St. George / Gooseberry Conditions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

St. George / Gooseberry Conditions

Thinking about cruising down from up north this weekend.. What are the trail conditions like, did you guys get hit with snow?

Plan on riding Gooseberry, Barrel/Zen/Bearclaw.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Scrap those plans....

You will absolutely f#ck up Bearclaw Poppy..stay off of it please. Gooseberry has snow on it and the road to it is a muddy mess... Little Creek is non-ridabl.e

Zen might be good, Prospector to Churchrocks is good, Barrel Roll and Sidewinder are good (did that today) Paradise whatever it's called just north of St George was good today as well.

JEM is muddy and so is Goulds from the Cattle Pens to HWY 59.. please mark them off your potential list. Also... Rockville Bench (signed as a closed trail system) earned some guys tickets and a towed car yesterday.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ahh bummer.. Guess Ill stay here in the frozen tundra.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry to be a buzzkill.

Come on down anyway....You can still put together two solid full days of good riding
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Also... Rockville Bench (signed as a closed trail system) earned some guys tickets and a towed car yesterday.
    Rockville Bench is permanently closed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Zen

Hey - Zen is just fine, as was Bearclaw Poppy, there were quite a few riders there yesterday and today. Jem/Goulds were MOL OK Monday, but maybe worse with the rain Monday night.

You should come down, there is a lot to ride, and I will try GB or LC by the weekend. The weather is warming up, you can always link up Zen with other trails in Santa Clara.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I am wanting to ride tomorrow, don't know the area anyone out there up for a good ride in friday15 plus miles? Let me know.
    Thanks
    Last edited by cklog; 11-25-2010 at 11:31 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Rockville Bench is permanently closed?
    There was an emergency closure issued several (8+...) years ago. This stays in effect until the next traffic managemet plan is passed. That process is taking place over the next two years.

When Anazazi Plateau had two or three huses no one seemed to care much and for many, many years the BLM did not enforce the closure but it's not just the residents up there, there has been bad blood with bikers in Rockville for a longtime.

There are a few vocal bike haters up there, many who actually ride...and a large percentage of residents that don't care what we do as long as we don't park in front of their houses and leave trash behind.....(which started happening more and more)..... hell I saw some tards from out of town park a car and van pulling a flatbed with twenty bikes on it IN a residents drive.

We are working on a permanent solution... but for now the trails system is closed and it is properly signed as closed to bikes. Riding it only serves to lesson our chances of getting it reopened and inforces the stance of those who want to see it stay closed.

Please refrain from riding this trail system and honor the closure. The ticket is a couple of hundred smakers I have ben told and it harms our cause of getting the trail opened again.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 11-26-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renwcc
    Hey - Zen is just fine, as was Bearclaw Poppy, there were quite a few riders there yesterday and today. Jem/Goulds were MOL OK Monday, but maybe worse with the rain Monday night.

You should come down, there is a lot to ride, and I will try GB or LC by the weekend. The weather is warming up, you can always link up Zen with other trails in Santa Clara.
    Upper JEM and Goulds are very muddy... we had snow on them. better choices around where you wont leave ruts riding. I think Gooseberry will be ok if the road into it is passable.. although there is still snow up there so maybe not. Little Creek will be muddy, very muddy i places and I'd rather not leave a bunch of tracks and ruts up there...but that's just me.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Rode Gooseberry today it was very nice and fun, first time. Weather was beautiful, a little snow made it fun. The drive out was a bit messy, you need four wheel drive to get out.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What sections of the road in were bad...closer to the trailhead or closer to th eturn off HWY59?

Did you ride Hidden Canyon? That trail seems slow to dry out...and has a lot of dirt. We were thinking of heading up if it's actually dry and riding is not leaving ruts.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Rode Little Creek today lead by Slowerthansnot. Dirt tread was rim deep mud and there were patches of snow on the rock. The road out was third world quality. Too much moisture to ride here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    There were a few muddy sections of road, a bit on the first road going in then after you turn left going in, that was pretty muddy for probably 1/2 mile. Yes we did ride Hidden Canyon and it was not muddy a little snow here and there, sorry for the delay on the response, I sure it is all muddy now.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cklog
    There were a few muddy sections of road, a bit on the first road going in then after you turn left going in, that was pretty muddy for probably 1/2 mile. Yes we did ride Hidden Canyon and it was not muddy a little snow here and there, sorry for the delay on the response, I sure it is all muddy now.
    No worries! Glad you had a good ride. We had some friends in from out of town and thought we might give it a go based on your report. We rode Prospector/Church Rocks and Barrel Roll/Sidewinder and had some good times.

