St. George area Trail Questions- Mtbr.com
    fried stuff with cheese

St. George area Trail Questions

Going to be riding in the area late next week into the weekend. We will have two days to ride in St. George. I have "rough" printed maps of the Green Valley area trails, Bearclaw Poppy, Stucki Springs, Barrel Trail etc...
    Two questions.. is this area large enough to have two good days or can it be done in one?
    Also, if it can be done in one what's the best way to loop it all out as not to miss anything?
    My guess is that we'll split it into two days so if anyone can recommend any cool ways to split it up that would be great too. We are riding four days in a row total so ideally we would like to keep our days under 25 miles.
    Thanks!
    Egg

I'd rather be biking...
    Ride "Dos Mesa's" one Day. -Thats barrel trail and Zen trail done together, pretty self explanatory on how to ride that.

Ride Stucki/Bearclaw poppy next day with something else perhaps paradise or some of the santa clara preserve trails

But riding both would be around 25 miles if you combined days. You would be pretty pooped though

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm going to be in SW Utah next week starting around Tuesday evening or Wed morning, staying for about a week. I don't know the area, but will be up for riding each day all day, however long you want, I can hang.

When do you plan on arriving and where you starting out?
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Zen, Barrel Roll, Barrels, Stucki, Rim Runner and Bearclaw can all be ridden in one looong day if you have the time and no how to connect the dots.
    I am available to ride most days if you don't mind starting early, PM me if you guys are interested.

fried stuff with cheese
    Cool! Thanks, We'll probably just split it up into two days. Keep it chill, take our time and explore a bit. I might have been over ambitious to make it one long day this early in our season. Plus, I forgot how the elevation effected me last time.. tough.

bquinn - we will be riding two days in the Hurricane area on the 15th-16th and St. G on the 17th and 18th. I'll be in Vegas on the 12th - 14th. PM me if those days work and you want to hook up with us. We're both pretty strong riders by mid season but this is still pretty early for us... personally I probably don't have more than 35 miles this year on the mtn bike.

Can't get right - thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that. I just have to check with my buddy and figure out how early he wants to start... this being our vacation away from kids and all...
    Egg

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Locotiki - I'm heading out Wed morning, it's a 2 day drive for me, so will be arriving in Hurricane area Thursday late afternoon (coming from Denver that day).
    I'll prob go straight to Goose since I know that area. I should have plenty of time to ride Goose that evening too...as long as I get an early start that day.
    This will be my first big riding of the season too, so I'm totally ok with taking it easy.
    Look forward to meeting up with you guys!
    My cell is: 309-648-0215 text is fine also

Quinn
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey I live in Cedar City, I just got a new bike. I'm new to the sport but I would love to find people to ride with? I don't know anyone here in Cedar that ride, and my fiance' says I don't go easy enough for her...

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdenney
    Hey I live in Cedar City, I just got a new bike. I'm new to the sport but I would love to find people to ride with? I don't know anyone here in Cedar that ride, and my fiance' says I don't go easy enough for her...
    We dont ever ride in Cedar but we do ride 3-4 times a week either in the evenings after work and usually one day outta the weekend. If your ever planning on coming down to st. george just PM me and we can most likely go riding somewhere, too many trails to choose from down here....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    3 Peaks Trail is fun and west of town. You can feel isolated if alone, didn't see a soul.
    Wait a while to tackle the beautiful but brutal Virgin River Rim Trail. Takes fitness for these steep grades.
    Fortunately UR in a world class riding area.
    agmtb

NMBP
    I'll second the Three Peaks. Take Main Street north, go over the I-15 overpass and keep heading north, you are now on Minersville Highway. In 2 or 3 miles you will come to a major road heading west, Midvalley Road. Turn west on that and go 4 or 5 miles through a stop sign, and up the hill. There is a sign that says bike trailhead. There is a map at the trailhead.

You can also contact Color Country Cycling Club for club rides. Get info at Cedar Cycle on 2nd South.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well I'm in pretty good shape. Used to run marathons, and I play Rugby for my college. But I do need to get in a little better riding shape. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can start riding the harder stuff. I ride my bike everywhere right now, all through town and I go on trails about 5x a week. With work permitting.
    Thanks for the cycling club info, I will definitely have to go back in to Cedar Cycle.

NMBP
    Well I'm in pretty good shape. Used to run marathons, and I play Rugby for my college. But I do need to get in a little better riding shape. Hopefully within the next couple of weeks I can start riding the harder stuff. I ride my bike everywhere right now, all through town and I go on trails about 5x a week. With work permitting.
    Thanks for the cycling club info, I will definitely have to go back in to Cedar Cycle.
    There is also the C Trail (if you like climbing), it still needs to dry out though.

Also the Red Hills Loop at the mouth of the canyon and behind the golf course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow. You must ride a lot up here. I heard the C-Trail was a really fun trail. Isn't it more of a Downhill type ride? I have been liking cross country rides so far. Coming from running for 2+ hrs or practice for 2hrs, I like to hop on my bike and ride for a long time. Im planing on going to St. George this week to ride.

NMBP
    Wow. You must ride a lot up here. I heard the C-Trail was a really fun trail. Isn't it more of a Downhill type ride? I have been liking cross country rides so far. Coming from running for 2+ hrs or practice for 2hrs, I like to hop on my bike and ride for a long time. Im planing on going to St. George this week to ride.
    I live in Cedar, very close to the C Trail. I walk my dogs on the C, but it's too steep up and down for me to enjoy it. For X-Country, you can't beat 3 Peaks. When it melts up above, VRRT, Q-Loop and Navajo are great.

I'd rather be biking...
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I live in Cedar, very close to the C Trail. I walk my dogs on the C, but it's too steep up and down for me to enjoy it. For X-Country, you can't beat 3 Peaks. When it melts up above, VRRT, Q-Loop and Navajo are great.

Looking forward to some sweet VRRT riding this summer!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What is the VRRT? You live here? I live right across the street from the school. We should go ride sometime? I usually go out behind Walmart right now, where all those dirt trails are. We should go ride sometime. Just let me know. On Wednesdays and Fridays I am open till 4pm then on Tuesdays and Thursdays I can go after 2:20 pm. So pm me if you want to ride.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbster15
    Looking forward to some sweet VRRT riding this summer!
    Snowing in Cedar at the moment.

@Jdenney, VRRT is the Virgin River Rim Trail. It goes from Woods Ranch past Navajo Lake to Strawberry Point, about 33 miles, but accessible in at least a dozen different points.

Thanks for the ride offer. I'm currently working until 5ish, so it needs to warm up (and stay that way) before I ride much locally.

Members who have read this thread: 0