Here are a few pics from today.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the report..Ive been trying to find out how it is out there for a few days..Glad to see its good, although our storm today might have changed things a little bit...Hopefully I can get out there this week

mtbr member
    trails look nice and dry. I might try to get out there on Saturday. Hopefully the light dusting we just got won't affect the trail.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    trails look nice and dry. I might try to get out there on Saturday. Hopefully the light dusting we just got won't affect the trail.
    2/28 Stansbury Update: Think the snow moistened things up a bit. Still pretty wet on the climb up the switchbacks, had to push most of it, only a couple places where you could actually leave a rut though. On the way back down a few hours later it actually seemed to have dried a bit, think the warm temps today will improve things. Some of the north-ish facing stuff and the more protected canyons still are pretty wet as well but rideable. Well worth the trip out there just to get in some pedaling. Think the muck in the drivetrain from the initial climb up may have slowly killed my bottom bracket throughout the ride. Running tubes and no issues with flats despite all those thorny looking plants scattered all over the trail in the wash areas in the canyons.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Nice Steve. You should give me a heads up next time you're heading out. I need to start burning some of this winter layer off.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    Rode Stansbury today. It was good to get on the bike again. Just flew solo, but it was fun. It was quite warm and trails were good except all the cow tracks in them. Here are a few pics from today.
    what's out there for the ride these days? I feel like in the past you couldn't complete the loop due to private land ownership? How long is the ride?

thx

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    what's out there for the ride these days? I feel like in the past you couldn't complete the loop due to private land ownership? How long is the ride?

thx
    Still best just to ride it as an out and back IMO, you can loop it with the roads down below but I never really understood the point of that when you could be riding singletrack (plus less chance of catching an errant bullet up high). Wish they would make it a loop all the way around the top though, the terrain up there past the overlook point looks fun. As an out and back to the overlook I'm guessing it's about 3 hours of ride time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Still best just to ride it as an out and back IMO, you can loop it with the roads down below but I never really understood the point of that when you could be riding singletrack (plus less chance of catching an errant bullet up high). Wish they would make it a loop all the way around the top though, the terrain up there past the overlook point looks fun. As an out and back to the overlook I'm guessing it's about 3 hours of ride time.
    Cool. Always have to justify the time riding vs. time driving ...that's why I asked. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    anyone know if the snow hit antelope? would love to hit it tomorrow am, but it could be muddy now since the last trail cond report??

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by dosboy
    anyone know if the snow hit antelope? would love to hit it tomorrow am, but it could be muddy now since the last trail cond report??
    Coming down from Snowbird yesterday afternoon when it was nice and clear you could definitely see some snow on the islands, no idea how much though. Guessing it may be wet for a while.

Members who have read this thread: 0