St. George Mileage- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St. George Mileage

Hey All,

I'm going to be around ST. George this weekend and I'm looking to put together a medium length ride - about 50 - 60 miles. We'll also be ridding all the usual suspects in the area.

Does anyone have some suggestions for rides around that length?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I guess you could ride Gooseberry 5 times.
    Maybe I don't understand the question. Are you talking road or dirt?

mtbr member

Thought of that...

I'm trying to find a medium distance sweet dirt ride.

I've thought of the "do the trail X times" thing, and the "find a long dirt road and ride" thing. Both seem not quite right.

I really like trying to put together bigger rides. So, I guess I'm looking for linking options for existing trails, or maybe exploratory routes off known trails.

mtbr member

A months worth??????????????????????

Park by the highway, ride Goose, return to the highway and cross it and ride all of Littlecreek. If the Bros. have been busy they are supposed to be working on an approved 42 miler on littlecreek Mesa; that added to the fireroad from the highway to both trailheads should offer way more than you're sick idea of a "MEDIUM LENGTH" ride

mtbr member
    Slowrider I like that one, how about this for a " medium length" ride.

Start from the highway, ride Goose then down the dirt road to Grafton Mesa. Continue on through Porterville and up to The Swamp. Getting back to the car might make it medium-long but well worth the adventure. I may do that this weekend, I can't believe I didn't think of this before.

Another optoin maybe to do the ride Slowrider proposed but instead of heading back to the car drop of the edge of the world onto the dirt road from Hurricane to the Fort Pierce ruins ending up back in St. George. I guess that might need a shuttle....or not.

It's amazing what incredible options I have when I take reality and my fitness level out of the equation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Park at Sheep Bridge, ride traditional JEM, return to Sheep Bridge, ride Highway 9 to Virgin, turn up Dalton Wash and ride Guacamole, return to highway ride to Rockville, take road up to Anasasi Plateau, ride Slickrock Swamp, return to Highway 9, cross Virgin River on Bridge Road, ride up to Gooseberry, ride Gooseberry. Ride out to Highway 59, turn left and hit Little Creek, make sure you also do the Arrowhead trail out there. Return to Highway 59, if you are a little tired by now ride Highway 59 to upper JEM trailhead and go back to vehicle. If you need more riding, ride down Goulds to the radio towers, hop in the Hurrican Rim trail and take that back to vehicle.
    For the afternoon ride, head to Green Valley....

Hope this helps.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    ...when I take reality and my fitness level out of the equation.
    Oh h*ll, I should have thought of that when I used to race XC! I'd have been on the podium every race!

Optimator, if you consider 50-60 miles of S. Utah dirt and slickrock a "medium-sized" ride, more power to ya. I expect to see you at the top of the pro class in the IMC. What's a long road ride to you? 200-300 miles? Did you just dump Sheryl Crow?

Mere mortals like myself usually consider ~15 miles of Gooseberry or Little Creek pounding to be a good day in the saddle. Beer and burritos at Oscar's well-earned.

If you really want that 50-60 miles, I suggest starting in Springdale, pedaling up to Gooseberry, doing a long loop, pedaling to Little Creek, doing a "short" loop there, pedaling back towards town the way you came, and dropping down Grafton Mesa. Assuming about 13 miles on Gooseberry, 15 or so on Little Creek, and 20-25 miles of dirt road, that will give you your 50-60. If you come up a little short, hit Slickrock Swamp before calling search and rescue. Up for more? The Redbull course is just down the road...

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Here's my top local loops of that distance

1. 2 laps on the Goulds/Jem/Hurricane Rim loop - did that one yesterday - its 50 miles if you do the Sheep Bridge leg on both laps.

2. Washington - Church Rocks - Prospector - Silver Reef - Up Oak Grove road and back along Turkey Farm road to St George with an option to descend IceHouse and/or Broken Mesa

3. Stucki - Blakes Lambing ground - Bulldog Canyon - Curly Hollow - Bloomington. That is mostly dirt road and mega, mega climbing. Tons of elevation gain, huge views, not so technical. Screaming fast 8 mile descent down Curly Hollow - nothing faster in the area off-road.

Members who have read this thread: 0