squaw peak- Mtbr.com

Thread: squaw peak

ride more.
    Nov 2004

squaw peak

anyone know when squaw peak will be opening?

soon hopefully?

The Sentinel

Is there more than one Squaw Peak?

The Squaw peak I am familiar with is in the High Uintas Wilderness area...is there more than one?
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    yes - just outside of Provo.

mtbr member
    i dont know when it opens but when it does we need to get everyone up there and start building it up. . we need to dig while the ground is wet

ride more.
    Nov 2004

i will dig everyday after finals. every day.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    anyone else up for some digging? soon?

mtbr member
    I've been looking for new trails on SP.... people have been raving and sharing tall tales of the riding up there. Like there is some sort of DH/FR scene happening right under my nose. Is this all just hearsay or are there really people out there building up there? Because if it is true then I would like to know because I can definitely help in building and I can see what I can do to ride.

If this is an exclussive thing and you're trying to keep it from people then I understand and I think it is totally ghey. I tell people I enjoy biking because the "fun and all inclusive" culture it seems to have... which is the minimum standard. And if you don't want to include new people then I wouldn't want to ride with your pompous A.

I'm not a bike snob, a punk, or a whining queer.... rather I hate it when I go out of my way to run down riders and say hello and they tend to be all up tight and stuff. If that is their way of saying "you're not good enough"..or..."it is only a cool thing that cool people can do"... or ..."we don't have room for you're bike in our truck"... or ..."it is our secret spot and we don't want people to know"...or even just... "we don't want to be responsible for your crashes and hauling you down the mountain".........Then just say it and don't be a queer about it. I just want to ride......

To be truthful I have a ton of ideas for trails... and I see lines very well... and I'm creative in making new lines.... having been to Whistler, Virgin, and all over the place. I would love to merge my crew with anyone else out there. We do need a more inclusive DH/FR scene/community.
    Bikeless Rider

ride more.
    Nov 2004

sounds good to me. This is not at all an exclusive club of bad a$$ riders and bad a$$ trails. I just love to ride. Period. Check your PMs. I would be stoked to get together with your crew and do some real building up there. Some of the "secrecy" around the mountain is nothing more than not wanting stuff to get torn down by hikers, XC guys, and equestrians (which has happened in the past). As soon as you want to ride, let me know. I am always down for more riding. A lot more. An I street session would be great, as would any other riding here locally that we could do. Last spring, a group of us was hiking up that freaking mountain every Saturday to dig. Lets do it again.

mtbr member
    I street is money right now.

How can i work at GR and not know who and just where the stunts/fr trails are at Squaw??

Someone call or write me so i can come dig and ride!!!
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member

already digging

Hey dr robo, i was up there digging yesterday night. . the bottom half of the trail near the wall ride is rideable. yesterday it was totally dry. i am working on the jumps below the wallride. I built up the first jump in about an hour by myself. the dirt is so soft right now. we need to get a few guys up there with shovels, i think we could build up the whole line in a couple of hours. those six jumps have alot of potential. call me and lets go dig.

Anyone else interested in building/riding the squaw peak trail let me know.. it is not an "exclusive" thing at all. Anyone who wants to build up the trails is welcome. . All you utah county people who are sick of driving to I-street. . COME HELP DIG! I ride with a group of about 8 dudes, and only 3 of them are motivated enough to build, so any help is aprreciated.

I will be digging alot this week. . .

mtbr member
    wyrm- the only exclusive dudes are those queers who have matching bikes. . the "demo" crew. . led by the purple fork dork, you know who you are.... brokeback...

ride more.
    Nov 2004

LOL

who are you freebird? shoot me a PM with you tele.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Dr. Boudreaux,
    No promises, but if I make it oul there this summer I'd be glad to make some runs down the mountain. Maybe I'll have more of a DH rig by then to repalce my Enduro and then I might be able to follow you close enough this time.
    Did you race in SG last weekend?

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I street is money right now.
    Was up at I St. the Saturday before last, and I must be looking at a different I Street than you. Bridges down. Broken wood studded with rusty nails everywhere. Lower beginner line has pretty much gone to h*ll. Lips destroyed. And who dug the living crap out of what was once the nice ravine drop/step-up? I used to love that thing..and on a hardtail, to boot! Now, it just scares me. I'm all for progressive lines, but please leave the shi*t alone that worked, especially for riders older than 15 who break easy and take months - not days - to heal. Create a new line or alternative and leave the established stuff alone except for maintenance/small tweaks.

