St George Trip! Any Good Ideas for Rides?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

St George Trip! Any Good Ideas for Rides?

I am planning a trip to St George in November and I really wanted to hit Bearclaw Poppy and Gooseberry Mesa. I am a pretty technical rider but not too extreme. I am from AZ and have never riden in St George and after looking at forums and youtube these trails seem to be musts. Is that true? I have a GPS unit for my bike and since I am not familiar with the trails I was looking for some courses that could download for it so I don't get lost. Does anyone have any good sequencing for either of these trails or any other trail that should be a must. I am thinking I will only have a couple of days of riding so I wont be able to hit everything. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Singlespeed Enduro Poser
    Dec 2009
    I've been to St. George a couple of times and there are a lot of trails out there to ride. Given the amount of time you will be staying in St. George i would advise you to ride the following:

1. Gooseberry - really difficult to get lost as the trails are pretty well marked with Cairns and trail directions on forks. The trails are also dotted with paint for you to follow. I think you can ride the whole Gooseberry experience in 5 hours(that is with stops, pictures, taking in the views, etc..)

2. Jem Trail - Is a must with plenty of flowy ST.

here is a good website for reference.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

have fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lots of Ride options

How long do you want to ride for? 1 hour 2, 3, 4, 5+?? There is a ton of trail in the area, and none of it is bad. Hard to go wrong with any of the rides in the area. Goose can be very cold in Nov, so I would save it for a Spring/fall trip. I have lots of GPS files of rides in the area and can send you some of rides the length you are looking for.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The JEM Trail is an absolute blast. Bear claw poppy is short and fun, lots of fast rolling hills with options for difficulty. Barrel Roll also a nice six mile loop that similar to JEM Trail.

I'd rather be biking...
    For in town rides. Zen trail is a good 1 1/2-2 hr ride and is a challenging technical trail with a super awesome descent to back to the valley floor. not a beginner ride but intermediate to experts will love it.
    Paradise canyon/turtle wall with the scout lookout addition will run you just over an hour and is also a great in town short loop with some good technical areas and also has a rewarding descent back to the car. Awesome views off towards Ivins too. A group of us locals rides it weekly after work.
    Barrel roll and the rim rock loops are great XC trails with some light technical climb/descents that are more mellow then zen but will challenge a beginner too.

Goose can be chilly but should be fine if rode mid day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think I am looking for like 15 mile trails or something around 4 hours. I plan on haveing 2-3 rides like that. With that said what would be the 3 musts, and does anyone have GPS files of them?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There are a lot of trails in st george but not a lot of 4 hour rides. But you could deffinately put a few together to get the length you want or ride them a couple times or backwards.

1) Deffinately hit Goose. Even in November it should be fine as long you don't get some freak storm a few days before and ride in the middle of the day. It would be a shame to come to St George and not hit the Goose. The north rim, south rim, and hidden canyon would be a good 3-4 hours. Goose is very technical with lots of obstacles and very little verticle.
    2) Hook a bunch of the Santa Clara Preserve trails together. Barrell Roll, Rim Rock, Rim Runner, and sidewinder. That would be a good 3 hour run. Good mix of flow, rocky technical, and aerobic.
    3) Then head out to Green Valley and do Barrells trail and Zen trail. Probably 3 hours. Zen is a blast but is probably the most technical trail in SG with a good amount of climbing.

Look at utahmountainbiking.com it is an excellent site for all the trails in utah and is very current. It has GPS tracks for all the trails as well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Weather has a lot to do with it as well. If we have a nice dry fall like last year you;re golden. If its wet then in teh Hurricane area JEM and Goulds are out and getting to Gooseberry can be difficult and ditto with Guacamole.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

parenting for gnarness
    a little piggybacking on this thread if you dont mind...
    I'm going to be in town next month for the marathon, supporting my wife and watching the kids. I'll have a couple hrs the next day to play on my own, looking for something close to town so I wont be gone from the family all that long. I'm an advanced rider from Phx and ride techy stuff on South Mtn as well as big single track climbs in the McDowells.

Zen looks awesome, in town and easy to get to - i'll have the 6 inch bike and my pads. Anything else recommended close to town, maybe another 1-2 hr ride - flowy or techy as long as its fun?
    thanks very much!
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    a little piggybacking on this thread if you dont mind...
    I'm going to be in town next month for the marathon, supporting my wife and watching the kids. I'll have a couple hrs the next day to play on my own, looking for something close to town so I wont be gone from the family all that long. I'm an advanced rider from Phx and ride techy stuff on South Mtn as well as big single track climbs in the McDowells.

Zen looks awesome, in town and easy to get to - i'll have the 6 inch bike and my pads. Anything else recommended close to town, maybe another 1-2 hr ride - flowy or techy as long as its fun?
    thanks very much!
    Yes definitely Ride the Zen trail and or add the barrels trail just off the same trailhead. Also you can ride Paradise canyon. Park at the clubhouse and ride up turtle wall, hang a right at the first lookout and head up towards scout point then turnaround and start the descent except ride down Paradise canyon/Gila back towards the clubhouse (counter clockwise) that will be just over an hour. Good/ flowy and technical similar to porcupine rim in moab

Members who have read this thread: 0