St. George area trail guide book?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

St. George area trail guide book?

St. George area locals,

I'm planning a trip in April and am wondering if there is a trail guide book that the shops sell? If so, do all of them carry it or is there a shop you know of that I could get one from?Does the book cover the Hurricane/Virgin area or just St. George?

The threads of the area trails have me wishing april was tomorrow. The cold is started to eat me alive.

Thanks for your help all!

mtbr member
    Here's a couple you should be able to find:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bike-...e=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Bikin...e=UTF8&s=books

The first one, by Michael McCoy, also covers Moab and the four corners region in addition to St George and the Hurricane area. Trail descriptions are better but do not have elevation graphs, and he likes to make up names for trails rather than going by their established names, for instance, what he calls "Gooseberry Gander" is known by the rest of the universe as the "JEM" trail.

The second book, by Grubbs, is small enough to fit in a camelback and gives basic information, and also includes elevation graphs. Does not include Moab, etc. if that matters to you at all, but does cover Brianhead in addtion to Hurricane/St George.

Another good resource is utahmountainbiking.com, lots of St George trail descriptions there, but not as handy carrying a bunch of printouts on the trail.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

Good luck with your trip!

No, that's not phonetic
    I own both of the books mentioned above, and know the St. G area pretty well. The books are awful. Especially the St. George book. It mainly covers the least interesting rides in the area. You are much better off using the route descriptions on Utahmountainbiking.com and using google earth or terraserverusa.com to prepare your own map of the ride locations.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks to both of you for the information. I may just have to see if some local mtbr folks would be so kind as to show me around the area.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

adventuremap

It's not a guide book but is a great source of information.
    It covers from Springdale / Zion to St. George. Topo, waterproof, tear resistant, and one of the better views of the area in term of where you are and where you would like to go.
    Most shops in Southern Utah should have them, I picked one up at the local shop in Springdale. As well as www.utahmountainbiking.com, www.bikerag.com also does a good job on some of the area trails.

Hope something here is of use.

Oct 2005

Red Rock

Red Rock Bicycles, on Bluff, carries a small book with instructions to some of the local trails. The book isn't more helpful than anything published, but the guys there are pretty helpful, I find.

As has been mentioned, utahmountainbiking.com is a pretty good resource.

And if it is your first time in the area, you really can't beat the classics - JEM, Bearclaw Poppy, Gooseberry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool guys. This is a great start and I'll drop into the shops when I get down there. I appreciate all the input.

Feb 2007
    The trail guide are awfully hard to follow. The trails in the St George area are harder to find and to follow than in Moab. Be sure to check utahmountainbiking.com and mountainbikebuddies.com. Also the guys at Bicycles Unlimited (1st South and 1st East in St George) are great. Be careful...riding in SW Utah will spoil everywhere else for you.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Red Rocks bike shop on bluff is not publishing the book any more, but the good news is that they have a map in its place and it is better than the book.

I bought the map last trip and I was able to find a couple of rides that I didn't know about close to where we were staying. Pick it up and support the locals' effort to popularize their great trails in the MTB community.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love to drool over gear so I'll hit all the shops up and see what they have to offer for books and maps. I'm just itching to get down there and ride!

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When are you headed to St. George?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'll be down there in April. Roughly the 25-28. Probably be riding the entire St. George/Hurricane/Virgin region.

Leash Law Enforcer
    IMO, I would really try to hook up with some locals to ride the trails. Utahmountainbiking.com is helpful to some extent, but the locals know the trails like no other. Some of the trails down there can be downright hard to find, let alone follow. The shops I have been in down there are no help either.

Feb 2007
    You might email [email protected]. He will give you any information that you need about riding in SW Utah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks mbb. I may just do that. I'm assuming you are Mark and I have come across your site while searching out trail info. I'll shoot you an email once I have some specific questions.

Members who have read this thread: 0