St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    since you're gonna be in Virgin, you might as well go across the highway & ride Guacamole. we thought it was well worth it.
    breezy shade

mtbr member

St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Definitely going to do Guacamole later in the week with the wife. I'll take the guys if we have time.

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by PiousInquisitor View Post
    Suicidal Tendencies is OK. The Barrel Roll trail, Sidewinder, Rim Rock, Rim Runner, Rim Rambler, and Rim Reaper trails (near ST) are excellent as well. You could ride them all day and not get bored.

The JEM, Hurricane Rim, Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, and Gould's Rim are great too. These are located just outside of Hurricane.

Gooseberry Mesa and across the highway, Little Creak Mesa are must rides. They may have a skiff of snow on them right now though.

For information, including GPS files, go to Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

Enjoy your trip!
    Here's our tentative itinerary:
    Sunday - Bootleg Canyon
    Monday - St. George Trails
    Tuesday - Gooseberry (can we make this last all day?)
    Wednesday - Little Creek (same as above, or should Gooseberry and Little Creek be combined into one day?)
    Thursday - open day JEM, Gould, Guacamole

Thoughts, suggestions are much appreciated. I'll be renting instead of shipping my bike.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandpaSnook View Post
    Tuesday - Gooseberry (can we make this last all day?)
    Wednesday - Little Creek (same as above, or should Gooseberry and Little Creek be combined into one day?)
    Thursday - open day JEM, Gould, Guacamole
    Goose, Guac and Little Creek become different trails if you ride them in the opposite direction, so in my opinion, Goose and Little Creek can be all day trails.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Goose, Guac and Little Creek become different trails if you ride them in the opposite direction, so in my opinion, Goose and Little Creek can be all day trails.
    Bootleg canyon is out.

See I'm thinking
    Sunday: St. George - Barrel Roll, Zen << can this be done in a day?
    Monday: Hurricane - Gould/Jem
    Tuesday: Hurricane - Gooseberry/Grafton
    Wednesday: Hurricane - Little Creek
    Thursday: Virgin - Guacamole

Again, thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Not sure what you mean by all day but for me and my riding companions, the loops we do at both Gooseberry and Little Creek are 1 ride affairs, meaning by the time we're done, we're done for and there won't be a 2nd ride that day. FWIW, our group is reasonably fit riders between the ages of 45-60 and ride this area twice a year. There is nothing at Goose or Little Creek that we can't ride "cleanly".

Most of the other trails are shorter length and you can definitely do 2 (or more really wanted to) or more in a day. We do the JEM Trail out and back plus Guacamole in one day, Zen and Barrel Roll in one day, etc...the exception to that would be if you do the JEM, Goulds, Hurricane Loop.

Clayton and the guys at Over the Edge can hook you up with a ride, maps and all the local trail knowledge you could ever desire. They also run a shop ride to somewhere new every week and the pace is very good (above average IMO). I can't say enough good things about the shop or everybody that works there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you hit everything on Gooseberry including an out and back on Gander you will be riding a minimum of 4 hours. Plan on 5+ if you are not racer-fit. That means riding Gander, Windmill, Bowls and Ledges, Practice Loop, North Rim, South Rim, Hidden Canyon, Point Loop and Secret. Depending on how you design your loop you can hit some of these both ways if you want more mileage. They really do feel like different trails in the other direction.

If you are still hungry for more you can tie in Gander with the Grafton Mesa Singletrack. But most riders will be hammered after riding everything on the Gooseberry side of the mesa.

mtbr member

Lots of good info here. Thank you so much.

My next thing to figure out is trails for me and the mrs. I'd say she's an advanced beginner. I've dragged her all over on vacations and she's managed pretty good. She's done Guacamole and Thunder Mtn and is smart enough to walk when she's over her head. She doesn't like exposure, but was able tolerate some of Guacamole side trails up next to the cliff. She just had to walk some.

So with that intro, on my list for the week is obviously Guacamole. Then I'm thinking a JEM loop riding up from Virgin. Prospector/Church Rocks sounds like another good one. I might drag her up to Gooseberry or Little Creek for an easier 1-2 hr ride.

Any other trails I should take the wife on?

mtbr member
    When you leave Virgin, the JEM will have some exposure for about 1/2 mile but it's fine after that. There are definitely portions of Gooseberry and Little Creek that have some exposure but you'd have to really mess up to be in any danger. I like Prospector & Church Rocks and I'm sure she could handle Zen & Barrel Roll if she's done Thunder Mtn. For that matter, the exposure/hairpin turns towards the end of Thunder Mtn are more sketchy that anything at JEM or Goose IMO.

mtbr member

I'll preride Zen with the guys earlier in the week and then decide if it's doable for her.

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by all day but for me and my riding companions, the loops we do at both Gooseberry and Little Creek are 1 ride affairs, meaning by the time we're done, we're done for and there won't be a 2nd ride that day. FWIW, our group is reasonably fit riders between the ages of 45-60 and ride this area twice a year. There is nothing at Goose or Little Creek that we can't ride "cleanly".

Most of the other trails are shorter length and you can definitely do 2 (or more really wanted to) or more in a day. We do the JEM Trail out and back plus Guacamole in one day, Zen and Barrel Roll in one day, etc...the exception to that would be if you do the JEM, Goulds, Hurricane Loop.

Clayton and the guys at Over the Edge can hook you up with a ride, maps and all the local trail knowledge you could ever desire. They also run a shop ride to somewhere new every week and the pace is very good (above average IMO). I can't say enough good things about the shop or everybody that works there.

Wow, thanks for the info! Definitely gonna call/rent from OTE. Checking into shops at ST.G.
    Sounds like we can get a nice intro to St.G in a day and a half. Then make 4-5 hour (all day) rides out of JEM/Gould Hurricane Loop, Gooseberry, and Little Creek.
    I think I'm beginning to get my bearings a bit. Awesome thread!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    for people planning on renting, have you checked on prices? when we were there, we looked @ demoing a Warden & it was $95 a day. i don't know what other bikes were renting for, but i would think pretty spendy.
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Re: St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner

Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    for people planning on renting, have you checked on prices? when we were there, we looked @ demoing a Warden & it was $95 a day. i don't know what other bikes were renting for, but i would think pretty spendy.
    I think they are $50 a day at OTE.

Football44
    So, what's better: condo in St. George or hotel in Hurricane? I've been told that Hurricane is much more peaceful, but lacks the amenities of St. G.
    Chime in with any opinion you have.

mtbr member
    If we are doing a quick weekend trip we usually just go for a cheap hotel in st George, but if we are doing several days or a week we prefer a condo in the green valley area. Lots of them in the sports village.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hurricane is a 20-30 minute drive. Pretty quiet town. Add 20-25 to St George. As for amenities, St. George has 1 bar I think. More restaurants and a bunch of trails around the town. Zen is fun and tough, climbers trail. Last time I ate in Hurricane the pizza was good.
    DON'T use the backcountry byway north of Gooseberry to Springdale, was in terrible shape in September unless you have high clearance truck. It rained hard 1 week before.
    agmtb

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    DON'T use the backcountry byway north of Gooseberry to Springdale, was in terrible shape in September unless you have high clearance truck. It rained hard 1 week before.
    We're staying in Virgin in a couple of months. I was wondering about using that road. The last time I went to Goose I took that route in my 4x4 truck, but my friend's family was in his minivan. Needless to say they weren't too happy with my route choice. Haha

Would it be faster just to drive all the way around from Virgin? I still have a 4x4 so could tackle either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I drove crybaby hill (the road abe is talking about) last weekend. It was in good shape. By good, I mean at no point was I in sphincter-puckering fear for my life. Maybe a little nervous, but not sphincter-puckering fear. That is the best that can ever be said for that road.

mtbr member
    There is also a dirt road that cuts across from Virgin the Hwy 59 which negates the need to go down to La Verkin and thru Hurricane to get to Goose.

Football44
    Thanks for all the info everybody. The trip is set: 2 days of riding in StG and 3 days in Hurricane. Rented a condo in Green Valley, bike rentals at Red Rock and OTE. Really looking forward to it.
    Maybe if I post up a couple of weeks before our trip (March 29-April 2) we might get be able to hook up with someone who is familiar with the trails? Nothing worse than wasting time trying to find the good stuff (although it all looks like good stuff).
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    I drove crybaby hill (the road abe is talking about) last weekend. It was in good shape. By good, I mean at no point was I in sphincter-puckering fear for my life. Maybe a little nervous, but not sphincter-puckering fear. That is the best that can ever be said for that road.
    Drove my Corolla up it last year. It was challenging, took us 4 attempts at crux. I'll go the long way next time.

mtbr member
    So, what's better: condo in St. George or hotel in Hurricane? I've been told that Hurricane is much more peaceful, but lacks the amenities of St. G.
    Chime in with any opinion you have.
    Condo is almost always better than a hotel to *me*. That being said, Hurricane has everything you could possible need and is closer to the marquee trails of Gooseberry, JEM and Little Creek.

I'm leaving in 3 days and we're staying in a condo in St George...with 10 minutes of Zen, Barrel Roll and Suicidal Tendicies

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info everybody. The trip is set: 2 days of riding in StG and 3 days in Hurricane. Rented a condo in Green Valley, bike rentals at Red Rock and OTE. Really looking forward to it.
    Maybe if I post up a couple of weeks before our trip (March 29-April 2) we might get be able to hook up with someone who is familiar with the trails? Nothing worse than wasting time trying to find the good stuff (although it all looks like good stuff).
    Thanks again!
    While you will be a few minute's drive from Hurricane trails, the condo in Green Valley, (Sports Village or possibly one of the other complexes nearby), gets you the ability to roll out the door with your bike while the rest of the family might still be happily sleeping.
    Ride right down the hill to Zen trailhead, or up and over past the water tank to Three fingers and BCP/Stucki, A little farther and you are on all of the GV race course trails which connect you over to the entire Santa Clara Preserve trail system via singletrack.
    Also, not sure if you are aware that you will be there for the weekend OTE is having their big bash for the year. Demos, Food, Guided rides, etc. All happening 3/27-3/29.
    I should be down there the preceeding week, but have to leave before everything gets going at OTE.

