St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    i would stick to jem and hurricane rim. dead ringer and more cowbell suck
    Come on now...the "average, every day rider" and those that lean XC/Trail like those trails a great deal. Remember, not everybody wants to be famous on PinkBike For example, I go out there 2-3 times per year and almost every trip has first timers that get overwhelmed somewhere (it was the Zen Trail on day one after a 6 hour drive last year). A couple of them actually had the most fun at Church Rocks of all places so as you can see, different strokes for different folks.

I can honestly say I've never ridden anything in Southern Utah that I thought "sucked" (other than Ice House) and I know you're not a fan of the Boy Scout Trails which I absolutely LOVE. I'll let you keep Flying Monkey all for yourself though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yeah i can see getting overwhelmed on zen but i'm just saying there is more mileage on hurricane rim and it's actually quite scenic compared to more cowbell and dead ringer. it hooks right into jem. yeah ice house and broken mesa isn't even a trail anymore haha.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    yeah i can see getting overwhelmed on zen but i'm just saying there is more mileage on hurricane rim and it's actually quite scenic compared to more cowbell and dead ringer. it hooks right into jem. yeah ice house and broken mesa isn't even a trail anymore haha.
    Well, you've got to climb to get to the top somehow, so why not do the climb on Dead Ringer? Beats fire road climbing any day of the week.

The views off of Cowbell - not the trail itself - is what make it a must do fun ride. Ditto for Guacamole, Little Creek, and Gooseberry.

One must not leave for home without doing all of those! I insist...

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    We've been working on skills on the Guac the past couple of days. Such a great trail for that! Today we'll head up to the Goose and play in Hidden Canyon.

Tomorrow, Friday, starts the Hurricane MTB Festival! Love bike festivals!

Weather is perfect during the day now. A bit chilly at night.

My wife loves More Cowbells. Big views and relaxing after the climb. I don't care how I get from the top of Dead Ringer to JEM.

Not much body damage so far...

:-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Cactus Cuddler
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Well, you've got to climb to get to the top somehow, so why not do the climb on Dead Ringer? Beats fire road climbing any day of the week.
    The views off of Cowbell - not the trail itself - is what make it a must do fun ride. Ditto for Guacamole, Little Creek, and Gooseberry.
    This. Without question. For bonus points, sunset on the mesa is a really fantastic view to experience if visiting.

chupicocconut
    Three buddies and I are heading to Moab from California this weekend... Going to stop and ride in Hurricane on Thursday. We are fairly skilled riders & are on 140mm or more 29ers, & only have one day...... What do you guys recommend?

Read back a few pages, sorry if his question was already asked/ answered.

mtbr member
    Gooseberry Mesa, no doubt.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    tangrip9, yeah, this thread is getting long :-)

I'm leaving San Jose tomorrow, Wed, for Moab for a couple of weeks including Outerbike this weekend. I'm spoiled. I spent a week around Hurricane two weeks ago.

So you want The Best trail system for advanced riders. That would be Gooseberry Mesa South Rim to Hidden Canyon. If no one is seriously wounded then when you come out on White Road from HC then turn left and ride out to the point for amazing views.

There is a bit of a sand trap to hike through on the road.

If you still have excess energy then take North Rim and Gooseberry Mesa trails back to the TH.

For a relaxing afternoon ride then the JEM trail system will give you a very easy climb and some nice flow. By CA standards the climb up the Dead Ringer is barely a climb but at least it is single track.

OR, If you want more HC kind of rocks then head just past Virgin to Dalton Wash Road and ride The Guac, Guacamole Trail.

That will keep you busy for a day, or more.

I may be riding the area this Thursday morning before the 5 hour drive to Moab. Not sure where though. Maybe Little Creek Mesa to try to figure out where the trail is, again.

Look for a green Aerostar van with a turquoise Yeti in it. I'm 64 and overweight with glasses. I'm sure you guys ride faster than me.

Jim
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

chupicocconut
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post

I'm leaving San Jose tomorrow, Wed, for Moab for a couple of weeks including Outerbike this weekend. I'm spoiled. I spent a week around Hurricane two weeks ago.

So you want The Best trail system for advanced riders. That would be Gooseberry Mesa South Rim to Hidden Canyon. If no one is seriously wounded then when you come out on White Road from HC then turn left and ride out to the point for amazing views.

If you still have excess energy then take North Rim and Gooseberry Mesa trails back to the TH.

For a relaxing afternoon ride then the JEM trail system will give you a very easy climb and some nice flow. By CA standards the climb up the Dead Ringer is barely a climb but at least it is single track.

OR, If you want more HC kind of rocks then head just past Virgin to Dalton Wash Road and ride The Guac, Guacamole Trail.

That will keep you busy for a day, or more.

I may be riding the area this Thursday morning before the 5 hour drive to Moab. Not sure where though. Maybe Little Creek Mesa to try to figure out where the trail is, again.

Look for a green Aerostar van with a turquoise Yeti in it. I'm 64 and overweight with glasses. I'm sure you guys ride faster than me.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,

we too are going to Outerbike and don't want to cut the weekend short with an injury before we even get there. Sounds like moderate climbing and some flow is the way to go, I think JEM will be up our alley. We may ride here again on the way back thru on Monday and could hit Gooseberry then...

Thanks for the info, i'll look for you in Moab, would be glad to buy you a beer.

There will be 4 of us in a white f150 and I ride a blue Evil Wreckoning, see you there!.

Darren

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Darren,

Have you been to OuterBike before? They just released this video to get us pumped.

I'm in the orange pullover in the second row at the beginning and in a Pivot shirt behind the foot-down competition at the Jensen tent.

I'm only doing the social pass this time. I rode a bunch of demo bikes at the Hurricane Festival two weeks ago.

There'll be about 90 white crew cab F150's in Moab this weekend.

I usually stay at Moab Valley RV Resort but prices for tent sites and cabins are almost 2X of normal. A $25 tent site is now $41. A $63 cabin is now $91. I'll camp in my van on the mesas until prices come down in town.

Criptobionic, Goose Bumps, and JEM trails will keep you busy for maybe 3 hours max. Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane recommends starting at the highway TH but I think it is far better to drive down Sheep Bridge Road from Hwy 59 until you see a street sign, the only street sign on the road, that says something like Virgin River Dam.

Park on your right in the plain dirt area and ride up a side road a few feet then start up Criptobionic. After the cattle guard then right on Goose Bumps to a left on Dead Ringer. Climb this part of Dead Ringer up to More Cowbells, then left on Cowbells to the top of JEM.

I usually avoid beginner trails like Cowbells but the views are fantastic!

Drop JEM past the other trails and cross Sheep Bridge Road. Stay on JEM until you get to a major dirt road and you will see your vehicle off to the right.

This gets you the most flow for the climb.

chupicocconut
    Darren,

Have you been to OuterBike before? They just released this video to get us pumped.

I'm in the orange pullover in the second row at the beginning and in a Pivot shirt behind the foot-down competition at the Jensen tent.

I'm only doing the social pass this time. I rode a bunch of demo bikes at the Hurricane Festival two weeks ago.

There'll be about 90 white crew cab F150's in Moab this weekend.

I usually stay at Moab Valley RV Resort but prices for tent sites and cabins are almost 2X of normal. A $25 tent site is now $41. A $63 cabin is now $91. I'll camp in my van on the mesas until prices come down in town.

Criptobionic, Goose Bumps, and JEM trails will keep you busy for maybe 3 hours max. Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane recommends starting at the highway TH but I think it is far better to drive down Sheep Bridge Road from Hwy 59 until you see a street sign, the only street sign on the road, that says something like Virgin River Dam.

Park on your right in the plain dirt area and ride up a side road a few feet then start up Criptobionic. After the cattle guard then right on Goose Bumps to a left on Dead Ringer. Climb this part of Dead Ringer up to More Cowbells, then left on Cowbells to the top of JEM.

I usually avoid beginner trails like Cowbells but the views are fantastic!

Drop JEM past the other trails and cross Sheep Bridge Road. Stay on JEM until you get to a major dirt road and you will see your vehicle off to the right.

This gets you the most flow for the climb.
    Kick ASS! yeah we will take your advice on where to park and start.

I have never been to Outerbike but I have been to Moab to ride 3 other times. My buddies have never been, gonna be a blast.

I chose the full demo but I most likely will pass until later each day when the rush dies down..... I feel like I have a bike that is pretty good for the terrain. St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner-20160320_155232_resized.jpg
    There is a safe bike check offered right?

mtbr member

Jim
    I'd just add that if you're feeling spry at this point, turn RIGHT on the road, go about a hundred yards, then LEFT on Singletrack, and LEFT again when it forks in hundred feet or so. This will give you more singletrack and there is the "yellow" trail to bypass the sandpit on the road out to the point. If you're still feeling strong, take the south rim from the point BACK to hidden canyon, do HC again, then RIGHT on the road to the previous singletrack but then take the right fork just after the road. This will cover most of the classic Gooseberry. You'll end up doing a figure 8.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Getting in line early, about 7 AM, is a blast! That rush to get in line for the best bikes is FUN! That is where you meet the folks you will chat with on the trails and you'll drink with later in the day. Very social and interesting. There will be coffee available but better to bring your own.

It is difficult to get great bikes later in the day but not impossible. Not everyone takes their bikes on the shuttles. Those who ride the Brand Trails cycle through several bikes a day.

I've been riding the Moab trails since about 2003. We go every year for 2 - 4 weeks but I'm ramping that up to 6 weeks a year in Moab, Hurricane, and a little Fruita / Grand Junction.

They have a bike check service. Some folks ride up from town or from a distant parking lot across the highway. This event is smaller than the October event so I'm not sure parking will be so limited near the site.

