St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    In agreement with both of the above.

Only suggestion would be to reverse your plans for your rides Tuesday. Start with LC ride, then do your JEM shuttle if you still have gas in the tank. That leaves your easier ride for last and puts you closer to town to finish.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    that's what we'll do Billj, thanks. We are fit and the distance and tech isn't a problem. Both of us are experienced on this sort of ride. I even bring a spare tire in my pack on big rides, which normally is used to bail someone else out instead of us.

Normally on GB we do the Gooseberry 8 (figure 8), doing HIdden Canyon 2x.

We routinely joke that 1 Utah mile = 3 normal ones, and a mesa mile = 4-5 normal ones LOL.

I appreciate the advice (all of it). I am not naive enough to think that looking at a map of a ride is enough to tell me what it's like, which is why I'm asking in advance on this particular ride (Little Creek).

The reason for doing JEM first was because I'm pretty sure it's 1-2 hours warmer down there than up high. I hate the cold. I figured we could do that, eat, then hit LC when it was a little warmer around 11-12.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    that's what we'll do Billj, thanks. We are fit and the distance and tech isn't a problem. Both of us are experienced on this sort of ride. I even bring a spare tire in my pack on big rides, which normally is used to bail someone else out instead of us.

Normally on GB we do the Gooseberry 8 (figure 8), doing HIdden Canyon 2x.

We routinely joke that 1 Utah mile = 3 normal ones, and a mesa mile = 4-5 normal ones LOL.

I appreciate the advice (all of it). I am not naive enough to think that looking at a map of a ride is enough to tell me what it's like, which is why I'm asking in advance on this particular ride (Little Creek).

The reason for doing JEM first was because I'm pretty sure it's 1-2 hours warmer down there than up high. I hate the cold. I figured we could do that, eat, then hit LC when it was a little warmer around 11-12.
    I wouldn't do any rides before noon right now. It's in the low to high 20's early and about 45 to 50 at noon. Getting a bit warmer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    It was 34 degrees (but sunny) when we started up JEM from the Virgin side on Monday morning at about 9 am. I was warm within a mile and was shedding one of my two layers.

On GB, we normally do South Rim out to Hidden Canyon over to North Rim hit Yellow Trail on the way back to Bowls & Ledges. This past weekend, we did South-HC-North-the other 1/2 of South to Secret Trail. It was our first time on Secret and two of us loved it, one hated it and one liked it until his blew up his derailleur (4) miles out from the truck. Secret was a 6+ mile loop that was 99% single track with a mix of tight, twisty, minor tech features with some exposure a few times, sand that was rideable for the 1st mile but watch out for cactus looking to bite. After about 3 miles, it opens up *a bit* but definitely gets faster as you get closer to merging back with South Rim.

If you have any desire to try Secret Trail, I suggest taking South Rim all the way out, make a left on Secret to ride it counter-clockwise. When you get back to South Rim, the Hidden Canyon trailhead is very close so if you gave the gas, you can still hit it. Secret definitely fit the 1 mile = 3 model you mentioned above.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    that's almost tropical compared to the Wasatch LOL

I'll hit Secret Trail in the Spring, not this trip. Thanks though!

mtbr member
    "We routinely joke that 1 Utah mile = 3 normal ones, and a mesa mile = 4-5 normal ones LOL."

^^^ Understanding this is half the battle...

Sounds like you would be fine riding either one first if timing requires it, but I know what order I would want to do them in if I were planning my day.

Sounds like a couple of fun days, enjoy!
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Trip was stellar! Perfect temps yesterday for Little Creek (we were on bikes at 10am, 50F. Was 60 by 11am. Route finding was not a problem until coming back on North Point, that slick rock on the East side only spun us around a couple times. I can see how that area is a huge problem if you are not paying attention. Nobody there when we arrived, and 1 other truck when we left at 4pm.

Even Gooseberry on Monday we were the only car in the lot. Deserted!

Little Creek will be a must ride for me from now on when I hit Gooseberry. My 2 partners actually enjoyed Little Creek more than Gooseberry (due to variety).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Howdy folks, heading to St George/Hurricane area in a few weeks. Either 3 or 4 days of riding. Looking max out around 10 miles 1k feet climbing each day, around the intermediate level technical wise.

What are the the MUST do rides?

I read the original post and his must rides were Zen and Gooseberry Mesa. Does everyone agree on those? What else should we hit?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetodd View Post
    Howdy folks, heading to St George/Hurricane area in a few weeks. Either 3 or 4 days of riding. Looking max out around 10 miles 1k feet climbing each day, around the intermediate level technical wise.

I read the original post and his must rides were Zen and Gooseberry Mesa. Does everyone agree on those? What else should we hit?

Thanks!
    Gooseberry Mesa is considered the crown jewel out there by most people because it's pretty much different than anything else in existence. Since this thread was started, Wire Mesa has been built & opened. You might want to go there first to "wet your appetite" for bigger trails to come. Guacamole is another trail that fits your criteria and some people call it "Baby Gooseberry". Zen is absolutely a great ride and one of my favorites. Many people get lost trying to make the loop and consequently don't like the trail. It's also more work than it seems it will/should be but every time I get done, I think to myself "that was soooooo much fun"!!! Don't forget to check out the JEM Trail and all it offers....basically the high speed flow trail of the area.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member

Thanks!
    Todd,
    I wouldn't really say that either Zen or Gooseberry are intermediate technical level trails overall. Yeah, an intermediate can survive on them, but may not have the most fun.
    Also, to the vertical, sometimes 1k vertical in st george trails may not "feel" the same as the same vertical in other areas.
    For example, Zen is only about 1400 vertical, I believe, but the first time I did it I was literally wiped out for the entire day afterward.
    Gooseberry is only about the same measured vertical, but take normal vertical and multiply by 2 for "mesa vertical" for how it feels.
    As K2 suggested, I'd head out to Wire Mesa trail for a taste of mesa riding before moving to Gooseberry or Little Creek.
    Suggested rides from your description:
    Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs loop.
    Prospector to church rocks lollipop loop from the Cottonwood trailhead.
    Any of the Santa Clara Preserve trails (except Suicidal Tendencies) Sidewinder, Barrel Roll, Precipice, Rim Runner/Rim Reaper.
    JEM (would suggest from the Sheep Bridge start area) Up JEM, Crypto, Dead Ringer, More Cowbell, down JEM, Crypto, JEM.
    Turtle Wall/Paradise Rim (not a trail that gets much attention)
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Formerly of Kent

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

I’m no sponsored Enduro or DH pro, nor will you see me on any PinkBike shredders.

