St.george in july- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

St.george in july

My wife and I are going to vegas on july 10th for a week and there is no way I'm going to pass up the opportunity to ride out west for the first time. So I fiqured s.w. Utah here I come!

I am looking for advice on which trails would be good for a 43 year old flatlander with decent tech Skills but no long climbing experiance at all. Also should I convert my 1x9 to a 3x9 for the trip? Should I get a guide? What will the weather be like?

I would like this to be the best riding experiance I could ever imagine. So any thing useful you could tell me would be really apperciated.

NOT Team Sanchez
    It will be 110 degrees, you'll have to be off the trails at around nine to avoid frying, and I'm not joking. It stays as high as 85-90 degrees some nights, but we do it all summer long, and yes convert your bike to 3x9 as all the goods require some climbing to get to.......you know what? you should stay to the high country near Brian Head....July'll be awesome up there!
    I like bikes.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer27
    My wife and I are going to vegas on july 10th for a week and there is no way I'm going to pass up the opportunity to ride out west for the first time. So I fiqured s.w. Utah here I come!

I am looking for advice on which trails would be good for a 43 year old flatlander with decent tech Skills but no long climbing experiance at all. Also should I convert my 1x9 to a 3x9 for the trip? Should I get a guide? What will the weather be like?

I would like this to be the best riding experiance I could ever imagine. So any thing useful you could tell me would be really apperciated.

It's Going to be Hot! Then you'll go to Vegas and it'll be even hotter. It's going to be morning and evening rides unless your from Saudia Arabia. You'll want to be off the trails from 10-6 for your sanity.

What size gear are you running up front? You Should be fine if your running in the mid 30's. I hardly ever get outta my middle chain ring. It is nice to have the 44 for some of the fast singletrack sections but no big deal if you don't have it.

How long do you plan on staying. Some trails to consider that are worth it if your staying for a day or two.

Hurricane Area:
    1. Jem Trail -Depending on how many miles you can handle from 12 to 26 if you want more by adding hurricane rim and Goulds.
    2. Gooseberry Mesa for some slick rock and/or for a smaller version Ride
    3. Rockville Bench is just as good just shorter.

St.George Area:
    1. Stucki Springs with green valley aka Bearclaw Poppy around 12 miles of good fast singletrack
    2. Santa Clara Reserve Trails (Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Rim Rocks) All Good ones to ride with some light areas of tech riding. Singletrack with Rocks hear and there but still great views of Snow Canyon and Ivins red rocks.
    3. Paradise Canyon via turtle wall. This is a short loop inside town that is on my fav list. Is short 3-5 miles but is good tech singletrack
    4. Prospector to Church Rocks. More Flowy Singletrack
    5. Zen. Zens a must ride but does involve a good amount of climbing to start it out but is totally worth it.

Check out http://Utahmountainbiking.com They got all the maps and info you'll need.

PM if you need someone to show you around. Im always willing to give Tours.
    Any other questions?

mtbr member
    Yea that was what I was affraid of that it would be to hot. Ok I will start looking for stuff about brian head. Also I will be riding a voodoo canzo 29er any issues with only 4 inch travel?

NOT Team Sanchez
    A 4'' 29er will be perfect here, and don't take us wrongly; you can definitely ride here in July, we do, but you'll have to get a very early start.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Or Ride

With Lights. Lights are the key to riding in St george in July. Also if you are going to ride at brianhead you are going to be climbing, and not just climbing but steep sustained climbing at 9000 feet. You can shuttle some stuff and climb less, or ride the chair lift at the resort.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Don't let em scare ya, riding in the early morning hrs is great, you can get a 3hr+ ride in and still have all day to do whatever..... like work.
    I ride a SS 29er on all the trails that have been talked about, rigid on most of them. There are no long sustained climbs in the area to worry about.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I started looking at vids of some of the trails mentioned above and Jem,goose and barrel roll? Look like a few I would like to tackle. Maybe zen if I have the legs.

I should be able to get a day and a half of riding in so I will need to choose carefully. Which trail would be best for nice fast flowing singletrack? There is nothing really flowing in n.e. Ohio so would like to experiance that.

I think I will start riding my singlespeed 29er to get my legs and lungs ready for the task. But still will be bringing the canzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well Fast and Flowy

Is a great description of Brianhead.

Here are the Trails ranked in order of Flowyness. Others feel free to disagree. If you make a good case for why one trail is more or less flowy I will update the order.

1. Green Valley Loop/Stuki Springs. MMMMMM Flowy
    2. Jem
    3 . Green Valley Racecourse.
    4. Church Rocks/ Prospector
    5. Broken Mesa. I know its been through alot these last few year and I have not been up there in a long time, but in its Heyday that wass some of the fastest flowiest funnest singletrack in the state.
    6. Paradise Canyon. Once you figure out that not only can you ride the techy sections, but they can be ridden with speed this loop has a great flow. Its also a short enough loop that you could ride around it 3 times and get things dialed in.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    It may not be your cup of tea but I still recommend you hit gooseberry. It really is a completly different riding expierence and would be a shame if you came here and didn't try it. You may walk a few sections but it's a lot of fun. It's higher in elevation then st george so it's a little cooler but you'd still want to be done by 10:00.

mtbr member
    I ride in the middle of the day but no one ever comes with me. hahah love this area for riding.

mtbr member
    If you can get to Brain Head (not too far from St George) it is my favorite place to ride in UT. The weather is perfect in July, the backcountry trails are spectacular, and the group who runs the mountain and backcountry shuttles are great.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I rode all last August

I was on trail by 6:30AM and off by 10:00Am and did a buch of evening/night rides.