I have trail videos on Intermediate Mountain Biking | Bike and Trails Analyses for Intermediate Riders for Moab and Hurricane. Both are in process of being updated and improved.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    johnyspoke, I meet such guys as you on the Goose. Two trips through Hidden Canyon, 15 miles of riding that gnar. They usually live nearby and know every line so that reduces fatigue. Wish I could get to that level.

chupicocconut
    Awesome JMPreston, thank you for all of the info, I appreciate it.

Formerly of Kent
    To be honest, I think you're going to be way, way, way over biked riding a Wreckoning out on the JEM, GB, Crypto, etc. Those can be ridden on a CX bike. I'm still a segment record holder for a portion of the JEM on a 29er HT. FWIW, I'm a full time FS rider, but that's HT country.

Gooseberry and Guac aren't super technical or rough, either.

If you're riding the unsanctioned trails north of Smithsonian Butte, or Flying Monkey north of the river, or some of the rougher stuff in/near St. George, yeah, the Wreckoning would be a decent bike.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    johnyspoke, I meet such guys as you on the Goose. Two trips through Hidden Canyon, 15 miles of riding that gnar. They usually live nearby and know every line so that reduces fatigue. Wish I could get to that level.

I'm not a local though I usually spend several days per year camping on the mesa. Not a great rider either, but don't mind spending the better part of the day on some combination of Gooseberry goodness
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    To be honest, I think you're going to be way, way, way over biked riding a Wreckoning out on the JEM, GB, Crypto, etc. Those can be ridden on a CX bike. I'm still a segment record holder for a portion of the JEM on a 29er HT. FWIW, I'm a full time FS rider, but that's HT country.

Gooseberry and Guac aren't super technical or rough, either.

If you're riding the unsanctioned trails north of Smithsonian Butte, or Flying Monkey north of the river, or some of the rougher stuff in/near St. George, yeah, the Wreckoning would be a decent bike.
    Aside from maybe trying to ride a 35-40 lb DH bike on anything but a DH trail, there's pretty much no so thing as being "over biked" in my opinion. It's all a matter of comfort level as 99.9% of all riders don't even aspire to be a "segment record holder" or even keep track of such nonsense for the that matter. I've ridden everything from my 4" travel Tallboy to my 6" travel Mach 6 on every trail in SW Utah and had a blast on them all. With the weight of todays AM bikes, there's no reason not to ride them everywhere and enjoy the comfort of all that plush suspension travel. I have ZERO desire to ride a HT on any trail unless I have no other option.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm with k2 on this one tangrip9, the Wreckoning will be fine. You certainly don't NEED a 140mm 29er to ride any of that stuff (or most of the stuff in Moab either for that matter) and a HT might be faster but today's carbon Trail/am bikes are dang light and efficient pedalers. I tnink the Wreckoning would be a great one bike tool for a southern Utah trip. It'll be OK on JEM/Dead Ringer/Goose/Guac and it will totally destroy rough descents like Ahab, Jackson's and Portal in Moab.

I'm also with k2 in the "Dead Ringer is a hoot" camp. I'd much rather descend Dead Ringer than JEM. The upper part is like a 3 mile pump track.....except it's actually downhill (more so than JEM).

Oh, and for those heading to Hurricane this week, I think it snowed pretty good there on Monday and/or Tuesday. Best check with the shop (OTE) before heading up the Mesas.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Aside from maybe trying to ride a 35-40 lb DH bike on anything but a DH trail, there's pretty much no so thing as being "over biked" in my opinion. It's all a matter of comfort level as 99.9% of all riders don't even aspire to be a "segment record holder" or even keep track of such nonsense for the that matter. I've ridden everything from my 4" travel Tallboy to my 6" travel Mach 6 on every trail in SW Utah and had a blast on them all. With the weight of todays AM bikes, there's no reason not to ride them everywhere and enjoy the comfort of all that plush suspension travel. I have ZERO desire to ride a HT on any trail unless I have no other option.
    If you want to ride a 6" bike with DH tires on a CX trail, by all means, proceed. Not my bag, personally.

If he has another wheelset or can swap tires, that might make the ride a bit more fun. Otherwise, you're losing a considerable amount of speed on what are fast, relatively flat, non-technical trails.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Traveling from CA or even SLC, I would not bring a second bike on my way to Moab just to ride in the JEM trail system.
    6" trail bike does and will work great there, even if it's 7.35 seconds slower on some of the sections known to be a little long and peddaly.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Traveling from CA or even SLC, I would not bring a second bike on my way to Moab just to ride in the JEM trail system.
    6" trail bike does and will work great there, even if it's 7.35 seconds slower on some of the sections known to be a little long and peddaly.
    Probably closer to minutes, not seconds, but, point taken. To each his/her own.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Didn't read all this but I gotta say that upper Dead Ringer is the Crack Cocaine of MTB trails. I rate trails by how much they make me laugh out loud😅
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I rate trails by how much they make me laugh out loud😅
    Good for you. I feel the same way and rate trails based on FUN factor. If I get done with a ride and say to myself or others "Wow, that was bad-ass. I can't wait to do that again", that trail is getting 5 stars from me. It doesn't matter if it was an "epic" or was just a lower intermediate trail, it's all about the fun factor.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Oh, and for those heading to Hurricane this week, I think it snowed pretty good there on Monday and/or Tuesday. Best check with the shop (OTE) before heading up the Mesas.
    I would guess (hope?) that the Mesa itself will be fine by the weekend . . . it's pretty warm during the day right now, and the slick rock usually just sheds water. The road, however, might be a very different story. I really hope its okay, cuz' we're heading up on Friday!
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    A few friends and I are headed to St George next weekend. The plan is to ride Gooseberry on Friday and then St George on Saturday with a quick hit Sunday morning before heading back to San Diego.

Are we right to assume Gooseberry can be an all day outing or should we consider adding on to it?

St George is still up n the air about where to ride. I am thinking The Zen trail or Suicidal Tendencies. If we set moderate pace are both doable in a day?
    What should we consider for Sunday morning?

Any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    I like to add on JEM/Dead Ringer after a day on the goose. Mellow flowy fun but not too taxing and it's right close. Gooseberry Mesa can be a full day ride if you hit every trail and stop to session every little alternate line etc, but 2-4 hours is usually plenty.

Suicidal Tendencies and Zen are both great and not too long and both doable on the same day.

A Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs loop might be a good option for your last morning quickie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    A few friends and I are headed to St George next weekend. The plan is to ride Gooseberry on Friday and then St George on Saturday with a quick hit Sunday morning before heading back to San Diego.

Are we right to assume Gooseberry can be an all day outing or should we consider adding on to it?

St George is still up n the air about where to ride. I am thinking The Zen trail or Suicidal Tendencies. If we set moderate pace are both doable in a day?
    What should we consider for Sunday morning?

Any other recommendations?
    I agree with KRob...depending on the group size and dynamic, Gooseberry Mesa *generally* takes up to 4 hours to ride all the good stuff. Most people ride one rim, go out to the point and call it a day but there's alot of trail out there and some of it isn't "official". That being said, we always do two rides per day.

Are you staying in St George proper? If so, then like KRob mentioned, it may be best to do JEM after Goose since you're already out that way anyhow. It's probably the mellowest ride out there but still a blast due to the high speed you can attain and the flow.

I personally like Zen 10X better than Barrel Roll & Suicidal Tendencies but you may feel just the opposite. Depending on how long you want to ride before starting home on Sunday, you could do both. We like to sleep in, eat a big breakfast and then ride until 2-3 pm to avoid *most* of the Vegas traffic on the way home to SD.

Don't forget about Little Creek Mesa (best variety in one trail out there & maybe the most work as well), Guacamole (Baby Goose) & Grafton Mesa.

mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Thanks guys for the help it is greatly appreciated. Getting in Thursday evening, hope the weather holds.
    Any suggestions for an easy night ride around St George one where it would be near impossible to get lost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Prospector / Church Rocks is the "easiest" trail system out there. There are multiple points you can get onto the trail system but we always go in on the north end. Take the 15 Fwy up to Hwy 9 (the same exit as if you're going out to Hurricane) and go east towards town. Go about a mile or so and make a left on Hwy 91 (there will be townhouse to the right and a Chevron station on your left). Go down about another mile and off to your left, past DATS Trucking, there will be a roadway (technically N 5500 W) that cuts back to the freeway and leads to a tunnel under the 15 Fwy. That will lead you straight to the trailhead parking lot.

From the TH, head out away from the freeway and when you come to the first fork in the trail, go left and that will take you out to the main trail system. We take in counter clockwise and as you're coming back, the 15 Fwy will always be off to your right in the distance so it's nearly impossible to get lost. Trust me, if it was easy, I'd be the one to get lost. The FREE Trailforks app from Pinkbike or the MTB Project app are both awesome free tools to keep you on the trail. Trailforks saved me on Guacamole in February and in Phoenix last month.

The Zen trail is closer to town and impossible to get lost but I wouldn't call it easy. We did it last year after driving in from San Diego and a few guys were overwhelmed. It's intermediate overall with areas of sketchiness, especially if you're not used to SW Utah riding.

Lastly, Barrel Roll would be a good option because the signage is great but theres definitely some effort involved there at times. It's deceiving.
    Carpe Diem!!

