St George drying out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

St George drying out

Alright, we are recovering from the snow!

Church Rocks is in great shape to ride!
    Zen is good to go. Barrels and the Green Valley race course also looked dry.
    Barrel Roll is all good too.

Good idea to stay away from Bearclaw Poppy and Zen, lots of clay there.

Woo hoo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckC
    Alright, we are recovering from the snow!

Church Rocks is in great shape to ride!
    Zen is good to go. Barrels and the Green Valley race course also looked dry.
    Barrel Roll is all good too.

Good idea to stay away from Bearclaw Poppy and Zen, lots of clay there.

Woo hoo!
    Zen is good and bad?? JK How's paradise rim and Barrell Roll?

mtbr member
    Bear Claw and Poppy are fine, rode them last Wednesday, Stucki is good as well.
    Barrel Roll is also fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So it sounds like most everything around St George is dry. But the real question is, anyone been up to Goose/Little Creek lately? Would love to know how the roads/trails are looking...thanks!

mtbr member
    Curious about JEM and Virgin Rim etc as well.

Thanks

I'd rather be biking...
    I assume you mean hurricane rim, as virgin rim is under 2 feet of snow. Last I heard the end of jem by sheep bridge is ooo-e gooo-e

mtbr member
    hows goose?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The goose should be borderline..... some areas slow and grippy some still under snow! I rode a grafton run yesterday and there is still now covering most shady areas and it was peanutbutter muddy in the wash @ the bottom. The road up there is still pretty snotty! I know one of the shuttle drivers yesterday descended crybaby hill into rockville sideways in the grease.
    The rockville bench is in stellar shape as is guacamole except the last climb on the approach road. You have to park at the base of the last climb and ride up the ice, but once your on top of the mesa the trail is in great shape.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Gooseberry is still iffy. South rim is OK, though there are soft patches and some snow. North rim still has snow. I'd give it another week of sun and no precip to dry out.

Little Creek looks WET. It is much more shaded and a little higher than Goose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    as of right now yesterdays deluge served the goose a huge helping of peanut butter soup! Road from Rockville is Nasty!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Do us all a fav.. stay off the senic byway that acceses Gooseberry if it is muddy.. A lot of us who live here use it as a travel road between the canyon and 59 (it cuts many, many mles off the drive around alternative)

Little creek more accessable due to the better road into it and is a great alternative to the Goose.

Sure bets are:

Lower JEM Trail (Lower trailhead to cliff face Cliff Face is a mess and has already been trashed)
    Hurricane Rim from Virgin Dam trailhead to JEM (Ballance of Hurricane Rim might be wet in some of the shady spots)
    Rim Reaper., Rim Rocker, etc...
    Barrel Roll and Sidewinder
    Anazai
    Rockville Bench
    Guacamole IF YOU PARK AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HILL WHERE THE ROADS SPLIT. Please don't trash the last part of the access road.. you need the excercise anyway and it's a nice climb up onto the plateau. Really want to make a ride of it park and ride up from where Dalton Wash Road and SR9 meet.
    Prospector and Church Rocks

Enjoy yourself if your headed down or up this way and be careful driving on the holiday weekend!

Dec 2007

Is St George drying out?

I am heading south and hoping to ride something around st george this week Would it be asking to much to ride Jem & Goose/LittleCreek ? If you would please let me know the status before I make the 10 hour drive. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think that everything stt posted still applies. I drove the rockville side of the hill yesterday in 2wd. I am sure there will be snow on lil creek in places but it does handle water so much better than goose. I'm not sure about the st. George stuff though. There is surely stuff to ride, just turn around and head somewhere else if your running into slop.

Members who have read this thread: 0