Cynical Chump
    Since I'm in Hurricane, thought I'd give a road update:

Road to Guac is good (my friends said "as good as we have ever seen it"). No problem getting up in 2WD pickup; could probably do it in passenger vehicle too. No dust, slightly wet/slick in the shady sections (just maintain your momentum uphill). No ruts to speak of (looks like it was graded recently).

Road to Gooseberry (from Hwy 59): Good shape. Was very muddy recently, but it's dried out, and there are good smooth doubletracks to follow now. No problem in 2WD truck. I would hate to take a car up this, but people do it, and it's doable now.

Trails are amazing now, and empty.

mtbr member
    I just returned as well and will piggy back what DaveBro said in regard to the trails....they are in perfect condition and amazingly empty. We did (5) rides over (4) days and saw very few people. We saw (2) other riders on the Zen Trail, (2) on the new Boy Scout Trails, about 10 out on JEM and **ZERO** other riders on Gooseberry Mesa.

Perpetual n00b
    We saw about a dozen people out on Prospector and Church Rocks. Excellent conditions. Flowers are starting to bloom and even saw some green grass. In the desert of all places!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Can anyone update on trail conditions? ie bearclaw, gooseberry, graton? Coming down this weekend and want to make sure it isn't too wet.

mtbr member
    Call Over the Edge at 435-635-5455. There are very helpful and always eager to keep you off wet trails!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Gooseberry and Grafton are fine. We are expecting some rain this weekend, but goose should still fine to ride as long as you can get up the road. The new stuff at Quail is fine in the rain too.

I haven't been to bearclaw in a while, but it should be in perfect packed down shape from the rain/snow on Monday.

Football44
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurkinite View Post
    Gooseberry and Grafton are fine. We are expecting some rain this weekend, but goose should still fine to ride as long as you can get up the road. The new stuff at Quail is fine in the rain too.

I haven't been to bearclaw in a while, but it should be in perfect packed down shape from the rain/snow on Monday.
    Question: we're coming out at the end of March and renting a mid-sized SUV. If the road to Gooseberry is sketchy, is it possible to simply ride the bikes up the road? If so, what does that do to the total time required to ride the mesa?

mtbr member
    Question: we're coming out at the end of March and renting a mid-sized SUV. If the road to Gooseberry is sketchy, is it possible to simply ride the bikes up the road? If so, what does that do to the total time required to ride the mesa?
    Sure, you could ride your bike up if you had to but if it's so muddy that your SUV won't go up, going up on a bike would be a nightmare. The overwhelming odds are that you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Can anyone recommend a good place to camp in this area? We will be in Utah for the next 2 weeks, splitting our time between the Moab and SG / Zion areas. First time down there and not really sure what to expect.

Thanks very much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good place to camp in this area? We will be in Utah for the next 2 weeks, splitting our time between the Moab and SG / Zion areas. First time down there and not really sure what to expect.

Thanks very much.
    Are you going to be tenting it or sleeping in a trailer? I wouldn't want to use the same camp to ride out of st. George and Moab. I would have a camp near Moab or in moab and then move down to the St George area when you ride those trails. For the st. George trails I think I would camp at the guacamole trailhead.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Plan is to tent if the weather stays reasonably warm. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you want to tent it for FREE, most people go up and camp at Gooseberry. There are numerous "designated" spots where people have built up fire pits and cleared out flat areas. I've never camped up there but a buddy of mine showed me where he camped last time. They were along the Windmill trail and their campsite was right along the edge of the cliff (in a good way). The problem with camping on Gooseberry is going up and down the road when you want to ride somewhere else. Not a big deal for some but not my cup of tea.

There are a few PAY campgrounds in Hurricane, check the other thread on this exact topic, and that's where I would stay because they are more centrally located to all the trails which are spread out over the area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Going to have my wife and kids with me. We are not looking to dirt-bag it at free sites. Would rather pay for a spot closer to the trails and with a few more ammenities.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Check out Utah State Parks, Sand Hollow State Park, just west of Hurricane. It has a campground with amenities. Also has one for ATVers. Its on the web.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by sidehiller1 View Post
    Check out Utah State Parks, Sand Hollow State Park, just west of Hurricane. It has a campground with amenities. Also has one for ATVers. Its on the web.
    Linky: Sand Hollow State Park | Utah State Parks
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How is it in St.George around spring break? Looking for an alternative to Moab that would have a little bit of kid friendly riding thats not quite so crazy busy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfire55 View Post
    How is it in St.George around spring break? Looking for an alternative to Moab that would have a little bit of kid friendly riding thats not quite so crazy busy.
    I have NEVER seen ANY trail in the St George/Hurricane/Virgin area "crowded". During the Fat Tire Festival and some group rides on saturdays, I have seen groups of 20-25 people but once they go by (if you even see them), you won't see another 20 people total all day. I know it's not what you asked but I was out there Feb 4-7 and didn't see 10 other riders in (4) days of riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    We were camping up on gooseberry mesa for most of last week. Not many people around and the riding was fantastic. I took my 13 year old daughter on the north rim trail and she did great. Rode gander trail a bunch of times and loved it. There is a bike festival coming up soon, check with ote for details

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    We were camping up on gooseberry mesa for most of last week. Not many people around and the riding was fantastic. I took my 13 year old daughter on the north rim trail and she did great. Rode gander trail a bunch of times and loved it. There is a bike festival coming up soon, check with ote for details
    Did you by chance ride anything that an 8 year old could ride, mostly flat with nothing more than a few miles total?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyfire55 View Post
    Did you by chance ride anything that an 8 year old could ride, mostly flat with nothing more than a few miles total?
    More cowbell over by Jem is pretty easy scenic ride. Or if you have gooseberry in mind the double track jeep trail is easy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes. There is a trail called the practice loop up on gooseberry. It is fairly flat slickrock. My girl doesn't ride and she did fine.

K&K

Dispersed camping.

...There are numerous "designated" spots where people have built up fire pits and cleared out flat areas. ... They were along the Windmill trail and their campsite was right along the edge of the cliff (in a good way).
    Just got back from Hurricane. If you are self-sufficient, there are fabulous "dispersed camping" opportunities at Gooseberry. Spent two nights right on the rim, yards from the trail, with no neighbors both nights. Couldn't have been more ideal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't have time to look through every post in the thread, so sorry if it's been covered, but I could use some info on camping and non-mtb activities. Obviously the parks will be worth a visit, but are there any worthy hikes for the woman and child to do near the trails - or are the bike trails suitable for hiking, too? Other activities they can do while I ride? What about camping, anything free or cheap or more awesome than anywhere else, or right near any of the trails (first time, so plan on sampling the must-do rides for 4 days) Any decent swim holes in mid-May to get the grime off?

Football44
    Thanks for all the advice! We had an awesome trip. Here's the write-up:

Travels with Pops

Warning: I didn't have a good experience with Red Rock Cycles.

mtbr member
    Sounds like there were a few of us there last week. I too just got back from a week in Virgin. I had a blast. I rode the "must do" rides. The only disappointment was Bearclaw Poppy. Just meh after riding Zen.

Thanks again for all the advice and intel. It sure helped.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the advice! We had an awesome trip. Here's the write-up:

Travels with Pops

Warning: I didn't have a good experience with Red Rock Cycles.
    Great ride report! You took more and much better pictures than I did.

Your trail experiences pretty much mirror mine. I didn't ride quite as much in St. George. I only had time to ride Zen and Bearclaw Poppy.

I was able to ride Gooseberry and Guacamole twice. Once with "the guys" and a second time with my wife and son. My wife loved Guacamole and my son loved Gooseberry.

Here's my favorite pic of the trip. This was taken as we were going up Dead Ringer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtssogood View Post
    I don't have time to look through every post in the thread, so sorry if it's been covered, but I could use some info on camping and non-mtb activities. Obviously the parks will be worth a visit, but are there any worthy hikes for the woman and child to do near the trails - or are the bike trails suitable for hiking, too? Other activities they can do while I ride? What about camping, anything free or cheap or more awesome than anywhere else, or right near any of the trails (first time, so plan on sampling the must-do rides for 4 days) Any decent swim holes in mid-May to get the grime off?
    Both Guacamole and Gooseberry have camping at the trailhead. I'm sure those areas offer worthy hikes, just for the views alone.

I saw quite a few people camping off Kolob Terrace Rd. about a mile or two from Hwy 9. It looked like a primitive campground on a creek. I noticed an outhouse. No riding from that campground though.

There was also camping off Mesa Rd. in Virgin. It'll take you away from the riding areas, but one spot we stopped at was right there on the cliff's edge. Big spot. Incredible views.

Oh. And we saw some nut with a tent pitched on a slab rock 1 ft. from the cliff above the Virgin at the bottom of Cryptobionic trail in the JEM area. Hopefully he doesn't sleepwalk.

From my inexperienced eye, the Virgin River and all the creeks seemed really low for early Spring. The Virgin had enough water to cool off in though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm heading down with a crew on May 13th - 20th. We have a good itinerary from the intel here, but I was wondering if Little Creek is any better marked than say a year ago? My buddies rode it with the OTE guys but said it would have been tough to wayfind without them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    I'm heading down with a crew on May 13th - 20th. We have a good itinerary from the intel here, but I was wondering if Little Creek is any better marked than say a year ago? My buddies rode it with the OTE guys but said it would have been tough to wayfind without them.
    Nope. It is marked as well as BLM will allow. And the few existing cairns may or may not be leading you correctly. I have come across more than one person wandering trying to find their way out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    We'll be back out the 14th thru the 17th of May. We have never ridden Little Creek with a guide and we always find our way out just fine, though admittedly I'm the 'follower' out there. The **key** is to stop by OTE and just point blank ask Quentin to schedule Little Creek as the Saturday ride on the 16th and then you'll be totally safe on all accounts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Gonna be out there in a couple weeks with the fam. Any suggestions for rides with nearby activities (hiking.swimming,park, etc.) for Mom and 4yo son? I've never ridden that area, and I'm hoping to get in 2-3 half day rides, but don't want to leave them stranded with nothing to do for a few hours while I'm being selfish.

pedlr
    I was there a year ago, stayed in Virgin and Springdale, family had no trouble entertaining themselves in Springdale and Zion while I was out riding.

mtbr member
    Whats up everyone!