Formerly of Kent
    I was very unimpressed with the "marking", or lack thereof, on Zen. There are a LOT of little spider trails going off to the left or right, and the rock cairns on bare rock (three in one location when I was last there, for example) are not the best indicator of anything other than "this is a trail", not "this is THE trail". A lot of them are/were dead ends that lead to viewing areas or nothing at all. Is the BLM opposed to signage, or putting paint dots or arrows on the rocks?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I was very unimpressed with the "marking", or lack thereof, on Zen. There are a LOT of little spider trails going off to the left or right, and the rock cairns on bare rock (three in one location when I was last there, for example) are not the best indicator of anything other than "this is a trail", not "this is THE trail". A lot of them are/were dead ends that lead to viewing areas or nothing at all. Is the BLM opposed to signage, or putting paint dots or arrows on the rocks?
    When on Zen following the trail of constant pedal strikes is a far more reliable guide to staying on or near "the trail" than following cairns.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    The 1st time we went out there, we missed the last left turn than sends you "across" the bottom to complete your loop (assuming you rode it counter clockwise). Other than that, we've never had any issue out there. From what I have read or heard, the BLM was none too pleased that Gooseberry was originally "dotted" but gave the creators a "pass" since they did such a great job. If anyplace needs painted dots, that would be Little Creek and Guacamole.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    removed...double post
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    I'm coming down to St. George this weekend (from Thu-Sun) for four days of riding, but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.... assuming the area gets some rain, which trails are the quickest to dry out?

My uneducated guess is the Santa Clara trails, Zen/Bearclaw/Stucki, and then stuff like the Boy Scout Loops. What about any of the mesa trails like Gooseberry, etc? I'm guessing the access roads are going to be a mess.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm coming down to St. George this weekend (from Thu-Sun) for four days of riding, but it looks like the weather isn't going to cooperate.... assuming the area gets some rain, which trails are the quickest to dry out?

My uneducated guess is the Santa Clara trails, Zen/Bearclaw/Stucki, and then stuff like the Boy Scout Loops. What about any of the mesa trails like Gooseberry, etc? I'm guessing the access roads are going to be a mess.
    Prospector (Church Rocks) is the best wet trail, especially south of the Cottonwood Trailhead. Bearclaw is easily damaged if it's wet, probably the same with Stucki. The mesa's are usually good if you can get to them. The Little Creek road probably will handle traffic the best if everything is wet. I have never ridden Boy Scout, so no idea.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Boy Scout and Church Rocks are the best "wet" rides out there for sure. Little Creek may the worst and is definitely the last to dry out. Check out Over the Edge's FB page as they are always posting up trail status....and they do a group ride every saturday that is always fun.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    In addition to current suggestions,
    Zen (if it's not been super wet and rainy)
    Turtle Wall/Paradise Rim (from the Chuckawalla trailhead)

And, I believe you could always park your car down below the last steep mile to Guacamole and hike/bike up that last bit to ride.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anybody in hurricane/st george with a status update? How's it looking for the weekend - noaa's not too optimistic, we were hoping for a rally down there (gooseberry/guac/jem/zen was the plan) but if it's all going to be shut down we would have to think about driving somewhere else. Western WY, hoping for sun and a mtb/golf/camp combo...

mtbr member
    Just got back from Hurricane. Rode Little Creek Mesa trail. Very good ride, I'd say a "must ride" in fact ... BUT route finding is extremely difficult. If you can't find someone who has ridden it, download a program such as Backcountry Navigator Pro and go to UTAHMOUNTAINBIKING to download the gpx files for the trail. It's the only way you'll be able to find your way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Just got back from Hurricane. Rode Little Creek Mesa trail. Very good ride, I'd say a "must ride" in fact ... BUT route finding is extremely difficult. If you can't find someone who has ridden it, download a program such as Backcountry Navigator Pro and go to UTAHMOUNTAINBIKING to download the gpx files for the trail. It's the only way you'll be able to find your way.
    We were in Virgin last weekend and had intentions of riding Little Creek for the first time. With the sporadic rain over the weekend and hearing how muddy the Gooseberry road was, we decided to play it safe and skip it. Bummed but there is now a reason to go back.

What day did you ride Little Creek? Of course Monday was warm and sunny, but we had to leave by noon.

Have you tried the MTB Project app for navigation? I found it extremely helpful last weekend on Guacamole, Jem system, and Prospector/Church Rocks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had to delay a multi-day trip to the St. George/Hurricane area that we had planned. First opportunity to get away now will be mid June. Looks like it's going to hot AND windy over that time! I struggle in the heat - did I miss the weather window for the area? Best to delay the trip to September/October?

mtbr member
    Like most desert locations you're likely looking at mid 90's to 105+ high daytime temps being very common this time of year.
    You do normally have a 3-4 hour window of cooler temps between 5-10 am, but things really start to warm up fast from 9am or so.
    If that kind of riding window with other activities better suited to the high temps could still work for you, could be ok, otherwise, late september on could be a better option.
    Some of the higher mesas like Gooseberry do stay a little cooler, but still very hot and exposed during the heat of the day.
    We're planning on spending a long weekend there this coming weekend when high daily temps look like they will be dipping from 102-105 range to 95 range, but plan on only riding early in the am and then spending time poolside and in other activities.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    I had to delay a multi-day trip to the St. George/Hurricane area that we had planned. First opportunity to get away now will be mid June. Looks like it's going to hot AND windy over that time! I struggle in the heat - did I miss the weather window for the area? Best to delay the trip to September/October?
    I've seen 105F in Zion Canyon and 115F in St George in early June. That is official temps but out on the rocks it is probably much hotter. However, if you are on the trails at dawn and off by around 11 AM you can get some quality riding.

The desert winds are more common in the spring but can happen any time. I've been in the middle of Hurricane at a motel and couldn't see the mesa at the end of town due to blowing dust. Really bad riding conditions. While weather conditions can be very wrong I prefer to avoid being there when high wind is predicted.

You can deal with the heat by getting up early but the wind blows day and night and I've been blown off the trail and even off my bike on those trails.

The Sierras and probably the Rockies are opening up nice right now. In two weeks we'll be riding Tahoe and Downieville. Early season mosquitoes will probably be bad in places but Deet will deal with them. Probably best to ride the higher elevations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbanzi View Post
    Not disagreeing with the others at all about riding early but if it was me, I'd just wait until the Fall and go. That's when we'll be back.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Headed to ride Gooseberry tomorrow in a rental minivan. Will we make it in? Thanks for a great thread!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Call Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane for the latest road conditions. Have a great ride! Enjoy Hidden Canyon for us!

mtbr member
    Call Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane for the latest road conditions. Have a great ride! Enjoy Hidden Canyon for us!
    Sweet will do thanks man!
    Denver, CO

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    Headed to ride Gooseberry tomorrow in a rental minivan. Will we make it in? Thanks for a great thread!
    Keyword noted . . .

Your Best Friend
    I live as close to Gooseberry Mesa as you can get. PM me anytime and I can give up to the millisecond road conditions. I'm also a guide and happy to go along when needed. Sorry I saw this late. Hope you had fun. Our weather is changing fast. Supposed to be a lot colder the next few days with some rain coming on Monday.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I live as close to Gooseberry Mesa as you can get. PM me anytime and I can give up to the millisecond road conditions. I'm also a guide and happy to go along when needed. Sorry I saw this late. Hope you had fun. Our weather is changing fast. Supposed to be a lot colder the next few days with some rain coming on Monday.
    Thanks! Ended up going there today doing a figure 8. Pretty cool unique trail! I think we're going to do hurricane rim tomorrow, the wife wants something a little more mellow/flow/xc'ish. I might try and sneak in flying monkey after. Ran out of time today.

Your Best Friend
    Make sure you do JEM and not the Hurricane Rim then. The Hurricane Rim trail proper is chunky with little flow. Stick to JEM, Goosebumps, Cryptobionic and More Cowbell. Plenty of trail there for a fun day.

b a n n e d
    Make sure you do JEM and not the Hurricane Rim then. The Hurricane Rim trail proper is chunky with little flow. Stick to JEM, Goosebumps, Cryptobionic and More Cowbell. Plenty of trail there for a fun day.
    Some of my favs out there, though I do like Hurricane Rim. When we go, we go a huge loop and actually ride very little of the JEM trail at all. I forget all the names, but there's a small loop that is south of the highway, runs along a gorge, and crosses the highway again after passing a horse corral. I think it dumps you out near the southern JEM TH.

Your Best Friend
    Goulds

trail gnome
    Great thread. Thanks for all the info!

So many great trails, so little time to ride.... What are the "must-do" of the "must-do" trails?

5 of us are arriving April 20th, departing April 26th. We are tentatively staying in Coral Canyon. We have time for a short late afternoon/early evening ride on the 20th, and a short early morning ride on the 26th. On the 5 days between, we are hoping to do one long ride of 2-4 hours, or two shorter rides of 1-1.5 hours. I'm putting together a ride itinerary and looking for advice.

We are intermediate to advanced trail riders. Like all things, skill is relative, so to give a sense of skill level: some of us have ridden Moab, Sedona, and the JEM/Hurricane trail network. We found the JEM/Hurricane network easy, but fun. We would have like to have ridden Gooseberry last time we visited, but we only had one day and time and road conditions did not permit. In Moab, we liked, and walked very little of: The Whole Enchilada, Slickrock, Klondike Bluffs Network. Some sections of Captain Ahab tested our skills and comfort levels and some of us walked a little bit more of it. In Sedona, we liked and walked very little of: Mescale, Slim Shady, Templeton. We liked Hi-Line, but walked a few of the steep rock-armored descents. We were in over our heads on Hangover and walked large sections of it. So step-ups, drops, rolls, rock ramps, steep ups, bridges, exposure, small jumps 2-3 feet: OK. Red Bull Rampage: not OK. Difficult features with high consequences for failing: not OK.

I've watched some videos of Gooseberry Mesa, and it looks like the kind of riding we'd like to do. I watched an intermediate mountain bike guide video for St. George/Hurricane area trails and remember thinking we could ride some of the stuff he walked, but not all of it, taking into account the "it's harder in person than it looks on video" factor.

