St. George rideable trails with rain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. George rideable trails with rain

We will be heading to St. George for a biking trip next weekend. Pulling in on Thursday, March 1st and leaving Sunday.

The forecast looks like rain Friday night and Saturday morning.

On our to-do list:
    Zen
    Rim trails
    Precipice, sidewinder, barrel roll, suicidal tendencies
    JEM
    Gooseberry Mesa Big Loop
    Hurricane Rim Loop
    Church Rocks on the way out of town on Sunday

Any suggestions on which trails are better if there is a bit of precipitation?
    It seems Zen and Santa Clara trails were pretty rocky and would likely ride well if rain, no?

Thanks in advance
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I was in St George last week, rode pretty much everything on your list except Precipice/Suicidal. It did not rain AT ALL while we were there (4 days) but had somewhat in the week before (see the "It rained..." discussion).

I have limited experience but I can tell you that you really do not want to be on these trails while even close to wet. Trails like Bearclaw and JEM were not really dry enough even after several days without rain. The dirt is different there and the desert does NOT suck up the moisture like in Idaho (which I assume is where you are). The mud is slick and sticky and makes riding miserable, even if you are not destroying the trail. Of course the rocks are fine but all the trails will have at least some dirt.

If it is actually raining I honestly would go someplace else. Vegas?

trail gnome
    General advice is that Church rocks rides well in the wet.

Gooseberry, Guacamole, & Zen are mostly rock and may be ok. If the access road to Guacamole is wet, you may have trouble getting to the TH though.

Stay away from Bearclaw Poppy and JEM when wet. You'll damage the trails and the mud will stick to you like glue.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Church Rocks and Boy Scout Trails are the "go-to" when it's wet.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    What are the current conditions? We will be heading down there next week and long range weather forecast looks pretty good.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    What are the current conditions? We will be heading down there next week and long range weather forecast looks pretty good.

Right now it's perfect. Rain is in the forecast for today but it doesn't look rainy right now. I agree that the 1 week out forecast looks great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Right now it's perfect. Rain is in the forecast for today but it doesn't look rainy right now. I agree that the 1 week out forecast looks great.

Thanks. Any current trail closures for mud?

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by zon View Post
    Thanks. Any current trail closures for mud?

No

mtbr member
    Hero dirt for everything that we have ridden the past couple of days: Church Rocks/Prospector, Gooseberry Mesa, Hurricane Rim, JEM.

No mud at all.
    BoiseBoy

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    Quote Originally Posted by BoiseBoy View Post
    Hero dirt for everything that we have ridden the past couple of days: Church Rocks/Prospector, Gooseberry Mesa, Hurricane Rim, JEM.

No mud at all.
    Outstanding. Packing up the trailer today, leaving Middleton on Thursday . How long did it take you to drive down there? I'm guessing ~12 hours.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member
    About nine hours
    BoiseBoy

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I am heading to St George this weekend.

I am planning on riding all day Friday and Sat, Sun, Monday mornings.

I have been watching the forecast (it looks like rain today and tomorrow) and have read as much as I could about what trails to ride when it's wet. Now I'm hoping for some local intel.

I am prepared to ride Church Rocks/Boy Scout/Kentucky as much as needed, but I am hoping some other areas will be dry enough to ride. I'm assuming the messas will still be snowy and the JEM trails will be muddy.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    I am heading to St George this weekend.

I am planning on riding all day Friday and Sat, Sun, Monday mornings.

I have been watching the forecast (it looks like rain today and tomorrow) and have read as much as I could about what trails to ride when it's wet. Now I'm hoping for some local intel.

I am prepared to ride Church Rocks/Boy Scout/Kentucky as much as needed, but I am hoping some other areas will be dry enough to ride. I'm assuming the messas will still be snowy and the JEM trails will be muddy.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Call Over The Edge in Hurricane, those dudes seemed to have their thumb on the pulse so to speak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks! I'll reach out to them on Thursday when I get into town. I've been looking at their facebook page as well.

