st george tomorrow- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

st george tomorrow

Camped out by hurricane tonight. Trails are super wet. Is anything dry? Was thinking of driving up to gooseberry early while the road is frozen. Ride camp come back down when road is frozen. How is zen area? Maybe I'll have to be a roadie. I Don't want to be a roadie. Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    All the Santa Clara stuff is good to go. Barrel Roll/Rim Runner/Suicidal etc.

I'm sure Prospector to Church Rocks is fine as well.

That Goose road can get treacherous, if it's even a little wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    10-4. How do I get to that area? Is there open land camping? I live in gj so just doing a slum dog desert trip. Don't know much about that area. What I do know is the trails i rode last trip are great. The weather is great. And the scenery is amazing. Thanks again for the help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayno323 View Post
    Camped out by hurricane tonight. Trails are super wet. Is anything dry?
    What did you ride today? Or what was wet?

We rode Barrel Roll-Sidewinder-Suicidal Tendencies today and the trails were absolutely perfect. Super fun network of trails that reminds me a little bit of Horsethieft/Steve's/Troy Built in Fruita.

mtbr member
    There are trailhead/parking lots over at Prospector and the lead in to Church Rocks. They are on the left side of the 15 freeway as you head north. I'm sure it's not legal to camp there but I'd be shocked if there is any enforcement. Same goes for the trailheads at Barrel Roll in Santa Clara, the Zen Trail over in Dixie or the Boy Scout trails over by Quail Creek reservoir...all rideable when everything else is wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't know what it's called. It's desert trails on a mesa right out of hurricane, on the main gooseberry road. Way too wet. Called this a beer drinking day. Barley got my truck to the camp spot. The trails in Santa Clara sound awesome. I'll head that way in am. If you see a lost fat guy that would be me. I have cold beer. Just have to figure out how to get there. I'm sure google and gas stations can get me there. If anyone wants to rip tomorrow I do ok for a fat guy in mid winter. We came up to get down

mtbr member
    Here is a pretty good map of the SC trails.

You want to ride Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies and the Rim Runner/ Reaper trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Sweet thanks

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The dirt road to the Cottonwood Trailhead for Prospector and Church Rocks is rather awkward to find. It is in an industrial area and you access it from the east side of I-15. You find it by looking for the little underpass under I-15 as you drive along Old Hwy 91 and then entering through the driveway of one of the warehouses on either side.

Old Hwy 91 starts at the first signal off I-15 by the Chevron station. There is a toilet at the trailhead and probably not a problem to sleep in your vehicle there.

Finding the trailhead for Barrel Roll is fun. :-)

Plenty of bike shops in the area can help you. My favs are Over The Edge in Hurricane and Red Rock on Bluff Drive in St George.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Formerly of Kent
    Zen was in great shape 4 days ago, and I don't believe it's received any rain or snow since. Poorly marked, though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah stick to st.george trails right now

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Zen trail marking is horrible. St. George crew could learn something from Moab and Park City trail marking. I have ridden Zen 3x and I still haven't completed the loop, always miss a turn. A 6" cairn is not adequate. Locals don't care because they know where they are going, but it means out of towners are SOL.

FWIW, conditions were stellar on 2/11/16.

Did Gooseberry on 2/12/16, also fantastic. A little bit of mud/snow/ice on Hidden Canyon, everything else was dry and wonderful.
    Last edited by UtahJohn; 02-13-2016 at 09:01 PM.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    Zen trail marking is horrible. St. George crew could learn something from Moab and Park City trail marking. I have ridden Zen 3x and I still haven't completed the loop, always miss a turn. A 6" cairn is not adequate. Locals don't care because they know where they are going, but it means out of towners are SOL.

Did Gooseberry on 2/14/16, also fantastic. A little bit of mud/snow/ice on Hidden Canyon, everything else was dry and wonderful.
    I had the exact same reaction. I did three loops when I rode it, never the same "trail".

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Zen is easy to follow compared to Little Creek Mesa! Or the back of the lollipop on Guacamole. We get spoiled around Moab and Fruita / Grand Junction.

The locals will advise we ride with them to not get lost. I suspect that they just want people to chat with.

:-)

Actually they are very hospitable but a few more obvious cairns would be good.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Zen is easy to follow compared to Little Creek Mesa! Or the back of the lollipop on Guacamole. We get spoiled around Moab and Fruita / Grand Junction.

The locals will advise we ride with them to not get lost. I suspect that they just want people to chat with.

Or we don't want you on our favorite trail.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post

Half the fun of Little Creek is finding your way through it. I always vote for less cairns.

If you can't follow Zen you need to clean your glasses.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post

Did Gooseberry on 2/14/16, also fantastic. A little bit of mud/snow/ice on Hidden Canyon, everything else was dry and wonderful.
    I'm an out of towner and we missed the last left turn (about 100 yards up from the bottom of the last downhill when riding counter clockwise) our first time but never since. That turn is the only part that was iffy to us. Everything else seems pretty simple to follow.

I assume you're predicting the future regarding Gooseberry because we haven't even reached 2/14/16 yet...either that of you travelled forward in time and cam back to post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    2/12/16