So what are the "must-rides" for a visit of 5 full days and 2 half days, for our skill level?

Also, are there any organized group rides we could join while we are there? I read that OTE Hurricane has a regular group ride Saturday morning. We are reasonably fit, but we are also mostly middle-aged Canadians emerging from a winter hibernation away from the bike, so we are looking for a pace somewhere between casual-ride-to-the-pub and hammerfest.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Your Best Friend
    I think you have a good grasp of what you need to do and can do.

Yes, OTE has a group ride on Saturday mornings. They typically do Little Creek Mesa. That's one I'd highly recommend and it's a good one to have someone with knowledge of the route as it isn't well marked.

Definitely hit Gooseberry Mesa. You can spend all day up there, especially when you consider that Grafton (technically difficult but walkable) and Wire Mesa (new and fun) are close by.

Another must do is Guacamole Mesa. It's not too long so you can either combine that with JEM/Hurricane rim (since it's close by) or head into S.G. and ride Zen. Zen is a must ride and is short.

I'd also recommend the Santa Clara trails. The Rim trails, Precipice, Barrel Roll, Sidewinder and Suicidal tendencies are all good and can be done together.

Late April should be good for weather, but as always, call ahead or check here.

mtbr member
    With the exception of Flying Monkey and maybe Grafton Mesa, everything out there should be on the agenda for you guys. I usually go out in May with a group and we do pretty much the same as you're planning...get in a shorter ride after we arrive on day one and then do (2) 2-3 hour rides all the other days. We also stay over in Coral canyon. Regarding the video you watched, I agree with your assessment 100% as I can't think of a single feature I can't ride out there (that doesn't mean I clear it every time) on a routine basis.

Staying in Coral Canyon, unless you want to save it for a potential rainy day, you might want to go over and ride Church Rocks. It's one of the easier rides out there and starts out as a very mellow XC ride but then starts to get a lil' rowdier as you go and leads out to some rock ledges and features to tool around on. Fun is the main factor on this ride.

As far as what not to miss, I'd try to hit as much as possible and all the places Silentfoe mentioned would make my list. In *my* opinion, the trails in order not to miss would be:
    Gooseberry Mesa, Zen Trail, Little Creek Mesa, JEM Trail, Boy Scout Trails, Guacamole, Santa Clara trails, Church Rocks, Rythym & Blues. I truly like everything out there and mix things up each trip, sometimes dictated by the weather and road conditions.

We always do the Saturday ride with OTE. Keep in mind that when they ride Little Creek, they do alot of "sessioning" off the rock features...more than I like actually as I'd prefer to ride. As far as the pace, it's very moderate and they stop often to make sure everybody is keeping up (within reason). You'll be fine.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 01-11-2017 at 06:05 PM.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Interesting to see you not recommend Grafton but endorse the Boy Scout trails.

I'm not the best tech rider but I can do most of what's on Grafton.

Boy scout trails suck regardless due to no flow, fall line trails and washes. Avoid unless you're extremely bored.

mtbr member
    Grafton Mesa: I've never made it out there yet but Q at OTE told me it's the most difficult ride other than Flying Monkey. I was going to do the shop ride with OTE there but had a crew of guys and tech isn't their thing so didn't need them pissed at me.

Boy Scout Trails: I love, love, *LOVE* Boy Scout Trails and would ride it weekly if I lived out there. I like techy stuff and even though I walk 3-4 of the bigger features, I love the challenges out there. Most of my friends didn't like it either.

That's whats good about all the variety out there, different trails for a variety of tastes in riding styles. We're probably coming out the 1st weekend in February and I need to ride Wire Mesa and maybe the new stuff on Hurricane Rim they built. The guy I'm bringing hasn't done Barrel Roll & Suicidal Tendencies either.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Hit me up when you want to do Wire. I'll start you on Grafton and then we'll link to Wire. When people say Grafton is super techy, they're talking about 1 major trail and a few other spots. Grafton is a whole Mesa with a number of trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Planning to be in St. George Monday the 16th. I always end up riding the same trails in green valley. What are some other trails that are well marked? I read JEM isn't well marked... Thank you!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jason04 View Post
    Planning to be in St. George Monday the 16th. I always end up riding the same trails in green valley. What are some other trails that are well marked? I read JEM isn't well marked... Thank you!
    Hmmm....JEM is pretty well marked and probably the single hardest trail to get lost on. I have a couple suggestions for you. #1) Stop in the Over The Edge bike shop and they sell a handkerchief with a Trail Map printed on it. #2) Download the Trailforks and MTB Project apps to your phone. Both of them are totally free and have great mapping features. The Trailforks app is the one I use the most but between the two of them, every trail out there in Southern Utah is on those apps.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Hmmm....JEM is pretty well marked and probably the single hardest trail to get lost on. I have a couple suggestions for you. #1) Stop in the Over The Edge bike shop and they sell a handkerchief with a Trail Map printed on it. #2) Download the Trailforks and MTB Project apps to your phone. Both of them are totally free and have great mapping features. The Trailforks app is the one I use the most but between the two of them, every trail out there in Southern Utah is on those apps.
    This.

Your Best Friend
    Just in case anyone is making plans. The Hurricane area has received a ton of rain and/or snow over the last few days. We are forecast to receive even more through Tuesday. Very few of our trails are cleared to ride. Boy Scout and Prospector/Church Rocks are the only trails in our area that can be ridden. If you need a local ride, head to the Green Valley or Santa Clara trails. Even those are hit and miss. Please don't be "that guy" and ride the trails anyway just because you drove all the way here and have to get a ride in. We are being hit especially hard this winter, just like everywhere else.

Thanks!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Perfect conditions for a pedal-assist e-bike!

OK, excellent post and NorCal is experiencing the same conditions. I was in Santa Cruz today at an MTB event and the talk is - stay off the trails! I recommend riders try trail work for therapy and the Dixie Mtn tribe has a lot of great trail work to participate in.

Meanwhile, SoCal and AZ have dry trails to ride. Nice time for a road trip!

mtbr member
    Meanwhile, SoCal and AZ have dry trails to ride. Nice time for a road trip!
    Maybe not... Socal is in the middle of 6 days of rain. Even AZ has been getting storms. A lot of our stuff isn't rideable and probably won't be before next weekend, some areas much longer than that. Like anywhere, check in locally before you go. Palm Springs was all time conditions today!

mtbr member
    Hows conditions out there? Is this drying trend doin its magic? Thanks

mtbr member
    Prospector, Church Rocks, Dino Tracks are all good near Hurricane. I rode them yesterday. Most of Boy Scout Trails are good for sure. Everything else near Hurricane is wet or inaccessible. Don't know about St. George trails.

Your Best Friend
    I just checked on the Hurricane Rim/Jem trails today. They are a no go for awhile. That hasn't stopped some tools from riding them anyway. Three cars with empty bike racks were parked at the antenna/Goulds lot today. Not cool. Gooseberry Mesa would be good if you can get to it. Our ground is super saturated. It is looking up though. No snow/rain in the extended forecast.

mtbr member
    And they pay a high price for their transgressions…..our mud greatly shortens the life span of or destroys components.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just (double) checking in on trail conditions for this weekend? I've had my own local trails wrecked and have seen the havoc wrecked on St G trails first hand so I'm sensitive to the subject.

I will likely be coming down solo (besides my trusty border collie trail buddy) and haven't been on the bike in a few months due to our brutal winter up here in Ogden. I'd like to ride something I'm familiar with if possible.

Gooseberry, Zen, Barrel, and all the stuff around bearclaw poppy (green valley?) are what I have ridden. I assume the green valley stuff is off limits for a while as I've seen that get trashed when wet.

I have a vehicle that's more than capable of making it out to gooseberry but I know it's probably pretty frustrating for others trying to make it out there if the road is rutted out.

I recall riding Paradise Canyon with some beginner riders and had a good time repeating some of the technical parts, so I may be up for that.

Any tips on what is currently rideable, and has (relativley) easy route finding?

Also, I am considering bringing my camper trailer down (if I can get all the damn snow off of it.) Are there any good dispersed camping spots besides the stuff behind the green valley trails?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Your Best Friend
    Actually Green Valley and everything West of St. George is most of what's rideable.

This was the White Road out to Gooseberry Mesa today. About 4 inches. When it finally melts we'll have tons of mud.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Got here kind of late today so I just did a bunch of laps on paradise canyon. Anyone know what else is dry/rideable for tomorrow? Thinking about hitting gooseberry on my way out of town but I'm assuming the road is probably muddy now.

If not that maybe barrel/zen/bear claw.. Are those rideable?

mtbr member
    Church Rocks/Prospector? SilentFoe doesn't like it but the Boy Scout Trails are usually good to go. I know the shop ride was going to Zen today but didn't hear s report back about how it was. Maybe call Over the Edge in the morning.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Bear claw poppy and stucki are out. Everything else in St. George is good. Goose and Jem are out.

mtbr member
    I'm working on camping on Gooseberry February 25 weekend to have a memorial for Gooseberry my SAR dog of 15 years. She did 10 years as a Yodog with Yosemite and was my side kick on the trial

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bear claw poppy and stucki are out. Everything else in St. George is good. Goose and Jem are out.
    Care to hazard a guess what things might look like next weekend if this week is a dry as forecast?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Care to hazard a guess what things might look like next weekend if this week is a dry as forecast?
    Everything should be absolutely perfect by then. Everything.

mtbr member
    Everything should be absolutely perfect by then. Everything.

I'll be back!