I live here...I'll hit up Gooose later and have the whole place to myself when it's a bit more dry.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Cklog - did you ride Zen/Stucki on Sat? I got in 2 laps on Zen before driving home, looked like the front was moving in. Hope you at least rode Zen.

mtbr member
    heres hoping things dry up this week (weather looks good right now) im flying in Fri for a week of riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    A buddy of mine are looking to head down next week (Dec. 16 through the weekend) and want to ride as much as we can. Love aggressive trail riding and want to hit Zen for sure. What else is looking to be rideable? Would like to get the whole experience as its my first trip there but want to get some beta from the locals with weather an issue this time of year. Anybody got a good recommend list for us for 2.5 days of riding?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by aenema
    A buddy of mine are looking to head down next week (Dec. 16 through the weekend) and want to ride as much as we can. Love aggressive trail riding and want to hit Zen for sure. What else is looking to be rideable? Would like to get the whole experience as its my first trip there but want to get some beta from the locals with weather an issue this time of year. Anybody got a good recommend list for us for 2.5 days of riding?
    Ok.... Tuesday did pretty much all of Gooseberry (South Rim to Point... Hidden Canyon, North Rim, Yellow Trail, and Practice Loop) all was good to ride without damaging the trails. Road in had a couple mud spots but will be good in a couple of more days. Monday did Zen.... it was very good. Sunday Did Barrel Roll/Sidewinder/Rim system, excellent with one muddy spot on Rim Reaper IIRC.

Guacamole is good but road up is AWD or 4WD.... a 2WD might make it.

Today did Hurricane Rim/Goulds Rim/Goulds and JEM loop. All was good except the top of the JEM from the Trailhead to the double track road.. This section ahs been pretty well FUBAR'd by the "I drove here from SLC/SoCal/etc...so I'm gonna ride regardless of how much I f#ck the trails up" riders. Other than that th erest of teh loop was pretty great.

There's your trail beta.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The riders mentioned above left reverse snowshow type prints: the mud stuck to their shoes. They had a b***en time mucking their way thru. As a result wheel ruts and foot print pits have been left. Get out here and ride the damage out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Jem

Why do you blame all this on out of town riders? Do all the riders in St George and Hurrican abide by these unwritten rules? I agree this is bad for the trials, but I think it is worse for the riding community in general and your economy, don't forget we bring $ into your town. Did you know that this year MTB surpassed golf revenue in the summer at Whistler?

If these is so much damage to the trails they should be formally closed and marked. I also feel that you locals should publish pictures and guidelines, and not just in a blog or this thread, but put this in the map or guidebook. There should be alternate routes listed in case of closures, posted at the trail head, with maps and directions.

I have wanted to ride JEM and Gooseberry for years, and of all the resources I used, not once did I read about this type trail damage. You all build great trails and promoted them, but now you have the responsibility of educating the riding community about this damage. If I had known, I might not have come. I only found out once I got to St George, and only then becasue someone started this thread. I was lucky and the trails held up when I was there, but knowing the winter was comming I would have either saved my trip for the spring/summer and just stayed in Norcal and rode and skied.

So for anyone thinking of riding Jem or Gooseberry, my recommendation is save the drive once the rains come in winter, the weather is too hit or miss. Just go skiing, go to Moab, or better yet, come to Norcal. If it is raining you can go out in SF, and our trails are ridable after the rain, Pacifica, Demo, UCSC, Skeggs, Annadale, Waterdog/DMZ, etc. There is more than enough to ride. Just start a threat, and you will have plenty of locals willing to show you around. Bring you skis/boards and stop in Tahoe on the way, bring you shoes and pads and boulder in Bishop.

