St. George/SW Utah in March? (out of towner)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. George/SW Utah in March? (out of towner)

Work is sending me to a Mon - Thurs seminar in Vegas in the 3rd week of March & I'm thinking of heading up to St. George area for a couple days riding following the seminar.

Couple questions: how bad are trail conditions towards end of March? I know this is a crap shoot based on precipitation but usually good? Bad? Don't want to show up and get skunked because conditions would result in damaged trails. If there's a high probability of lousy conditions I'd probably head elsewhere (AZ, SoCal, etc.)

Provided the ground is ridable, what can I expect for temps? I'm a north east guy so not afraid of cold but want to plan a little.

Finally, single speed or geared HT? Leaning SS.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

rider
    Jan 2005
    I was there for 3 weeks in late March/ early April in '09. I saw hot windy days,hot still days, cold windstorm days, strange light popcorn snow/hail blizzards along with several just plain perfect days. The soil never got wet enough to be a problem. But if it does, even pushing a bike can be a real pain.

I would also get on the Nevada forum as I recall that there a couple of places to ride in the Vegas area that are ok to ride wet.

SS vs. geared? If you can handle repeated back to back hard manual tech moves on your SS you will love it. Otherwise, the geared bike would be the call for your first time there.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Temps mid-60....day lows 40's at night.

There are plenty of trails and all lend themselves to certain conditions... wet, dry, cool, hot.

When its hot go higher like Gooseberry or Little Creek or Guacamole at 5000+ feet. Colder... drop down to st George/Santa Clara.... etc..etc...

Come... ride...enjoy
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    3 of us coming down from Vancouver around that time too, thanks for the info!

ybbeaten
    Heading out to St. George on March 21 for a week to visit the in-laws. I appreciate the info. Bringing the 1x9 29er moots with me! Can't wait.

Thanks!
    Ride to work and work to ride

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2
    3 of us coming down from Vancouver around that time too, thanks for the info!
    and 4 more coming from Vancouver at that time too
    OOPS, shouldn't mention that, they might get paranoid of an invasion

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Temps mid-60....day lows 40's at night.

There are plenty of trails and all lend themselves to certain conditions... wet, dry, cool, hot.

When its hot go higher like Gooseberry or Little Creek or Guacamole at 5000+ feet. Colder... drop down to st George/Santa Clara.... etc..etc...

Come... ride...enjoy
    I like you outlook its like if you ever call someone at the beach they say yeah its sunny here I'll contact you mid-summer and book for the end of September.

Big B's Trails
    St George Rocks... Buuuut your in Vegas! We have great trails here... You could ride Bootleg Canyon, Cowboy trails, Cottonwood/BD, Union Hills & Coyote Springs and never have to drive farther than an hour... St George Rocks though so I understand... Might have to go in a week or two... That icehouse trail looks kinda interesting hmmmmm...
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    St George Rocks... Buuuut your in Vegas! We have great trails here... You could ride Bootleg Canyon, Cowboy trails, Cottonwood/BD, Union Hills & Coyote Springs and never have to drive farther than an hour... St George Rocks though so I understand... Might have to go in a week or two... That icehouse trail looks kinda interesting hmmmmm...

Coyote Springs is on private property behind locked gates, fenced and marked "No Trespassing" is it not???
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Coyote Springs is on private property behind locked gates, fenced and marked "No Trespassing" is it not???
    Technically, YES it is on private property behind a locked gate with a no trespassing sign posted....
    I apologize for that... I have access and forget that others don't
    I haven't heard of anyone getting "busted" out there buuuuut you never know... The owner of the land is a cool cat but I'm sure if things aren't respected out there ... Access could/would be a issue...
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    My tentative plan is to ride around Vegas while I'm there for work in the mornings and/or evenings. My first time there so perhaps not fair to jump to this conclusion, but Vegas isn't really my scene. I don't mind cities but over the top flashiness etc. isn't for me so I'd rather get out of there after a few days anyway. I do understand that there is more to Vegas than just the Strip.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    in fact for trail type bikes I am tired of QR roady shite in general. Lets move on.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    The owner of the land is a cool cat but I'm sure if things aren't respected out there ... Access could/would be a issue...
    Perfect answer. And they do enforce the no tresspass pretty agressively when they catch folks.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14
    My tentative plan is to ride around Vegas while I'm there for work in the mornings and/or evenings. My first time there so perhaps not fair to jump to this conclusion, but Vegas isn't really my scene. I don't mind cities but over the top flashiness etc. isn't for me so I'd rather get out of there after a few days anyway. I do understand that there is more to Vegas than just the Strip.
    The areas around Vegas offer some beautiful sights... Valley of Fire, Red Rocks..Lake Mead, ..etc..
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0