But, I’ve done Zen a handful of times, and the hardest thing about it is finding the actual trail itself at several points on the way up. There are so many (heavily trodden) spider trails leading off to nothing that it can be a pretty frustrating experience.

There are a couple of small rock drops with alternate lines to go bigger. Some rougher, rockier sections on the descent if doing it CCW.

Depending on source of info,
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Also, to the vertical, sometimes 1k vertical in st george trails may not "feel" the same as the same vertical in other areas.
    For example, Zen is only about 1400 vertical, I believe, but the first time I did it I was literally wiped out for the entire day afterward.
    If you've ridden in Sedona, would you compare the vertical to that? Vertical in Sedona left me more tired than the home trails.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Gooseberry Mesa is considered the crown jewel out there by most people because it's pretty much different than anything else in existence. Since this thread was started, Wire Mesa has been built & opened. You might want to go there first to "wet your appetite" for bigger trails to come. Guacamole is another trail that fits your criteria and some people call it "Baby Gooseberry". Zen is absolutely a great ride and one of my favorites. Many people get lost trying to make the loop and consequently don't like the trail. It's also more work than it seems it will/should be but every time I get done, I think to myself "that was soooooo much fun"!!! Don't forget to check out the JEM Trail and all it offers....basically the high speed flow trail of the area.
    Thank you very much, Guacamole was on my tentative list, now it's on my "Must Do" list, thanks!

Todd,
    I wouldn't really say that either Zen or Gooseberry are intermediate technical level trails overall. Yeah, an intermediate can survive on them, but may not have the most fun.
    Gooseberry is only about the same measured vertical, but take normal vertical and multiply by 2 for "mesa vertical" for how it feels.
    As K2 suggested, I'd head out to Wire Mesa trail for a taste of mesa riding before moving to Gooseberry or Little Creek.
    Suggested rides from your description:
    Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs loop.
    Prospector to church rocks lollipop loop from the Cottonwood trailhead.
    Any of the Santa Clara Preserve trails (except Suicidal Tendencies) Sidewinder, Barrel Roll, Precipice, Rim Runner/Rim Reaper.
    JEM (would suggest from the Sheep Bridge start area) Up JEM, Crypto, Dead Ringer, More Cowbell, down JEM, Crypto, JEM.
    Turtle Wall/Paradise Rim (not a trail that gets much attention)
    Now that I've heard from a few people that stuff out there is more difficult that other places I guess I should start taking it seriously. Same thing happened in Sedona, got my butt kicked but what look like (on paper) short-ish rides.

For Church Rocks I was thinking of this ride: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/414...rch-rocks-loop

As far as JEM goes, do you have a link to a strava ride with the specific route you recommended?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I’m no sponsored Enduro or DH pro, nor will you see me on any PinkBike shredders.

But, I’ve done Zen a handful of times, and the hardest thing about it is finding the actual trail itself at several points on the way up. There are so many (heavily trodden) spider trails leading off to nothing that it can be a pretty frustrating experience.

There are a couple of small rock drops with alternate lines to go bigger. Some rougher, rockier sections on the descent if doing it CCW.

Depending on source of info,

Thanks for the info, sounds like Zen is on the bigger side of what we want to do. Might have to play that one by ear depending on how tired we are

mtbr member
    This was a fun route on JEM

https://www.strava.com/activities/1414644878

This is a typical route for me on Prospector/Church Rocks. (feel free to play around on the slickrock on the way up into church rocks.) Does not include any of the Dino Cliffs area your MTB project link includes. Have ridden that and it's fun, but the rolling classic desert singletrack on most of prospector north of church rocks is pretty fun stuff too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1335090515

Be careful with Guacamole, it can sneak up and bite you when you least expect it.
    Super fun though in it's own way. There is also a big slickrock flat area at the trailhead that is the beginning of the trail that many times families and kids ride and play on for hours.

Bruce from utahmountainbiking.com said it well in his introduction to Zen:
    Zen Trail
    This trail is probably the most technical ride in the St. George area. It has quite a few little rock tricks that challenge the rider. I recommend it for advanced riders, or for intermediates with a good attitude and a sense of adventure. It doesn't take that long to walk your bike through a spot that spooks you. The ride has much to offer. It's much like Gooseberry Mesa, if Gooseberry were tilted onto a slope.

So, going along with what Le Duke said above, it certainly can be done by intermediate riders, but the right attitude towards knowing you are in for an adventure and likely won't be riding everything on the trail both on the up and on the down would be a big help. I have seen many unhappy faces from those riding it with different expectations.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    If you've ridden in Sedona, would you compare the vertical to that? Vertical in Sedona left me more tired than the home trails.
    fatty,
    Sedona is on my short list, but I find it hard to make it there with Moab and St George both easily within a 4 hour drive...

From everything I have seen though, Sedona and Moab are very similar in their treatment of you when on a bike, and I would put the Mesa rides and Zen right up there with many Moab area trails as far as their fatigue factor in relation to the mileage and vertical.
    Hope this helps.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    Some of the trails I rode in Sedona had long, sustained, technical climbing that had me redlining.

By comparison, rides like Gooseberry, Guacamole, and Little Creek Mesa, you drive to the top of a mesa and you stay on top of the mesa, so there are short, punchy climbs that require bursts of strength and speed, but no sustained climbing or descending, IIRC.

Most of the climbing on JEM was pretty gradual.

Zen left me gassed, but we started from the bottom of Bearclaw Poppy, so it was to be expected. But even that climb I found more reasonable than some of the climbing in Sedona.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

Formerly of Kent
    Other than Hymasa, no trail that I’ve climbed in Moab compares to the climb up Zen. Hymasa isn’t as steep, or have as much total elevation gain, either.