St George/Hurricane trails are nice, but turns out this is not really a great road trip in the winter.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Why do you blame all this on out of town riders? Do all the riders in St George and Hurrican abide by these unwritten rules? .
    The etc... part covers everyone else, I am an equal opportunity hater when it comes to a$$holes..
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Nuts
    The riders mentioned above left reverse snowshow type prints: the mud stuck to their shoes. They had a b***en time mucking their way thru. As a result wheel ruts and foot print pits have been left. Get out here and ride the damage out.
    Wont be ridden out, but it's not much worse than a heard of cows could do/ Only differnece is cows are stupid and don't know any better.. these people knew better, were stupid and didn't care. Looks like lots of trail work come spring.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 12-12-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Why do you blame all this on out of town riders? Do all the riders in St George and Hurrican abide by these unwritten rules? I agree this is bad for the trials, but I think it is worse for the riding community in general and your economy, don't forget we bring $ into your town. Did you know that this year MTB surpassed golf revenue in the summer at Whistler?

If these is so much damage to the trails they should be formally closed and marked. I also feel that you locals should publish pictures and guidelines, and not just in a blog or this thread, but put this in the map or guidebook. There should be alternate routes listed in case of closures, posted at the trail head, with maps and directions.

I have wanted to ride JEM and Gooseberry for years, and of all the resources I used, not once did I read about this type trail damage. You all build great trails and promoted them, but now you have the responsibility of educating the riding community about this damage. If I had known, I might not have come. I only found out once I got to St George, and only then becasue someone started this thread. I was lucky and the trails held up when I was there, but knowing the winter was comming I would have either saved my trip for the spring/summer and just stayed in Norcal and rode and skied.

So for anyone thinking of riding Jem or Gooseberry, my recommendation is save the drive once the rains come in winter, the weather is too hit or miss. Just go skiing, go to Moab, or better yet, come to Norcal. If it is raining you can go out in SF, and our trails are ridable after the rain, Pacifica, Demo, UCSC, Skeggs, Annadale, Waterdog/DMZ, etc. There is more than enough to ride. Just start a threat, and you will have plenty of locals willing to show you around. Bring you skis/boards and stop in Tahoe on the way, bring you shoes and pads and boulder in Bishop.

St George/Hurricane trails are nice, but turns out this is not really a great road trip in the winter.
    There is plenty of great riding during pretty much all weather conditions here in greater St George. There are several “sure bets” when it’s raining or has been wet. The JEM, Goulds, Bearclaw-Poppy and Little Creek are not among them. Prospector/Churchrocks, Barrel Roll, Sidewinder and Zen are. Goose is good if you can get to it, the access road dictates this. There are plenty of others that some others can toss out for wet riding as well. Myself and my friends manage to ride five to six days a week pretty much year ‘round and leave no trace. It’s easy to do if one wants to.

Typically the JEM and Goulds are not wet weather trails. Signs at the trailhead would be nice but the lower JEM trailhead is on private property so no signs…and the chances of getting the BLM to make signs for the upper anytime soon is slim to none and slim just died. With this said I find it very difficult to fathom that any rider with an IQ above that of a medium sized bag of hammers cannot reason that if their riding is leaving huge ruts and footprints in the trail then that is a bad thing and ditto for major off-trail excursions into the wet soil.

Unlike Kalifornia, we here in Utah have no desire to have our government think for us. We don’t need signs in three languages to tell us water is wet, deserts are hot and might have snakes and scorpions and falling off of a cliff might hurt you. Common sense combined with courtesy is a wonderful thing, just remember to bring some of both with you when you visit ANY trail system.
    Last edited by STT GUY; 12-12-2010 at 12:49 PM.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I appreciate the info and the passion

We struggle with trail misuse/abuse here as well so totally am with you when it comes to frustrations from jackwagons and their sense of entitlement. Here, though, the locals are more the culprits so it is not only frustrating, but forces a feeling of defeat upon making any progress when you can't even get the people to care for their own back yard.

Weather forecast is looking less and less favorable as the time approaches. Keeping fingers crossed and promise to tread with respect no matter where I ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    This thread is now starting to remind me of National Lampoons Vacation - remember Wallyworld? I will name my new skinny trail in DMZ this in honor of your plight. Look for this on your next RT to Norcal.

Members who have read this thread: 0