IMO..skip Prospector... it will be hell that time of year, except hell doesn't have as much sand.

Gooseberry is great. It's 5000+ feet so a tad cooler than the valley floor which is 2500-3000or so... Most days I had Gooseberry all to myself and as I rolled up to the parking lot at 10AM the ding-dongs were gettig ready to go out...

Seriously... heat can kill you quickly. If you are busting your ass in 110 degrees you cannot put enough fluids in to keep up. I like to ride mid-day sometimes and I am very careful to monitor my fluid intake. I use 2 water bottles every 90 minutes or 100 ounces for three - three and a half hours.

I live in virgin and I'll be happy to ride with you.

mtbr member
    Thanks to all for all the great info.
    Now I have two problems Which trails to ride and will my wife divorce me if I leave her in vegas for a week solo?
    I'm actually driving from ohio to vegas so on the way back I think I will get a day in moab also.
    Again thanks for all the great ideas. I hope I can meet up with some of you to break this utah virgin in.

Feb 2010
    Yeah its a beauty, take this route

http://******/8ZTQF

Lemme knw what u think !

Thanks. X

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Can be 110

But the average temperature in St. George in July is 101.

mtbr member
    I'm just about a month away from my vacation to vegas and getting really excited! Not for vegas,cause really I could really care less, but for my 2 days I have planned for sw utah! which will be the 13th and 14th. The 2 trails that I would like to do the most are

1)Thunder mountain
    2)Gooseberry

I will play it by ear and on what other places I should ride. I might try and get a night ride in if I can. I saw a company that will supply lights and shuttle you to the trails called mountain bike buddies. Are they a good shuttle service? Just curious.

Anyway hope I run into some of you mtbr's. I will be the pale, short, pudgy dude on the green canzo 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slayer27
    I'm just about a month away from my vacation to vegas and getting really excited! Not for vegas,cause really I could really care less, but for my 2 days I have planned for sw utah! which will be the 13th and 14th. The 2 trails that I would like to do the most are

1)Thunder mountain
    2)Gooseberry

I will play it by ear and on what other places I should ride. I might try and get a night ride in if I can. I saw a company that will supply lights and shuttle you to the trails called mountain bike buddies. Are they a good shuttle service? Just curious.

Anyway hope I run into some of you mtbr's. I will be the pale, short, pudgy dude on the green canzo 29er.
    Well, if this is your dream ride vacation I can't imagine why you'd want to make one of your rides at night. (caveat: I never ride at night).

What makes more sense to me is to NOT think of this as some epic bike vacation, 'cause riding in Utah in July is not ideal. Yeah, you can take precautions, ride SUPER EARLY, try not to die in the heat, but the locals have experience in this stuff, you're a self described "pale short pudgy" dude.

Just do some easy rides to get a taste of the area, then plan some future epic trip for early October or March/April.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    Well, if this is your dream ride vacation I can't imagine why you'd want to make one of your rides at night. (caveat: I never ride at night).

What makes more sense to me is to NOT think of this as some epic bike vacation, 'cause riding in Utah in July is not ideal. Yeah, you can take precautions, ride SUPER EARLY, try not to die in the heat, but the locals have experience in this stuff, you're a self described "pale short pudgy" dude.

Just do some easy rides to get a taste of the area, then plan some future epic trip for early October or March/April.
    Yea xc guy I know about the heat that's why I was considering a night ride. I know the heat can be a killer because I ride alot in Laredo, Texas.

I really would have liked this vacation to have been in the better parts of the riding season but kids and school kinda dictate when we can take our vacation.

So basically that's all I am doing is just getting a taste and hopeing to be less pale and pudgy by the time I get there. Can't do anything about the short part

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Riding at night when you're new to the area can be sketchy and I think misses the purpose (the views all around you, and just being able to see in the general vicinity of the trail).

Totally up to you, but the scenery is so great, I'd hate to pretty much waste that pedaling in the dark.

Bummer for you is, what are you going to do all day when it is scorching hot. Bring the wife and maybe go into Springdale to hang out, tour through Zion, drive up to Bryce.....

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=KGAmoto]Riding at night when you're new to the area can be sketchy and I think misses the purpose (the views all around you, and just being able to see in the general vicinity of the trail).

Totally up to you, but the scenery is so great, I'd hate to pretty much waste that pedaling in the dark.

Bummer for you is, what are you going to do all day when it is scorching hot. Bring the wife and maybe go into Springdale to hang out, tour through Zion, drive up to Bryce.....[/QUO

I see your point on the night riding. That kinda would be a waste. as far as what to do during the day. I was thinking about taking the wife to zion or bryce.I guess we will fiqure something out.

Members who have read this thread: 0