Ahab is a bit more technical than the descent off Zen though, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    For Church Rocks I was thinking of this ride: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/414...rch-rocks-loop

As far as JEM goes, do you have a link to a strava ride with the specific route you recommended?

Thanks!
    That's more or less what we do at Church Rocks but we start up at the lot on the West side of the 15 freeway to the North on your map.

With exception of Gooseberry Mesa (and Little Creek Mesa), nothing in the St George/Hurricane "works you over" like Sedona...at least not in my opinion. Sedona, at least on the trails we ride is pretty much relentless with the chunk and you better be paying attention. As billj mentioned, doing the main Gooseberry loop may only be 15 miles but it will feel like much more. Something to remember out there as you're following along the dots...EVERYTHING is rideable out there. Don't assume you can't make it or give up too easy. It's absolutely amazing how grippy that rock it. You'll go up stuff you never thought possible.

I don't do Strava but we start and end our JEM loop down at the trailhead in Virgin. I think it's about 15-16 miles round trip. We more or less do this https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/6359263/goosebump-loop but we add on the More Cowbell stuff at the top of JEM (bottom on the map) which is pretty much spelled out in billj's post above.
    Carpe Diem!!

Meat Clever
    Would Dead Ringer-More Cowbell be a good ride for a beginner? I've done Hymasa, Ahab, TWE, etc., and am taking my daughter, who is a beginner. If not, any other suggestions in the area. Was hoping to get some great views in. Thanks in advance.

-DD
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post
    Would Dead Ringer-More Cowbell be a good ride for a beginner? I've done Hymasa, Ahab, TWE, etc., and am taking my daughter, who is a beginner. If not, any other suggestions in the area. Was hoping to get some great views in. Thanks in advance.

-DD

I've brought beginners to More Cowbells and they loved it. Flat with big views.

Climbing up to Cowbells on Dead Ringer is a bit much for a beginner, even some low intermediates. The narrow trail on the steep side hill is visually challenging. Could hike the bike though.

Plenty for a beginner in the lower JEM system including Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, Dead Ringer, and of course JEM. Easy to make loops there.

There are some beginner trails near St George but not the big views of Zion.

Take her up to Guacamole to ride around on the slick rock at the TH. Fun and big views of the Zion cliffs.

Probably the next step up would be Wire Mesa.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy View Post

-DD
    The climb out of dead ringer is hard if you aren't used to big climbs. I know I was pushing my bike at the end. Exposure doesn't bother me. There is a lot of riding to do there and most of it is very mellow. I think there was one section I walked down on JEM(DH) but the rest was a lot fo fun and easy riding.

If you are looking for another area, try Prospector and Church Rock. Prospector is an easy XC trail and Church Rock is a little more slick rock.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well.... We specifically built more CowBELL as a beginner trail and to be a very family friendly trail. The climb up on Dead Ringer is intentionally beginner friendly with multiple grade reversals and a wide spot halfway to rest.

Go for it...have a great time and the views from more cowbell are sweet.

Meat Clever
    Thanks for the responses everyone. We'll try More Cowbell for the views. She'll make it!
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys, some great info here, thanks!

The wife and I are starting to make the plans for a trip next spring (staying in St. George) and I haven’t seen much in the way of suggestions for suspension travel. We are both on XC machines (2015 Jet 9RDO for me and a 2016 Norco Revolver (FS) for her) both bikes have droppers. Considering we would be flying in the thought of bringing our bikes or renting possibly something with a bit more travel is a valid one.

We are not AM nor enduro riders where we live our trails are not rock covered, but single track that winds through pine and hardwood forests, no real technical features like 2’ drops or benches... if that helps in the anwers.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    @osteo, it certainly is nice to have a bit more suspension in some places on some trails such as dropping down Zen but mostly you would do fine on your bikes. 120mm up front and say 110mm in the back is adequate for probably 90% of the tread you'll ride. It is a bit safer to have a little more head tube angle but it doesn't sound like you will be bombing the rocks anyway. Few trails there are AM level and I'm sure you won't be on them. Crazy stuff.

We ride trail bikes with 140mm up front and 127 in the rear with a 67.5 degree HTA and that is perfect for most riders there.

I do recommend upgrading to the 2017 or 2018 Fox Factory or Performance FIT4 forks. Fox really worked on engineering the slow bump rollover and these are far safer and more performant than Rockshox models or previous Foxes for intermediate / low advanced slower riders. I've tested this issue extensively, including on most of the trails in the Zion / St. George area. Rockshox fans get upset with my position on this subject but Rockshox did not do the engineering, at least yet.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Your bikes are fine for out there unless you want to shell out $60-90 per day, per bike to ride something from one of the shops out there. Of course you could work you trip around the Hurricane MTB Festival and then have access to a plethora of bikes for a very minimal cost. The atmosphere around the festival is pretty cool as well and there are so many trails, you'll never know there's a festival in town.

As far as the suspension advice above, it's 100% nonsense. Properly set up suspension from any manufacturer will work fine. I have a $600 2014 Rock Shox Pike on my 5010 that is a much better performing fork than my $1100 2018 Fox Factory RC2 fork.
    Carpe Diem!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Notice that kdrider never mentions his riding level or that he has done a year of testing on Utah trails or that he has spent time with Fox and Rockshox reps many times on the issue. Always shallow opinions based on perception, not data.

Formerly of Kent
    You can be inside the top couple percent on Zen on a 120/100mm bike.

Really just a rough XC trail. Not particularly steep for any length of trail.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Alright, thanks Guys - I got the jist, knowing that we will be fine on our bikes for the majority of it is perfect. Yes, spending $60-90/day and with the horrible exchange rate that is really $90-125/day x 2 will add up pretty damn quick. I did notice the Festival is around the same time we are thinking on coming down so we are considering that as well.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Notice that kdrider never mentions his riding level or that he has done a year of testing on Utah trails or that he has spent time with Fox and Rockshox reps many times on the issue. Always shallow opinions based on perception, not data.
    Perception? I actually OWN and ride both brands weekly. Can't get much more qualified than that. I'm not anti Fox as I have full Fox suspension on 2 of my 3 bikes so I think I'm qualified to know that one isn't any better than the other automatically....THAT is perception.