With a rake. (hanging head in shame)
    Last edited by KRob; 01-30-2017 at 11:15 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    We rode up the wash from green valley to Barrel Roll yesterday. The wash had some spots of mud and I could only imagine what Stucki Springs was like. It's 55 and sunny right now in Apple Valley. I'm sitting on my porch and can hear drips from snow melting. I'm going to try Gooseberry Mesa tomorrow. Next time you're out here, hit me up.

mtbr member
    We rode up the wash from green valley to Barrel Roll yesterday. The wash had some spots of mud and I could only imagine what Stucki Springs was like. It's 55 and sunny right now in Apple Valley. I'm sitting on my porch and can hear drips from snow melting. I'm going to try Gooseberry Mesa tomorrow. Next time you're out here, hit me up.
    Updates for this Friday and Saturday? I know it's been pretty dry and warm this week, but there was a ton of moisture in the ground. Any chance Guacamole will be accessible and rideable?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    It's really hit or miss and at this point, frustrating. Our weather has been spectacular and we've had some amazing riding. However a lot of the trails had been saturated and are unrideable.

I am thinking that all should be great riding for the weekend.

I will be verifying Gooseberry and Jem tomorrow.

I heard Guacamole was good, but the last bit of road was not drivable so plan on a hike.

mtbr member
    You are killing me

mtbr member
    The road to Goose is still impassable unless you are fearless, have 4 wheel drive and don't mind getting everything you own muddy.

Your Best Friend
    And the Gooseberry Mesa trails are muddy regardless.

Guacamole was awesome today but the last .5 miles of road was a bit crazy.

mtbr member
    Glad we bailed at the last moment and moved over here to Phoenix this weekend. Temps in the mid 70's , no mud and GREAT food all over the place. Way too many choices actually. On the flip side, their traffic sucks and there's no centralized location to stay to get to all the various TH's in a reasonable time period. 85 miles and 7700' of climbing in 4 days.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Yeah, it never dried out as we hoped. Still a lot of riding available though. February is our spring so it's only going to get better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We're heading out there to ride next week. Seems like it's been dry-ish in SW Utah ... at least compared to us here on the West Coast. We'll check on with a local shop when we arrive, but am I correct in assuming most trails are OK to ride? It will be our first time, prefer flowy trails but willing to climb, just not super-rocky and technical (though also willing to walk

Your Best Friend
    Actually not really. We've had a very wet winter. Most trails around St. George are good but Bear Claw Poppy and Stucki could be wet if it's rained recently. Heading up towards Hurricane, Prospector/Church Rocks and the Boy Scout trails should be ok. Not likely that JEM/Hurricane Rim are good but it's worth asking. The Mesa's access roads are absolutely shit right now. You'd need a very capable 4x4 to get out there. If it has street or all terrain tires, you won't make it.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    dman-mb1, escaping NorCal to find dry riding is a worthy goal! As Silent Foe mentioned they've had rain also. Check in with either Red Rock bikes on Bluff in St. George https://redrockbicycle.com or Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane https://redrockbicycle.com. Even after massive flash floods that close I-15 there is something to ride the next day.

They've been doing a lot of work on the Boy Scout / Quail Lake trails west of Hurricane so check that out - unless there are gusts at 50 mph+ like when I rode there. Hurricane is called that for a reason.

Forget The Goose, Gooseberry Mesa, unless you are willing to hike / ride in for many miles. A photo a couple of days ago of the access road showed more water than dirt. If you have a jet boat, bring it.

The JEM trails are the only real flowy trails but they have clay so avoid them unless OTE says they are ready.

We love Guacamole but that last quarter mile road climb is probably bad news now so you may have to hike / ride up Dalton Wash Road at that point. No biggee - worth it!!!! Easy to get lost so download the track from Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs or use any map app with Open Street or Cycle Map. I've added the trails there and elsewhere in the region that didn't have them.

The trails around St. George and Santa Clara dry fast. Barrel Roll and Zen are favorites. Church Rock is pretty good and dries first. I prefer riding the loop up the rock counter-clockwise. Great descent! Finding the TH for Prospector Trail is, well, different. You enter between two warehouses in an industrial area and drive under I-15 through a culvert. Developed parking though. Puddles in the road have a good base.

The Hurricane MTB Festival is coming up in March. Great time to be there!

I have this video for the region https://youtu.be/OSWqy014rw4. I'm adding the Zen Trail to it and changing it a bunch but it could be helpful. Also always check out Utah Mountain Biking - Trails, Information, Repairs.

I don't know where you are but driving time from San Jose is 10 hours, sometimes a little less. Best to motel it this time of the year but there is primitive camping on the Kolob Road in Virgin. Drive up a couple of miles on your right but the creek.

The only decent nightlife is at George's Corner in St. George and the Bit and Spur restaurant in Springdale. Nothing wild, but you didn't go to Utah for that.

mtbr member
    Forget The Goose, Gooseberry Mesa, unless you are willing to hike / ride in for many miles. A photo a couple of days ago of the access road showed more water than dirt. If you have a jet boat, bring it.
    Why did the squirrel cross the road?

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner-goose-road_2.jpg

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner-goose-road_1.jpg

Go or don't go but Winder Towing are the guys to call
    https://www.facebook.com/Winder-Towi...2949886782699/

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    so you got the vehicle to get there, why would ya?

would those guys actually ride the trails?
    Last edited by nhodge; 02-25-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    I rode JEM a couple days ago, just fine, also drove into Guacamole yesterday. The last climb I had the truck in 4x4, no problems. Going back today. Another day or two of drying and the 2 Wheelers should be able to make it. Just stay up and out of the ruts if you are low clearance. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Why did the squirrel cross the road?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goose road_2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	1123421

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goose road_1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	157.8 KB 
ID:	1123420

Go or don't go but Winder Towing are the guys to call
    https://www.facebook.com/Winder-Towi...2949886782699/
    Nasty!

mtbr member
    Thinking of heading to Gooseberry on Monday. Will the road be dry enough to make it on the Mesa?

Your Best Friend
    No. It's not good now and it's supposed to rain/snow over the weekend and on Monday and Tuesday.

mtbr member
    No. It's not good now and it's supposed to rain/snow over the weekend and on Monday and Tuesday.
    That sucks. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Arrived in St George last night and rode Barrel Roll and Precipice today as a warmup for the rest of the week. Perfect trails, perfect weather and NO MUD!! Thanks for all the tips. There was an ambulance and EMT's heading up to the TH just as we were leaving the lower lot ... hope everyone's OK!

Your Best Friend
    We didn't get the rain today that was forecast. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

mtbr member
    We didn't get the rain today that was forecast. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

It's still going to take a few days to dry out.

Your Best Friend
    The road is doable now, but it's very tenuous. Fingers crossed that it starts to dry. The Wire Mesa grand opening is on March 4th if anyone will be around for that.

mtbr member
    The road is doable now, but it's very tenuous. Fingers crossed that it starts to dry. The Wire Mesa grand opening is on March 4th if anyone will be around for that.
    At 10k in weight I'm going to let it dry even with 4 wheel drive. I will be watching this week and might just make it out next weekend.

Your Best Friend
    Drop a line when you get in.

mtbr member
    I'd love to but I'm already committed to week in Cabo where it will be 81 degrees on the 4th when we arrive. Darn it!!
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

I'm out on the Mesa and other than one spot of mud it's ok

Last edited by gooseberry1; 03-03-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry1 View Post
    I'm out on the Mesa and other than one spot of mud you can bypass it's Amazing
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully still accessible in a few weeks for the Hurricane MTB Festival!

mtbr member
    Riding today was great and the first upper body ride after I went off at a high speed and broke some stuff. I had fun but that get off is still in my head.

mtbr member
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/ac544c6aace099417de42789b3fc8b2f.jpg[/IMG

Camp spot

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Riding today was great and the first upper body ride after I went off at a high speed and broke some stuff. I had fun but that get off is still in my head.
    Planning my trip to the Hurricane MTB Festival and Outerbike. Nice they are only a week apart.

Two years after getting my Yeti trail bike I'm still trying to get past the crap in my head from decades on X/C bikes and riding rock gardens. The brain doesn't want to forget all those crashes even though I can ride much bigger stuff now. Frustrating. Good luck getting past that!

Your Best Friend
    I'm out on the Mesa and other than one spot of mud you can bypass it's Amazing

You actually cannot bypass that mud pit. We spend hours trying to block off where people are driving through the trees and actually over a "no motorized vehicles" carsonite sign. Please, go through the puddle or turn around.

mtbr member
    You actually cannot bypass that mud pit. We spend hours trying to block off where people are driving through the trees and actually over a "no motorized vehicles" carsonite sign. Please, go through the puddle or turn around.
    Did not do the trees and don't think a van would have fit.

Your Best Friend
    I'm wondering what you mean by being able to drive around it. There is one major puddle on the Gooseberry Mesa road and you can't drive around it.

mtbr member

Gooseberry Road Work & Upgrades

Yesterday I drove in to ride Wire Mesa for the first time and there were two road graders working the Smithsonian Butte Road and a whole lot of road mix gravel being added to the surface. The big mud hole was being filled in and sections of the road had been raised with a borrow pit dug along each side to drain water into. The guys working it said they would likely re-grade the road to the base of climb up to the left turn onto Gooseberry Mesa trail system. Thank you to the person or group that pulled the right strings to get this done. Any reports on future road improvement plans would be appreciated.

