The Spine v. 2.0?- Mtbr.com
    Fragglepuss The Chaste

The Spine v. 2.0?

Myself, Bortis, Cathy Crusher and White Tube Socks hit up the Crest yesterday evening.

Despite all the blown out corners and RC car-type whoop-de-do's (formerly known as braking bumps) on the WCC, more dust than you could shake a dusty dust rag at, and motoring to keep out of reach of the Pedros riders it was a decent ride with only two guys chooching Bortis's descent out Mill D and pulling the Holier than Thou rider attitude and not pulling over to let the faster riders past-forcing him to endure a few minutes of a lycra hyde high post skipping off rocks and bar ends getting yanked from side to side from all the tall weeds.

Now this was the first time this year that myself, Bortis and White Tube Socks have hit up the Crest so that may have played into what I'm about to reveal. Well, that and the fact that due to all the dust I wasn't entirely certain I was riding the Crest at all as I couldn't see anything but a haze of light brown.

Upon approaching the Spine Bortis and I found our old line leading up to the highline of the Spine to be completely gone. Taking a slightly janky line to left and then cutting back hard to the right we were finally on top while Cathy Crusher and White Tube Socks took the round-about line way off to the left. Our momentum was incheck yet I watched as Bortis's front wheel was sucked into a hole and he was forced to execute a track stand that would make any emo-hipster jealous. Wratcheting his pedal he popped out and continued along the ridge. Seeing him getting caught up, I took my fingers off the brakes and got light on the bike.

After getting over the hole I was on top and following Bortis and quickly noticed that the ridge of the Spine was about half the width as last year and much rougher.

Now, I realize that over thousands of years water and weather will slowly wear down rock AND that we had a slightly wetter winter this year, but still. That's not natural at all. Either both of our Alzheimers have gotten the best of us finally or someone's been up there with a jack hammer, sledge hammer or all those guys on Trek hardtails have been repeatedly crashing and taking out the rock with their egg shell helmeted heads.

Smooth the cheater line out to the left so White Tube Socks can keep his flow on, but leave the ridge alone. Before it was a puckering challenge of sorts, but now it's on the verge of just becoming dangerous and dumb. Pot holes are for fatty's in the valley driving their fat wife and 4 kids in their Topaz a block to get a two day old hot dog from 7-11, not that sweet rock outcropping on one of our last infamous trails.

Mid-Mountain RIP.
    Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 07-21-2010 at 09:58 AM.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I broke my jackhammer removing roots from John's, so it wasn't me. Maybe it's just an optical illusion caused by wider handlebars?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't venture up on the sharp end of the spine myself ... but really? I find it hard to believe someone would make it harder to ride.... Only possibility is that they read this forum, and decided to exact their revenge upon you. But feels like conspiracy theory to me. I'm going with natural weathering.

Was also up there last night, and generally everyone acted nicely. (yes, its total luck of the draw and timing) One guy wanted to know if I was riding fast because I was late to a party ... he must not have realized I was AT the party, and going fast is part of that party, but he actually had pedaled his way up from Mill-D, so he was "alright" by me. If you didn't drive your way up, you're free and clear, in my view.

Generally musing about the trail improvements however, and I'll go out on a limb...I think its Wasatch Crest Shuttle and their clientèle that are making the changes. They seem to all be downhill based/smooth out type changes (except SLCMR's spinal tap ) .... designed to make a paying client happy. (Yeah, that was fun, but its sure rocky out there....) I'm sure I'll take heat for suggesting its Wasatch Crest Shuttle..but... I would tax the crest shuttlers if I could. ( pure snobbery, i'll admit it )

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I broke my jackhammer removing roots from John's, so it wasn't me. Maybe it's just an optical illusion caused by wider handlebars?
    Bortis is running wider bars and wider shorts, but I've got the same old clapped out wide bars held together by a sliver of anodized paint that I ran last year.

Good theory though.

I almost thought I was thrown off because I'm running my saddle canted .000043 degrees lower in the front and my brakes levers are positioned to accomodate the lower saddle nose. But I doubt that's it.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk
    I don't venture up on the sharp end of the spine myself ... but really? I find it hard to believe someone would make it harder to ride.... Only possibility is that they read this forum, and decided to exact their revenge upon you. But feels like conspiracy theory to me. I'm going with natural weathering.
    I guess my theory is that this may either be one of two situations or both:

1. Bortis and I were just having an 'off' evening on the Spine.

2. It's a work in progress and not yet complete.

It's quite obvious that a lot of rock has been removed/altered to accomodate the cheater line to the left and smooth it out-whatever, that's fine as it has always been a bit janky and definitely needed something done to the exit. The weather had nothing to do with any of this.