Not sure what level of rider I am that matters or how much I ride in Utah (maybe 10-12 days a year if that helps your argument). I'm sure the guides that work in Hurricane can vouch for my riding ability as I frequently ride with them when I'm in town. Let's put it this way, I've seen your videos, maybe we can meet up on Grafton Mesa or Flying Dog and take a spin together. I'll bring my Rock Shox equipped bike, you bring Fox!!
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Wow.... How in the f#ck am I not dead riding gooseberry. Little Creek, guacamole and St george trails on a Spider 29er with a three year old Fox 34. Oh wait......maybe its the magician and not so much the wand

To the OP... ride what you're comfortable on and don't overthink it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Wow.... How in the f#ck am I not dead riding gooseberry. Little Creek, guacamole and St george trails on a Spider 29er with a three year old Fox 34. Oh wait......maybe its the magician and not so much the wand

To the OP... ride what you're comfortable on and don't overthink it.
    Thanks! That’s the plan, ride what I know instead of adding something foreign regardless if more or less travel and fancy compliance (no offence). I didn’t mean to create a shit storm with my question!

And who knows, next year I might be on something different if my Jet 9 keeps giving me grief, although if that is the case it will likely be a Scalpel Si... although I can possibly borrow a Carbon Bad Habit! Hmm... maybe I should just bring that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Read through alot of this, hopefully not re-posting an exact question. But possibly planning a 3-4 day trip to the area, looking to ride in several different places. Would you stay at a hotel in St. George, ride there and drive to the trails over in Hurricane? Vice Versa? Stay at a hotel inbetween the two areas and go back/forth? Maps, Trailforks, etc. should be great for figuring out what to ride, but just curious on logistics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ^^^ I’ve only been there once but we stayed in St George (bike friendly AirBnB, not hotel) and think that worked best. Distances aren’t great, no traffic, and St George has a bit more dining etc than Hurricane. Plus we did one ride (Bearclaw Poppy) right from the house.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    ^^^ I’ve only been there once but we stayed in St George (bike friendly AirBnB, not hotel) and think that worked best. Distances aren’t great, no traffic, and St George has a bit more dining etc than Hurricane. Plus we did one ride (Bearclaw Poppy) right from the house.
    Cool, thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yupstate View Post
    Read through alot of this, hopefully not re-posting an exact question. But possibly planning a 3-4 day trip to the area, looking to ride in several different places. Would you stay at a hotel in St. George, ride there and drive to the trails over in Hurricane? Vice Versa? Stay at a hotel inbetween the two areas and go back/forth? Maps, Trailforks, etc. should be great for figuring out what to ride, but just curious on logistics.
    Far more to do staying in St. George than in Hurricane as far as restaurant and post riding entertainment options.
    Hurricane has much more of a "roll up the sidewalks" feel in the evening than St. George, but many accuse St. George of being the same way.

We generally stay in St. George when we go, but have also made Hurricane base as well.
    I would say if you are planning two out of the three days riding out on the mesas and one in St. George area trails, it would probably be worth staying in Hurricane.
    Sometimes hotel rates are a little lower in Hurricane, but not always.

You'll probably be totally wearing yourselves out each day with the rides anyway, so chilling at the hotel pool/hot tub is a major recovery boost.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Stay in Hurricane, it's a bit nearer to the goods and less money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Hmm, so it's sounding like the trails might be a bit more preferable in Hurricane but the town a bit more preferable in St. George. What does "roll up the sidewalks" mean? LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    No question that the trails around Hurricane are where you want to be. STG has some fun trails (Bear Claw-Stucki, Zen are great trails to fill out your trip), but they aren't destination trails like Gooseberry and Little Creek. The latter are the reasons you travel long distrances to ride the area. It's true that STG has more going for it than Hurricane (I think he meant Hurricane closes up at night, and it's not a very inviting place, which is basically true). Hurricane is a void when it comes to food. Passable is about the best to expect (the Mexican restaurants are probably the best of bunch). The hotels are generally pretty basic as well, but with that said, I would be more inclined to stay there to be closer to the trails. The Holiday Inn Express Coral Canyon is probably the nicest place "in" Hurricane (it's actually a bit south of town toward STG). From there, it would be an easy drive to STG for a bite. With that said, STG isn't exactly gushing with ambiance either, but for sure there are way more and better options in STG.

And, sorry if that makes it sound like a shitty place to go for a trip. It's not... the riding is spectactular and that's the reason you're there. Plus, I'd rather set low expectations on the lodging/food and have you be happily surprised that it's better than expected than the other way around.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Several new hotels in Hurricane and LaVerkin.

banned
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Padlz View Post
    No question that the trails around Hurricane are where you want to be. STG has some fun trails (Bear Claw-Stucki, Zen are great trails to fill out your trip), but they aren't destination trails like Gooseberry and Little Creek. The latter are the reasons you travel long distrances to ride the area. It's true that STG has more going for it than Hurricane (I think he meant Hurricane closes up at night, and it's not a very inviting place, which is basically true). Hurricane is a void when it comes to food. Passable is about the best to expect (the Mexican restaurants are probably the best of bunch). The hotels are generally pretty basic as well, but with that said, I would be more inclined to stay there to be closer to the trails. The Holiday Inn Express Coral Canyon is probably the nicest place "in" Hurricane (it's actually a bit south of town toward STG). From there, it would be an easy drive to STG for a bite. With that said, STG isn't exactly gushing with ambiance either, but for sure there are way more and better options in STG.

And, sorry if that makes it sound like a shitty place to go for a trip. It's not... the riding is spectactular and that's the reason you're there. Plus, I'd rather set low expectations on the lodging/food and have you be happily surprised that it's better than expected than the other way around.
    I agree with your observations about Hurricane. It's pretty small and there's not much going on for lodging that doesn't get sucked up by the Zion crowds. However, if you are traveling with several people, the best bet is an overnight house rental. I rented houses in Hurricane for a while and enjoyed it so much that I bought a vacation rental house there myself. If you have at least 3 couples or would otherwise rent three hotel rooms, it usually is far more economical than a hotel and it is a lot more comfortable. Plus, you usually get a garage to keep your bikes in.