Also drove my high clearance 4x4 truck down the hill to Rockville and saw a few trucks driving up the road. Just a couple of dicey spots but doable. I would not recommend any low clearance all wheel drive vehicles on this road.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hi, first-timer to the Mesa here, I drove in on Wednesday. Road crew was working the section of Smithsonian Buttes Rd close to Hwy 59, but directed me around the early puddles on the high-line. Further up a bit there's a big puddle with plants growing in it that also had a go-around, it looks like it's been that way for a long time. After the Mesa turnoff, we encountered the big puddle with a detour through the trees that looked freshly cut. Against my better judgment, but following my better-half's request, I went through the trees and regretted it ... both as a responsible trail user, and as someone with a new and still fairly unscratched truck. On the return, went through the mud no problem. Sorry for being a bad visitor! Though I will say there was no sign saying don't go here, and the trees seemed freshly cut to clear a path just inches bigger than a Tacoma DoubleCab. Funny thing is, when we got to the first trailhead there was an immaculate white German AWD crossover (I won't mention the brand) parked there with a hitch rack and neither mud stains nor scratches ... maybe it came in from Rockville? Anyway, had a blast on the Mesa (and the 3 other days we rode in the area) and thanks to all the locals who build, maintain and mark/sign the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am headed to AZ from Idaho with a brief stop in Hurricane 3/6-7. Was really hoping to take my car rather than my truck. Sounds like Gooseberry is a no go in a car right now but was wondering if Wire Mesa is accessible by a sedan? Also want to ride some at Jem. Are there spots to pull off and pitch a tent along the Sheep Bridge Road close to Hwy 59?

mtbr member
    It looks like the sidebysides are the ones that cut the trees to get around the puddle. On the way out today they are lined up to go through the trees and I went in the puddle and out with no issue and enough mud on the van to have the Cali inspection ask me if I had fun. Yes we did thank you.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    It looks like the sidebysides are the ones that cut the trees to get around the puddle. On the way out today they are lined up to go through the trees and I went in the puddle and out with no issue and enough mud on the van to have the Cali inspection ask me if I had fun. Yes we did thank you.

Hi Mr. gooseberry1,

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "sidebysides"?

Thanks, in advance, for the education!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hi Mr. gooseberry1,

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "sidebysides"?

Thanks, in advance, for the education!

Michael
    ATV's and quads like the Polaris razor.

Your Best Friend
    If I'd have seen them I'd have called BLM law enforcement and the sherrif. There is (was) a carsonite sign saying no motorized vehicles. I work with the BLM and we'll press charges for vandalism and trespassing and get your vehicle impounded.

Your Best Friend
    Wow. Went up today and you guys are right. These ass holes actually trimmed the trees back and removed the no motorized vehicles sign. Sad, because now the mud pit is dry and easily passable.

Gooseberry Mesa is perfect right now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    [IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170303/ac544c6aace099417de42789b3fc8b2f.jpg[/IMG

Camp spot
    I saw your van (or another similar Sportsmobile) when we were leaving on Thursday. Is camping allowed anywhere up there ... assuming one follows low-impact practices, and how about fires? Also, what are Mesa temps in summer?

Your Best Friend
    Camping is generally allowed anywhere. Most of the Mesa is BLM land so follow their general guidelines. Fires are allowed. Temps can reach over 100 degrees up here in the summer. There were many times last summer where I rode in the afternoon and didn't see a soul on the trails or camping. Go early or late.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Camping is generally allowed anywhere. Most of the Mesa is BLM land so follow their general guidelines. Fires are allowed. Temps can reach over 100 degrees up here in the summer. There were many times last summer where I rode in the afternoon and didn't see a soul on the trails or camping. Go early or late.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How is the cellphone service by the trails? I'm going to be in town the end of April and was looking to get in a couple rides before the rest of my group arrives. Trying to decide if I need to bring a beacon with me or not.

Your Best Friend
    It depends, is the obvious answer. Of course it depends on your service provider. Typically with Verizon I have service everywhere except most sections of Guacamole.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    What about camping near the JEM/Goulds TH at Sheep Bridge Park? Is that BLM? Looks good on googlemaps - ( 37.198036, -113.209036 ) or (37.200629, -113.218021 ). I have a low clearance Suby so anything Gooseberry is not a go for me. Looking for camping options.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoothillsHero View Post
    What about camping near the JEM/Goulds TH at Sheep Bridge Park? Is that BLM? Looks good on googlemaps - ( 37.198036, -113.209036 ) or (37.200629, -113.218021 ). I have a low clearance Suby so anything Gooseberry is not a go for me. Looking for camping options.
    I don't know about those two locations but I see RV's camped further out Sheep Bridge. Plenty of room. There is some private property near the quarry.

Your Suby should be able to get to the camping areas on Gooseberry when the road is dry with no problem. Lots of small cars at the trailheads there.

Another dispersed camping area that is popular and has toilets is on the right side of the Kolob Road about 2 miles from Virgin. Nice cottonwoods for shade but can get crowded at times.

Showers are at Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane.

The nearest state liquor store is at Hwy 9 and I-17.

Lynn's is a very good grocery store in Hurricane.

River Rock is the best coffee in the area, Hwy 9 in LaVerkin.

That should set you up :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I don't know about those two locations but I see RV's camped further out Sheep Bridge. Plenty of room. There is some private property near the quarry.

Your Suby should be able to get to the camping areas on Gooseberry when the road is dry with no problem. Lots of small cars at the trailheads there.

Another dispersed camping area that is popular and has toilets is on the right side of the Kolob Road about 2 miles from Virgin. Nice cottonwoods for shade but can get crowded at times.

Showers are at Over the Edge Sports in Hurricane.

The nearest state liquor store is at Hwy 9 and I-17.

Lynn's is a very good grocery store in Hurricane.

River Rock is the best coffee in the area, Hwy 9 in LaVerkin.

That should set you up :-)
    Thanks, man!

The Kolob Road of which you speak is Kolob Terrace Rd along North Creek? That area looks real good on g-maps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I found AT&T coverage to be generally good in the entire StGeorge/Hurricane/JEM/Gooseberry area.

mtbr member
    Any thoughts on what the trail conditions will be like (and trail access conditions) this weekend? Leaning toward coming down for the OTE festival, but I see it's been raining.

Is Gooseberry accessible for a modest clearance AWD SUV?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by obviouslyme View Post
    Any thoughts on what the trail conditions will be like (and trail access conditions) this weekend? Leaning toward coming down for the OTE festival, but I see it's been raining.

Is Gooseberry accessible for a modest clearance AWD SUV?
    Of course it all depends on how much it actually rains so take this with a grain of salt and they are just MY opinions...

Almost any rain at all and we avoid the JEM Trail and Little Creek Mesa. The road to Gooseberry Mesa is usually passable but that doesn't mean your vehicle or bikes on the back won't be covered in filthy muck. The only road that scares me is the road up to Guacamole when it gets slimy. The inside rut loves to swallow you up and get you stuck and if you start sliding and try to steer away from it, the other side of the road is essentially a cliff.

Barring a deluge, there will be trails to ride. Not sure how they fared today but the storm that was supposed to hit SoCal fizzled out so far. Depending on when you plan to get out there, I'd ride Guacamole and JEM Trail before the rains come. If you can get to the mesa at Gooseberry before the rains on Saturday, you should be fine to ride; then ride Quail Creek or maybe Church Rocks after the rains clear.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on trails and roads after the storm? Looks like it wasn't quite as big as they forecasted, at least by looking at radar images throughout the night.

mtbr member
    Of course it all depends on how much it actually rains so take this with a grain of salt and they are just MY opinions...

Almost any rain at all and we avoid the JEM Trail and Little Creek Mesa. The road to Gooseberry Mesa is usually passable but that doesn't mean your vehicle or bikes on the back won't be covered in filthy muck. The only road that scares me is the road up to Guacamole when it gets slimy. The inside rut loves to swallow you up and get you stuck and if you start sliding and try to steer away from it, the other side of the road is essentially a cliff.

Barring a deluge, there will be trails to ride. Not sure how they fared today but the storm that was supposed to hit SoCal fizzled out so far. Depending on when you plan to get out there, I'd ride Guacamole and JEM Trail before the rains come. If you can get to the mesa at Gooseberry before the rains on Saturday, you should be fine to ride; then ride Quail Creek or maybe Church Rocks after the rains clear.
    Thanks for the info. The only other time I've been (couple months ago) we did the shop ride to the Boyscout Trails because of the rain. It was a ton of fun.

This time we're headed in for the festival and we're aiming for some slickrock.

The forecasted rain totals on Saturday are tiny, so hopefully we'll be able to come and go from Gooseberry.

Your Best Friend
    I checked JEM this morning. It's damp but good to go. Gooseberry Mesa got a lot more rain but the road should be fine. The storm is drawing down and things will dry fast. The forecast has changed and now our next rain is Monday.

mtbr member
    When I'm down, I ride up the last road to Guacamole. First trip I almost didn't make it in my old Matrix.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    We just got back from our first trip to St George/Hurricane. We had a great time, so I doubt it will be our last visit! Brief summary of what we rode an our impressions:

Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki/Jay's Wash - Good warm-up ride after two days of driving. Thumbs up to the fun factor on Jay's Wash.

Zen - Yes, it's pretty techy.

Wire Mesa - Kudos to the trail builders...very fun to ride. We did it ccw, but cw would have been just as good. Several people there were doing one direction then heading out to do the other.

Hurricane Rim - We did it as an out-and-back from the trailhead just above Hurricane. I wouldn't recommend this. It doesn't ride real well heading out and does ride much better coming back. I can see why the loop up Gould's to Jem and back on Hurricane is recommended.

Gooseberry Mesa - It deserves the reputation is has. My favorite ride there. We did the South Rim out, then back on the North Rim. It felt like a good way to do it.

Barrel Roll - Good ride with a bit of tech.