I really doubt it was the Wasatch Crest Shuttle guy/business. I've met him and spoke with him a bit back when he used to run the shuttle for the Bountiful Bomber DH race and I doubt he has the time/interest, etc... to do anything like that up there.

Talentless Hack

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Upon approaching the Spine Bortis and I found our old line leading up to the highline of the Spine to be completely gone. Taking a slightly janky line to left and then cutting back hard to the right we were finally on top while Cathy Crusher and White Tube Socks took the round-about line way off to the left. Our momentum was incheck yet I watched as Bortis's front wheel was sucked into a hole and he was forced to execute a track stand that would make any emo-hipster jealous. Wratcheting his pedal he popped out and continued along the ridge. Seeing him getting caught up, I took my fingers off the brakes and got light on the bike.
    I noticed that on Sunday when I got caught up in the junk show that is the Crest on a weekend. I entered the spine with such nonchalance I felt French and scoffed at the weaker mortals walking their bikes down the left line. I was a god in my own mind and all was splendid until the high line was gone and I was forced to take a left down into the crowd, hit a hole and had to make a hasty dismount. I was bummed

My theory; a pack of Boy Scouts is earning their trail maintenance merit badge.
    Sierra Club Sucks

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I guess in hindsight, this is the polar opposite (at least for now) of all the trail numbing going on elsewhere. Well, this and the new section of the Trail Formerly Known As The Mid-Mountain.
    If you want to get your rocky, bumpy trail on the WCC, Crest and Upper Mill D will definitely fit the bill.
    At the very least the Spine is a bit more of a challenge now (progression?) but I just hope we're not right in the middle of some master plan to pave a line right down the middle.

Given what I saw as my sphincter slowly relaxed and Bortis released his shaking, sobbing bear hug from me was what looked like the beginnings of shaving things down a bit without much guidance or forethought.

Even with the likes of JMH's powerful pocket jackhammer (patents pending) it would take more than one visit to level that thing.

Waiting for Godot
    no hallucination, it has changed. seems like all the hot and cold, snow then warm temps has forced water in to the rock cracks and expanded when it refroze.

its fine though. after three separate rides this year, i have made(cleaned) twice on the left and one failed attempt on the right(highline).
    all three times i aimed for a line, but was thwarted one way or another and wound up on a path i did not choose.

trails change for the good and the bad. ehhh.....maybe next year will be different
    Out riding, leave a message

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    no hallucination, it has changed. seems like all the hot and cold, snow then warm temps has forced water in to the rock cracks and expanded when it refroze.

its fine though. after three separate rides this year, i have made(cleaned) twice on the left and one failed attempt on the right(highline).
    all three times i aimed for a line, but was thwarted one way or another and wound up on a path i did not choose.

trails change for the good and the bad. ehhh.....maybe next year will be different
    Perhaps, but after more than a decade riding the Crest I've never seen that drastic of a change from one year to the next.

I guess one could e-speculate that with it's increased popularity and traffic there have been (I'm sure) more accidents up there. And from a liability point of view that's a big liability as I've heard of more than a couple of stories of people being Life Flighted out of there.

Having dwelt on this for a while I'm actually surprised they just haven't poured concrete over the thing----please no one get any crazy ideas .

Does this actually mean someone's been altering the ridge? Don't know. It's definitely apparent with the line to the left, but the ridge may just go down in the file that contains the 'Who Owns The Bobsled' unless someone, group or JMH fesses up.

Homer's problem child
    I figured I was just a hack and rusty having not ridden the Crest my usual ~30 times by now due to work being a PITA... Which is still all true, but it's nice to hear others think the spine has changed as well.

I personally like the changes. The highline on the spine had kinda become a "gimme" over the years. Now I know I need to pay attention.

Now if someone could just sweep all that pesky dust off the trail and give it a twice-a-day watering to keep it all buff and hero-dirt like....

BY
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I think you guys are smokin something. Was up there on my SS hardtail the other day and the right line across the spine proper felt like a magic carpet ride, butta. Maybe it was those special sport beans I was fueling with.