It looks like Zen and Barrel roll might be ok too which would be great.

Your Best Friend
    The Mesas and JEM/Hurricane rim will definitely be out. Bummer timing. Huge storm rolling through in phases this week and through the weekend. Plan to be wet and cold.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    thanks for the reply! Too bad the date has been picked for a while. I'll be ok as long as I can ride, I'd be happy enough riding the bike paths and streets!
    I visited in August and was able to ride Jem and half of hurricane rim.

Wet is not ideal, but manageable, cold is relative. I've been riding on snow at 5 - 25 degrees since November so I'm hoping to be ok.

I'm hoping to ride barrell roll/suicidal tendencies friday morning and zen friday afternoon (provided I haven't overestimated my abilities).
    I'll check with over the edge on thursday to make sure that makes sense.

Luckily it's just me and I have a vehicle so I can be as flexible as needed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    @ironhippy
    Well, how did it go?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It went great!

I did:
    Barrel Roll -> Suicidal Tendencies Friday morning
    Zen and Barrel Friday afternoon
    Church rocks and Prospector Saturday morning
    Took Sunday off to hike (Zion!)
    it rained Sunday night, Monday morning I checked with Red Rock Cycle, expecting to have to rent a road bike and ride some roads, but they assured me that Zen/Barrel would be ok.
    So I did Zen and Barrel again Monday morning, they were dry (well slightly damp, but not muddy or anything.
    So unfortunately I didn't get to ride any of the messas but I felt I did pretty good.

I also did some riding in Blue Diamond and Bootleg Canyon in Vegas. I fly out tomorrow morning.. but there is a snowstorm in my hometown so we'll so how it goes!

Thanks for the advice, I hope to be back.

Your Best Friend
    Thanks for visiting. Someday we'll get you onto the Mesas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Locals, how much snow do you think the mesas got, and how long do you think it will take for the roads to melt & dry out? A few of us are headed down in a week.

Your Best Friend
    The mesas got 6 to 8 inches and it's all still there. Temps are warming up which is only creating serious mud.

Gooseberry: if you can get there, the trail will handle riding, though it is covered in snow. Getting there is the issue.

Wire: same road issues as Goose but you'll destroy the trail.

Grafton: same road issue as Goose. Also snow and mud.

Little Creek: you could probably get there but the trail will be muddy and doesn't hold up well to traffic when wet.

Guacamole: you could probably get to the bottom of the steep climb but from there you'll be pushing up through serious mud.

Basically no, none of the mesas are accessible or rideable and will remain that way for another couple weeks. More snow is forecast for Saturday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Silentfoe, thanks for the update, as disappointing as it is. Are lower trails running good, or are there issues there as well?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    Silentfoe, thanks for the update, as disappointing as it is. Are lower trails running good, or are there issues there as well?
    Very hit and miss. We had a ton of moisture and now a freeze/thaw cycle. Early morning rides will be best. Lower trails are quickly drying out though so I'd say you'll probably be ok.

Your Best Friend
    Things are drying out very fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Any updates?

I was in STG/Zion in Feb and bailed on all the mesa rides due to mud and snow. Seems like the past few weeks have been more of the same. Would like to check out bike park and maybe JEM, Church Rocks and some of the trails that can take a little rain. How's it looking?

Thanks!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by PlankSpanker View Post
    Any updates?

I was in STG/Zion in Feb and bailed on all the mesa rides due to mud and snow. Seems like the past few weeks have been more of the same. Would like to check out bike park and maybe JEM, Church Rocks and some of the trails that can take a little rain. How's it looking?

Thanks!
    Just got a ton of rain yesterday. Still more in the forecast all week. The Mesas are still a no go as is JEM and Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki. Church Rocks/prospector, the Boy Scout Trails and Zen should be possible. The True Grit Epic is coming up, I think this next weekend (?) and so that will bar most of the Green Valley area trails.