I run a Facebook group, https://www.facebook.com/groups/788137317888507/ that would be a good place to ask the locals about where to ride. Check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Gonna be out there in a couple weeks with the fam. Any suggestions for rides with nearby activities (hiking.swimming,park, etc.) for Mom and 4yo son? I've never ridden that area, and I'm hoping to get in 2-3 half day rides, but don't want to leave them stranded with nothing to do for a few hours while I'm being selfish.
    Nearby is Zion National Park. Also Springdale at Zion's entrance is such a beautiful town, Sedona would be jealous. Don't take a 4 year old up Angel's Landing but Weeping Rock will captivate your wife and child.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Maybe consider doing it the other way? Have them drop you off at a given trailhead and leave you stranded for a few hours while they go and play and do what they want.
    Several trailheads would work well with this.
    In the St George area, the Green valley trailhead gets you access to the entire green valley area, Zen, Bearclaw Poppy (with three fingers in between), and even access out to Stucki Springs and over to the Santa Clara preserve area.
    Or out at the Santa Clara preserve trailhead you have all of the trails out there. Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies, Rim Runner/Reaper, etc.
    Both of those keep them a short drive from Snow canyon, Ivins (Anazazi Petroglyphs), and anything in the actual St George Area.
    In Hurricane, there are several trailheads near the Hurricane gorge that are either part of or tied to the JEM trail system. They could be hiking around the gorge while you are doing a longer ride, or dropping off, they are not far from Hurricane or Zions, which would be the same for Guacamole, which is right on the way to Zions from Hurricane.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Nearby is Zion National Park. Also Springdale at Zion's entrance is such a beautiful town, Sedona would be jealous. Don't take a 4 year old up Angel's Landing but Weeping Rock will captivate your wife and child.
    Sounds like Angel's Landing is the hike to do, was hoping to do it. Possible to put the kid in a backpack for the sketchy parts, or should I just forget it? We're used to taking him hiking, but never know how overcautious the Park warnings are. Same question would apply to the Narrows (he would be in a life jacket).

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    How long does it take to get to Gooseberry from springdale? From what I can tell it's a rough road, but don't see any info on how long it takes to drive. Better to camp there and drive to Zion or other rides (I'll probably only ride it once), or camp elsewhere (closer to Zion?) and drive to the trailhead? I'm talking BLM camping, and trying to be relatively close to Zion, as we'll be spending most of our time checking out the park, not primarily riding bikes (damn it).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds like Angel's Landing is the hike to do, was hoping to do it. Possible to put the kid in a backpack for the sketchy parts, or should I just forget it? We're used to taking him hiking, but never know how overcautious the Park warnings are. Same question would apply to the Narrows (he would be in a life jacket).
    My wife is wary of heights and will not do the complete Angel's Landing hike. But, she'll go to the Scout's Lookout area just below where it gets scary, and that is a fine destination too. That said, I still don't think I'd bring a 4 year old up that trail. There are some areas with exposure along the way. Maybe it'd be fine, and I'd imagine it depends on the kid, but I'd probably stick with something with less tragic consequences for stepping off the trail. Here's a video of the trail:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FY47LEfEG4

I have only hiked the Narrows in the fall and it was fun but tiring because you're hiking in the bottom of a river and it's slippery. We hiked from the bottom up as described here:
    From the Bottom Up - Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am thinking about heading down to ride either Gooseberry or Guacamole this weekend but am watching the weather closely. I have only ridden Guacamole previously and loved it, so I've been looking forward to trying Gooseberry.

I was hoping to arrive Friday night and camp two nights while I'm down there. Since the first part of the weekend looks wetter, I'm now considering making it a shorter trip, arriving mid day Saturday and just camping one night. Anyone care to speculate as to whether the chance of rain over the next few days will kill my plans? My plan B is to head to Moab if it's drier, but it looks like it may rain there too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by outback97 View Post
    I am thinking about heading down to ride either Gooseberry or Guacamole this weekend but am watching the weather closely. I have only ridden Guacamole previously and loved it, so I've been looking forward to trying Gooseberry.

I was hoping to arrive Friday night and camp two nights while I'm down there. Since the first part of the weekend looks wetter, I'm now considering making it a shorter trip, arriving mid day Saturday and just camping one night. Anyone care to speculate as to whether the chance of rain over the next few days will kill my plans? My plan B is to head to Moab if it's drier, but it looks like it may rain there too.
    You could ride Prospector/Church Rocks the day it rains. They are good when a bit wet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You could ride Prospector/Church Rocks the day it rains. They are good when a bit wet.
    Thanks, sounds like good advice. Consistent with this post earlier in the thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/st-georg...l#post10819751

I called OTE and they pretty much said if you can get to Gooseberry and Guacamole, you can ride the trails. I'll have to watch the weather and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thinking about planning a trip for Father's Day but I'm curious what the weather is like on Gooseberry Mesa that time of year?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nefariousvw View Post
    Thinking about planning a trip for Father's Day but I'm curious what the weather is like on Gooseberry Mesa that time of year?
    There is no telling. We just got back yesterday and I expected temps in the 80's but we were in the 60's with rain (luckily at night) on thursday and friday. We rode Church Rocks and the Boy Scout Trails while they were wet and had ZERO issues. As a matter of fact, the Boy Scout Trails may be better when wet. Saturday was in the lows 60's with a breeze on top of Gooseberry and I actually started out with an Under Armour 'cold gear' jersey. Sunday was PERFECT and everything we rode was 100% dry.

Worst case scenario, you can ride early and then again later in the evening to avoid the heat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Planning a trip to Gooseberry this Saturday with about 6 others from Vegas. Rain is expected and need a good plan B if the road is bad getting to Gooseberry. We want to be mindful of your local trails and not damage any after the rains. So far we have Zen trail and surrounding trails as a plan B. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

NEVERMIND FOUND THIS:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/utah/st-georg...l#post10819751

mtbr member
    Getting to Zen won't be a problem and some of the trail is slickrock, but depending on timing and quantity of rainfall it may not be rideable.
    Church Rocks combined with Cottonwood trail is a great option when weather is wet. Though not on the level of ride with either Gooseberry or Zen as far as length or difficulty, it's a fun trail.

Formerly of Kent
    Anyone know where this picture was taken? Says Hurricane, but I can't figure out what trail.

https://stwww.bikemag.com/files/2011...280x800-04.jpg
    Death from Below.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Anyone know where this picture was taken? Says Hurricane, but I can't figure out what trail.

It looks like Church Rocks to me.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Cactus Cuddler
    I was there last week with the plan of riding Gooseberry Mesa, but rolling in the day after that snowstorm in an RV had to 'settle' for JEM-Dead Ringer, but that was seriously awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    It looks like Church Rocks to me.
    That's not anywhere I have been when I have ridden Church Rocks.
    I agree the rock formations look like the area. Maybe they're off trail somewhere?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

looks like Snow Canyon, which, would probably be illegal riding. could be why the caption wasn't more place specific.
    just guessing
    breezy shade

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I was there last week with the plan of riding Gooseberry Mesa, but rolling in the day after that snowstorm in an RV had to 'settle' for JEM-Dead Ringer, but that was seriously awesome.
    JEM is like a magic carpet. It's not the most technical thing you'll ever hit, but riding it, particularly under a full moon, is a pretty cool experience. Two wheel drifting through corners at speed? Yes, please.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

Yes, Church Rocks. I asked this question when this shot first came out in Bike magazine a year or two ago. Apparently it's not a trail, just a staged photo op from what I was told. Cool photo though. Too bad that trail doesn't come from anywhere or lead to anywhere.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Cactus Cuddler
    Two wheel drifting through corners at speed? Yes, please.
    Yes, it was absolutely awesome. Probably helped with how mind alteringly enjoyable it was I was riding the trail blind. The one-way section by Hwy9 especially, I pedaled up to bonus lap that section. The odd 2' booters up near the More Cowbell area were comparably exciting, especially in iffy sunset light.

Formerly of Kent
    I'm going to get out there for a couple of days after Christmas. Maybe a week. Depends on weather. Basically, we'll go where the sun is shining and the ground is dry-ish.

Hoping to hit Guacamole again, and Gooseberry for the first time, and get over the StG/Santa Clara as well. Guacamole was the first and only time I've ridden "slickrock", and the amount of traction was borderline disconcerting. Barrel Roll looks awesome.

My wife's cousin/my best friend just got married, and they live in Springdale, so we're hoping to bum some floor space, or just a place to lay out a tent.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Heading out to Hurricane next weekend. Does anybody know if they got more rain/snow this weekend. I know it was raining last week and looked pretty windy from a video OTE posted today on the FB feed.

Hoping to ride some mesas (Guac or Goose) but would be content with the Quail Creek Boy Scout loops and church rocks if they have snow/mud.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Heading out to Hurricane next weekend.
    You might find the mesas have some damp areas, but rideable.

Everything around town is good to go.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right View Post

Hell yes!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    How about JEM?

mtbr member

Nice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gleeballs View Post
    How about JEM?
    JEM is probably the only trail that is iffy. Down in the washes you could still see some mud.

I have not been up there to see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    If JEM is a no go can u recommend another fast flow trail that would good to go.

mtbr member
    If JEM is a no go can u recommend another fast flow trail that would good to go.
    Prospector, Quail Creek trail, Stucki would all be viable options. They are the same but different.

mtbr member
    Prospector, Quail Creek trail, Stucki would all be viable options. They are the same but different.
    I would not put Quail Creek Trails (Scout Trails) and Flow in the same book, much less the same sentence.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    I would not put Quail Creek Trails (Scout Trails) and Flow in the same book, much less the same sentence.
    It's all perspective. I have listened to guys talk about the flow on Zen, to me that's a reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    It's all perspective. I have listened to guys talk about the flow on Zen, to me that's a reach.
    So. Much. Flow.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    So. Much. Flow.

I get it.
    How about church rocks-prospector-Dino cliffs. How does it stack up.

Point is I just got a Yeti SB6. And want too see if I can get it up to speed and push it to see if I like the build kit that I bought (SRAM GX Build). So I am trying to find a suitable trail for this

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I get it.
    How about church rocks-prospector-Dino cliffs. How does it stack up.

