Squaw Peak DH closing!! WE NEED HELP!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Squaw Peak DH closing!! WE NEED HELP!!

The forest service is working on a wildlife habitat project up squaw peak. Their plan is to create better habitat/wintering grounds for the deer, elk, turkeys, etc... In the process they are closing down any unmarked/mapped trails. Our downhill trail being one of them. They already tore up the whole upper section to the make-out-point look outbelow the un-ridable.

TRAIL MEETING TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 14TH PLEASANT GROVE FOREST SERVICE STATION BACK OF BLDG. THEY WILL BE TALKING ABOUT THE TRAIL CLOSURES. WE NEED EVERYONE WE CAN GET TO COME TO THE MEETING!! LET THEM KNOW HOW IMPORTANT SQUAW PEAK TRAIL and all other trails are TO US. WILL LET THEM KNOW HOW BENEFICIAL TRAILS OUR TO OUR COMMUNITY. THE MORE COOPERATIVE WE ARE IN SHOWING OUR SUPPORT, THE MORE WILLING THEY WILL BE IN WORKING WITH US. HOWEVER WE NEED TO GET OUR POINT ACROSS! ( WE ARE WILLING TO HELP THEM ON TRAIL PROJECTS, BUT BOTTOM LINE IS WE WANT AN END RESULT, OUR TRAIL BACK!) IF THEY DON'T GIVE US OUR TRAIL/WANT TO COOPERATE WITH US, WE WILL NEVER HELP ON ANY TRAIL BUILDING PROJECTS! BASICALLY WILL VENTURE OFF AN BUILD OUR OWN. AND CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS ON ALL TRAILS THAN THEY KNOW WHAT TO DEAL WITH, UNTIL THEY REALIZE WE ARE NOT GOING TO STOP!

I got this info from Shane Finch who is working with Steve Winters. We need their support to try and keep these trails open. Any questions, i'll try to answer them

mtbr member
    Do you have an FS project manager e-mail address where we can post comments?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    i don't have steve winters info...never met him but apparently he's a really amazing asset to the community and is really well respected. shane finch's email is [email protected]. he's heading up kinda getting all of us downhillers together

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Guys!
    -Remember! We need as many people as possible at the pleasant grove service station(go north on the street next to the purple turtle) Just make it a priority!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I think things got a bit misconstrued. This is like the little kids whisper game to see how a sentence changes as it's whispered around the circle. The committee meeting next week is not the right type of forum to show up en masse and voice your concerns over this downhill trail. It is not like a city council meeting for the public to offer comment. This is a small forest user committee that 8-10 of us were asked to serve on. This isn't a decision or policy making committee and we have no authority whatsoever. That would be better addressed at another time and place in front of the decision makers. The committee meeting agenda I received today has us discussing officially designated trails, their usage and user groups. User created trails will be discussed at another time. In my talking with Shane I never intended to convey that this committee meeting is the place for public comment. Again, it is not. We are not that type of committee. I will pass along any new information if there is any. I apologize for any misunderstanding.
    As for me, I'm just a volunteer that likes working on our 14 or so miles of officially adopted trails in American Fork Canyon. As a volunteer I have no authority and cannot make decisions on forest issues so please don't look to me as one who can legalize the Squaw Peak Trail. I cannot. I think it would be great to have a downhill designated trail and have told the Forest Service as much but that's about all I can do. I still believe your getting involved (like with the trailwork day tomorrow) will go along way in helping your cause. I hope I haven't discouraged any of you from not coming to help tomorrow. We would still love your help, but keep in mind that this is a trailwork day and not a 5 hour question and answer period from the Forest Service. We have a lot to get done tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Steve Winters

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    ah....thanks for the info! looks like info got a little jumbled along the way. sorry about that

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Does anyone know if you ride the Squaw Peak as described in the gps or google earth file here, http://www.netlobo.com/squaw-peak-mo...ike-trail.html, will you be able to ride the whole thing, or has part of the trail been shut down?

I was thinking of possibly riding it tomorrow and doing a shuttle.

mtbr member
    any updates?!?? and will the upper portion be rebuildable??

Members who have read this thread: 0