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    I think you guys are smokin something. Was up there on my SS hardtail the other day and the right line across the spine proper felt like a magic carpet ride, butta. Maybe it was those special sport beans I was fueling with.
    Hmmmmm..... Tell me more about these "beans"...
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Re: Sport Beans (special)

Hit this guy up, he lives over on the west side.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Sweet Spine Poindexter.

For all I know with all the dust and the effect of my progressive blindness (no joke) and contacts/glasses that rival the thickness of an old whaling ship portal, I could have just been riding in the back of a gravel/rock laiden dump truck that dropped it's load off at the entrance to Mill D.

In the Army they used to call these birth control glasses, not to be confused with mr.welcorn's birth control bike:

They are now the thinnest prescription I can wear and not see a landscape covered in snot.

The birth control glasses were to replace the '[email protected]' glasses I showed up with at Ft. Benning, GA. Here a model demonstrates the appropriate placement of '[email protected]' glasses:

Drill Seargant: Here are your new glasses. You can jump on these, throw rocks at them and they WILL NOT BREAK! Now get those [email protected] glasses off your ugly mugs and put these on. Remember to keep your actions clean and I'll see you on the Spine!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I'm not noticing any changes on the high line either. Ridden it 4 times? this summer, pretty much a sidewalk if you stick to the highline and roll off slightly right at the end. Meh. I miss being excited by riding the spine, frankly it's gotten rather boring the last couple of years.

I do however remember when they jackhammered the sh!t out of it oh, 5 years back or so. That sucked. It is a shadow of what it once was. Or else I'm extremely forgetful and spoiled by my 6" trailbike...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    but the ridge may just go down in the file that contains the 'Who Owns The Bobsled' unless someone, group or JMH fesses up.
    I don't know how I have become implicated in this... I presented my plan for the spine to the Forest Service just like everybody else did... I proposed a skinny built to the North Shore Standard Building Procedural 2007 that would begin before and just to the right of the high line and would not exceed a height of 5 meters over the existing trail or 9 meters over non-rock covered terrain.

All the Rebar was installed but the concrete pylons were never poured, my request for a $1.2 million (USD) budget was cut in half last year and everybody knows you can't build jack squat with $600K.

Enjoy my rebar, suckas.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Geeze, you jokers had me all worried about my Mill D ride tonight. Normally I'm high on "Life" but today I asked Ronald for something extra strong. I told him I was headed to an intimidating line, need some courage. He recommend I warm up on a couple of his favorite lines.

Happy to report back no worse for wear, spine is easy as ever. Anyone want to go ride it again with me now? Not really feelin tired tonight.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Got Centrum Silver?

Jeez, I guess Bortis and I will start the Fuzzy P#ssy Trail Bikers Glee Club For The Elderly And Insane and just do laps in my driveway-the cracks along the sidewalk are just a bear right now: weathering, jackhammers, sledgehammers, strollers.

I'll be certain to post up full ride reports on a daily basis OR when my mind remembers what I've done and/or when my mind remembers what I've done and/or when my mind remembers what I've done.

I don't know man, this is the first time I've ridden the Sidewalk this season and it's A Lot worse than last year. Someone must have started doing work on this thing to smooth it out but left it a mess. My old line next to the center crack is completely messed up now. I swear my front tire was right on the edge and my body was just frozen as I thought it was going to slide into it. Bortis said he's not going to ride it anymore until Old Man Roberts gets a hose on this thing and pulls the weeds out of the cracks.
    I gotta go and post this beta up on MTBqueeR right now before I forget.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't know man, this is the first time I've ridden the Sidewalk this season and it's A Lot worse than last year. Someone must have started doing work on this thing to smooth it out but left it a mess. My old line next to the center crack is completely messed up now. I swear my front tire was right on the edge and my body was just frozen as I thought it was going to slide into it. Bortis said he's not going to ride it anymore until Old Man Roberts gets a hose on this thing and pulls the weeds out of the cracks.
    I gotta go and post this beta up on MTBqueeR right now before I forget.
    So...what are the best tires for the sidewalk after a rain?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Nice. I really think that deserves it's own special Thread.