Rim Rambler/Runner - The stuff to get there is meh, but the actual singletrack riding once out on the rim was excellent. We would have ridden Sidewinder/Suicidal Tendencies, but it was crazy windy and Barrel Roll was a ***** enough with the wind.

Jem trails - We only got a short ride in here because we were heading out of town. The lower part of Goosebumps was fun and Deadringer was good both ways. Some of the other trails were way bumpier than I expected...cow prints I think.

Stuff we didn't get to this trip - Guacamole, Little Creek Mesa, Sidewinder/Suicidal Tendencies.

Thanks to all those that have done a lot of hard work on those trails!

Your Best Friend
    Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Headed out to Hurricane for my first trip these week from Phoenix AZ. Plan on riding the Big Loop at Gooseberry Thurs and Hurricane Rim Loop on Fri. I was wondering on time estimates for intermediate riders? Can you spend all day at Goose or can you ride the big loop and jump over to Guac all in one day?

mtbr member
    It really depends on what route you take over at Gooseberry Mesa and if you do any add-on's to the standard loop. I'd say count on 2-3 hours at GM so yes, you'll absolutely have time but be forewarned, 15 miles at Goose will feel like 25 anywhere else, especially your first time.

Your Best Friend
    I never recommend doing another ride on the same day as Goose. It definitely feels bigger than it is. Don't cut it short though, there are a lot of trails up there that will keep you busy for 4+ hours and after that you'll be worked.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    Headed out to Hurricane for my first trip these week from Phoenix AZ. Plan on riding the Big Loop at Gooseberry Thurs and Hurricane Rim Loop on Fri. I was wondering on time estimates for intermediate riders? Can you spend all day at Goose or can you ride the big loop and jump over to Guac all in one day?
    it would be easier to link gooseberry with wire mesa or grafton. Look on trail forks you'll see the linkup.
    Denver, CO

Your Best Friend
    And that link up between Gooseberry Mesa and Grafton is one of the worst "trails" you'll ever ride. Don't believe everything you see on an app.

mtbr member
    And that link up between Gooseberry Mesa and Grafton is one of the worst "trails" you'll ever ride. Don't believe everything you see on an app.

That's good to know

Your Best Friend
    It sucks you in. In starts where Gander leaves off. It's called Grafton Wash. It's ok for maybe a mile, descends into the wash and then it's a miserable, chunky, hike a bike straight up to link in to Grafton.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LCBooger View Post
    That's good to know

Hey Landon. Gander is actually a pretty fun trail and Grafton Wash with the steep switchbacks up to the beginning of Grafton are probably less than a mile, and mostly rideable ( At least they used to be. It's been a few years), but the total Gander connector is 8-9 miles and feels like more, especially after riding 2-3 hours at Gooseberry. Be prepared for a bit of a schlep. I've done it a couple times, but it is pretty a big ride.... and you still have to get back to your vehicle over at Gooseberry somehow. Riding the road around is another (not that great) option.

So, yes, you can link them but I like to break Gooseberry and Grafton into separate rides on separate days especially now with Wire Mesa in the Grafton area.

Dead Ringer/JEM is a nice trail to pair with Gooseberry. Close by and mostly easy pedaling. Or if you have multiple vehicles or a shuttle driver, drive around to the top of Grafton after Gooseberry and just hit the DH.
    Last edited by KRob; 04-03-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Your Best Friend
    I wasn't saying Gander wasn't good, it's one of my favorites, Grafton Wash however is horrible and is not rideable. That's up to date info and not based on a few years ago.

mtbr member
    I wasn't saying Gander wasn't good, it's one of my favorites, Grafton Wash however is horrible and is not rideable. That's up to date info and not based on a few years ago.
    Sent from my SM

Thanks for the update. It must've gotten washed out since I rode it last. Not surprising, I guess, since it is a wash.

I usually start at Grafton Cemetery, ride up the road and just make a loop of Grafton DH, but now with Wire Mesa in the mix, I'll normally loop that on the way up to add some length. I have also ridden up Cry Baby hill to the top of Grafton, then crossed Gander to Gooseberry, full loop at Goose, rode back (on the road) to the top of Grafton then descended Grafton. Now that's a big day. Luckily I had friends camping at the top of Grafton where I was able to stop and replenish (there may have been a lunch and nap involved, lol) before dropping down Grafton.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Np

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am planning on riding Gooseberry and surrounding area next next weekend and through the first part of the week. I stayed in Springdale a couple of Spring Breaks ago and hiked Zion with my dad, I don't want to pay Zion prices. Any recommendations on cheap hotel in the Hurricane area that doesn't mind putting the bike in the room? I am traveling solo, so don't need anything fancy, but not Motel 8 either. Clean, wifi, something tasty to eat nearby.

Thanks.

Your Best Friend
    There're about 7 hotels in Hurricane proper. You'd have to call them to find out if they're bike in room friendly.

pedlr
    I've stayed at the holiday inn express , near the highway. Almost midway between St George trails and those near Hurricane. Very satisfactory.

mtbr member
    I stayed on Gooseberry Mesa and found it quite satisfactory as well.

pedlr
    Sweet! That's on the bucket list.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeThePlanet View Post
    I am planning on riding Gooseberry and surrounding area next next weekend and through the first part of the week. I stayed in Springdale a couple of Spring Breaks ago and hiked Zion with my dad, I don't want to pay Zion prices. Any recommendations on cheap hotel in the Hurricane area that doesn't mind putting the bike in the room? I am traveling solo, so don't need anything fancy, but not Motel 8 either. Clean, wifi, something tasty to eat nearby.

Thanks.
    We stayed in the Holiday Inn Express on our recent visit and it was a pretty convenient location being right in the middle between St George and Hurricane. The downside is that there aren't any places within walking distance to eat, though they do have breakfast at the hotel.

MarkyMark
    Wingate by Wyndham in Hurricane were good with bikes in rooms. The hotel is pretty much brand new--it wasn't cheap ($160/night), but it wasn't expensive either. Breakfast was pretty good and it's right in town so there are many options for food. There's a taco truck and mobile brick-oven pizza that's virtually across the road in an empty lot. I tried both and they were good.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeThePlanet View Post

Your Best Friend
    That's good to know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A little outside the St. George area, but anyone know if Thunder Mountain is drying out yet? Headed down next week and we always love to get that one in.

Thanks.

trail gnome
    I posted a few weeks ago seeking trail advice. We are arriving this Thursday for a week. Any last minute news before we depart? Trail closures, trails to avoid due to conditions, new trails to check out, scheduled events to be aware of?

Thanks for all the advice so far. We hope to join the Over the Edge group ride if they do Little Creek Mesa this weekend. Perhaps we'll meet some of you there.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    I posted a few weeks ago seeking trail advice. We are arriving this Thursday for a week. Any last minute news before we depart? Trail closures, trails to avoid due to conditions, new trails to check out, scheduled events to be aware of?

Thanks for all the advice so far. We hope to join the Over the Edge group ride if they do Little Creek Mesa this weekend. Perhaps we'll meet some of you there.

Cheers.
    Just an FYI: Saturday is the Cactus Hugger race on the JEM trail. Hurricane will be relatively crowded this weekend.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    Just an FYI: Saturday is the Cactus Hugger race on the JEM trail. Hurricane will be relatively crowded this weekend.
    Thanks for the heads-up. We'll ride that area on Friday then, if conditions permit.

I read elsewhere that the OTE group ride will be at Grafton this Saturday. We were hoping to ride Little Creek that day. Does the group split up and ride different trail networks, or will everyone be at Grafton? Perhaps we should look into getting a guide for Little Creek, if it's not too late.

Your Best Friend
    The shop ride has 10 people at most and sticks together. They won't typically do separate rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    A little outside the St. George area, but anyone know if Thunder Mountain is drying out yet? Headed down next week and we always love to get that one in.

Thanks.
    Rode Losee, Cassidy, and Thunder mountain Saturday, perfect conditions.

Also two thumbs up for Wire Mesa, and thanks to all of you who build trails in the St. George area, we had a great week down there.

Your Best Friend
    Nice, thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hoping on a plane to St. George today. Any lesser know gems I should try to ride? Hitting the big named ones later in the week with chasing epic.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Hey voghan! I'll be one of the guides for the Chasing Epic trip. We can talk then and I'll give you the scoop on the whole area.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hey voghan! I'll be one of the guides for the Chasing Epic trip. We can talk then and I'll give you the scoop on the whole area.

I'm getting in today. So far I'm going to ride church rocks/Prospector and Bear Claw/Poppy. Might add a ride or check out Zion.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Your Best Friend
    Prospector and Church rocks are typically the rides we do when everything else is rained out. They aren't bad and are actually fun, just not the best. If you have access to a car, I'd recommend wire Mesa as we won't be doing that with the group.

mtbr member

Can you cook or will you be taking your guests for a Colt burger at the Apple Valley Chevron?
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    I'm not that kind of guide. Meals are at restaurants or catered.

mtbr member
    I'm not that kind of guide. Meals are at restaurants or catered.

I know. I couldn't resist. I hope to do the Chasing Epic Crested Butte tour in September
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    That'd be a cool one. Little Creek Station has awesome food btw but I'm sure you knew that. it's an unexpected gem.

mtbr member
    That'd be a cool one. Little Creek Station has awesome food btw but I'm sure you knew that. it's an unexpected gem.