JGL
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just got a ton of rain yesterday. Still more in the forecast all week. The Mesas are still a no go as is JEM and Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki. Church Rocks/prospector, the Boy Scout Trails and Zen should be possible. The True Grit Epic is coming up, I think this next weekend (?) and so that will bar most of the Green Valley area trails.

True Grit is on Saturday, March 9. Does anyone have experience with how much of a circus the trails used in the race (e.g. Zen, Barrel, etc.) are in the days leading up to the event, especially Thursday and Friday, with racers pre-riding the trails? We are going down to ride Wed-Sat and with past and future rain looking at options.

Thanks
    Last edited by JGL; 03-03-2019 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ugh, thanks for pointing out that True Grit is this weekend! I detoured around Sedona to avoid crowds and mud this weekend so it would have been a major buzz-kill to show up in STG and get crowds and mud next weekend

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Planning to be Hurricane 3/15-19. I know itís a crap shoot predicting weather, but based on current conditions, how many dry days are needed to dry out the JEM and Rim trails, and/or the road to Gooseberry? We rode there two years ago at this time, and trails were great. Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'm there next week 03/11-03/15, hopefully things are decent.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    it seems like this is an especially wet year.

check out this facebook group (southern utah mountain bike trail reports)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1468420246770787/

Someone posted a picture of a honda CRV being towed out of the ruts on the gooseberry road

Your Best Friend
    Well, it depends on how wet we are and what the water table is. Right now the table is saturated and so any new moisture just sits on top. We are also moving past the free/thaw cycles so even early mornings are a no go. We have rain forecast for the next 5 days. That definitely won't help. With that much rain, I'd wager that JEM and surrounding trails will take close to a week to dry. Same for the Mesa roads.

I hate to literally rain on everyone's parades but it is a rough spring for riding here. There are always trails to ride, they just aren't the popular ones.

On behalf of all of the locals, please don't be that guy who feels entitled to ride muddy trails because you "drove all the way here".

Keep asking and I'll keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I hate to literally rain on everyone's parades but it is a rough spring for riding here. There are always trails to ride, they just aren't the popular ones.

On behalf of all of the locals, please don't be that guy who feels entitled to ride muddy trails because you "drove all the way here".
    Appreciate the detailed answer. I am very active with our local trail group here, in both advocacy and trail build/maintain/repair so I know not to be ďthat guyĒ (at least Iíd like to think so). Fingers crossed that it stops raining by the 9th and lots of sunshine dries things out for a week before we get there.

mtbr member
    Mesas trails a no go now, especially Goose acess road due to deep wet ruts. We turned around as soon as we saw the deep ruts and headed out. Road is thrashed big time. Opted for Little Creek to see. Road not bad due to sandier composition. I reconned Little Creek Trails and all a no go with exception of slick rock sections only for brief periods of time. Most all St George trails good now until rain hits again Wednesday. Rode Zen, Barrel, Suicidal Tendencies, Sidewinder, Barrel Roll past two days and all good, especially today. Not sure on JEM, thinking fine until Wednesday, but parts of loop maybe not ideal.
    Ride On!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Mesas trails a no go now, especially Goose acess road due to deep wet ruts. We turned around as soon as we saw the deep ruts and headed out. Road is thrashed big time. Opted for Little Creek to see. Road not bad due to sandier composition. I reconned Little Creek Trails and all a no go with exception of slick rock sections only for brief periods of time. Most all St George trails good now until rain hits again Wednesday. Rode Zen, Barrel, Suicidal Tendencies, Sidewinder, Barrel Roll past two days and all good, especially today. Not sure on JEM, thinking fine until Wednesday, but parts of loop maybe not ideal.
    The issue with Little Creek is that the road holds up well and is typically ok. However the trails do not handle the moisture at all. Little Creek gets destroyed because people get all the way out there and then ride the muddy trails anyway.

Rain storms come in this evening. If you rode JEM today, you'll be fine. After today, not so much. This weekend they'll be muddy after another 3 days of rain.

