St. George area: Current conditions and camping?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

St. George area: Current conditions and camping?

A couple of us are heading up from Flagstaff for three days next weekend to ride in St. George. I've got 3 questions:

First, what are the current trail conditions? Any wetness we should know of? How about road conditions heading out to Gooseberry? When I was there in may there were crazy insane ruts.

Second, are there any good places to camp at relatively low elevations? Maybe something not far from Green Valley? We are planning on camping at Gooseberry our first night since it will be closest for us to drive to and closest for us to hit the trail. But after that we'd like to be someplace warmer.

Third, here are the trails we're planning to hit.

DAY 1
    Goosebery Mesa
    Littlecreek Mesa

DAY 2
    Green Valley/Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs/Barrel/Race Course

DAY 3
    JEM-Goulds-Hurricane Rim (counter-clockwise?)
    Rockville Bench aka Slickrock Swamp

OTHER?
    Warner Valley
    Church Rocks/Prospector
    Owens, Pioneer, City Creek, Rusty Cliffs

Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary? Is there enough in the Green Valley area to keep us busy for a whole day? I've only explored a bit of it.

Thanks in advance for the info!
    Last edited by FishMan473; 02-05-2006 at 01:27 PM.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    The trail conditions are superb, the road to Goose needs a regrade just like every spring, but very passible.
    Unless you camp at an RV type park there is not much around town. Maybe you could outlaw camp down the road at the bottom of Bearclaw.

Why are you putting Goose and Little Creek on the same day? there is more than enough action on each one for a good day. I would mix in some of the lesser trails like this.

Day one:
    Gooseberry
    Grafton

Day two:
    Little Creek
    Slickrock swamp

Day Three:
    JEM
    Bearclaw/Barrels

There you have it. What you do w/ this wisdom is up to you.
    If you would like to rent-a-local let me know, I will see what I can do.

CGR

viva la v-brakes!
    Thanks for the input. I am somewhat familiar with the St. George area, but I have done a limited amount of riding there, only Slickrock Swamp, Green Valley and Broken Mesa. I am an expert rider with nearly unlimited endurance, but my riding partners are intermediate riders with less endurance. I think they'd be up for some challenges, but probably not for regular beatings on all the hardest trails.

Anyway, I put Gooseberry and Little Creek mesas on the same day simply because they are close together. Plus, there's, what? 15-20 miles of trails on Gooseberry? I'm sure there's more, but not being familiar with the area I expect to only find so many trails. We will be starting bright and early in the morning so I don't expect we'll have much riding left by early afternoon. Same with Little Creek, I hear it is unmarked and confusing, so I figured spend the mid-late afternoon there and see what we can find.

I figured we'd spend the whole day 2 down near Green Valley simply because it is at lower elevation and warmer. Day 3 would kind of move us back towards heading home, yet get us some riding in and a drive through Zion on our way.

Mostly, I'm just trying to reduce driving and packing/unpacking time, so as to make best use of our limited time. I'll look at your suggestions as well as trail reviews and develop a plan tonight. Are there any other good sources of info besides mtbr and utahmountainbiking.com? Any further suggestions would be great.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Isisrider
    I have camped at Snow Canyon state park which is close to Green Valley but not close to Gooseberry. If you want to reduce driving why are you going from Gooseberry into St. George and then back out by Zion again.
    I was just down there camping a couple of weeks ago. We stayed in Snow Canyon first night rode Church rocks and prospector trail and Green Valley and the Race course then moved out to Virgin and camped. We rode Gooseberry and Goulds and the Jem trail. There is some camping in Springdale and in Zions but remember you are a little higher so it won't be as warm. Virgin River RV resort in Virgin is a little expensive, but nice showers and a hot tub and you can ride from camp to the Jem trail.

have fun
    Isisrider

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    A couple of us are heading up from Flagstaff for three days next weekend to ride in St. George. I've got 3 questions:

First, what are the current trail conditions? Any wetness we should know of? How about road conditions heading out to Gooseberry? When I was there in may there were crazy insane ruts.

Second, are there any good places to camp at relatively low elevations? Maybe something not far from Green Valley? We are planning on camping at Gooseberry our first night since it will be closest for us to drive to and closest for us to hit the trail. But after that we'd like to be someplace warmer.

Third, here are the trails we're planning to hit.

DAY 1
    Goosebery Mesa
    Littlecreek Mesa

DAY 2
    Green Valley/Bearclaw Poppy/Stucki Springs/Barrel/Race Course

DAY 3
    JEM-Goulds-Hurricane Rim (counter-clockwise?)
    Rockville Bench aka Slickrock Swamp

OTHER?
    Warner Valley
    Church Rocks/Prospector
    Owens, Pioneer, City Creek, Rusty Cliffs

Does this sound like a reasonable itinerary? Is there enough in the Green Valley area to keep us busy for a whole day? I've only explored a bit of it.

Thanks in advance for the info!
    All the trails out here are in killer shape at the moment. Road to Goose is buff enough for 2wd at the moment.

Park at the rim past the windmill on Gooseberry (take the right fork at the restroom) and riding all the trails from there gives you 18 miles - about 2:45 at non-stop expert pace. The single track starts and hugs the rim heading West right where the road hits the rim.

Day 2: Add Bloomington Mesa for some fun on this day and you can ride until cooked in the GV area. Bloomington Mesa is the big lump of mesa to the south of the Green Valley Gap and has a fun single track climbing up it and along the top rim.

Day 3: Goulds/Jem/HRim is in awesome shape as is Church rocks and prospector.

Looks like you have a fun 3 days planned out here.

Free camping on the BLM near the GV race course. Paid camping at Sand Hollow Reservoir state park or Quail State park puts you between Jem and Church Rocks.

Have fun hombres...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I just got back from St George this weekend.

Mid 50's, mostly dry. No snow on the ground. Sure beats the weather up here.

I was biking in thin gym shorts the whole time.

Members who have read this thread: 0