St. George pic in BIKE magazine, Nov 2004?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. George pic in BIKE magazine, Nov 2004?

So, this is probably a longshot, but does anyone know where the pic is taken from of rider Janne Tjarnstrom on page 16-17 in the Nov. 2004 issue (vol. 11, no. 7) in BIKE? It is pic of some singletrack cutting through rollers on some type of mesa, maybe Broken Mesa trail out of St. George?

Asking because I am coming to ride in the area the end of next month for the first time and that looks like a place I definitely want to check out.

Thanks,

Jon.

No, that's not phonetic
    Scan and post the pic.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Scan and post the pic.
    Sorry no scanner here. I stumbled on the magazine at a second hand shop in Portland, that had stacks of old mt. bike mags, and was stoked to see the pic since I am heading down there in a few weeks for the first time.

mtbr member

Team Sanchez
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    If the pic you are talking about is the one that Bogey just posted, then that is the Bear Claw Poppy trail in St. George(Green Valley) And to be honest with you, there are 9 or 10 other trails I'd ride before riding that one. Bear Claw is a nice single track to take your wife on, or maybe for a quick lunch time loop, but other than that, it is a bit too tame.

mtbr member
    It looks like it could be the Green Valley Loop trail, but I am not 100% sure..
    There are tons of trails like this in the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    That is it!, great investigative work.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    If the pic you are talking about is the one that Bogey just posted, then that is the Bear Claw Poppy trail in St. George(Green Valley) And to be honest with you, there are 9 or 10 other trails I'd ride before riding that one. Bear Claw is a nice single track to take your wife on, or maybe for a quick lunch time loop, but other than that, it is a bit too tame.
    Thanks El C.,

So, looks can be deceiving, for some reason that looks like a lot of fun, but I will take your word for it. So, is Stucki Springs any better? or don't bother and hit the other rides instead as well?

Jaybo and I (fellow Turner rider, I refuse to use the word, "homer" to identify someone who rides the same brand bike as me) will be coming down in three weeks (2/25-3/3) to ride and if you want to hook up, especially on Little Cr. and/or Barrel Trail, that would be great! We are planning on staying in Springdale for at least the first three days (Sun-Tues). If I don't bring my laptop to connect, we will have are cell phones for sure to meet up.

Jon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Thanks El C.,

So, looks can be deceiving, for some reason that looks like a lot of fun, but I will take your word for it. So, is Stucki Springs any better? or don't bother and hit the other rides instead as well?

Jaybo and I (fellow Turner rider, I refuse to use the word, "homer" to identify someone who rides the same brand bike as me) will be coming down in three weeks (2/25-3/3) to ride and if you want to hook up, especially on Little Cr. and/or Barrel Trail, that would be great! We are planning on staying in Springdale for at least the first three days (Sun-Tues). If I don't bring my laptop to connect, we will have are cell phones for sure to meet up.

Jon

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yes it looks like Bear Claw Poppy and it does connect to the Stucki Spring trail. Combined it makes a good XC ride. Like El Chingon said it's not the most technically challenging, but it is a fun twisty XC ride that you can really fly on. If you prefer more techie, freeride stuff head over towards Zion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR
    Yes it looks like Bear Claw Poppy and it does connect to the Stucki Spring trail. Combined it makes a good XC ride. Like El Chingon said it's not the most technically challenging, but it is a fun twisty XC ride that you can really fly on. If you prefer more techie, freeride stuff head over towards Zion.
    So, if someone would have to choose to ride either JEM/Hurricane/Gould's loop or Stucki Springs/Bearclaw Poppy, which is the better ride to choose. We aleady have plans to ride Gooseberry, Little Cr., Rockville Bench, Grafton Mesa and Broken Mesa and time limits us to ride both those two sk rides. We are trail/all-mt. riders primarily, that like to ride a little bit of everything.

Thanks.

No, that's not phonetic
    I would vote for Hurricane/Goulds/JEM (in that order, btw) over the Stucki/Poppy ride, personally.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I would vote for Hurricane/Goulds/JEM (in that order, btw) over the Stucki/Poppy ride, personally.
    I agree. Stucki Springs/BearClawPoppy is a fun fast swoopy desert singletrack ride, but HurricaneRim/GouldsRim/JEM is just as fun, is longer, and has better views.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Make sure you ride Grafton, it is super fun. There is also a really unique trail called "nephi's twist" that comes down into La Verkin. It is kind of short, but it is one of the coolest trails down there. You are basically on top of a knife edge ridge the whole time. It is way fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    Make sure you ride Grafton, it is super fun. There is also a really unique trail called "nephi's twist" that comes down into La Verkin. It is kind of short, but it is one of the coolest trails down there. You are basically on top of a knife edge ridge the whole time. It is way fun.
    Thanks for the rec.

