St George trails...- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

St George trails...

Heading up this week to work the Ironman race and gonna get some riding in.

Rode Zen last year. It was a fun trail and right up my alley but nearly impossible to follow due to next to the non-existent trail markings. I think I spent more time looking at Trailforks and backtracking than I did riding the actual trail.

This year I was thinking about some combo of these which were just pulled outta my ass based on being black diamond trails:

Kentucky Lucky Chicken
    Looks like the road the parking lot is on goes to the top. You guys shuttle this?

Barrel Roll

Black Brush

Doubtful but might even ride Barrel Roll and Black Brush as a loop. I'm coming off a knee injury so my conditioning is crap so that will depend on how tough these trails are.

So, of these trails, is there a direction that's more fun? Are any of them super cool or super suck?

And, I'm always open to other options.

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I thought that Black Brush was a hikers and horse only trail?

We rode Barrel Roll and Sidewinder, a nice half-day ride. Could add on a number of other diversions as well, some black diamond and some easier short loops to the SE from the Cove Ridge parking.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    No idea... I assumed since it's on Trailforks, which is Pink Bike, that bikes are OK?

mtbr member
    Bikes aren't encouraged on black brush, but I don't think they're "banned". OTOH, plenty of other trail right from the parking lot to hit...sidewinder, Suicidal tendencies....cross the wash and do the Rim trails. Probably the most fun out there and the least trafficked.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    Bikes aren't encouraged on black brush, but I don't think they're "banned". OTOH, plenty of other trail right from the parking lot to hit...sidewinder, Suicidal tendencies....cross the wash and do the Rim trails. Probably the most fun out there and the least trafficked.
    ^^ This ^^ Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies = Great ride!! It's definitely easier than at least the bottom section of Zen (which is my favorite trail in St G) but there's a few lil' looser, sketchier switchbacks as you work you way down. Iff you don't want to do that much work, just do the entire Barrel Roll loop.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post

We rode Barrel Roll and Sidewinder, a nice half-day ride. Could add on a number of other diversions as well, some black diamond and some easier short loops to the SE from the Cove Ridge parking.
    You are correct. No bikes on Black Brush. See attached map.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/59093387...R_brochure.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    No idea... I assumed since it's on Trailforks, which is Pink Bike, that bikes are OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sidewinder, Barrel Roll area is nice, light traffic and EASY to follow trails.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies = Great ride!! It's definitely easier than at least the bottom section of Zen but there's a few lil' looser, sketchier switchbacks as you work you way down. Iff you don't want to do that much work, just do the entire Barrel Roll loop.
    Barrel Roll is nearly 6 miles and the combo of Barrel Roll/Precipice, Sidewinder, Suicidal is closer to 8. The extra two miles would be fine but the extra 900' of climbing on Suicidal may not be so fine with my gimp knee. Good thing I have plenty of time

Quote Originally Posted by mtlbrace View Post
    Sidewinder, Barrel Roll area is nice, light traffic and EASY to follow trails.
    I hope you're not being facetious! Zen was a nightmare. I would probably not ride that again unless I knew there were some trail markers added!

No one rides Kentucky Lucky Chicken?

mtbr member
    I'll take you around Zen, Mike. It's a great trail and it's not hard to follow (for me.... but I've been around it many times). And CCW is the best direction for Zen and Barrels (not to be confused with Barrel Roll).

I like Sidewinder/Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies out at the Santa Clara preserve area. Haven't done Barrel Roll but I liked the Rim Rock trails as a nice add on.

Kentucky Lucky Chicken is new. I've done it both directions (it's only 4 miles), I think I liked it a bit better CW but it rides really well in both. Fun, mild-moderate techy trail. It's a worth a look if you've still got legs after the Santa Clara stuff and Zen/Barrels.

You'll be there this weekend?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I'll take you around Zen, Mike. It's a great trail and it's not hard to follow (for me.... but I've been around it many times). And CCW is the best direction for Zen and Barrels (not to be confused with Barrel Roll).

I like Sidewinder/Precipice/Suicidal Tendencies out at the Santa Clara preserve area. Haven't done Barrel Roll but I liked the Rim Rock trails as a nice add on.

Kentucky Lucky Chicken is new. I've done it both directions (it's only 4 miles), I think I liked it a bit better CW but it rides really well in both. Fun, mild-moderate techy trail. It's a worth a look if you've still got legs after the Santa Clara stuff and Zen/Barrels.

You'll be there this weekend?
    Yeah, I leave Phoenix Thu morning. Expect to be in StG by 3ish. Been forever since we rode National! Hope things are well in your world.

Got some things to handle for the race but, best case scenario, I ride something Thu eve and then Fri morn. Probably an easier ride Thu eve and the tougher ride Fri morn. The 8:30p sunset helps...

The race is Saturday and I leave for Phoenix right after the race around 5p so Thu eve and Fri morn are my only options...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    Yeah, I leave Phoenix Thu morning. Expect to be in StG by 3ish. Been forever since we rode National! Hope things are well in your world.

Got some things to handle for the race but, best case scenario, I ride something Thu eve and then Fri morn. Probably an easier ride Thu eve and the tougher ride Fri morn. The 8:30p sunset helps...

The race is Saturday and I leave for Phoenix right after the race around 5p so Thu eve and Fri morn are my only options...
    Ah, Looks like I'd miss you. I could get down there for a Friday afternoon/evening ride and then a Saturday ride.

When I first rode Zen, some 9-10 years ago it was pretty easy to follow. It's gotten a bit harder with all the off shoots and alternate lines that have developed over the years. But generally everything gets you around the loop. Look for the cairns.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ah, Looks like I'd miss you. I could get down there for a Friday afternoon/evening ride and then a Saturday ride.
    That sucks but just as well. After two months off the bike due to the partial MCL tear I'm slower than normal...

No Clue Crew
    Total bust...

Started out on Barrel Roll just fine. Took a few photos. Got past the first downhill with the cattle guard gate and started the second climb up a few techie rock steps. On the second or third one my cranks just spin... give way. WtF? I stop, get off the bike, look at the rear, grab the front brake and push down on the pedal. It just spins. Blown.

Lovely...

I get on and decide to coast back to the bottom of this, hike up and then coast back out to the TH.

At the second set of rock steps I hear something in my spokes. I stop, look back, it's my derailleur. Hanger snapped in two. Didn't even touch anything... new that is.

Finished the walk back out. Was sitting in the truck looking at the photos and lent my pump to a guy on an Enduro so he could get his rear tire up to pressure.

The PLUS side being that I didn't get 3 miles into the trail before my bike sh|t on me...

Was not meant to be...

St George trails...-2017-05-05-07.14.13.jpg

St George trails...-2017-05-05-07.24.39.jpg

St George trails...-2017-05-05-07.43.05.jpg