St george- Mtbr.com

Thread: St george

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

St george

Headed to st George next weekend. Going to arrive Friday evening and ride Saturday and Sunday. Wondering where the best free tent camping is and any trail recommendations. Intermediate to advanced skill, prob looking at 20-30 miles/day

mtbr member
    I know it's crazy long but the St George/Hurricane trip planner above has alot of great info.
    Most people that want to camp for free just drive up to Gooseberry Mesa to do so. You'll see all the dispersed spots there where people have been camping for years. That makes it possible to just start riding all that Gooseberry has to offer right from your campsite. the downside of that plan is that you have to drive back down the hill / access road to get to all the other riding areas. You *could* ride that road down to the other trails (and back up) which may be the best way to get 30 miles out there. People post about doing it but I've never seen anybody riding up the road. pay attention to the weather because if it rains, to access road up to the mesa can get UGLY.

Aside from spending one whole day riding all that Gooseberry Mesa has to offer, assuming you have good weather, you can spend the next day doing the JEM/Hurricane/Goulds loop which I *think* is about 23 miles. There's plenty of off-shoot trails (Goosebumps, Cryptobionic, More Cowbell, etc...) to get 30 miles. It's definitely XC type stuff. If you like more techy features, check out the Boy Scout Trails which some people don't like but I love the challenge out there.

Lastly, stop by the Over the Edge bike shop in Hurricane on your way thru town and they can tell you what trails have the best conditions. They also have a group ride, probably mid to upper intermediate paced, every Saturday.
    Carpe Diem!!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    15 miles on the Goose can be a long ride if you aren't a regular and very strong.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    The weather looks a bit iffy right now for free tent camping anywhere but the paid camp locations might be good fall back option. Try Sheep Bridge Road in the middle of the JEM Trail system. You will be much closer to services but yet remote and in the middle of a great location for Zion Park, Gooseberry views. Just drive out the gravel road and make a quick stop on a side road or turnout. If it gets too wet you can still make an exit on a gravel road back to civilization. If needed I can turn you onto the trails that can handle the rain. Hope this helps, it is what I do for those unfamiliar with this amazing place we call home.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    You do not want to camp on the Goose if there is substantial rain. That road gets really bad for a few days. During Oct 2014 Rampage a Hummer was totally stuck.

Sheep Bridge is a good option if it could rain as mentioned.

There is also nice camping among the junipers at the Guacamole TH and it is easy to get to Springdale or Hurricane. Again, don't do that if it rains.

We camp at Zion River Park but they have only 7 sites. They are small, $43, and most include electricity, gravel base makes rain camping easy and you can escape to the hot tub and social room. Nice showers. Views of the Red Bull Rampage site.

We ride Hurricane and Moab about 6 weeks a year now and mix it up between camping, RV park cabins, the hostel in Moab, and a few motels. Keeps costs down while being comfortable during storms, winds, and cold snaps.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Rain is really messing up my plans. I'm coming from Kingman az. Was planning on Sedona first but rain is in the forecast there as well as Prescott and flag. Hopefully one of these places will be dry

mtbr member
    I've never ridden Sedona in the rain but the guys at the shop told me it holds up awesome. I'm guessing due to the fact there is no clay in the dirt.

I've ridden at Church Rocks while it actively snowed and rained on us with no problems. The guys at Over the Edge say that the Boy Scout Trails hold up even better. I *hear* Zen and maybe a couple others are good to go the day after a rain. Gooseberry & Guacamole are ridable after some rain but getting to them is the issue.

I know nothing about Flag or Presskit in the rain...we're supposed to get rain in SoCal too. Glad I'll be out of town
    Carpe Diem!!