Report for Guacamole is that the ruts going up the last steep hill are deep and extensive. You'll need a high clearance 4x4 to get up there and good luck. Or, you can park at the bottom and ride/hike up. Of course, that is only for today.

mtbr member
    The issue with Little Creek is that the road holds up well and is typically ok. However the trails do not handle the moisture at all. Little Creek gets destroyed because people get all the way out there and then ride the muddy trails anyway.

Rain storms come in this evening. If you rode JEM today, you'll be fine. After today, not so much. This weekend they'll be muddy after another 3 days of rain.

Report for Guacamole is that the ruts going up the last steep hill are deep and extensive. You'll need a high clearance 4x4 to get up there and good luck. Or, you can park at the bottom and ride/hike up. Of course, that is only for today.

Ditto that. I only did brief 2 mile recon ride in Little Creek to see if doable to for today and discovered not so turned around and just camped up there. At JEM now walking the trails. Guy at lot did out/back on JEM yesterday and said good and his bike completely clean. After tonight, no go of course
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    What's the guess for trail conditions at True Grit this Saturday?
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    What's the guess for trail conditions at True Grit this Saturday?
    If forecast holds with very wet Wednesday (like on Saturday) and dry and sunny Thursday and Friday, then should be good to go Saturday. Trails have been good to great there the past few days (Sun-Tues). Rode most all of Santa Clara stuff yesterday and loops on Barrel and Zen Sunday and today. Only thing shitty (we aborted) on Sunday due to poor conditions was first section of Jeezy climb (part of Grit course). Was like wet concrete that clogged the wheel up immediately. We stopped and immediately got off trail and went to steep climb doubletrack instead to get to top of Barrel. Today Jeezy section is mostly firm, but rutted tire damage evident from people going thru it the past couple of days. Only section and parts of Bearclaw maybe might be bad on Saturdays race
    Ride On!

Your Best Friend
    https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.XIAD5htlAwA

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Just spent the past 5 days in the StG/Hurkin area. Rode Bearclaw/Poopi/Sticky, Zen, JEM and a few others. The trails at lower elevations (i.e. not on a Mesa) were OK, but still a little wet with occasional PBJ mud to keep things interesting. Goose and Guac were still doing freeze/thaw cycle, so talked to a few folks who had been up there and decided against it so the trails have a chance to recover. I'd still say it's a few weeks off from being ideal but getting close,

St. George rideable trails with rain-stg_sm.jpg

St. George rideable trails with rain-cow_sm.jpg

mtbr member
    I was at Goose yesterday (3/16) I rode Gander and part of the So Rim. Conditions were perfect, I saw one spot of mud on the trail.
    The road out had a couple of puddles, there were a lot of people out there including some special folks from Texas who decided that parking right on the road and camping 12' into the bush was a great idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post
    Conditions were perfect, I saw one spot of mud on the trail.
    Dang it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thinking of heading out either tomorrow (Wednesday night) or Thursday to ride Thurs./Fri. With the rain that is supposed to come in, will it be rideable or should I head South?

FB hasn't been updated since the 16th, but it sounded ok just like above posts, but don't know what new moisture means.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Same question, rain Thursday, will Fri-Sat be worth it or should head to Vegas.

I know itís hard to know until it rains, so maybe someone can post Thursday night?

Might go to Vegas Friday, let SG dry out another day, then drive up Saturday on the way to SLC.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

Your Best Friend
    The rain is supposed to start today and carry through tomorrow afternoon, maybe into Friday. Gooseberry Mesa and Guacamole Mesa should still be good. No on Wire, Grafton and Little Creek. JEM and the Hurricane Rim trails will be bad. Everything closer to, and in St. George will be fine.

Your Best Friend
    The rain came on strong. My previous post remains true.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm assuming this is way above the normal moisture amount for the year.
    Although it's not great for short term riding, I'm hoping it helps with the overall water situation in the area.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Silentfoe,

Thanks for the update. If you got as much rain as is coming down in Moab right now I am impressed that trails will be rideable the day after. The desert is amazing. It is standing puddles here and rain is coming down strong.