Your Best Friend
    There's actually quite a bit of lodging in the Hurricane area. A new Wingate hotel was completed last year and recently another new one was finished at the top of the hill. There's also another new one under construction. That doesn't include the new LaQuinta just finished around the corner in Laverkin. So that's four new hotels in about 2 years. One of the hotels in downtown was also remodeled recently. The town is definitely making the effort to provide accommodations for tourists. Now, if only the restaurant scene would catch up.

mtbr member
    I'm late to the game but visit 3-4X a year to ride so I'll chime in. We *always* rent a house off VRBO in Hurricane (and sometime's above STTGuy's garage) but went solo in February and was actually going to rent a hotel room until I found a 1BR casita on VRBO for $59 a night. It was a steal. It was in Hurricane as well and attached to a families home there but I had my own private entrance with a 4 star room. I had a king bed, lazy boy chairs, big screen TV and a mini-kitchen to go along with a huge bathroom.

If you wait until the last minute, you can sometimes find steals at Sports Village in St George. It's a condo complex with 100+ individually owned rental units right next to the Zen Trail (best trail in StG). We scored (3) nights for $27!! Yes, $9 per night. There was a $100 cleaning fee but still, $127 for (3) nights in a 2BR condo. Probably never see that again. Sigh...

I guess I'm not a picky eater and don't need to eat like a king on MTB trips. I get by just fine for 3 days in Hurricane. hell, I could eat at the side by side Mexican food and pizza "food trailers" for 3 days. https://www.yelp.com/biz/ll-wagon-taco-hurricane Then you have Arby's and Dairy Queen within walking distance of each other as well. What more do you need for 3 days?
    Carpe Diem!!

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Yupstate View Post
    We split the difference and rented a place in Coral Canyon. We were able to ride our bikes to the Church Rocks trail network, but anything else, we were looking at a 30 to 60+ minute drive, IIRC. While we liked the trails around St. George and Church Rocks, we preferred the trails east of Hurricane, and if we were to do it again, we'd look for a place in Hurricane, to be closer to those trails.

Also, the place we stayed at in Coral Canyon wasn't close to any amenities, so that meant driving everywhere. It would have been nice to stay somewhere within walking/biking distance of a bike shop/dairy bar/grocery store/restaurants/bakery/booze.
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks everyone for all the continued input! I'm putting it allllll in the bank for decision time. Keep it coming if there's more opinions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi,
    I am planning to ride at Hurricane on 1st week of November. What is the weather condition over there?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ask in a couple weeks. Typically it's in the 60s during the day.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Trying to get a read on camping for Rampage this weekend.. We'll be coming down tomorrow, arriving around 4-6pm. Towing a ~25ft camper.

Is it worth searching for spots near the site around Virgin or is it already packed out?

Should we just head straight to St. G. Plan B was to camp around green valley, near Zen, Bearclaw etc.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was just in Utah all last week. I did not ride MTB in the StG area, but I did ride through the area on the moto.
    They have been getting thunderstorms passing through the area... with areas of heavy rain. It was also unseasonably cold. The good news is that this seems to have passed with warmer, sunny weather this week.
    Just be-careful on dirt roads as there may be areas of wash-outs and residual mud, etc.
    I drove by the Apple Valley (Hwy 59) entry to Gooseberry. That road can get pretty muddy... but it appeared that they have done some work to improve that situation. I only went by at 80 mph and glanced, but it looked perhaps like they had laid down some gravel.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

Your Best Friend
    Everything is dry. The best camping for a trailer that size is along Sheep Bridge Road near the Hurricane Cliffs/JEM trails.

mtbr member
    Our family, including our 11 year old, rode Gooseberry on Thursday. That 's a mighty fine trail y'all got down there. We had a blast, and got thoroughly worked. Hit the practice trail, yellow trail and the North and South rims.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by watermonkey View Post
    Our family, including our 11 year old, rode Gooseberry on Thursday. That 's a mighty fine trail y'all got down there. We had a blast, and got thoroughly worked. Hit the practice trail, yellow trail and the North and South rims.
    Glad you had fun. I love my backyard.

mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

One of these trips I will hook up with you and ride. This is from turkey week. with a great old friend that old friend and friends Sodog liked wire Mesa and upper and lower undisclosed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Damn. Well, next time. It was chilly for sure, colder than usual, but still blue skies and dry trails.

mtbr member
    It rained early this week, and quite thoroughly I hear.

Jem area is still soft according to local shops. They recommend staying away a few more days until it firms up.

Gooseberry Road is starting to become drivable, with some soft spots to be cautious of. Back around Tuesday it was a bog.

The trails over near Santa Clara - Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Precipice and so on - were excellent this morning. Dry, well packed, and great traction end to end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Guacamole vs Little Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15 View Post
    Let's get with the program here people. There is a need for a sticky thread with good detailed info on planning a trip to SW Utah. Every week there is a new thread about what to ride, when to ride, what to expect and where to eat/sleep. With some help I'd like to get one together that will help declutter the Utah board with more important stuff like the Humdinger endurance Race. Of course my opinion might not be like everybody elses but some feed back from everybody would be a great idea so I can edit this down to a few solid posts.

First order of business is there is a website that is a huge chunk of detailed info that can be extremely helpful in planning a trip out here and it is http://utahmountainbiking.com There are pictues, descriptions, gps files, and maps to help pick and choose what to ride. Even better is to stop by the local bike shops and get maps and ask around

Hurricane Area:
    Over the Edge
    http://otesports.com/shops/hurricane/

Springdale/Zion Area(grafton):
    Zion Cycles
    http://zioncycles.com/

St. George Area:
    Red Rock bicycles
    http://redrockbicycle.com/
    Bikes Unlimited:
    Bicycles Unlimited: St. George Bike Shop | Bike Sales, Rentals, & Repairs

After hours there are some bike essential (tubes, patches, etc) vending machines. one even at the chevron below Gooseberry
    Nevada/Idaho/Utah/Colorado Locations

Local Guides and Biking Services:

Utah Mountain biking adventures

Mountain bike buddies

1. First question that is asked the most is "what to ride."
    The trails in this Corner of the state can be broken down into two different areas, Hurricane riding and St. George riding. For the most part the two towns can be as close as 20 minutes to around and hour to get from one town to another depending on where you are coming from. So I would plan trails down to riding in one area at a time. Ride Hurricane for a day or two and then ride STG and vise versa. The Trails I would suggest are in my mind how I would do it. Not counting beginner or advanced in this list but more as an all around most riders best choice options.

