St. George Rides- Mtbr.com
    Leash Law Enforcer

St. George Rides

Will be in St. George for all of Thanksgiving week. I want to take the bike(s) and do some rides. Sounds like Gooseberry is a must. Aside from that what other rides would all you southern Utahans suggest? I will probably be able to get in at least three rides during the week. Any good road rides that would warrant bringing the road bike? Thanks!

Team Sanchez
    You will have to define what type of rider you are. If you are into XC riding, checkout the Barrel Trail to Bear Claw Poppy Trail. Also don't miss LIttle Creek Mesa. As for road rides, call Kong at Desert Cyclery, and he'll point you in the right direction. If you are more into aggro technical trail riding, PM me, and I'll tell you about some great trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    Will be in St. George for all of Thanksgiving week. I want to take the bike(s) and do some rides. Sounds like Gooseberry is a must. Aside from that what other rides would all you southern Utahans suggest? I will probably be able to get in at least three rides during the week. Any good road rides that would warrant bringing the road bike? Thanks!
    For road rides, Zion National Park is a must, if you need miles start at Virgin.

Goosberry for sure and Little Creek (you need a good map or guide for Little Creek).

Good luck

Leash Law Enforcer

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I would classify myself as an XC rider who really enjoys technical challenges. However, I don't think I would describe myself as an "aggro technical" rider (whatever that means, I am assuming that kind of riding incorporates a lot of bigger drops with life threatening possbilities. If my assumption is wrong, let me know, I may be interested).

Little Creek sounds like a must do. I have read about it on the Internet. Most of the reviews comment that it is fairly new, hard to find and not a very well marked trail. Are these reviews out of date or is that an accurate reflection of the current state of Little Creek? How is the JEM trail?

Team Sanchez
    Yeah, Little Creek can be a bit confusing without a local to help you out. PM me or Shutavi as the date approaches. One or both of us may be around to show you the way that week. As for the JEM, it is a pretty ride, with some fun singletrack, so add it to your list. Also check out Church Rocks.

mtbr member

I was there last week

and spent the whole week riding at least a couple of hours every day.I did enjoy Bear Poppy as it was right out my front door, but what I really enjoyed was JEM/Hurricane Rim Trail.I ended up doing JEM twice,but it was worth it.No real killer climbs just a lot of short up and downs with a little technical difficulty thrown in.Basically my kind of ride.Stuci Springs off the Bear Popy trail was fun too. I liked Gooseberry too,but I've done it so many times now that it just doesn't thrill me much anymore. I did see a lot of road riders out in the boonies,but I couldn't tell you the route/s. I thought they could have found a better route as they were riding right along Hwy 9 with cars and trucks going by at 75 mph+.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member

rides

Goosberry and Little Creek are tops but something closer to St. George is Broken Mesa; best done as a shuttle but can be looped easily. Red Rock Cyclery showed my freinds and I Broken Mesa and they'ed probably be happy to show you too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Similar question - hubby and I are trying to decide if we should make a trip to Utah over Veterans Day weekend (Nov. 10-14). We might ride in St. George, Brian Head, Panguitch (he's got a cabin outside of Panguitch, but we might stay in St. George for a night or two). I'm from So Cal, so anything below 75 is freezing What's the weather like at this time of year?

It seems from the research that it's between 50-65 during the day. Just wanted any opinions or info on riding conditions. Is it ever snowy in BH in November?

Thanks in advance.

The Sentinel

Brian Head in the middle of November?

I hope we're skiing by then! Most ski resorts in Utah try to open for the Thanksgiving vacation. Brian Head is even higher than a lot of them, so it's almost a guarantee there'll be snow there by the middle of November. If not, there's gonna be some sad resort owners!

Panguitch is almost as bad...or good, depending on your point of view. It'll definitely be cold there by mid-November. Definitely below 75 degrees!

