SSers - what's your ratio?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

SSers - what's your ratio?

Thinking of making my hard tail stumpy into a SS possibly this fall some time. It is only a 26er (would love a 29er SS but probably too poor right now ) so this 26er it is.. What ratio are you guys riding and is this a good general "Northern Utah" ratio in your opinions? Good for climbing and most of the technical up here?

goo
    Mar 2006
    I ride a 32x18, and it works good for me in Park City, but I just ride my SS for something different a couple times a month. And I'm kinda a wimp.

Bend, OR
    34-20 is about all I can handle for climbing around here.

I'd like to run 30-17, but I'd need new cranks/money for that.

Bored Carp
    I have a 32/20 on my 29er SS. Awesome for PC, do-able for the Shoreline, though that trail tends to be a bit steeper in places than the PC trails.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I rode a 32/20 29er the other day.. Seemed really fast.. Good once you get up to altitude for the XC in PC, but a little tough on the climbs. Even 1 tooth more in the cog would have been better. I ride almost all 26" bikes but am going to have to figure out what this ratio would be in 26" size...

mtbr member
    I'm running a 34-17, but I walk the steepest parts and don't SS all the time.

mtbr member
    Not from UT but the trails up here are similar... We run 34X21 or 32X20 on 26" SS. We ride SS about 80% of the time and typically do quite a bit of climbing... The lower gear allows us to ride SS all week without blowing out the legs...

Bored Carp
    I used to ride a 2 to 1 on my 26 SS, but in the end, it really inhibited my ability to clean challenging sections - I was too anerobic to focus on skill. I could hammer up fireroads, but after 2 or 3 uphill challenges, I was off the bike and out of air.

If you find yourself walking a lot, you might find that SSing is more fun with a smaller gear, like a 34-19. Going smaller allows a rider to clean more of the uphill/technical stuff. For places like Gooseberry, you might even like a 34/21 (a much more playful gear). (Gooseberry is one of the best places I have ever ridden a SS, BTW. Perfect rhythm).

Don't worry, it will still be hard and you will still go anerobic and have a chance to test your abilities when working at a high heart rate. Your hipflexors will still be exhausted, but you will be a lot higher on the mountain.

Cheers,
    C
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    I used to ride a 2 to 1 on my 26 SS, but in the end, it really inhibited my ability to clean challenging sections - I was too anerobic to focus on skill. I could hammer up fireroads, but after 2 or 3 uphill challenges, I was off the bike and out of air.

If you find yourself walking a lot, you might find that SSing is more fun with a smaller gear, like a 34-19. Going smaller allows a rider to clean more of the uphill/technical stuff. For places like Gooseberry, you might even like a 34/21 (a much more playful gear). (Gooseberry is one of the best places I have ever ridden a SS, BTW. Perfect rhythm).

Don't worry, it will still be hard and you will still go anerobic and have a chance to test your abilities when working at a high heart rate. Your hipflexors will still be exhausted, but you will be a lot higher on the mountain.

Cheers,
    C
    Yeah, that's probably a good idea. And I can imagine Gooseberry would be perfect. My favorite SS trail so far is Sovreign in Moab.... Oooh, or maybe John's up in Park City. (Though we climbed up Spiro, which was NOT fun in that gear. Good God.)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    Not from UT but the trails up here are similar... We run 34X21 or 32X20 on 26" SS. We ride SS about 80% of the time and typically do quite a bit of climbing... The lower gear allows us to ride SS all week without blowing out the legs...
    "we/us/we/us" I don't know if I should be jealous of the solidarity or fear the borg collective up north in the gem state.

But seriously; 32:20 on a 29er has always hit the spot for me in the wasatch and I never change it elsewhere (past month was PC, montrose, fruita and 24 hours on moab).

Run watcha brung.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    A 32x20 on a 29" is roughly equivalent to a 32X18 on a 26" bike. You can generally subtract two teeth to get a close-enough match.

Run watcha brung is great advice, but there is always a "magic gear" for your local trails that you should definitely try to find. Struggling up a hill in a big gear is never as fast as turning a gear that is just a bit easier. I made the mistake a few years ago running 2-1 at Sea Otter when I should have stuck with my favorite 34x18. Just a one tooth difference, but it cost me too much effort on the first lap and was making me get off the bike when I was tired on the second lap. Cogs are pretty cheap, and swapping is easy.

Connie, if you want to experiment, we have loaner cogs. Although it's a bit late with the snow and rain storms rolling through.

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was actually doing pretty well with the 29er 32/20 ratio.. But then I popped the chain again lugging up hillls really having to jam it down. The traction of the 29er was just killer though, you could stand up and lean way forward and not have any spin out. Anyway maybe the ticket is 32/19 or so... I might start messing around with the geared bike and seeing what I like it in... That is how I found the perfect ratio for my townie.. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I'm running 46/16 on my commuter.... with 26 X 1.25 tires. Super fast and zippy.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A 32/18 or 32/20 is a solid ratio on a 26" around N. Utah. I ride with a 33/21 when I steal my friends 29er, it lets me do about anything I want, and is absolutely perfect on Gooseberry Mesa.

Fartographer

Good Thread!

I was looking at my ss a couple of days ago and thinking about how it needs to get more attention. I moved from California in the spring and it's only had three rides, I think. My gearing is 34:19 and for the trails I want to ride, that's just too much. I've ridden City Creek to Bobsled once this year and I was blowing up before I got to the left-hand switchback with the fence. You know the one. It sucks. Other than that, I rode it twice on shuttled Mid-Mountain rides with people who don't like to climb. On those it was awesome. I have been thinking about changing the gearing to 34:20. I think one more cog and one season here might do the trick.

Oh yeah - it's a 26-inch Jericho. It's a fun bike. But SLC has made me love more travel and a little ring
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Bend, OR
    Yeah, just did that climb out of City Creek yesterday for my first real ride in about three months. It was just as brutal as I thought it would be.

34-20 seems alright for most things around here, I just wish I could have a smaller ring in front. I bet you'd enjoy it a little more if you went one tooth bigger in the back.

Members who have read this thread: 0