mtbr member

Excellent question. Back in 1993, I remember some of the old-timers, the pioneers of sidewalk riding if you will, were riding a top secret tire forged in mount doom by John Tomac and his mom's boyfriend. It was rumored to be made of rubber harvested from an endangered species of sagebrush found only in a small valley northwest of Ely, Nevada. You see, Johnny-boy's mom's BF (old man withers) was from that area and had heard from the natives about the rubber compound. As with bald eagles and certain fishes, the white man was not allowed to harvest the plant, but natives were free and clear. Well old man withers wanted to harvest the sagebrush and in an attempt to get around the law, he went to live with the natives up in the valley. His plan was working pretty well and he made three or four batches of tires (one of which Gary Fisher stole). They were a pretty sweet tire, and came in two patterns: All Mountain and All Sidewalk.
    All Mountain

All Sidewalk

But that all changed one night when the tribe was sitting around have a couple cold ones. Most everybody was stone drunk and most of all old man withers. He started to feel a pressure in his bladder and relieved himself in the door of the chief's wigwam. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the chief was passed out in the door of his wigwam. Anymore, it's near impossible to get that rubber compound and so now the best "sidewalk after rain" tire looks about like this:

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by neongreen

Excellent question. Back in 1993, I remember some of the old-timers, the pioneers of sidewalk riding if you will, were riding a top secret tire forged in mount doom by John Tomac and his mom's boyfriend. It was rumored to be made of rubber harvested from an endangered species of sagebrush found only in a small valley northwest of Ely, Nevada. You see, Johnny-boy's mom's BF (old man withers) was from that area and had heard from the natives about the rubber compound. As with bald eagles and certain fishes, the white man was not allowed to harvest the plant, but natives were free and clear. Well old man withers wanted to harvest the sagebrush and in an attempt to get around the law, he went to live with the natives up in the valley. His plan was working pretty well and he made three or four batches of tires (one of which Gary Fisher stole). They were a pretty sweet tire, and came in two patterns: All Mountain and All Sidewalk.
    All Mountain

All Sidewalk

But that all changed one night when the tribe was sitting around have a couple cold ones. Most everybody was stone drunk and most of all old man withers. He started to feel a pressure in his bladder and relieved himself in the door of the chief's wigwam. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the chief was passed out in the door of his wigwam. Anymore, it's near impossible to get that rubber compound and so now the best "sidewalk after rain" tire looks about like this:

I don't know why people are so whiney about the Utah forum, I learn something new every time I read these threads.

Best Best Tire Reply EVAR?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I don't know why people are so whiney about the Utah forum, I learn something new every time I read these threads.

Best Best Tire Reply EVAR?
    I'm just sad that he won't be around for the Humdinger. I think he may be the one to 'one-up' everyone in some category.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Did a big junkshow ride down Mill D last night and took a quick survey of the Elders who rode the high line. I got three "something might be different but I couldn't tell what, it seems more 'turny' than before" answers and one "something might be different but I would never admit it" answer. Generally though, it wasn't considered by any of the Elders to be more difficult than usual. I didn't ask my wives because they ride unique lines every time we come down the spine, from their perspective it's ALWAYS different.

Also, we were all riding 48" tall wooden wheels with metal "tires" and I don't know if that made a difference.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

I Shudder To Think

My coffee hasn't quite kicked in yet, but I pray you weren't really a part of the junk show at the bottom of Mill D around 8:45pm last night. Two of those fancy Euro tall vans full of people hovering in the lot. I shuddered at the site.

As soon as I start noticing saddle bags and bar ends I can only envision a long procession of pinched knees high posting and skidding down the dusty switchbacks to Desolation Lake. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Bored Carp
    if we weren't wearing bonnets and black tennis shoes, it wasn't us.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    if we weren't wearing bonnets and black tennis shoes, it wasn't us.
    Thanks. I needed a new visual for lonely man personal time later tonight. That pretty much fills a fantasy I have yet to visit.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Good job! Post Ride Pics [o]

1) Loading up the shuttles

2) Negotiating the Spine

3) Picture Break!

4) Post Ride BBQ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Spine v. 2.0?-flds_members.jpg  

The Spine v. 2.0?-august-flds8.210833.jpg  

The Spine v. 2.0?-4172008-2148.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

1/4 semi-pro
    1) Loading up the shuttles

2) Negotiating the Spine

3) Picture Break!

4) Post Ride BBQ
    i get it.
    not anti-bobsled

Members who have read this thread: 0