Point is I just got a Yeti SB6. And want too see if I can get it up to speed and push it to see if I like the build kit that I bought (SRAM GX Build). So I am trying to find a suitable trail for this
    Church Rocks/Prospector is great when its wet, or anytime really. Though, it's not one where you test out your brand new 6" travel bike. JEM really isnt a 6" travel bike trail either though.

If you lean a bit more towards downhill, id go to Green Valley. There a some nice downhills you can open up and get some speed. Plus you can do Zen while you are there.

If you are more all mountain, id go to Santa Clara and hit Barrel Roll + Sidewinder + Suicidal Tendencies (if I had time) + all of the Rim trails. This has the greatest variety of trails.

If you have lots of energy, you could start in Bloomington, ride to Santa Clara, then to Green Valley, then back down to Bloomington.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Church Rocks/Prospector is great when its wet, or anytime really. Though, it's not one where you test out your brand new 6" travel bike. JEM really isnt a 6" travel bike trail either though.

If you lean a bit more towards downhill, id go to Green Valley. There a some nice downhills you can open up and get some speed. Plus you can do Zen while you are there.

If you are more all mountain, id go to Santa Clara and hit Barrel Roll + Sidewinder + Suicidal Tendencies (if I had time) + all of the Rim trails. This has the greatest variety of trails.

If you have lots of energy, you could start in Bloomington, ride to Santa Clara, then to Green Valley, then back down to Bloomington.
    Sounds good. Thanks for the info

Formerly of Kent
    So, it looks like it's supposed to be raining over all of southern UT, northern AZ for the 5th, 6th and 7th.

Church Rocks, Prospector, Dino seem to be the hot ticket for that set of conditions. Anything else that comes to mind?

What about the trails in Quail Creek State Park? Babylon and Little Purgatory loop?

I don't want to be the dude from out of town that is ruining everyone's favorite trail when I get caught out in the rain.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 01-01-2016 at 03:34 PM.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Turtle wall, chuckawala & paradise rim from the chuckawala trailhead all could be options as well.
    Lots of zen is on slickrock and relatively sandy soil as well, and that would be a great trail for your sb6. But I would not go there if things are very wet.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    I rode GoudsRim/Dead Ringer/Cryptobionic/Hurricane Rim today. All the trails were in perfect condition. A few short skiffs of snow on a couple North facing bits but the temps were in the 20s so no mud. Everything else was dry.

Another vote for Zen to test out your SB6. Good techy climbing bits and a fun fast rough descent. Add Barrels on for more fun descending with opportunities to open it up with the added bonus of some features if you're so inclined.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I rode GoudsRim/Dead Ringer/Cryptobionic/Hurricane Rim today. All the trails were in perfect condition. A few short skiffs of snow on a couple North facing bits but the temps were in the 20s so no mud. Everything else was dry.

Another vote for Zen to test out your SB6. Good techy climbing bits and a fun fast rough descent. Add Barrels on for more fun descending with opportunities to open it up with the added bonus of some features if you're so inclined.
    Yup I think Barrels and Zen it is. It looks like I could hook up Barrels with the GV Race DH is that right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    All this Zen trail talk made it impossible for me to ride anything else today. It was fantastic. One day I'm gonna clean it all.

mtbr member
    I rode Gooseberry Mesa Saturday January 2nd. The rode going up was perfect. No dust, no mud. A few spots were frozen so might get a little sloppy if the weather warms up.

The trails were in good shape also. Some shady spots had just a skiff of snow and ice but all very rideable. .....for now.

Looking at the weather for this week it looks like 3-4 days of rain in Hurricane so who knows for the mesas.

mtbr member
    Can someone local give an update once the rain/snow stops later this week? I was hoping to come down that way on Tuesday for a few days, but it sounds like it won't make much sense given all the moisture on the trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    sounds like it won't make much sense given all the moisture on the trails.
    It's been raining almost continually for three days, your options will be severely limited. Maybe Prospector to Church Rocks on Saturday if the rain stops on Friday.

Formerly of Kent
    Very strange reports on wunderground of late. I've seen <1", 5-8", and 3-5" of snow for the same station in Hurricane today.

And yet, it hasn't been below 40 degrees, let alone snowing at that station at any time I've checked. Anyone know the ground truth?

I'm expecting to be riding Prospector/Church rocks until things dry out, but I'd REALLY like to get in some Zen as well as some JEM area rides in the next week. The conflicting and confusing reports of "snow" from weather stations aren't helping in that regard.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    There's no snow in hurricane at this point. That being said it is supposed to drop in temp over the next few days and we may see a dusting of snow but doubtful. Zen and Church Rocks are definitely the best when we're wet. Call Over The Edge Spots in Hurricane to get the latest info on trails out near hurricane. They're good peeps.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks guys. I wouldn't be coming down until Tuesday, and I'd ride We'd/Thu/Fri.

If I do end up making the drive and any of you guys wants to join me and photo**** a little bit, I'd love to ride with some locals. If not next week, then definitely in the next 3-4 weeks for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Update: as of this morning there was a small amount of snow in Leeds/Hurricane area

mtbr member
    Over the Edge is posting photos other FB page of what looks like 3-4 inches of snow on the JEM Trail and who knows how much on Gooseberry Mesa. They are suggesting Boy Scout for now and maybe Zen/Prospector when the snow stops and then Hurricane Rim and Barrel Roll this weekend.

mtbr member
    Any updates on things drying/melting out down there? What do you guys think will be rideable by Wednesday?

Formerly of Kent
    Went for a ride from Springdale to a bit past Virgin, then up the Kolob Reservoir Road a bit, then back yesterday. Saw several cars pull out of the Sheep Bridge area on my way back, bikes COVERED in red mud on their racks in back.

JEM and like trails are probably off limits for a few more days. Prospector, Church Rocks and Zen were all good to go, per OTE, as of Friday.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Prospector and church rocks were as good as they get yesterday. With so many riders on it the last few days it was almost like pavement. The sandy section was easy too.

Horses may have chewed op the section from Harrisburg to the main trailhead though. I didn't ride that part because of time constraints.

mtbr member
    Think the Zen and Barrel Roll trail systems will be OK in the next day or two? What about Hurricane Rim?

(sorry for the questions, but I really want to leave snow-covered Colorado and come down there for a few days this week)

mtbr member
    Think the Zen and Barrel Roll trail systems will be OK in the next day or two? What about Hurricane Rim?

(sorry for the questions, but I really want to leave snow-covered Colorado and come down there for a few days this week)
    Zen and Barrel, yes. Not sure on Hurricane Rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    OK cool... from the posts on OTE's Facebook page, it sounds like the snow is already gone from Hurricane Rim and JEM, and there should be plenty to ride on Wed/Thu/Fri this week.

If anyone wants to meet up for a ride or two, shoot me a PM.

Formerly of Kent
    Just rode a couple laps on Zen. Fun trail. Very different from my standard east coast trails, where the singletrack is a very easy to pick out black ribbon through the woods. Had to stop at or near the top each time, then double back several times. Very rarely felt like I was under biked on my ASRc.

Walked about a mile on/parallel to the JEM this morning. Soggy.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Rode Barrel Roll - Sidewinder - Suicidal Tendencies this morning/afternoon and everything is in perfect shape. What a great 15 mile ride so close to town!

mtbr member
    Love that ride...get over to Zen. It's even better!!

Rode Barrel Roll - Sidewinder - Suicidal Tendencies this morning/afternoon and everything is in perfect shape. What a great 15 mile ride so close to town!

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Love that ride...get over to Zen. It's even better!!
    Speaking of Zen.
    I rode it today for the first time. It certainly lived up to the hype. Encompasses every aspect of riding. Can't wait to get back and make some more laps on it.

Quick question though. After I finished the downhill I ended up on a dirt road that lead me to a substation. I followed that back to my car at the start of the trail. Did I miss a turn that would have put me on a trail that leads back to the start

mtbr member
    Speaking of Zen.
    I rode it today for the first time. It certainly lived up to the hype. Encompasses every aspect of riding. Can't wait to get back and make some more laps on it.

Quick question though. After I finished the downhill I ended up on a dirt road that lead me to a substation. I followed that back to my car at the start of the trail. Did I miss a turn that would have put me on a trail that leads back to the start
    Well assuming you parked where we do off the end of Canyon View Dr and started riding up COUNTER clockwise as we do, on the last downhill singletrack section, there is a left turn *about* 100 yards up from the bottom. It is easy to miss (we missed it the 1st time and double backed to find it) and unless changed, is only marked by a small cairn. You then follow the cairns over a rocky slab section (similar to Little Creek) before it hooks up with a mostly dirt single track again. You then work your way across the bottom to complete your loop. It seems like a straight line on a map but in reality, it's a challenging and very fun little section.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Zen.

Sadly, yes, a very easy to miss left turn where you headed down to the double track. Some great slickrock like sections and one of the chunkiest downhill sections and a bunch of ups and downs.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    Sadly, yes, a very easy to miss left turn where you headed down to the double track. Some great slickrock like sections and one of the chunkiest downhill sections and a bunch of ups and downs.
    Damn that sucks I missed that. Next time

Thanks

mtbr member
    Two buddies and I are planning a trip to Moab for the first April and plan to stop off in St George, and hopefully meet a couple more friends, for two riding days on our way home to San Diego. We would like to hit Gooseberry Mesa at least one day and then either JEM-Hurricane Loop or trails around St George the other day. Jem or St George? Zen? Any other suggestions?

mtbr member
    I would say Santa Clara preserve trails over JEM area, but that's just me. Boy Scout trail for some short and chunky technical stuff and don't miss zen.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Two buddies and I are planning a trip to Moab for the first April and plan to stop off in St George, and hopefully meet a couple more friends, for two riding days on our way home to San Diego. We would like to hit Gooseberry Mesa at least one day and then either JEM-Hurricane Loop or trails around St George the other day. Jem or St George? Zen? Any other suggestions?
    You literally can't go wrong with whatever you choose. Not sure what kind of time you have but we usually do (2) rides per day...except when we do Little Creek which works me more than any other ride out there. There is definitely no reason you couldn't do JEM in the morning, go have lunch and then hit Zen or the Boy Scout trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    skip the boy scout trails. those blow

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    skip the boy scout trails. those blow
    What is it that you dislike about them? I love them. The only complaint I get when taking people there for the 1st time is that they were more challenging than expected, especially that 1st climb if you're not in shape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    that trail system is slower then slow. if your a single speed 29 rider that likes to go .5 mph around a trail system yeah maybe otherwise that trail system blows

mtbr member
    Santa Clara & Zen are personal favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by invol2ver View Post
    that trail system is slower then slow. if your a single speed 29 rider that likes to go .5 mph around a trail system yeah maybe otherwise that trail system blows
    I rode it earlier this week, and I can see how some people might not like it. I think it's all about expectations. That trail system isn't meant to be fast and flowy, it's meant to give you a workout and test your tech skills. It's such a change of pace from other area trails like Hurricane Rim and the Santa Clara stuff.

