St. George trails that won't cause divorce- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. George trails that won't cause divorce

Heading down South this week to ride the regulars, Barrel, Zen maybe give Grafton a try, gonna have the wife who is new to the sport and some Texas flatlanders with us and would like to take them riding also. Question is, nearby trails that are beginner fun but a step above jogging stroller level? Best would be something with a mellow A line, scenery style but with some entertaining B lines for others. Local advice, as always...priceless.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Check out the trails in the Santa Clara River Reserve. There are quite a few miles of new trails that are fast and flowey with some obstacle thrown in.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I'd rather be biking...
    Head out to the Santa Clara preserve and ride barrel roll/sidewinder and the rim rock's loops. Very Scenic. Also Bear paw poppy has some A line B line stuff and same with paradise (turtle wall is less tech then paradise and is a better loop option for the up part). Have Fun

mtbr member
    Bear Paw, Zen, Barrel, and the race corse are all in the same place.

Bear Paw is probably the funnest beginner trail ever. Arrange a shuttle at the bloomington (south) trailhead if you can.

Zen and Barrel aren't for beginers.

The hard parts (both technical and cardio) of the Race Corse can be avoided so beginers could have a good time over there too.

All of the bike shops have pretty helpful friendly guys working there so don't be afraid to stop in and ask them about trails.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Agree with Bearclaw poppy. I'd start at the Bloomington side and ride up the alternate loop (just stay left along the fence line after you enter the trail) then return on Bearclaw Poppy proper. I took my 11year-old on this and he loved it. If they're still feeling spunky when you get to Clavicle hill, stay left and continue on up Stucki Springs to the top and back before going down the Bearclaw Poppy roller coaster.

In Hurricane, I would also recommend JEM. One steep little drop down into a wash that the beginners and intermediates will want to walk but the rest is just soooo much fun flowy desert singletrack they will love you forever.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-12-2010 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey all,

Not trying to jack the OP's post but I have a similar question for intermediate trails.

We are staying overnight in Vegas on my way to and from Moab and looking for some intermediate 2-3 hour rides in the St. George area.

I checked out http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-st-g.htm for ride ideas.

What would your ride if you had 2-3 hours in St. George going to and from Vegas to Moab?

I'd rather be biking...
    Hit up Zen trail and or add stucki/bearpaw poppy to the mix, almost same trailhead

mtbr member

Thanks all

Got back yesterday, despite some weather got a fair bit riding in. Xen, Barrel Roll and Barrel Trail, were great, BC Poppy was a hit with the novices as was Turtle to Paradise Rim (had never ridden this one and the Paradise descent is short but pretty fun for all ability levels even if a few sections are walked by novices). Thanks all for the leads. I think the trip probably even got a couple of novices to buy high-end bikes this Summer.

Members who have read this thread: 0