mtbr member
    Jan 2018

St. George - Early April recommendations

Planning a few days in the St. George area during the first week of April. Have not been to the area before, but visited Moab last spring and had a blast on Ahab and Porcupine, what trails would you all recommend I ride? From first glance it seems like the Santa Clara network and Grafton are must rides, any others? Also looking to hit Nephi's twist, have heard that is a good one.

Thanks!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    The must do trails are South Rim and Hidden Canyon on Gooseberry Mesa, Guacamole is a blast, more intermediate is the new Wire Mesa, JEM for easy flow, Little Creek Mesa is a navigation challenge but the riding is intermediate with some advanced, Zen near St. George, and if you want to kills yourself then Grafton Mesa down to Grafton and Flying Monkey. Need shuttles for those or a lot of stamina to climb up the roads to the top.

The Santa Clara trails are mostly tame but nice riding there. Same with Church Rocks and the Quail Lake trails, also called the Boy Scout Trails. Some nice technical everywhere though.

I haven't tried Nephi's but looked at it from the highway. Looks challenging.

Check conditions at Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Nephi's is closest to Lower Porcupine (in style) and has way more exposure (some pucker factor) but is not as technically difficult at Grafton Mesa....at least in my experience. Grafton has some rocky, chunky sections that will eat you up the 1st couple times but only because you don't know they are coming. They are all rideable if you hit them right. best thing to do is contact Quentin or Clayton at Over the Edge and see if you can get them to do the shop ride out at Grafton Mesa the weekend you're going to be there. Quentin knows the area like the back of his hand and won't steer you wrong.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    k2rider, he could ride Grafton with Jordan from OTE :-)
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Endubro45 View Post
    From first glance it seems like the Santa Clara network and Grafton are must rides, any others? Also looking to hit Nephi's twist, have heard that is a good one.
    Where in the world did you get these recomendos? Those don't even make the top 10 list from my perspective.

Check the sticky St. George planner for all the best info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    1 Day:Zen, then Sidewinder/Suicidal Tencencies/Barrel Roll

1 Day: Gooseberry (do Hidden Canyon as an out/back, OR do Goose as a figure 8 to hit HC 2x).

1 Day: Little Creek

If you were pretty hard core you could do both Goose and LC the same day, but the drive in/out is enough that I prefer to stay there for my entire day's worth of ride time.

are top of the bucket list. Add something else in for the extra time you have. These 4 rides are 2-3 days by themselves, depending on your fitness.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks all, this is very helpful. Ya Nephi's makes me pucker a little just watching a video, the exposure looks insane. Likely won't do it unless can follow someone.

Thanks @UtahJohn for the simple outline, will look to incorporate your feedback. As far as trail markings, will I be able to find my way decently with Trailforks + Strava or worth it to find a guide? Definitely don't want to spend time lost or confused. Think I will be riding Wednesday, Thurs, and Friday so unsure if I will make a bike shop ride on a weekend.

mtbr member
    There is literally nothing out there that I dislike and refuse to ride. That being said, as far as the St George/Santa Clara rides go, our group does exactly what UtahJohn described in option #1. As for the rest, what *our group* likes to do...

Day 1: Drive into town and hit something on the mellower side to acclimate to terrain after a 6 hour drive from SoCal

Day 2: Gooseberry Mesa in more or less a "figure 8"...out the South Rim to Hidden Canyon, cross over to the North Rim out to The Point via Yellow Trail. Come back and hit the other of South Rim going the other direction. You can bail out here via Hidden Canyon again or if you're feeling good, keep going and hit Secret Trail before heading in.

Another option is South to HC and across to Bowls & Ledges to Windmill and Gander. Less taxing (just as long as you don't take Ganger all the way down) but pay attention. However, since it's your 1st time, going out to The point is like a requirement. If you skip Secret Trail which 99% of people do, we usually do a 2nd ride in the afternoon.

Guacamole: Considered Baby Gooseberry by many. Not as challenging or 'epic' but super fun nonetheless.

Little Creek: Can be challenging to navigate. Trailforks or a shop group ride is your friend. However, it has it all...dirt, riding on the edge of cliffs, slick rock and on and on. Many peoples favorite due to the variety.

Boy Scout Trails: Out towards I-15 in Washington next to Quail Creek Reservoir. Doesn't get much talk but I **LOVE** this area because of all the techy up & down that goes and goes. Just when you think you're done, you're going back up. Great place to go after it rains.

JEM Trail: The entire area is filled with flowy, lower intermediate single track. Easy to climb and an absolute blast to scream down. You can EASILY do this ride in the afternoon as your 2nd ride **IF** the winds aren't blowing. Coming down into a headwind ruins the entire ride.

Church Rocks: Over in St George on the north end of town and THE place to ride if it's just rained. Actually pretty fun and probably better that what 90% of us have as our local trail but since it's surrounded by the other stuff, it only gets mentioned when it rains. If I lived out here, I'd ride it weekly.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 01-19-2018 at 10:48 AM.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Super helpful, thank you!

Your Best Friend
    When people say Grafton, they inevitably mean the DH trail that drops down into Rockville. However, there is some great, technical single track that routes around the Mesa and is as good or better than anything else in the area. It can also be linked in with Wire Mesa. Technically you could also link it in with Gooseberry but only if you hate yourself. All the trails are on Trailforks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member

The best of what we have

Hurricane is best known for the slow and technical slickrock with some amazing on trail scenery and views into Zion Park, well also the Redbull Rampage stuff, but 99% of us can't do it. Gooseberry, Little Creek and Guacamole are natures big playgrounds. Over The Edge Sports does a great shop ride on Saturdays, usually to Little Creek, they can make it extra fun on Gooseberry as well. I would say do the Goose and Little Creek Mesas. They are the best and most unique of what we have and will give you 4-5 days of riding for sure. Use Trailforks as a trail guide and gps, works great. Don't waste your time with hiring a guide. I'll ride with you for free. No guiding from me though, but I will call 911 for helicopter evac if needed.....WOHOO!