Plus, the views are pretty great:

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I recently produced "Mountain Biking Hurricane St George - A Trails Overview For Intermediates" on YouTube. This video is for those who want to see the tread and evaluate if they have the strength and skills to ride these trails. (They probably do and I explain how.) It is not another bombing down technical terrain video. There are plenty of those on the Web now. They are mostly worthless for intermediates deciding if they want to ride the famous trails.

https://youtu.be/OSWqy014rw4
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

since 4/10/2009
    Perused this thread and didn't see it covered elsewhere. The wife and I are going to be headed to Vegas in early March for a business trip (for her, but I like to tag along). We're planning to bring our bikes so we can do as much riding as possible (already priced it out, bringing our bikes will be cheaper than renting as much as we plan to ride). It looks like the Hurricane area will be well within range for a day trip for a planned off day. We're only going to have one day available to travel that far (the rest of our riding will be in the Vegas area). I spent a whole summer living and working in southern Utah in 03, and I've visited a number of spots. My wife has never been to UT, and I want to maximize scenery and unique riding. I think Gooseberry Mesa will offer that.

I didn't start my work season until June the summer I spent there, so I don't have a good concept of conditions in early March. We'll be fairly flexible and could adjust plans to accommodate for conditions pretty much on the fly, but I'm curious what it's like in the area in early March. I saw some discussion about potentially sketchy road conditions getting to the trailhead. We've reserved a good sized 4WD SUV (we'll have to keep the bikes inside the rental, most likely), so I'm not TERRIBLY concerned about a muddy road. But I don't want to spend the day riding through muddy slop we have to deal with in a rental car and hotel room later that night.

So what say the locals? Is there a reasonable enough expectation for good conditions that I should plan for Gooseberry Mesa and just keep an eye on weather to potentially adjust plans when we arrive? Or is that a bad time of year for that particular trail, and I should consider something else at a different elevation, or with different soil, or whatever?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Harold, March can be wonderful or awful. Spring in the desert, including Vegas, often has high winds. I mean so high that you'll get blown off your bike and can't see far from the dust.

Ask about the road to the Goose at Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane when you get there. The shop is on the highway you travel toward The Goose as you leave Hurricane. They always know the trail and road conditions in the area. Weather changes fast there.

That road can be awful. I was there once when a Hummer got stuck. It will probably have deep ruts in March even if you can drive it.

There is always something to ride in the area if it has rained but if there are high winds then stay in Vegas and go to the Red Square bar in the Mandalay Bay.

:-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    If you are near Hurricane during March 18 - 20 this year then check out the Hurricane MTB Festival. Small town affair but fun!

Hurricane Mountain Bike Festival

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    Harold, March can be wonderful or awful. Spring in the desert, including Vegas, often has high winds. I mean so high that you'll get blown off your bike and can't see far from the dust.

Ask about the road to the Goose at Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane when you get there. The shop is on the highway you travel toward The Goose as you leave Hurricane. They always know the trail and road conditions in the area. Weather changes fast there.

That road can be awful. I was there once when a Hummer got stuck. It will probably have deep ruts in March even if you can drive it.

There is always something to ride in the area if it has rained but if there are high winds then stay in Vegas and go to the Red Square bar in the Mandalay Bay.

I've done things in a front-wheel-drive passenger sedan that many are afraid of with 4wd. When I lived in UT, I took my car down a couple of roads labeled "high-clearance only". I was probably a little stupid for doing so, but I was careful and was fine. I never broke anything or got myself stranded. I knew my limits and knew when it was time to park the car and hike (or ride) to my destination. I even once got the car on 2 wheels crossing a dry wash. I had a 4WD Suburban for a work truck that summer and took it to some even sketchier places. Good times. I learned a lot about driving off-road that summer.

Thanks for the tip on the high winds, though. That's definitely something to keep an eye on. I probably won't make a final decision on the bikes till the week before our trip. I think that'll give me enough time to pack and ship via Bikeflights if we go that route. We'll be there for a whole week and will have a little bit of flexibility, so if it looks like conditions will limit the number of riding days, we might leave our own bikes at home and just rent for 1 or 2 days while there, as that will be more affordable and less hassle.

And FWIW, we'll be in Vegas from March 5-11, so if conditions are good, we'll be headed to Gooseberry sometime during that stretch. Specific date will depend on conditions and what the conference schedule looks like (basically, which day of lectures she'd be willing to skip). We're arriving EARLY on March 5, and want to try to arrange a Vegas local ride that day if possible. One of my wife's old friends is a co-owner of a brewery in Henderson, so we'll be headed that direction at least one day (maybe including a ride in the area, too). If conditions are good, my wife sounds like she will also want to try for an afternoon/evening ride after her work conference stuff, too.

mtbr member
    As preston mentioned, you never know. I was there last February and we had 80+ temps all weekend. I went back in May and aside from rain, we had temps in the 50's. I've only had one trip, ever, that we couldn't get to Gooseberry Mesa and that was in April and a freak snowstorm came in.

The best part of the St George/Hurricane area is there is almost ALWAYS something that's rideable. During that freak April snowstorm I mentioned, we were riding at Church Rocks and it was a blast. The dirt there soaks up the moisture and just improved the traction.

I'm heading out there myself in 4 days. Can't wait!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    k2rider1964, I was there during the 2014 Red Bull Rampage and we had a tropical storm hit with flash flooding. Just waking out the door would knock your hair off :-) Hikers died in Zion and Rampage was delayed only a day. The Goose was inaccessible to even Hummers but a few days later we could ride anywhere.

I've walked out the door at a motel in Hurricane and couldn't see as far as the mesa bluff above OTE due to blowing dust. Palms were laying over like a hurricane? Hmm, Hurricane?

Have a great ride!! OTE is posting on Facebook that the mesas aren't ready yet but JEM may be ready in the mornings. St. George is ready.

mtbr member
    I've been out to Gooseberry December, January, February, March....you get the idea. But it's variable. OTE as mentioned is your go-to place for up to date road conditions. Even with monster ruts I've navigated it successfully (dry) with a 2wd sedan but if it's muddy that would be absolutely no good.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I've been out to Gooseberry December, January, February, March....you get the idea. But it's variable. OTE as mentioned is your go-to place for up to date road conditions. Even with monster ruts I've navigated it successfully (dry) with a 2wd sedan but if it's muddy that would be absolutely no good.
    Sounds like OTE talks about trail conditions on its Facebook page. I think I'll go ahead and follow them so I can keep abreast of things in the weeks leading up to my anticipated arrival.

Pretty stoked about this trip. My wife has been bugging me about riding out west (especially in the desert) for a number of years, but we haven't been able to find the time to make the trip. We've done plenty of trips to do destination type rides in the east recently, but we can usually only swing a few days at a time. This year she decided to try to combine a work trip with riding, before both of our schedules get busy over the summer.

We know someone with property in Crested Butte, also (who has offered to let us stay at their place - they have private, professionally-built trails there, too), and we're going to try for a more summer vacation there, but that's still very nebulous at the moment.

mtbr member
    I rode it earlier this week, and I can see how some people might not like it. I think it's all about expectations. That trail system isn't meant to be fast and flowy, it's meant to give you a workout and test your tech skills. It's such a change of pace from other area trails like Hurricane Rim and the Santa Clara stuff.

Plus, the views are pretty great:

I agree. It's a different kind of flow and a nice techy challenge here and there. Some tight switchbacks and steppy climbs. Good stuff. A nice alternative to some of the other local trails.

Great photo btw.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi all, I'm new to the forums and am planning a trip down to St. George for spring break. (March 7-12, I am so excited to escape the cold of cache valley!). Since I doubt I'll be able to get any of my friends to bike with me, I will be hitting up most of the trails by myself. I would say I am a low intermediate rider, and I ride a rockhopper HT 29er. I done some researched and plan on riding church rocks/ dino cliffs and maybe slip over to rhythm and blues one day, hit up the hurricane cliffs in the middle, and maybe hit up gooseberry mesa, although I don't know if I would really be able to ride it by myself without falling off a cliff haha. Any other trail suggestions or advice for a beginner/intermediate rider?

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Ksanman, welcome to the forum!

The following weekend is the Hurricane MTB Festival. We'll be there. Fun event if you can schedule it. Try riding the demo bikes for a different experience on the rocks.

I recently released a video on Intermediate MTB | Bike and Trails Analysis for Intermediate Mountain Bikers that explains the Hurricane and St. George trails for intermediates. I go slow and explain the challenges. Hopefully it will give you confidence to try some of the more technical trails. At least that was the goal.

I also have an analysis for the trail category bikes that may help, again for intermediates.

