Speaking of Burro Pass.......- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Speaking of Burro Pass.......

Or more accurately... Geyser Pass......hfly told me that the FS is working on a new trail up off Moonlight Meadows to Hell's Canyon (I think?) that is supposed to blow The Whole Enchilada out of the water.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it complete yet? Is it worthy? Am I just stupid? (Wait, don't answer that last question).
    Last edited by KRob; 06-15-2009 at 05:47 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Or more accurately... Geyser Pass......hfly told me that the FS is working on a new trail up off Moonlight Meadows to Hell's Canyon (I think?) that is supposed to blow The Whole Enchilada out of the water.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it complete yet? Is it worthy? Am I just stupid? (Wait, don't answer that last question).
    If there was some other "epic" in that area that didn't include the descent off of Burro that would suit me just fine. I'd love to have a 15 or so miler up there that didn't entail my walking 12 miles of it. Kent knows what I'm talking about.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Yeah, it avoids that 1500' climb up to Burro Pass too. I think it's supposed to be a more windy through the aspens option but all I've heard is silence about this trail since Tim told me about it.

Anyone know anything?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned

KR:

Can you get hfly to share the proposed route with us.

TD
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hell's Canyon is no where near Geyser Pass. It's trail that has been in exsistance for 30+ years but was just recently discovered by mountain bikers. Bonus -it totally legal. It starts off of La Sal Pass. However, the access is obscure until you are right on top of it. Once we define the route a little better it will be a true ripper. The Hell's Canyon Trail itself is very, very steep, tech and sustained. Advanced riders only. Also, keep an eye out for bears...one almost ran me down on Sunday! Just remember, to get to heaven you must go through hell!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainrider84532
    Hell's Canyon is no where near Geyser Pass. It's trail that has been in exsistance for 30+ years but was just recently discovered by mountain bikers. Bonus -it totally legal. It starts off of La Sal Pass. However, the access is obscure until you are right on top of it. Once we define the route a little better it will be a true ripper. The Hell's Canyon Trail itself is very, very steep, tech and sustained. Advanced riders only. Also, keep an eye out for bears...one almost ran me down on Sunday! Just remember, to get to heaven you must go through hell!
    Big:

Do you ride it with Loaner? I didn't think there was any practical way of getting from Geyser to HC.

TD

mtbr member
    That sounds like a fun ride. I wasn't exactly sure where it was except that it started up in the La Sals and went through Hell's Canyon. What's the "Heaven" part? Seems like I heard something about that too but I couldn't remember. Heaven's Meadow?

Where does it end up?

Who wants to take me?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

banned
    That sounds like a fun ride. I wasn't exactly sure where it was except that it started up in the La Sals and went through Hell's Canyon. What's the "Heaven" part? Seems like I heard something about that too but I couldn't remember. Heaven's Meadow?

Where does it end up?

Who wants to take me?

KR:

I think the exit is at Pack Creek and the LaSal Moutain Loop Road south of Ken's Lake. I believe the shuttle is about 1hr. and 15min. from Moab.

TD
    Last edited by traildoc; 06-18-2009 at 08:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    La Sal Pass is accessable through La Sal. Go about 16 miles south of Moab on 191 and head east on 46. Just before you get to Old La Sal take the Forest Service access road on the left (sorry, don't have the route numbers...but its obvious). Then follow the signs to La Sal Pass. It's a long shuttle from town. We are working on other routes on the back side to help ease the pain of the shuttle, but nothing conclusive as of yet. The riding access to Hell's Canyon right now is very vague. You do need to be riding with someone familiar with it...Lohner would be good, just bring beer and whiskey! Just don't tell him I sent you. I'm sure as the trail gets riden in more it will be less vague. I just don't want to be responsible for anyone epic-ing in in the bear infested mountains.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    For those interested in access the La Sal Pass (PBR loop, Sheepherders, South Mountain Portal, Hell's Canyon) side of the mountain from Geyser Pass - ride the Trans La Sal. I have riden from Geyser on Moonlight, Jedi, Boren Mesa, Tran La Sal to the Squaw Springs Trailhead on Geyser Pass Road. Ride Squaw Springs (the Trans La Sal trail) to La Sal Pass Road. Then be prepared for a tractor, ***** of a climb. Don't say I didn't warn you. Once you are at the top you can hit either South Montain Portal or Hell's Canyon to get you to Pack Creek. Make sure you have a car dropped at Pack Creek with fluids! You will be cooked...

banned
    For those interested in access the La Sal Pass (PBR loop, Sheepherders, South Mountain Portal, Hell's Canyon) side of the mountain from Geyser Pass - ride the Trans La Sal. I have riden from Geyser on Moonlight, Jedi, Boren Mesa, Tran La Sal to the Squaw Springs Trailhead on Geyser Pass Road. Ride Squaw Springs (the Trans La Sal trail) to La Sal Pass Road. Then be prepared for a tractor, ***** of a climb. Don't say I didn't warn you. Once you are at the top you can hit either South Montain Portal or Hell's Canyon to get you to Pack Creek. Make sure you have a car dropped at Pack Creek with fluids! You will be cooked...
    32:

Thanks for that route update. Does Chaco know the way if Lohner isn't up for the ride?

TD

Members who have read this thread: 0