St George riding and the dog?- Mtbr.com
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

St George riding and the dog?

I have been to St George twice without the dog. Enjoyed it a lot. Anyway, we are coming down in mid April for a ride: wife and me. We are bringing our Golden Retriever. I'm thinking between the cliffs, cacti, heat, and potential snakes that leaving the dog home is the best choice. What has been your experience been with your dog?

Bored Carp
    Doggy Dude Ranch in Springdale is a good place for your dog, if you decide to ride the trails out that direction. Our dog loves it there, she plays in the river.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Good tip

Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    Doggy Dude Ranch in Springdale is a good place for your dog, if you decide to ride the trails out that direction. Our dog loves it there, she plays in the river.
    I will check it out. My dang dog is way too important to us. It is a bit weird...I know. A bit emasculating

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    We took our dog (a 2-year old yellow lab) on Guacamole and he absolutely loved it. The slickrock area was an acrobatic playground for the guy as he made it a point to jump up and over anything and everything he could.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Forget about the potential dangers for the dog and let him figure it out. I take my dogs out in the desert for work and riding all the time and the worst I've seen are a few thorns and one got sprayed by a skunk. If the dog goes biking with you regularly, then bring him along. If you ride slickrock trails, dog pads get chewed up pretty quickly. Unless he's conditioned to it, I'd recommend buying some shoes or pads or whatever you call them for the paws. Otherwise, you might take him out the first ride then have a limping/bloody dog the rest of the way. The heat that time of year shouldn't be too much of a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Bring the dog. The tech trails are slow riding making it easy for dogs. I always bring mine and they love Gooseberry, Little Creek.
    JEM is faster paced so that one would be tougher. I wouldn't run them at St. George as it's lower and hotter, except in winter.
    As my dogs run on tough desert trails slickrock is easy on their paws compaired jagged rock we have here. Just watch the temps, dogs do best below 65 degrees and I don't push them hard above 80. Slickrock Swamp has some water on it. Grafton Mesa ends near the Virgin River, awesome descent.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    May 2009
    JEM is a very good dog trail as there is not much rock so it's easy on the pads. Guacomole is nice as well but more slickrock. Sidewinder, Barrel Roll and the Rim-a-rama-ding-dong trails are mostly dirt too. I personally would not take a dog on Gooseberry or Little Creek unless they were regulars on those trails.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    JEM is a very good dog trail as there is not much rock so it's easy on the pads. Guacomole is nice as well but more slickrock. Sidewinder, Barrel Roll and the Rim-a-rama-ding-dong trails are mostly dirt too. I personally would not take a dog on Gooseberry or Little Creek unless they were regulars on those trails.
    I prefer the slick rock trails for my dogs. I ride at a much slower pace on slick rock. I also like that the trails are wider, so the dogs have more room to maneuver. When there is a narrow technical line, I make sure the dogs are out of the way. St George is desert, so there is little water for dogs, however the Mesa's have lots of rock pools that collect water.

I still haven't ridden JEM with a dog. The trail is too fast and fun to ride slow. I would also be worried about the coarse rocks along the Hurricane Rim. And there are only 2 trees on the entire trail, so there is zero shade.

When the temps are warm enough that the rock is too hot for my dog's feet, it's time for Navajo Lake.

Members who have read this thread: 0