There are a lot of videos and reviews out there by advanced riders. I'm trying something a little different for the 80% of the market who are intermediate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thanks so much! Those videos really helped out a lot. I wish there was more information like that out there. I see differing reviews on trails everywhere on the internet. Dang! I wish spring break was a week later. I love my bike but I know someday I will reach it's downhill limits and wish for FSR.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004

You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Ksanman View Post
    Thanks so much! Those videos really helped out a lot. I wish there was more information like that out there. I see differing reviews on trails everywhere on the internet. Dang! I wish spring break was a week later. I love my bike but I know someday I will reach it's downhill limits and wish for FSR.
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, sorry you can't make the Hurricane festival. It isn't as big as the Fruita or Outerbike events but fun. The weekend before that is the Moab Thaw which is similar. I'm thinking of going to that one instead of spring Outerbike. Haven't tried Thaw yet. It is hosted by Poison Spider bike shop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anybody riding this weekend? I'm hoping to ride Gooseberry Mesa Saturday, something else Sunday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Does anyone have any good directions/info on riding Nephi's Twist. The two GPS apps that i run (trail forks and MTB Project) doe not show this trail.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any good directions/info on riding Nephi's Twist. The two GPS apps that i run (trail forks and MTB Project) doe not show this trail.
    Check out this link. Fun trail. Do it multiple times if you have a shuttle driver for best effect.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    I was going to mention but wasn't sure...typically if trailforks.com doesn't have a trail, it's due to questionable legality.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

since 4/10/2009
    My trip is coming up soon. I'll be in Vegas a week from now and will be hoping to get up to the Hurricane area sometime during the week after that. Weather looks pretty perfect for the coming week, but looks like a little cold front might be headed in around Monday-ish with some rain chances. It's an awful long way out, but I'll be keeping closer tabs on the forecast as my arrival approaches. Hopefully the effects of the cold front don't last long. :-)

A friend loaned us a pair of Thule hard-sided carriers, and as long as my Bucksaw fits (I know at least one person who has fit a Bucksaw in a Thule hard case for air travel and have pics as proof), we'll be golden.

Your Best Friend
    We're in the process of buying a house near gooseberry. Wish I was there already, I'd hook up with you for a ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We're in the process of buying a house near gooseberry. Wish I was there already, I'd hook up with you for a ride.
    Jealous. 2nd house? Or moving?

I'm probably going to call OTE once I arrive in Vegas this weekend to get some intel on the weather and trail conditions to see which trails will be my best choices. On the plus side, I'm seeing rain chances dropping pretty significantly as the forecast window narrows. On the downside, I'm seeing more rain chances popping up. Still, by tomorrow, my whole trip will be showing up in the Wunderground forecast window, so that'll help. Unfortunately, Wunderground won't tell me what's going on at higher altitudes up on the mesas, so that's where the phone call to OTE comes in. I hope conditions up high will be good. But if not, it's not a huge problem. There's plenty of good trail to choose from, as long as SOMETHING is in good shape.

Your Best Friend
    I wish a second house. We are moving there full time. Right in Apple Valley. I'll be able to ride from my front door and be on the Mesa in under 5 minutes. Not too shabby. At some point we'll be able to have a VRBO apartment for bikers. I hope the weather works out for you.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You can follow OTE Hurricane on Facebook and get frequent trail updates. I also follow their Fruita and South Lake Tahoe stores. Actually, most of my Facebook feed are bike shops :-) More interesting.

I've watched for "weather windows" for both Moab and Hurricane and gave up trusting any source. A year ago it looked like Thaw and Outerbike would be rained out but they had perfect weather. Same kind of thing happened with trips to Hurricane and Fruita. Now I just go and see what develops. St. George has some good all weather trails.

A home in Apple Valley puts you within a short hop to both the Goose and Little Creek Mesa, besides the JEM trail system. If you can brave that road from the Goose down to Rockville you can get to Guac pretty quick. There is also the thrills of Grafton Mesa. Rather strategic location!

We'll be landing at Virgin Int'l Airport on March 12th for a week there. OK, driving.

since 4/10/2009
    I wish a second house. We are moving there full time. Right in Apple Valley. I'll be able to ride from my front door and be on the Mesa in under 5 minutes. Not too shabby. At some point we'll be able to have a VRBO apartment for bikers. I hope the weather works out for you.
    Right on. The wife and I have talked a bit and we'd honestly rather buy a bunch of property somewhere near some good trails before we bought a house in the city to live in again. We got burned pretty badly in our first homebuying experience. We've been renting for a number of years now and are pretty satisfied with it in general. At this point, we would like to move, but primarily from a location standpoint. We like the general area we are in, but not the fact that we live on a busy street close by a busy fire station. That's more of a bother than living across the street from a 24hr grocery store (which is so bloody convenient, I'm be willing to deal with the windblown trash from the parking lot). But the fire trucks honking at the traffic at all hours of the night...I could REALLY do without that.

Having the rental spot for bikers is pretty awesome, too. I'll be honest that I had to look up VRBO. I'm more familiar with Airbnb.

It'll be nice to get back and ride some desert trails. It's been quite a long time. And on the plus side, I'm in better shape now, I think.

since 4/10/2009
    You can follow OTE Hurricane on Facebook and get frequent trail updates.
    Been doing that for awhile now. I see great conditions now and for the past week or so, but it doesn't tell me anything about the weather system that's heading that way.

Your Best Friend
    This house is the culmination of many years of dreaming and speculating. I am medically retiring from the Army and we felt it was time to do something new and different. We were up for moving anywhere rural and with a lot of nearby trails. We looked at the Bend area, Victor/Driggs, Durango, Salida, Morgan. Being in Utah wasn't a priority but with so many small towns near so much riding, it seems inevitable that we are staying in state. We had other requirements as well but this house and location just seemed right. I forgot about Airbnb. Hopefully within a year we'll have the apartment built and you are welcome to come stay with us. Hell, I don't mind if people bring an RV or tent and want to put it in my yard. I'm always up for riding with people. Can't wait for May when this officially becomes my home trails.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You may want to consider developing a decent campground there. Not much developed camping in the area. Zion River RV Resort charges $43 a night but has pool, hot tub, rec room, showers, a little store, and water and electricity at each of their 7 sites. Only 7 sites! Very nice except the sites are the size of a suburban driveway. Except only a little wider than single car. KOA is far and not much better. Springdale has camping in town but not all that wonderful. Surrounded by motels but it has decent shade.

If you had some shade (awning type tents), showers, toilets, someplace to wash dishes, and wind protection for those hurricane days it should be really popular and social. Start small. $25 and $35 a day. Add a little lawn or picnic table and electricity for the premium sites.

Moab has this kind of camping in the RV parks at those prices.

Your Best Friend
    I'm all about free camping. I can't see myself charging someone to throw a tent up in my yard. We do plan on having an RV pad with full hookups and a cool fire ring and shade. Not sure I'm ambitious enough to build/manage a camp area. Not a bad idea though.

mtbr member
    SF....get that apartment up and we'll come rent from you. I don't think I'll ride with you though because you look too fit and probably ride too fast for me to keep up. I guess I can follow the dots. I'm sure you know Monte from the board since he guides as well. He has an apartment over his 3 car garage over in Virgin. It's simple but very nice and he has a small pool as well. He rents it out on VRBO and it's crazy how hard it is to get in nowadays. It's a popular spot.

One of my favorite meals in all of Southern Utah is eating inside the Chevron station at Apple Valley after a greta day of riding at Goose or Little Creek. Their bacon guacamole burger after a 3-4 hour ride is fantastic!!

Not sure if you've heard that VRBO is being bought out by Expedia and now charging a "service fee" on top of the listing fee. Obviously, owners are passing it on to the renters but alot of long time VRBO folks are pissed off and looking for new options. I think you'd do well just to mention your rental in your signature tag line once you get it up and running.

Your Best Friend
    I know Monte very well, one of my best friends. He and I are going to be guiding together once I'm down there. My hope is to build a garage/apartment similar to his, funds dependant. I hadn't heard about VRBO. I really don't care how I get it out there, just as long as bikers want to come hang out. And no...I am not fit or fast. Actually a very average rider. I just get to do it more than most. Anytime you want to go, let's do it!

mtbr member
    I know Monte very well, one of my best friends. He and I are going to be guiding together once I'm down there. My hope is to build a garage/apartment similar to his, funds dependant. I hadn't heard about VRBO. I really don't care how I get it out there, just as long as bikers want to come hang out. And no...I am not fit or fast. Actually a very average rider. I just get to do it more than most. Anytime you want to go, let's do it!
    OK cool. I come out (3) times a year with different sets of riders. We'll be back out May 12-15 and staying over off Hwy 9 in the new townhomes by the "Rhythm & Blues" trail. We have no set agenda but start with Church Rocks on day 1 to break in the new guys who aren't used to the slick rock and always do the shop ride with Quentin & OTE on Saturday.

Your Best Friend
    Nice. I'll be there 2 May. Our place is always open. Stop by for some burgers, beers and a cool place to sit.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    k2rider1964, which way do you ride Church Rocks? I've dropped down on Prospector to the St. George end of the loop then climbed up to the north. I'm thinking of going counter clockwise on that loop this time and hiking the bike up that big gnar.

That would give me a wonderful drop to the south but I would climbing stuff that's fun to ride down.

I'm introducing my wife to this trail in a couple of weeks and starting to wonder about this.

since 4/10/2009
    This house is the culmination of many years of dreaming and speculating. I am medically retiring from the Army and we felt it was time to do something new and different. We were up for moving anywhere rural and with a lot of nearby trails. We looked at the Bend area, Victor/Driggs, Durango, Salida, Morgan. Being in Utah wasn't a priority but with so many small towns near so much riding, it seems inevitable that we are staying in state. We had other requirements as well but this house and location just seemed right. I forgot about Airbnb. Hopefully within a year we'll have the apartment built and you are welcome to come stay with us. Hell, I don't mind if people bring an RV or tent and want to put it in my yard. I'm always up for riding with people. Can't wait for May when this officially becomes my home trails.
    Sounds like a sweet setup. We're saving for a smallish 4 person camper we can pull behind our Crosstrek so we can be more comfortable on car camping trips. Getting too creaky to deal with deflating air mattresses that have you sleeping on lumpy rocks in the middle of the night.

Your Best Friend
    You'll have to let me know what you find. I pull a 5'x8' trailer with a decent camping and bike load behind my Crosstrek. It definitely feels it but it does just fine.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I can visualize this now. Small RV and camping park on the slopes of the Goose, one of those bike stands with tools and pump that are showing up at trailheads and RV parks, bike wash, shuttle and guide service, trail reports on a Facebook page...

And reveille at 06:00 to sober the MTBers and get them out for the first ride at 07:00. Or are pushups at 07:00?

A serene retirement in a mostly deserted valley.

mtbr member
    k2rider1964, which way do you ride Church Rocks? I've dropped down on Prospector to the St. George end of the loop then climbed up to the north. I'm thinking of going counter clockwise on that loop this time and hiking the bike up that big gnar.