Heading to Sedona

Your Best Friend
    Update: massive amounts of rain and even snow. All of the Mesas are a no go now.

And yes, this is absolutely not normal for our area, this time of year. Hopefully California appreciates all of the moisture.

mtbr member
    I stopped by Red Rocks Bicycles this morning and they said Barrel Roll and Zen should be good to go. I'll probably hit Church Rocks in the morning and Barrell Roll in the afternoon. I didn't ask about the Hurricane side as I am visiting family in Ivins so I won't be heading out that way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    All of the Mesas are a no go now.
    Any update? Curious if Gooseberry will be good to go by Sat/Sun?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JeT442 View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1468420246770787 - Southern Utah Mountain Bike Trail Reports

Pictures from yesterday (towing company pulling vehicles out of the mud) doesn't look promising.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just got home from riding and some hiking in Utah and Nevada. Two days riding in Hurricane, a Gooseberry day and a big Gouldís, Rim etc 26-miler from town up the new switchbacks, with only a short road downhill back to town. Timing couldnít have been better between the rains, with easy access and no trail damage. Thanks to all here and on the Southern Utah trail FB page for tips and updates, and especially Over The Edge and the local trail builders (and land managers) who make these trails worth a 1500 mile drive.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    Just got home from riding and some hiking in Utah and Nevada. Two days riding in Hurricane, a Gooseberry day and a big Gouldís, Rim etc 26-miler from town up the new switchbacks, with only a short road downhill back to town. Timing couldnít have been better between the rains, with easy access and no trail damage. Thanks to all here and on the Southern Utah trail FB page for tips and updates, and especially Over The Edge and the local trail builders (and land managers) who make these trails worth a 1500 mile drive.
    Sounds like you fit it in at the perfect time. Monday and Tuesday were perfect for riding.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by JeT442 View Post
    Well, it's Friday and still raining off and on. The road is nasty and unless you're super determined, you won't make it. Even if you did, you'll F-up the trails. This weekend is not a good bet. This will take a few days to dry out.

Your Best Friend
    BTW, you can always post here to get updates on the local trails. I'm happy to help. OTE gets their Mesa and JEM updates from me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    BTW, you can always post here to get updates on the local trails. I'm happy to help. OTE gets their Mesa and JEM updates from me.

How do you think StG trails will be Sat-Mon? I get down there with some kids early Saturday tomorrow. Was hoping to do a Turtle Wall/Paradise lap or two Saturday afternoon, and Santa Clara stuff (Barrel, specifically) on Sunday. The kids were also hoping to ride the bike park some, and ride the old Rampage site on Monday afternoon. Still seems like a reasonable plan given the forecast for this afternoon onward, but I'm not there....

mtbr member
    Just did Barrel Roll this afternoon and the road up to the trailhead was a fair bit muddy on the way in but had dried considerably during our ride. The trail itself was fine just a few spots of puddles but great conditions otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    How do you think StG trails will be Sat-Mon? I get down there with some kids early Saturday tomorrow. Was hoping to do a Turtle Wall/Paradise lap or two Saturday afternoon, and Santa Clara stuff (Barrel, specifically) on Sunday. The kids were also hoping to ride the bike park some, and ride the old Rampage site on Monday afternoon. Still seems like a reasonable plan given the forecast for this afternoon onward, but I'm not there....
    Sorry just saw this. Looks like it was answered though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1468420246770787 - Southern Utah Mountain Bike Trail Reports

Pictures from yesterday (towing company pulling vehicles out of the mud) doesn't look promising.
    Their facebook page is pure gold. I've been stuck myself in the past for doing stupid thngs, but I can't help but feel some schadenfreude!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Sorry just saw this. Looks like it was answered though.

Hi!

I just drove in from Calgary today to ride for the next week and thought I'd ask if you have any suggestions for the next few days. I was planing to just go up gould and then around dead ringer and back on Hurricane rim tuesday. That would be ride #1. I'm maybe an intermediate level at best rider.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Hi!