Either I'm missing some nice new stuff up there, or I'm just getting too old for this sport...

mtbr member
    I agree that last time I was up.... over 6months ago.... everything good was taken out. That place was really beginner friendly when I first started there. One dude I was talkin' to said that it "creates more risk and is more exhilerating and a bigger rush"..... what ever that means. If your looking for more risk just do it with no helmet, pads, and a Huffy.
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    the step up at i street used to be fun, but last time i was there it had been built up so high it was all i could do to get over it. . and all the ladders had been destroyed. i dont understand why people dont build new lines instead of changing all the exsisting ones. .
    laziness is a sad thing.

anyways wasn't this thread about squaw peak?

i street is fun, but it is way overrated. . .

anybody else ready for something new?

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    anybody else ready for something new?
    Sorry for the thread hijack. Needed a brief vent session, as I St. used to be my favorite early-season place to ease back into jumping, etc. Now? Pffft! Dumb, dangerous and superfluous. I'm definitely ready for something new!

Any plans/idea/random thoughts for stuff in the immediate SLC vicinity? I'm right by Tanner Park but, again, for me - i.e. old and in need of significant warm-up before hitting bigger stuff - the lines are just way to big to hit out of the winter gate. One wimp and one semi-wimp line would go a long way towards getting my air legs back under me.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    No more whining!

Tomorrow saturday the 8th. Its sunny and still wet. Bring yer shovel.

See ya there.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    sounds sweet. i will see you there.

mmm bacon

what time at I street

Early am, if so I can help, later is no good for me got stuck working a double.
    JK

Apr 2006
    I am in P town every thursday... If you guys are up for digging then, I will be more than glad to help.

mtbr member
    im planning on digging up at squaw tonight, and alot this week, if anyone else is interested.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

where will you be on the mountain and what time will you be there?

i will try to head up there, though i will have to run home and get my shovel unless there are some hidden tools up there...

let me know. shoot me a PM

mtbr member
    digging around the area near the wallride, bottom of trail. we will be there around 5 or so. bring your shovel and rake if you have one. call me for details.

mtbr member
    by the way did you ever get that footage i emailed you of the pc trail? remember the ladders? if you didn't i still have it.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    yeah i got it. thanks. now i am knowing who this be. i will definitely be there. you still planning on Whistler with JT, etc.?

Apr 2006
    Did we ever determine the time frame that Squaw would be open yet??? Also anyone interested in City Creek this weekend?

mtbr member
    we will be digging at squaw again today if any one is interested in showing up.
    all you utah county riders....you should come dig.
    ---invest in the upcoming season---

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I guess I should have looked at the Utah forum earlier. I've been driving all the way up to I st the last couple weekends and tonight. I always though that some good stuff could be built coming off Squaw Peak. Count me in for a lot of digging, espcecially once my night classes end in a couple weeks.

Oh, and fwiw, I st IS money right now. Spent a bunch of hours on Saturday cleaning up the lefty line and the step-up and built a new/easier step-up just to the right of the original. Rode it tonight. Love that place but it'll be nice to have somewhere closer. Shoot me a pm whenever you guys go out and dig again.

mtbr member
    we will be digging again tomorrow night, after 5. . below the wallride. we've got 4 jumps built up already. . its getting good

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't think I can make it tomorrow or the next week or so until school is over. But thanks for the heads up. I'm stoked there is some stuff being built close by. And Squaw Peak get some great afternoon/evening light, so you guys better be ready to **** it up for the camera once the road is open and the digging is done.

Oh, freebird, can you pm me the directions to where you guys are building?

It's been a few years since I've ridden up there and I have no idea where the wallride you are talking about is.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Heading up there today, dirt should be soft since it rained yesterday. Maybe see some of you guys up there again...
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

sorry - no digging for me today. i am preparing to assume the position for my final on monday. i am strecthing out my hammys so i can get a good grip on my ankles for monday morning.

mtbr member
    i was hoping to get up there today but it looks like its going to rain all day. i was up there on friday and i started working on the 4th jump, just piling dirt . . im sure we will need to do some raking to get rid of the ruts from the rain. i will be digging tomorrow for sure, so if anyone else is interested. .

that was a fun session last week. .

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll be up there on Weds night if anyone else wants to throw some dirt around, move landings out and build up #4.

Apr 2006

squaw

Hey, when this crap melts, i'm down to help dig anywhere. And I guess I've got finals too, but you gotta have your priorities. Anyone who is planning on doing any digging let me know. I'm in SLC but i can come down. Or if anyone is working on I st. Lemme know.
    I'd be there Wednesday but that's my last class night.

[email protected]

Do I smell a Finch?

mtbr member
    im down to dig on wed but i wont get there till 7. i can dig all day on thurs though. it looks like someone has pushed out the landing on the 2nd jump since we were all up there. i worked on the 3rd a little, fixed the lip and stuff, but the landing needs to be longer. if we can get the 4th built up it will be a sick line. .