Hurricane area:

-Gooseberry mesa: Technical Slickrock riding and is a must do.

-Little Creek Mesa: More great slickrock riding but tough to navigate and not well marked yet so not for people that can get turned around easily.

-Jem/Hurricane Rim/Goulds loop: Can be broken into shorter parts/loops or done as a large loop but is great and is mostly buff singletrack

-Guacamole: Similar to Gooseberry riding but a mini/shorter version of it.

-Grafton Mesa: Technical Chunky Singletrack. Appeals more to the all mountain/DH bike type of riding. Best done shuttled

-Babylon/Little Purgatory: The trail is actually in Leeds but is in between the 2 towns. Technical singltrack with some climbing and some good descending. Not for beginners

St. George Riding.

-Zen Trail: Technical Singletrack with a good amount of climbing and descending. More for intermediate and advanced riders. Must do trail. loop

-Barrel Ride: right next door to Zen and is very similar riding. More technical but does have several jumps/drops, most have alt lines/ride arounds. loop

-Green valley loop/Bear claw Poppy/Stucki Springs: Classic mountain bike trail that can be done several different ways from. All different riders from beginner to advanced. 99% dirt singletrack with short ups and downs similar to a rollercoaster.

-Icehouse/Broken Mesa: Longer loop options or shuttled. Technical singletrack from buff to chunky and technical. Mostly gradual climb and descent but has a steep final descent off mesa that would be difficult for begenners. Like Jem trail but with more vertical feet lost.

-Santa Clara river Preserve Trails:
    Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Rim rocks, Anazasi trail: Great XC style singletrack. Lots of loop options. All levels of riding. Trail is dirt/rock

-Church rocks/Prospector trail/Dino cliffs: Moab style riding on Red slickrock and singletrack. Great for all riders. short and longer loops. XC and technical riding.

-Paradise Canyon/turtle wall/chuckawalla: More Moab style Red rock riding. Mostly singletrack but does have small areas of slickrock and technical riding. Great for all levels and in town riding. Has some advanced/short drops in areas.

Here is more info for the Hurricane/Springdale area: (Thanks STT Guy)

Dining Options

Zion National Park

The Zion Park Lodge ($$-$$$) Breakfast, Lunch Dinner – Good food and reasonable prices. Located in the heart of Zion Canyon..We recommend lunch on the deck….the veiws are spectacular. Between April 1 and Oct 15 you will have to ride the Zion Park Shuttle to get to the lodge, it’s easy and it’s free.

Springdale

Oscars ($$). – (our personal favorite!) Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner - Eclectic Mexican inspired dishes and the absolute BEST burgers and sandwiches in the area. The Mahi-Mahi fish tacos are my personal favorite and the ribs are excellent. Plenty of vegetarian options as well.

Flying Monkey Pizza and Pasta ($$) open at 11AM every day - Great Pizza and pasta dishes. Good selection of appetizers and sandwiches.

Pizza Noodle ($$1/2) open at 4pm daily – Excellent pizza, pasta dishes and good grinders.

Wildcat Willies ($$$) Steaks, chicken and American fare. Excellent ribs and steaks. Full liquor bar.

Whip-tail Grill ($$) Small café with varying eclectic menu items. Vegitarian options.

Jacks ($$) sports bar and pub but great food as well. State Liquor Store is adjacent.

The Switchback ($$$ - $$$$) steaks, chops, seafood. Classic American fare.

Spotted Dog ($$$) Rather eclectic menu selection prepared and presented a bit upscale.

Parallel 88 ($$$$) Excellent local chef creates some very tasty dishes. Good wine list as well.

Bit and Spur ($$$) Local watering hole bar as well as good Mexican influenced fare. Full liquor bar.

Hurricane

Main Street Café ($$) – Breakfast and Lunch Only– Great breakfast and lunch and a local favorite.

Ted and Allens ($$) Lunch and Dinner – Sports pub atmosphere with good sandwiches and a variety of menu choices including salads and daily specials.

Durangos Mexican ($$) Lunch and Dinner – Yummy mexican food served fast. Great value and good for to-go dishes as well.

Papa Murphy’s Pizza ($) – They make it, you take it home and bake it. Hard to beat this pizza value.

Little Caesars ($) - Pizza-Pizza J

Groceries & Supplies

Farmers Market & Gas Station in La Verkin, is a nice full service grocery store with a good selection of meats and fresh vegetables - Take State Route 9 right into LaVerkin and the Farmers Market is on the SW corner..

Sporting Goods

Ace Hardware and Sporting Goods – Located in Hurricane, these are good folks and have a great selection and very fair prices. Fishing licenses can be purchased here as can tackle, shooting supplies, camping supplies, etc..

Gas & Diesel

Farmers Market – is the closest. Gas is also available is Springdale but is 30 to 40 cents more per gallon.

Area Attractions & national parks..

Zion National Park – Turn right out of our driveway and then left on State Route 9…in 16 miles you’re there!

Grand Canyon North Rim – Turn right on State Route 9. Follow SR 9 back into Hurricane and take a left on State Route 89 and follow the signs to 89A and the North Rim.

Bryce Canyon national Park – Take SR9 right to the Chevron. Go right at the light and follow the road back out to I-15. Take I-15 North through Cedar City and follow the signs to Bryce Canyon National Park.

Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park – Beautiful sand dunes created from red Navajo sandstone. Ask us for directions.

Snow Canyon State Park – Area of beautiful white rock formations and home of many movie sets. Several good areas for novice rock climbers with pre-bolted routes. Also a paved bike path that extends for several miles.

Sand Hollow Lake and State Park – Nice fishing lake (bluegill and bass) and a large OHV area accessing the sand dunes. If you are an ATV’er this is your kind of park. Miles and miles of sand dunes and slickrock areas provide hours of enjoyment.