I just drove in from Calgary today to ride for the next week and thought I'd ask if you have any suggestions for the next few days. I was planing to just go up gould and then around dead ringer and back on Hurricane rim tuesday. That would be ride #1. I'm maybe an intermediate level at best rider.

Thanks!
    Have you ridden out there before? I find the Gould/Hurricane Rim loop one of the most boring rides out there. Obviously, others don't agree. I'm not out there but saw on a local trails FB post that people were getting towed out trying to get to Gooseberry Mesa today.

You generally can't go wrong riding out at Church Rocks. It's rideable when everything else is too wet, easy to get to and it's generally low intermediate in nature. Barrel Roll is another good trail to start the week if its rideable.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Have you ridden out there before? I find the Gould/Hurricane Rim loop one of the most boring rides out there. Obviously, others don't agree. I'm not out there but saw on a local trails FB post that people were getting towed out trying to get to Gooseberry Mesa today.

You generally can't go wrong riding out at Church Rocks. It's rideable when everything else is too wet, easy to get to and it's generally low intermediate in nature. Barrel Roll is another good trail to start the week if its rideable.
    No I have not ridden out here and am flying blind! I had a friend that was supposed to come on this trip that has been here but had to bail because they just started a new job. I was planning to do the following days.

tues-Guacamole
    weds-Gooseberry
    thurs-St George area not zen as that would probably be too much or Short loop little creek mesa
    --Hurricane MTB festival shuttles -fri
    --Hurricane MTB festival shuttles - sat

Now it seems the trails aren't in good condition or the roads to the trails. I'm kinda sitting in the hotel room wondering what I'm going to do. I wasn't going to do much Jem stuff as that was supposed to be friday and sat.

mtbr member
    Quail Creek is often good to go when others are not. The R& B area on the west side of the reservoir needs a day to set (was fine this Sunday) but the Eastern techy side is often good sooner

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    Hi!

Thanks!
    Hey Dale, I just spent a week in the area, currently spending some time in Moab before heading back to Regina. So, not a local (first time in Utah), but Iíll share my perspective as an intermediate rider (qualified as chunky climbs and descents are my weakness).

I crammed in the riding on the first 4 days as it was forecast to rain on Wednesday. Sunday I did Barrel Roll/Sidewinder (loved these trails) then went to Zen. Did Zen clockwise, had a lot of trouble navigating and walked a lot. But it was so beautiful I didnít care. Monday I did around 40k on the Hurricane Cliffs Trails, starting at Hurricane Rim, then a bunch of stuff up top. Itís a great xc workout area. Then in the afternoon I went and did Bearclaw Poppi and Stucki...really flowy trails but lots of spider trails going everywhere.

Tuesday I did Wire Mesa then Gooseberry. Wire was probably my favourite ride, trail was easy to follow and just plain fun for my level. Gooseberry was also great, would have loved to go back and do it again with a bit of knowledge of how the trail flows under my belt. Wednesday I did Guacamole. Gold star for this trail too. I found the back part a bit tough to follow, and again would have loved to do it again, but I wanted to get out before it rained. Went back on Saturday and did the Santa Clara and St. George Trails again (barrel roll/sidewinder/rim rock trails - the latter was okay to do if youíre there anyway and are just looking to ride), then did Zen again, this time counterclockwise. Easier direction, still some walking but loved it.

So thatís my perspective, for what itís worth. Enjoy your time there!

Your Best Friend
    All of the trails are good. Get out there and ride. You'll encounter some puddles on some trails. Make sure to go through and not around. There are also large mud puddles on Gooseberry access roads but enough people have gone around that you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks Prarrie MTB and Silentfoe for the advice, It's good to know all the trails are good! I will make some choices soon on the rest of the week. Today I think I'll just do Hurricane Cliffs to ease in day 1 as I know I will have a sore butt tomorrow.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to try Gooseberry and then Barrel roll/sidewinder area.

Your Best Friend
    Highly recommend doing Wire Mesa for your skill level. If you can handle that, then do Gooseberry. It's out by Goose anyway.