That would give me a wonderful drop to the south but I would climbing stuff that's fun to ride down.

I'm introducing my wife to this trail in a couple of weeks and starting to wonder about this.
    We ride it counter clockwise from the lot next to the freeway where you drive thru the tunnel to get to it....and that gnar is 100% rideable. The only part we all walk is that ugly, off camber step down (you show it in your video).

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Ah, yeah, the tunnel under I-15. I should have shown that in my video. I'll shoot it for the next version. I'm still experimenting with videos for intermediates. I want the trails to seem friendly and welcoming but still want some MTB entertainment.

That drop-off on Prospector is challenging. Not sure I'll ever be up to riding it. Tempting to take the horse trail around it.

Counter-clockwise sounds like the plan. We'll never be able to climb that gnar on the north end but the drop down the other side would be great! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Clockwise on the actual Church Rocks loop is much more fun IMO. As has been said, that one bit of tech on the north end is certainly cleanable both directions, but when going counterclockwise, you end up with a lot of vertical down being spent on some relatively ho-hum slickrock sections.
    Both have their points, but for me clockwise beats out. Play and dawdle on the slickrock while climbing, then enjoy the off camber steps and then the flow afterward.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Those steps on the north end were too much for me but after that ride last March I went to Hurricane and Moab for all of October and my rock hopping skills improved. Unfortunately here in the Santa Cruz Mountains we don't have much rock to practice on and nothing like what's in south UT. Even the Sierras can't compare. That's why we drive 10 hours to play! :-)

Formerly of Kent
    Having seen and heard what my wife's cousin goes through in Springdale/Zion, I don't know if you could pay me to guide. I realize it's not a direct parallel, canyoneering/climbing/backpacking vs. MTB, but I'd guess you'd get a similar ratio of new vs. experienced participants, regardless of the sport.

I'd take people out if I knew they were reasonably fit/competent, like friends from out of town sort of people, but the idea of taking people out on bikes they'd never seen before, day after day, cajoling and pleading with them to take that 1' drop so we can move 50' down the trail to the next one? No thanks. I'm patient, but not that patient.

I hope you have the patience of a saint, Silentfoe.
    Death from Below.

Your Best Friend
    I don't market to that type. Can't say I've never had beginners but nothing that bad. I think that's a different demographic, the casual tourist in Zion vs. the rider who seeks out a guide for local trails. I also get the opportunity to talk to people on the phone or the net before they show up. No surprises that way. It's actually a lot of fun to get paid to mountain bike, even if you're not going fast or hard, especially when I don't do it to pay the bills.

since 4/10/2009
    You'll have to let me know what you find. I pull a 5'x8' trailer with a decent camping and bike load behind my Crosstrek. It definitely feels it but it does just fine.
    950lbs for this one. Crosstrek's tow rating is 2,000lbs, so this ought to be within that even with supplies.

Ultra light trailer Mini 13 : Roulottes Prolite

Same company has a couple of trailers that are even lighter, down to 750lbs. Only issue is that I'll have to go to Canada to buy it. Nearest dealer is roughly an 8.5hr drive for me. Within reason for a weekend. The exchange rate is also currently in my favor.

Only options with a competitive weight I can get locally are teardrops. And these Prolites are tall enough to stand up inside, with a furnace, small fridge, and a stove.

Your Best Friend
    That's really cool. Crazy how big it is and still that light.

mtbr member

St. George

A buddy and I are planning a trip from March 26-30. We are searching out somewhere to stay and were hoping for a local reference. We aren't having much luck on VRBO or Airbnb. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpCane View Post
    A buddy and I are planning a trip from March 26-30. We are searching out somewhere to stay and were hoping for a local reference. We aren't having much luck on VRBO or Airbnb. Any ideas?
    Where are you searching? Just St George? There almost always several places to stay at Sports Village and they are always the cheapest too. They are right at the base on the Zen Trail. The problem is it's probably Spring Break for a boatload of folks. I know that's the week for my son's college.

Always Learning
    I recently produced "Mountain Biking Hurricane St George - A Trails Overview For Intermediates" on YouTube. This video is for those who want to see the tread and evaluate if they have the strength and skills to ride these trails. (They probably do and I explain how.) It is not another bombing down technical terrain video. There are plenty of those on the Web now. They are mostly worthless for intermediates deciding if they want to ride the famous trails.

https://youtu.be/OSWqy014rw4
    Thanks, jmpreston, for that video!

I'm here this week riding and thoroughly enjoyed day one of my adventures by riding just about everything I could in Hurricane Cliffs Riding Area.

Time to refuel with a nice dinner to get ready for tomorrow's ride.

Yup, I rang the bell!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You're welcome. I'll be shooting a little next week. I want to spice up that video somehow but still not intimidate intermediates from riding these trails. Well, except for that dropdown switchback at the top of JEM :-)

We arrive late Saturday and leave on Monday a week later. Or maybe wife flies back to Silicon Valley and I head for Moab or Sedona :-)

Always Learning
    You're welcome. I'll be shooting a little next week. I want to spice up that video somehow but still not intimidate intermediates from riding these trails. Well, except for that dropdown switchback at the top of JEM :-)

We arrive late Saturday and leave on Monday a week later. Or maybe wife flies back to Silicon Valley and I head for Moab or Sedona :-)
    Yup, that was a KILLER little section on JEM! Especially on a rental bike that has many things I've never even tried before (dropper post, super wide bars, super short stem, 1 x 11 gearing, etc...). I recognized it immediately from your video when I got there due to the fence posts at the edge of the trail right before the cattle guard crossing and start of the steep descent. I gave it the old college try, but I think I'm going to have to take that class again as I didn't get a passing grade.

The video is fine as you made it clear the trails are quite doable. The cow hoof prints from the recent rains were the most challenging part of the ride yesterday. It was pretty pockmarked to the point that a FS bike didn't even help.

Have a great trip out here. The weather is supreme this week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There almost always several places to stay at Sports Village
    Thanks for mentioning this name, just booked a place there for the April ICUP race, looks like it should be a perfect location for us.

Now just need to figure out a 90 minute road bike route from there for my wife to get her workout in on Sunday...

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Just wanted to give a shout out to everyone at OTE Hurricane!!! Was out for a quick trip and rented bikes, great experience. Got there and with minimal fuss had the bikes in the back of the car and on the trails in now time. Same on the drop off no problems had our pedals back in hand and ready to blast. Great group of folks in the shop!!! they have everything you need from top rentals to maps and such!

Thanks again guys!!!
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bopApocalypse View Post
    Thanks for mentioning this name, just booked a place there for the April ICUP race, looks like it should be a perfect location for us.

Now just need to figure out a 90 minute road bike route from there for my wife to get her workout in on Sunday...
    Nice...good for you guys. The place isn't the fanciest but the condos have everything you'll need. The jacuzzi is large and works out the kinks after a day of riding. I've actually score last minute deals there for $40 per night in the past. here's a link for your wife to check out. I've never been on the paved trails but I see them as we travel up the 15 freeway.

St. George Paved Trails

since 4/10/2009
    I ended up riding in the Hurricane Cliffs area yesterday. Budget rental office in Vegas screwed up our reservation (prepaid) for a 4wd suv. The only thing they had that would fit our bikes was a minivan, and the access road to Gooseberry Mesa was not rental minivan approved yesterday.

Had a lot of fun on the trails. Dead Ringer was quite a highlight. We rode it downhill. The bench cut section is awesome. The flowiness of the trails was VERY welcome after beating myself up on the chunk on the Cowboy Trails near Vegas the day before.

Cactus Cuddler
    I want to spice up that video somehow but still not intimidate intermediates from riding these trails. Well, except for that dropdown switchback at the top of JEM :-)
    That's a short enough section to walk (the pair of switchbacks), having it in the video for beginner-intermediate riders that it's easy to bypass is cool.

For my part, riding that trail blind without the benefit of videos, that was the part of upper JEM I felt like I didn't bring too much bike, but a 6" travel 29er probably meets the definition of 'monster truck' when it comes to cleaning stuff first try.

The bench cut section of Dead Ringer just impressed me with what can be done - on an XC whippet of a bike, that would be a fun trail uphill; downhill is obviously enjoyable regardless.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Any recommendations for camping in the area. We'll be there from March 22 to 26. Checked out Zion NP and it looks kinda busy. We are self sufficient and prefer uncrowded basic sites.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi Y'all,

NorCal lurker here getting super-psyched for a couple weeks off to hang out and play- well anywhere.
    So I plan on starting off in the St. George/Hurricane area arriving Sunday pm.
    I see lots of good general advice on this thread.
    I want to do as many of the trails listed as I can (e.g. Gooseberry Mesa/Hurricane; Zen, Barrel/St George).

My main question is how are trail conditions now and/or likely to be next week and beyond (crystal balls front and center, everyone)?
    And are there other must-do trail recommendations?

Also, I will be camping for the most part.
    Is it easy to find good spots to pitch a tent, near riding areas?
    I see Oak Grove Campground near Hurricane, which looks nice.
    Anybody know anything about that, or other options?
    And what are the overnight low temps like this time of year?

I have a 4-wheel drive pickup, but almost no experience off-road. Is access to Gooseberry do-able these days?

I'd say I am intermediate+ level rider, but mostly ride solo so not much to compare with... Strava mostly puts me in the 'middle of the pack'.
    My fitness is ok, but I've been of the bike 2 weeks now. DOH!

If anyone is around next week and wanted to show a tourist around, I'll do my best to keep up, and definitely promise not to complain or whine

Thanks in advance!
    -cnr
    This is either a good thing, or a very bad thing.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I ended up riding in the Hurricane Cliffs area yesterday. Budget rental office in Vegas screwed up our reservation (prepaid) for a 4wd suv. The only thing they had that would fit our bikes was a minivan, and the access road to Gooseberry Mesa was not rental minivan approved yesterday.
    Not true. There were several regular cars in the lot on Wednesday of this week.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    Hi Y'all,

NorCal lurker here getting super-psyched for a couple weeks off to hang out and play- well anywhere.
    So I plan on starting off in the St. George/Hurricane area arriving Sunday pm.
    I see lots of good general advice on this thread.
    I want to do as many of the trails listed as I can (e.g. Gooseberry Mesa/Hurricane; Zen, Barrel/St George).