Apr 2006
    Get a hold of me. I wanna come help out on Thursday. I can't make it until probably 6:30 or 7 cuz I'm coming down from SLC after work. But definitely want to help out.
    Send me PM and I'll give you my number. Or email me. [email protected]

we are talking about Squaw Peak right? or is it I st.?
    Last edited by cree; 04-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    i was riding up there this afternoon, super fun.. the 2nd jump feels good but the lip needs a little love. the 3rd lip is perfect but the landing needs to be extended. . the 4th needs alot of work..
    the dirt is perfect for digging right now. . i don't know if i'll get up there tonight but tomorrow for sure. .

dr bod are you still alive?

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I am still alive. I have had two finals so far this week. The one on Monday kicked my tail, the one this morning was OK. I am living on an average of 3 hours of sleep per night right now, so I took a nice long nap this afternoon. I can prolly head up tomorrow to dig at some point. Just let me know when you will be up there. I think that I have an engagement at 3pm, but after that, I should be fair game. I have one more final this week and one next Wednesday. Let me know and I will head out there. I want to start riding finally. Rumor is that my last two finals should be cake, so I am anxious to ride.

Doc

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Just got back from some digging and riding.

Built out and up the landing on both number 1 and 2. Also, gave some lip service to number two. It's feeling pretty good right now.

Nice effort with #4, but dang that thing is waaaaaayyyyy too tight. I cleaned up that lip a bit as well. The dirt is good for both diggin and riding. I can't make it up tomorrow, but possibly Friday, or Saturday if I'm not skiing or up at I-St or Tanners.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    i will try to head up tomorrow afternoon or early evening. friday i should be money to dig (as long as I have finished my final). saturday i am down for riding and digging. all that i have left is multiple choice questions, so i am stoked to start riding again.

mtbr member
    I'll help dig - can do most evenings or weekends (but probably not this one, sorry). If you're still looking for help, PM me with details.

Apr 2006
    If any of you are sending out pm's when you are digging, send me them too. Also I just moved to SLC, let me know when any of you are up at I street. If anyone is interested, we are going to moab next week and we are going to ride the upper down hill trail that empties into P-rim. Not many people know about this trail and it is sick. It by-passes most of the up hill of p-rim.

Please start shooting me pms.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

is anyone digging tomorrow? or going to I street? I want to ride. exams are over (pretty much).

mtbr member
    dude nice work on the second jump cs.. i worked on the 3rd and 4th a little more.. they still need major help but its slow going when your digging alone.
    lets get a session going on mon or tues night. i want to shoot some photos up there.

dr bobo i cant ride today but nest week some time for sure. i was up there last night it was sick

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by freebird79
    dude nice work on the second jump cs.. i worked on the 3rd and 4th a little more.. they still need major help but its slow going when your digging alone.
    lets get a session going on mon or tues night. i want to shoot some photos up there.

dr bobo i cant ride today but nest week some time for sure. i was up there last night it was sick

Monday evening works best for me. I'll be wanting a couple hours away from the books by then. I'll probably be up there around 6 ish until dark to dig and ride.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

i will be up there tonight then. i was going to head up to I street, but if peeps are going to be at the local jumps, i will head there. i brought my shovel and bike to school today, so i will head up whenever (6ish).

mike

mtbr member
    im down to ride tonight.. i wonder if it will be muddy though. dr robo give me a call if you see this post. i will come up if it is rideable..

mtbr member
    I can dig on Tuesday but don't know where to meet at. PM me with details - or, if you guys are keeping this on the downlow that's ok just say the word & I'll quit offering to help.

Prof

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    i will head up there in about 30 minutes. i will call you when i get up there. i think it should be good though. it didnt rain too much and has been suny most of the day.

mtbr member
    lets session tonight! anyone who wants to come ride should. the jumps are open to any and all who want to dig and ride....

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Prof -

Check your PMs. I will be heading up there this afternoon and will likely be there tonight as well if people want to ride.

C_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'll be there again.

The work I thought I was going to be doing has been postponed and we didn't actually jump much yesterday. See ya up there around sixer.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

freebird -

thx for the building over the last few weeks. the jumps are sweet. we built up the upper jump by the wall ride this afternoon. when you come up it will be saweet.

so...lets see some pics. see you in moab bro.

doc

mtbr member

squaw pics!

here are some photos from yesterdays session.. what do you all think?
    dr. robocop.. i have some pics of you but they are on my other computer at home. i will post them or email them to you when i get back.. they turned out good too. i havent gone through all of them yet.

everyone.. the squaw sessions have been fun, sorry to say im heading to moab for the summer(not that sorry) but hopefully people will continue to develop the area, and the whole trail once it opens.. if anyone comes to moab pm me and we will go get our shred on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    hey everyone i posted some photos but they are a few posts above this for some reason
    (scroll UP)

Jan 2004
    Check it check it... the trails are open!! Anybody got any shuttles going?? My girl doesn't know how to drive manual so I'm pretty much stuck

Members who have read this thread: 0