St. George is your best bet. I'll probably be down there over Thanksgiving, dodging the snowbirds.

Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Similar question - hubby and I are trying to decide if we should make a trip to Utah over Veterans Day weekend (Nov. 10-14). We might ride in St. George, Brian Head, Panguitch (he's got a cabin outside of Panguitch, but we might stay in St. George for a night or two). I'm from So Cal, so anything below 75 is freezing What's the weather like at this time of year?

It seems from the research that it's between 50-65 during the day. Just wanted any opinions or info on riding conditions. Is it ever snowy in BH in November?

Thanks in advance.
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well, we're doing Vegas/St. George over Thurs-Sun during Halloween weekend.

Unfortunately, not sure we're going to be able to drive all the way to Gooseberry as we'll only do one day in St. George, and it appears to be almost an hour away. I'm a novice-intermediate xc rider, hubby is definitely intermediate. Is Green Valley our best bet? Any other trails? Would love to get in some miles in the area. Hopefully the weather will be decent

Any recommendations would be great. I've been checking out trail reviews, but it is somewhat difficult for me, not being familiar with the area, to determine how far away from St. George stuff is, and what trails are decent enough to be the trails we ride for one day.

mtbr member

How about conditions right now?

I was thinking of driving from Flagstaff and doing a Gooseberry, Virgin Rim, Red Canyon trip in the next day or so but I was looking at the surface observations from yesterday for sw Utah and it looks like all 3 locations got an inch or more of rain and snow above 9000'.

How's that road to Gooseberry when its wet? And better yet, how long for the trails to dry. I recall the trails around Brian Head, Virgin Rim, and Bryce C. being especially sticky and even impassible when wet. A day or two ok or does it take longer to dry out this time of year. It looks like we've got a week or so before the next significant storm. Thanks for any beta you locals might have.

mtbr member

S UT Rides

Quote Originally Posted by rockman
    I was thinking of driving from Flagstaff and doing a Gooseberry, Virgin Rim, Red Canyon trip in the next day or so but I was looking at the surface observations from yesterday for sw Utah and it looks like all 3 locations got an inch or more of rain and snow above 9000'.

How's that road to Gooseberry when its wet? And better yet, how long for the trails to dry. I recall the trails around Brian Head, Virgin Rim, and Bryce C. being especially sticky and even impassible when wet. A day or two ok or does it take longer to dry out this time of year. It looks like we've got a week or so before the next significant storm. Thanks for any beta you locals might have.
    Thursday AM - The weather has been nice for the last two days and it looks like we are going to have a nice weekend. The road to Gooseberry can get real muddy and it is a sticky mud so you need to be careful. I have only been caught in it once and that was enough. I think it will be fine this weekend, unless we get another big rain. JEM is another one that is not good when it is muddy. It is a real sticky mud. When it rains we often hit Church Rocks or Little Creek. Little Creek has a nice cinder covered road that is fine when it is wet. The slickrock is great when it is rainy, in fact it adds to the ride. The dogs love to have places to get drinks in all the little pools. One thing about Southern Utah, it doesn't stay muddy long.

We are riding Saturday AM at 7:00, meeting at Chums in Hurricane. There has been talk of doing Grafton Mesa or Guacamole. I guess we will make up our mind that morning.

Now Virgin Rim may be a different story. It is very high in elevation and may have received snow. I'm not sure about it. Maybe you could call Brian Head. Same with Red Mountain. But I would guess Red Mountain would be okay.

Good Luck, and if you need anything drop by our shop.

mtbr member

thanks for the beta!

Great info. Yeah, we'll have to check out your shop. I think I met your wife and a gaggle of young bikers last Aug on Gooseberry. I haven't ridden Little Creek but I know how to get there. Never heard of Guacamole but with a name like that it must be good. We'll probably head up to Red Canyon after Gooseberry just for the wow factor. Looping Casto-Cassidy-Thunder Mtn makes for an epic day.