Fishing

Quail Hollow Reservoir – Good trout fishing and it is accessible from shore. Kolob Reservoir – Trophy trout lake… they’re kinda’ picky!!
    Sand Hollow – Crappie, Bluegill and Small Mouth bass

Fishing licenses can be purchased at ACE Hardware on SR 9 in Hurricane. Hours” M-Sat 8AM – 8PM

This is a good start for now
    Coming to area to ride in early March. Have enough time to hit either Guac or Little Creek, but not both. One better than the other? Plan to ride a couple days in St George, Hurricane Valley, and Goose of course as well.
    Ride On!

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Coming to area to ride in early March. Have enough time to hit either Guac or Little Creek, but not both. One better than the other? Plan to ride a couple days in St George, Hurricane Valley, and Goose of course as well.
    I preferred Guacamole over Little Creek. Route finding was a bit easier and I preferred the scenery at the former over the latter, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Keep in mind that the Guacamole access road can be treacherous when wet. I don't know about the Little Creek access road.

mtbr member
    Gooseberry access road, too. This is a pic that Winder Towing posted after the last rainstorm. The clay on the mesas turns into epic mud. The South Utah Trails Facebook page is looking like a few spots are still damp, but are largely good. Check in with the local shops before you head out.

Santa Clara has some excellent trails like Zen, just be aware that the tech level is rather high. Lots of broken rock sections to challenge or hike, but often a good alternative if other areas are nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I preferred Guacamole over Little Creek. Route finding was a bit easier and I preferred the scenery at the former over the later, but you can't go wrong with either.

Keep in mind that the Guacamole access road can be treacherous when wet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I preferred Guacamole over Little Creek. Route finding was a bit easier and I preferred the scenery at the former over the latter, but you really can't go wrong with either.

Keep in mind that the Guacamole access road can be treacherous when wet. I don't know about the Little Creek access road.
    Thanks Ray! I rode Guac last year (first time since 2009) and was stoked on the added outer loop with some fun techy sections and good primer before rallying the Goose.

We usually hit SG area first (Zen, Barrel/Roll, Suicidal), may do a full Grit lap the 2nd day, JEM/Rim loop, Guacamole, and at least 2 full days on Goose to finish. Haven’t ridden Grafton since 09’ as well that may check while on Goose as well. Obviously, if roads bad, staying lower (Quail, Church, etc)
    Ride On!

trail gnome
    Thanks Ray! I rode Guac last year (first time since 2009) and was stoked on the added outer loop with some fun techy sections and good primer before rallying the Goose.
    That was my favorite part too. I found the trail got more interesting the farther away I got from the trailhead.

I get photos from the Over the Edge shop rides at Little Creek Mesa on my Facebook feed, and there are definitely some fun technical lines at Little Creek -- if you know where to find them. If you decide to ride Little Creek, I recommend you hook up with the shop ride or a local guide if you can so you don't miss out on the fun stuff.

mtbr member
    I ride Guacamole on day one every trip but I also think that Little Creek is a "better" trail. So much variety of terrain and more "epic" in nature. Also takes more out of you if you ride the whole thing. As said by many, you can't go wrong with either. I'd skip the Hurricane Rim ride for pretty much any other trail out there. If I lived out there, I'd do it once a month for the workout but as far as being a visitor.....never.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    I ride Guacamole on day one every trip but I also think that Little Creek is a "better" trail. So much variety of terrain and more "epic" in nature. Also takes more out of you if you ride the whole thing. As said by many, you can't go wrong with either. I'd skip the Hurricane Rim ride for pretty much any other trail out there. If I lived out there, I'd do it once a month for the workout but as far as being a visitor.....never.
    Thanks K2!

Yeah, buddy who is a bit more XC than me loves the Rim loop as a nice break from the rocks and more techy stuff. I don’t mind it as well, since can cover a lot of ground on that in relatively short period and full loop of course. We usually camp right off a section of JEM before the rim and finish right back to camp, so is nice. May pass on it for Little Creek especially if doing big True Grit lap the day before. Try to see if any LBS plan to ride LC, since spending most your time trying to route most the whole ride is no fun.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks K2!

Yeah, buddy who is a bit more XC than me loves the Rim loop as a nice break from the rocks and more techy stuff. I don’t mind it as well, since can cover a lot of ground on that in relatively short period and full loop of course. We usually camp right off a section of JEM before the rim and finish right back to camp, so is nice. May pass on it for Little Creek especially if doing big True Grit lap the day before. Try to see if any LBS plan to ride LC, since spending most your time trying to route most the whole ride is no fun.
    If you call Quentin at Over the Edge, they'll let you even request the Saturday shop ride. They go out every Saturday at 10 am.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    If you call Quentin at Over the Edge, they'll let you even request the Saturday shop ride. They go out every Saturday at 10 am.
    Thanks man, great info!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks K2!
    Try to see if any LBS plan to ride LC, since spending most your time trying to route most the whole ride is no fun.
    There is really only one slickrock section where route finding is an issue. The rest of the trail is very similar to Gander and Windmill areas of Gooseberry, to me.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    There is really only one slickrock section where route finding is an issue. The rest of the trail is very similar to Gander and Windmill areas of Gooseberry, to me.
    Good to know, thanks!
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I love Guacamole but I think I like Little Creek even better. Like K2 said, if you can hook up with Q at OTE for the shop ride you'll see a bunch of extra credit lines that you might miss if you go on your own. It's not hard talking Q into heading to Little Creek. OTOH exploring on your own and finding alternate line is what Goose and Little Creek and Guac are all about. Also like billj said navigation really isn't that hard out at Little Creek,, especially if you have the mtbproject or Trailforks apps on your phone. You would need to plan more time for LC than Guac though.