My main question is how are trail conditions now and/or likely to be next week and beyond (crystal balls front and center, everyone)?
    And are there other must-do trail recommendations?

Also, I will be camping for the most part.
    Is it easy to find good spots to pitch a tent, near riding areas?
    I see Oak Grove Campground near Hurricane, which looks nice.
    Anybody know anything about that, or other options?
    And what are the overnight low temps like this time of year?

I have a 4-wheel drive pickup, but almost no experience off-road. Is access to Gooseberry do-able these days?
    Trail conditions are incredible right now. I bet it will be more dry and loose by next week, but this week it's baked goodness from last weekend's rain.

Your 3 must rides - IMO - based on what you mention.

•Gooseberry (access is a piece of cake - just drive slowly when needed)

Trepidation about your skills? Take the practice loop first to see what you are getting into and if that goes okay, do the entire loop. I did the practice loop, North Rim, The Point, all of the South Rim, and Hidden Canyon. Walk the parts you don't feel comfortable with, but if you and your bike are up to it - it's a good physical and mental workout, sort of like circuit training for 2-3 hours.

•Hurricane Cliffs (JEM, Dead Ringer, More Cowbell, Goosebumps, Hurricane Rim)

Great video a group made using a drone from last week and uploaded this Monday which really shows the beauty of the Cliffs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiDfGyCIjjA

They should have entitled it Hurricane, rather than St. George. Oh well.

•Bearclaw Poppy area (must do this one!!! - is hosting the True Grit Epic race tomorrow and is in tip top shape)

I've got two more days of riding before I get back on the plane and head home to the Midwest (former Walnut Creek, CA resident - so I know your trails). Primo conditions right now in Hurricane and St. George - so have no fear. Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane sells a map that is printed on a 'kerchief' you can use to clean your glasses, wipe your face and it stuffs in your pocket easily. It's a must buy IMO as it is the map that got me through all the Hurricane area trail systems.

Current Trail Conditions (as of March 11)

Dead Ringer

Stucki Springs Loop

Super fun Snakepit Trail (connects upper Stucki back to Bloomington area)

North Rim at Gooseberry...

South Rim at Gooseberry...

Just a little bit of standing water here and there on the slickrock at Gooseberry...

Next week looks to be more of the same of this week (temps in the 70's for perfect riding).

Enjoy and have no worries. The trails are in great shape. The worst I have found is the Hurricane Hills area because the cattle walked around after the weekend's rain and left hoof prints everywhere. They are getting better, but set that FS to soft and lower the psi in your tires to keep your teeth from chattering...

Even though I'm exhausted from 3-4 hours a day or riding (did 6 yesterday), I'm not backing down today with what I've got planned. Eat, ride, eat, ride, repeat.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Any recommendations for camping in the area. We'll be there from March 22 to 26. Checked out Zion NP and it looks kinda busy. We are self sufficient and prefer uncrowded basic sites.
    People were camping out in the open at Gooseberry and the JEM area. If you don't mind rough camping (no running water, toilets) that would be my suggestion as dispersed camping is allowed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My family and I are coming out the following weekend and wondering what beginner / intermediate trails we should ride. Last year we did two runs down JEM, Rhythm and Blues, Boy Scout Trail and the practice loop of GB Mesa. My kids are young, 5 and 7, and they really liked JEM, the first part of GB Mesa before it got too steep, and parts of R&B, but not much love for Boy Scout. We did Bearclaw/Poppyseed and they really liked that (well at least until they closed off all the extra riding towards the end). We would rather stay up in the Hurricane area, so any trail recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - BS

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    BullSCit, we'll be there all this coming week and doing the Hurricane MTB Festival the following weekend.

I made a video to explain Hurricane / St. George trails to intermediates:
    Intermediate Mountain Biking | Bike and Trails Analyses for Intermediate Riders. Other videos and bike reviews there also for intermediates.

Kids would probably like the slick rock near the Guacamole trail head. Also the bottom of Barrel Roll.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey BB,
    Thanks for the good info, great pics and encouraging signs about weather, trails and accessing Gooseberry- I'm pretty sure I can follow where that those cars ^^ can go
    I'll check out Bearclaw/Poppy and get a map fer sher.

I watched that youtube, and found it to be stellar- I felt I got a real sense of the terrain- hill-flattening iphone effect notwithstanding.
    A big thanks and shout out to jmpreston for that!

I'm gonna have to follow your lead with: "Eat, ride, eat, ride, repeat."

Have 2 more great days of riding!
    -cnr
    This is either a good thing, or a very bad thing.

Your Best Friend
    Take your little ones on More Cowbell. Here's a quick video of four of my kids last April. Two were 7 and 8 and did just fine.

https://youtu.be/Gc-cZggGhIw

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Not true. There were several regular cars in the lot on Wednesday of this week.

Operative word was RENTAL. Yes, I saw plenty of cars driving it when I was checking it out. I was unfamiliar with the capabilities of the vehicle I had and I did not want to be charged extra for anything by the rental company. I scraped the bumper fascia a couple times on my attempt and I didn't want to tear the bumper off. I'd have driven either of my own cars up it no question because I am familiar with them and am willing to accept a bit of dirt and scratches.

mtbr member
    Based on what they have already been on, I would try the front/mian loop of Guacamole (considered by some as Baby Gooseberry) and then also Church Rocks/Prospector for sure.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by CyNil_Rider View Post
    Hey BB,
    Thanks for the good info, great pics and encouraging signs about weather, trails and accessing Gooseberry- I'm pretty sure I can follow where that those cars ^^ can go
    I'll check out Bearclaw/Poppy and get a map fer sher.

I watched that youtube, and found it to be stellar- I felt I got a real sense of the terrain- hill-flattening iphone effect notwithstanding.
    A big thanks and shout out to jmpreston for that!

I'm gonna have to follow your lead with: "Eat, ride, eat, ride, repeat."

Have 2 more great days of riding!
    -cnr
    You know what, I'm going to have to pull my full recommendation of Bearclaw Poppy as a must ride while you are here. After all these days of riding this week - I think the stuff over on the Hurricane/Gooseberry side is where it is all happening. So I now would say - dump Bearclaw and head straight to Little Creek Mesa instead. It's off the beaten path a bit in terms of driving on gravel roads, but they have been recently graded and are in great shape. This trail was my most favorite. I downloaded the GPX files from the UtahMountainBiking.com site and had no issues on the loops. I could spend a good two days there alone just riding and grinning. Looks like one can camp there as well.

So...

•Gooseberry
    •Little Creek Mesa
    •Guacamole

...that grouping alone certainly gives you a nice dose of what you can't get in other places with all the slickrock, ledges, walls, mixed with singletrack, tight and twisty, rocks - gorgeous scenery and will have you begging for more.

•Hurricane Cliffs with Hurricane/J.E.M./Dead Ringer/Crypto/Goosebumps/More Cowbell for your scenic pleasure and riding pleasure all mixed into fun, fun, fun.

I would get my fill of all of those, then if there is time and you want to head over to the St. George side you could. But the Hurricane side is where it's at - IMO!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Operative word was RENTAL. Yes, I saw plenty of cars driving it when I was checking it out. I was unfamiliar with the capabilities of the vehicle I had and I did not want to be charged extra for anything by the rental company. I scraped the bumper fascia a couple times on my attempt and I didn't want to tear the bumper off. I'd have driven either of my own cars up it no question because I am familiar with them and am willing to accept a bit of dirt and scratches.
    That's too bad. Maybe your next trip you can get some of the Goose.

I was in the white rental Nissan Rogue and have been on the Gooseberry access road, Guacamole access road, and Little Creek access road with no worries. Luckily, at all of the muddy spots on the Gooseberry access road, people had created alternative lines to drive up and around anything that looked sketchy.

since 4/10/2009
    That's too bad. Maybe your next trip you can get some of the Goose.

I was in the white rental Nissan Rogue and have been on the Gooseberry access road, Guacamole access road, and Little Creek access road with no worries. Luckily, at all of the muddy spots on the Gooseberry access road, people had created alternative lines to drive up and around anything that looked sketchy.
    I had. Toyota Sienna. Different animal. Most of the bypasses were doable, but I found one with enough of a drop that I wasn't going to chance it.

In either of my own cars, I probably would have driven straight through most of the mud. I am pretty sure that minivan had less ground clearance than my Honda Fit.

I will be back to Utah.

mtbr member
    The road to Goose is the worst it's been in the 10 years I've been coming to SW Utah. I've ridden St George and Hurricane areas quite a bit in the past, but the Hurricane trails are most memorable when I think back. My wife and I may try dispersed camping next week.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Camping in Virgin this week. Excellent weather and trail conditions! I was sick last week and still a bit feeble so we won't start the big trails until tomorrow unless all goes well on the climb up Deadringer today.

Formerly of Kent
    My plan/hope for next year is that Smithsonian Butte Road will be passable when I'm there. I'll ride up that to Gander, connect to Gooseberry from there. Avoid the road up to Gooseberry entirely.
    Death from Below.

Always Learning
    Camping in Virgin this week. Excellent weather and trail conditions! I was sick last week and still a bit feeble so we won't start the big trails until tomorrow unless all goes well on the climb up Deadringer today.
    Hope you recover to enjoy the riding - even if you have to hack out a lung from coughing.

There was a group riding More Cowbell/Dead Ringer/J.E.M. that posted a video last Monday which I thought was pretty scenic and well done because they used a drone for some of the video.

https://youtu.be/aiDfGyCIjjA

mtbr member
    Hope you recover to enjoy the riding - even if you have to hack out a lung from coughing.

There was a group riding More Cowbell/Dead Ringer/J.E.M. that posted a video last Monday which I thought was pretty scenic and well done because they used a drone for some of the video.

https://youtu.be/aiDfGyCIjjA
    Excellent video and a nice perspective!! I'm taking a group out there in May and they haven't done this ride yet so I'm looking forward to them experiencing it. SO MUCH FUN!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i would stick to jem and hurricane rim. dead ringer and more cowbell suck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.