JG

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I would say stick to riding in the Hurricane area for your main riding days.

When I go to St. George, I always stay at our 2nd home in Green Valley, and the Green Valley riding is fun, i.e. Barrel roll, but I use these trails as 2nd ride of the day trails or quick rides.

If I was going to just ride with the guys, I would still stay in St. George as most accommodations are nicer and there are some good restaurants in St. George. I get up early and head out to the Hurricane/Zion riding spots and then return to St. George for lunch and the afternoon rides like, Green Valley loops, Broken Mesa, and Church Rocks. All of these trails you can do as 2nd rides as long as you have a shuttle for Broken Mesa.

Dreaming of St. George for the past 2 months here in snowy Colorado

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoRider1
    I would say stick to riding in the Hurricane area for your main riding days.

When I go to St. George, I always stay at our 2nd home in Green Valley, and the Green Valley riding is fun, i.e. Barrel roll, but I use these trails as 2nd ride of the day trails or quick rides.

If I was going to just ride with the guys, I would still stay in St. George as most accommodations are nicer and there are some good restaurants in St. George. I get up early and head out to the Hurricane/Zion riding spots and then return to St. George for lunch and the afternoon rides like, Green Valley loops, Broken Mesa, and Church Rocks. All of these trails you can do as 2nd rides as long as you have a shuttle for Broken Mesa.

Dreaming of St. George for the past 2 months here in snowy Colorado
    Thanks,

Yeah, Zion area will our homebase for the bulk of our rides since staying in Springdale for our stay and plan on hitting rides in St. Geroge area for back-up or 2nd rides as mentioned or if the weather is bad in the higher elevations.

JG

Feb 2007
    Just a couple of words of advice from a St George local. It really is more convenient to stay in St George in the Winter and Spring. You will be doing a lot of driving if you stay in Springdale, especially if it rains.

In February and March the weather can be really good or really bad here. The road to Gooseberry can be inpassable if it gets muddy. During the summer this isn't a problem since it drys out so fast. The road to Little Creek is better, but the ride itself is often snowy in the early spring. (I have ridden it 3 times this week, and it is still a little muddy and snowy in spots). Speaking of Little Creek, be sure you know what you are doing out there, it is getting better, but I still find people lost.

Another couple of suggestions...Broken Mesa, JEM, Grafton Mesa and Bear Claw are best done as shuttle rides. Not that you can't do them as loops...there's just better ways to spend your time and energy. Be sure not to miss some of the rides that no one talks about on forums like Barrel Roll, Church Rocks, Warner Valley, Goulds Rim, Hurricane Rim. All are good "desert" rides, but don't get much publicity. Have Fun, and I'll probably see you on the trail...Look for an old fat guy on a Kona Supreme.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbb-utah
    Just a couple of words of advice from a St George local. It really is more convenient to stay in St George in the Winter and Spring. You will be doing a lot of driving if you stay in Springdale, especially if it rains.

In February and March the weather can be really good or really bad here. The road to Gooseberry can be inpassable if it gets muddy. During the summer this isn't a problem since it drys out so fast. The road to Little Creek is better, but the ride itself is often snowy in the early spring. (I have ridden it 3 times this week, and it is still a little muddy and snowy in spots). Speaking of Little Creek, be sure you know what you are doing out there, it is getting better, but I still find people lost.

Another couple of suggestions...Broken Mesa, JEM, Grafton Mesa and Bear Claw are best done as shuttle rides. Not that you can't do them as loops...there's just better ways to spend your time and energy. Be sure not to miss some of the rides that no one talks about on forums like Barrel Roll, Church Rocks, Warner Valley, Goulds Rim, Hurricane Rim. All are good "desert" rides, but don't get much publicity. Have Fun, and I'll probably see you on the trail...Look for an old fat guy on a Kona Supreme.
    Thanks, I will keep my eye out for you and yeah, if weather is not in our favor, we plan to stay in st. george instead. T

That is exactly how we were planning to do those rides listed, as shuttles to save our legs between longer rides and get as much trail time as possible.

JG

Members who have read this thread: 0