Just came back from the area yesterday. This was the 1st trip that we didn't eat there due to the fact I'm c currently on a mini-health kick. I'll beside to get back there for may Colt burger on our June trip.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Pm me next time and we can go ride. I was up on Gooseberry Mesa yesterday. Did I maybe see you?

mtbr member
    We were camping up there all weekend alongside Gander. Rode Goose on Friday, Grafton with OTE on Saturday and planned on Wire Mesa yesterday but I got an eye infection (pink eye) so we took off yesterday instead of riding Wire Mesa (still haven't done that).
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    Here's a nice summary of camping in the St. George/Hurricane area:
    https://redrockbicycle.com/news/camp...und-st-george/

Your Best Friend
    We were camping up there all weekend alongside Gander. Rode Goose on Friday, Grafton with OTE on Saturday and planned on Wire Mesa yesterday but I got an eye infection (pink eye) so we took off yesterday instead of riding Wire Mesa (still haven't done that).
    Well don't stick your finger in your butt and then in your eye. Problem solved!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I am heading down to St. George 10 - 19th of September. First time in the area - Plan to stay at the Sand Hollow Campground. What is a good resource for trail conditions while I am down there - I have been to Fruita 8 times and the OTE bike shop was the go to source for trail conditions. Just good info to know so can call ahead and get educated in case of rain and such.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Your Best Friend
    There is a Facebook page, southern utah trail conditions, that is pretty good about updating. In September we may have some odd rainstorms but the trails will typically be great, if not extra dry/dusty.

trail gnome
    Thanks for all the advice I was given here! Trip was a success; no major hiccups.

We rented a condo in Coral Canyon for 6 nights and rode the following:

Church Rocks & Prospector (day of arrival evening ride)
    JEM network
    Little Creek Mesa
    Bear Claw Poppy & Zen
    Gooseberry Mesa & Gander
    Guacamole
    Grapevine & Church Rocks (day of departure morning ride)

It was a nice progression of distance & difficulty, a good level of challenge for us and a good variety of riding.
    Favorite trail network: group consensus was Gooseberry, with Guacamole a close second.
    Favorite trail sections: Fingers of Death & Acid Drops.

Lessons Learned:
    • We wasted a lot of time riding our bikes and getting lost in the subdivision on our way to Church Rocks. We had a crummy map and short attention spans. On our last day, we simply drove to the trailhead.
    • Pay attention to the elevation lines.
    • One week not enough; two would have been better.
    • Given only one week, it would have been better to focus on either Hurricane or St. George, not both, and choose accommodation accordingly.
    • 4x4 truck was a good decision.
    • Guacamole was enough riding for us for one day. We did everything, including the southeast loop (IIRC, not on the printed map, but on the fabric map we obtained from OTE). It was our shortest distance day, but we spent enough time out there.

We'd like to make a donation to the local advocacy group. That's the Dixie Mountain Bike Association, correct?

Thanks!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Thanks for the update! You rode a good selection of trails and now have the region figured out. You even found the elusive Cottonwood TH in the industrial park! It is baffling the first time.

On your next adventure to the area you can add Thunder Mountain and assorted trails near Bryce Canyon NP :-) Then there is the Flying Monkey (suicide) trail near Virgin.

Your Best Friend
    Yes, the Dixie Mountain Bike Trails Association. We appreciate any help we can get. Glad you found your way around and had fun.

Your Best Friend
    The St. George/Hurricane area has received a lot of rain recently. Please plan your rides accordingly.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice I was given here! Trip was a success; no major hiccups.

We rented a condo in Coral Canyon for 6 nights and rode the following:

Church Rocks & Prospector (day of arrival evening ride)
    JEM network
    Little Creek Mesa
    Bear Claw Poppy & Zen
    Gooseberry Mesa & Gander
    Guacamole
    Grapevine & Church Rocks (day of departure morning ride)

It was a nice progression of distance & difficulty, a good level of challenge for us and a good variety of riding.
    Favorite trail network: group consensus was Gooseberry, with Guacamole a close second.
    Favorite trail sections: Fingers of Death & Acid Drops.

Lessons Learned:
    • We wasted a lot of time riding our bikes and getting lost in the subdivision on our way to Church Rocks. We had a crummy map and short attention spans. On our last day, we simply drove to the trailhead.
    • Pay attention to the elevation lines.
    • One week not enough; two would have been better.
    • Given only one week, it would have been better to focus on either Hurricane or St. George, not both, and choose accommodation accordingly.
    • 4x4 truck was a good decision.
    • Guacamole was enough riding for us for one day. We did everything, including the southeast loop (IIRC, not on the printed map, but on the fabric map we obtained from OTE). It was our shortest distance day, but we spent enough time out there.

We'd like to make a donation to the local advocacy group. That's the Dixie Mountain Bike Association, correct?

Thanks!
    Looks like you need to come back and hit Barrel Roll, Sidewinder & Suicidal Tendencies over in Santa Clara. Rhythm & Blues plus the Boy Scout trails right there near the condos you rented, then Wire Mesa and when you're ready to take a big step up...hit Grafton Mesa.
    Carpe Diem!!

trail gnome
    Thanks again for all your help. Here's a video from the trip. There is a blooper reel at the end if you make it that far. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIz...ature=youtu.be

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I am an avid collector of pint glasses and would like to know where in St. George / Hurricane / Las Vegas are good places to go eat and pick up new pint glasses?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Thanks again for all your help. Here's a video from the trip. There is a blooper reel at the end if you make it that far. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYIz...ature=youtu.be
    Awesome video! I had no problem making it all the way to the end - was very entertaining.

mtbr member
    The Over the Edge bike shop *probably* has one they sell. I'm sure they are everywhere in Vegas, especially the crappy souvenir shops that litter The Strip. I'm not "avid" but I try to pick one up every time I ride someplace new...kind of like ski resort pins which I have a plethora of and I can truly say they bring back great memories I made with friends and later my kids.
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Yes, OTE has pint and shot glasses.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Definitely will get one from OTE in St, George. I have one from OTE in Fruita. Have to search for breweries in the area that may have them. 10 more glasses and my cabinet will be full.

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner-pintglasscabinet1.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hey all, we will be returning to the area again this fall for another mountain bike/rock climbing trip. Ive ridden in st george hurricane many times having done Zen trail, jem trail and the hurricane rim loop, gooseberry, Grafton, guacamole and little creek. I was wondering if anybody can recommend some of the lesser known rides that are still alot of fun, we very much prefer the technical trails with the area favorites being Grafton mesa, gooseberry, and Zen.

How are icehouse and broken mesa? I've heard mixed reviews on both.

Thank you !
    Last edited by Ibisglen; 09-07-2017 at 12:43 PM. Reason: To say thankyou

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Well, there is Flying Monkey next to Virgin. That should be technical enough. I'm slowly working my way up from the bottom and learning the trail that way. Maybe after Rampage I'll have my wife drop me at the top.

The new trail on Wire Mesa next to Grafton Mesa is a nice ride with some technical features. Great views.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibisglen View Post
    Hey all, we will be returning to the area again this fall for another mountain bike/rock climbing trip. Ive ridden in st george hurricane many times having done Zen trail, jem trail and the hurricane rim loop, gooseberry, Grafton, guacamole and little creek. I was wondering if anybody can recommend some of the lesser known rides that are still alot of fun, we very much prefer the technical trails with the area favorites being Grafton mesa, gooseberry, and Zen.

How are icehouse and broken mesa? I've heard mixed reviews on both.

Thank you !
    It may not be as technical as you are looking for, but Wire Mesa is a good, quality ride. You can expand it my riding it one direction, then ride it the other.

Your Best Friend
    Yeah, hit Wire Mesa just because it's new. Ice house is vanishing quickly and is essential an underused, dying trail.

mtbr member
    Yeah, hit Wire Mesa just because it's new. Ice house is vanishing quickly and is essential an underused, dying trail.

We went over to Ice House in 2011 at Monte's suggestion. He hadn't been there in a while but he said it was one of his favorites at one time. It was absolutely the worst trail I ever worked so hard to get to...and ride out from. Never again for us!!
    Carpe Diem!!

Your Best Friend
    Live and learn right?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Silentfoe - I tried contacting you about a month ago via PM and email regarding St. George, but have not received a response. What is the best way to get in touch?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hn View Post
    Silentfoe - I tried contacting you about a month ago via PM and email regarding St. George, but have not received a response. What is the best way to get in touch?
    It is easy to get Silentfoe's attention. Ride a pedal assist bike on The Goose and he'll jump out of the junipers to stop you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am heading to Hurricane for Mon-Tue (12/11-12), hitting GB, JEM Shuttle, and Little Creek.

I have ridden GB several times, and know it pretty well. How much longer or shorter is Little Creek compared to GB (Riding time and physical exertion)?

I am trying to schedule our rides. We'll be there around 11am on Monday.

My plan was

Monday - GB
    Tues AM - JEM
    early lunch
    Tues PM - LC

Reasonable?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post
    I am heading to Hurricane for Mon-Tue (12/11-12), hitting GB, JEM Shuttle, and Little Creek.

I have ridden GB several times, and know it pretty well. How much longer or shorter is Little Creek compared to GB (Riding time and physical exertion)?

My plan was

Monday - GB
    Tues AM - JEM
    early lunch
    Tues PM - LC

Reasonable?
    Doing all of Little Creek is +-17 miles. It's a pretty big ride and will probably take 3 to 4 hours. It's a bit easier than Gooseberry Mesa.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahJohn View Post

My plan was

Monday - GB
    Tues AM - JEM
    early lunch
    Tues PM - LC

Reasonable?
    My opinion only but assuming you ride the outer Big Loop and then North Point Loop, Little Creek is both a longer ride and requires more physical exertion. Then again, I don't know what route you normally take at Gooseberry either. That being said, I think your plan looks fine.

EDIT: Looks like Silentfoe and I think alike. I was going to add that Little Creek is by far the easiest place to get turned around so make sure you download the Trailforks or MTB Project app before you get out there.
    Carpe Diem!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.