Definitely hit Grafton if you like a little more tech challenge. Probably my favorite trail in the area. You can either loop it from the bottom up Cry Baby hill with a Wire Mesa loop thrown in for more miles, then use Undisclosed to finish the climb up.... or if you have multiple vehicles and can shuttle, Riding from the Windmill on Goose to Gander to Grafton would be a fun option as well. Be aware there is a short steep hike-a-bike up out of the wash at the end of Gander, but it's partially rideable and only like 1/4 mile long.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I love Guacamole but I think I like Little Creek even better. Like K2 said, if you can hook up with Q at OTE for the shop ride you'll see a bunch of extra credit lines that you might miss if you go on your own. It's not hard talking Q into heading to Little Creek. OTOH exploring on your own and finding alternate line is what Goose and Little Creek and Guac are all about. Also like billj said navigation really isn't that hard out at Little Creek,, especially if you have the mtbproject or Trailforks apps on your phone. You would need to plan more time for LC than Guac though.

Definitely hit Grafton if you like a little more tech challenge. Probably my favorite trail in the area. You can either loop it from the bottom up Cry Baby hill with a Wire Mesa loop thrown in for more miles, then use Undisclosed to finish the climb up.... or if you have multiple vehicles and can shuttle, Riding from the Windmill on Goose to Gander to Grafton would be a fun option as well. Be aware there is a short steep hike-a-bike up out of the wash at the end of Gander, but it's partially rideable and only like 1/4 mile long.
    The hike a bike out of Grafton wash (technically not part of the Gander trail) is easily the biggest buzzkill on any trail in the area. There isn't a single mountain biker in the world who lives closer to it than I do, and I try to never do it. It is so much better to just ride the dirt road around the wash.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    It is so much better to just ride the dirt road around the wash.

I didn’t know about that option. I don’t mind pushing my bike a bit to get to some goods (I happily push my bike up to the top of Dig It pretty much every time I ride Grafton. I also pushed my bike up a 1000 ft mini peak just this morning so I could ride down because the normal rideable climbing trail is snowed under) but if there’s an easier way I’d probably take it.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    I didn’t know about that option. I don’t mind pushing my bike a bit to get to some goods (I happily push my bike up to the top of Dig It pretty much every time I ride Grafton. I also pushed my bike up a 1000 ft mini peak just this morning so I could ride down because the normal rideable climbing trail is snowed under) but if there’s an easier way I’d probably take it.

Yeah, sometimes it's necessary and worth it. This trail? Not so much. I've looked into rerouting it but I have other trails I'm working on. Unfortunately it's snowing right now.

mtbr member

Thanks KRob. Sounds I need to finally give LC a go afterall, especially after passing on it each time there over past 12 years (5 trips).

I haven’t ridden Grafton in sometime and loved it and really want to make sure to hit that as well while camping up on the mesa. Last time we shuttle it with tour ride from “Wild Bill” if Rockville and was pretty stoked on it, especially Dig It and Pioneer DH trail. If riding again likely stay up on Graftom Mesa and loop the trails with doubletrack climbs in between. I love descending the goods, but shuttling is too much of a pain in the ass most times me.

Cheers,
    Jon
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Unfortunately it's snowing right now.

Yikes. Supposed to rain (and even snow one day) pretty much all week in Hurricane I saw. It’s going to quit being a desert down there if it keeps this up. Maybe I’ll head to Vegas next weekend.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks KRob. Sounds I need to finally give LC a go afterall, especially after passing on it each time there over past 12 years (5 trips).

I haven’t ridden Grafton in some time. If riding again likely stay up on Graftom Mesa and loop the trails with doubletrack climbs in between. I love descending the goods, but shuttling is too much of a pain in the ass most times me.

Cheers,
    Jon
    True. Self shuttles take a lot of time and coordination plus always leave at least one person out. There are some Loop / Trail options up on Grafton that might be new since you were there too.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Riding the trails on top of Grafton is one of my favorite things to do. Especially right from my front door. Quite a mix of challenges and single track. Make sure to include upper and lower undisclosed and a loop of wire mesa. All easily done without a shuttle.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Gooseberry conditions weekend of 3-29? I imagine that the road is in decent shape? Any info appreciated!

mtbr member
    A little late, but other people will see this so....

Gooseberry road has some pretty wicked ruts as of yesterday. High clearance (at least Subaru Outback height or better) would be recommended. It was bouncing my Tundra pretty good in spots. The road is dry, though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clintj View Post
    A little late, but other people will see this so....

Gooseberry road has some pretty wicked ruts as of yesterday. High clearance (at least Subaru Outback height or better) would be recommended. It was bouncing my Tundra pretty good in spots. The road is dry, though.

Will my silverado 2wd do ok?
    Im going this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    Will my silverado 2wd do ok?
    Im going this week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Check with Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane right before you head down, I haven't been keeping a close eye on the weather down there since last week for rain. If the road is dry, you'll be fine in that truck unless you've got it lowered. You don't need 4WD to get up there, just ground clearance if you end up in the ruts.

mtbr member
    Seeing reports from the FB trail conditions group that the greater St George area got absolutely hammered with heavy rain today. JEM, the Mesas (Gooseberry, Guac, Wire), etc are rained out until further notice, and the roads up to those mesas will be impassible.

Your Best Friend
    Getting the word out because we are seeing them more and more and they never take kindly to being corrected.

Ebikes are not legal on any single track in this area. Just don't bring them. It's a $600 ticket and locals will turn you in.

No need to argue or start a discussion. They aren't allowed.

e=mtb2
    Are “No E-bike” signs posted at trailheads so folks who don’t frequent MTBR, i.e., the majority of mountain bikers, will see them? Locals are likely aware of the rules, but visitors may not be.
    "Every tire size, casing, tread, and pressure is a compromise." mikesee

Your Best Friend
    The local BLM only posts what is allowed, not what isn't. It's frustrating and we are trying to get them to put up signs but it's all about money. The responsibility is on the user to know where they can and cannot ride. A quick Google answers that question.

mtbr member
    Getting the word out because we are seeing them more and more and they never take kindly to being corrected.

Ebikes are not legal on any single track in this area. Just don't bring them. It's a $600 ticket and locals will turn you in.

No need to argue or start a discussion. They aren't allowed.

Saw a dude on an Ebike on Little Creek today. I didn't feel like getting into it with him in front of presumably his wife and son (not on ebikes). Lame. He was dinging his bell as they struggled to keep up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.