Sovereign Trail question- Mtbr.com
    Whatever

Sovereign Trail question

Has anyone ridden Sovereign Trail in Moab north of Dalton Well road? The review here on MTBR says to stop and turn around at Dalton Well, when starting at Willow Springs Rd. This past weekend, we rode from Willow Springs north for 6 miles, then past Dalton Well Rd., and another 2 miles or so past the huge slickrock area...and it kept going as great singletrack, with lots of climbing. We ran out of time, otherwise would've went further.

The 2005 Latitude 40 map shows it going quite a bit farther as singletrack for motos (green on the map). How much farther does it go, and is it worthwhile? The 2 miles we did were really great -- very steep climbs, barely rideable, but challenging. We stopped just below a ridge after a long barely rideable loose granny gear climb. From the map it looks like it continues for at least 4 more miles. On the map the singletrack just ends at a jeep road.

Has anyone done this? What's the report?

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    Has anyone ridden Sovereign Trail in Moab north of Dalton Well road? The review here on MTBR says to stop and turn around at Dalton Well, when starting at Willow Springs Rd. This past weekend, we rode from Willow Springs north for 6 miles, then past Dalton Well Rd., and another 2 miles or so past the huge slickrock area...and it kept going as great singletrack, with lots of climbing. We ran out of time, otherwise would've went further.

The 2005 Latitude 40 map shows it going quite a bit farther as singletrack for motos (green on the map). How much farther does it go, and is it worthwhile? The 2 miles we did were really great -- very steep climbs, barely rideable, but challenging. We stopped just below a ridge after a long barely rideable loose granny gear climb. From the map it looks like it continues for at least 4 more miles. On the map the singletrack just ends at a jeep road.

Has anyone done this? What's the report?
    I've taken a left at Dalton Well Rd, pedaled a few minutes down the road, and then took a right and shortly caught some more singletrack. This took us through some really cool stuff, but definitely a different type of riding than the better-traveled sections of Sovereign. Think looser, steeper, and more technical.

We came out on top of the mesa and rode ATV track a couple miles until we hit the singletrack where you turned around. I'd say that last part that you rode was the best trail of all the 'bonus' bits that we did. There is more singletrack north of there, but I've heard it gets real sandy. I think the 6-mile section we all know and love is popular for a reason. But the extra loop we did is worthwhile if you like a little adventure riding.

bock

Whatever

Thanks...will try in February

Quote Originally Posted by bock
    I've taken a left at Dalton Well Rd, pedaled a few minutes down the road, and then took a right and shortly caught some more singletrack. This took us through some really cool stuff, but definitely a different type of riding than the better-traveled sections of Sovereign. Think looser, steeper, and more technical.

We came out on top of the mesa and rode ATV track a couple miles until we hit the singletrack where you turned around. I'd say that last part that you rode was the best trail of all the 'bonus' bits that we did. There is more singletrack north of there, but I've heard it gets real sandy. I think the 6-mile section we all know and love is popular for a reason. But the extra loop we did is worthwhile if you like a little adventure riding.

bock
    Excellent, thanks. I will do this when we're back in February. I'll dig this thread up and report back as to how it was, along with photos.

Jun 2005
    Check out utahmountainbiking.com they have some good trail descriptions. I did the the trail last spring and it was a time trial as part of the mountain states cup series. It's a fun trail. I recommend doing the loop instead of the out and back.

mtbr member

More ??

How is the slickrock on the North side of Soverigne? We rode the trail for the first time in Oct. but we were short on time and couldn't explore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

that huge slickrock area

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    How is the slickrock on the North side of Soverigne? We rode the trail for the first time in Oct. but we were short on time and couldn't explore.
    is pretty neat. Nothing technical, at least what I've ridden, just a lot of fun cruising around. Just pick a spot at the top to head to and start exploring. Haven't gone all the way to the right but it's a pretty big patch of rock. Next time. Most Sov. trail riders don't hit this area or don't even notice it but I try to ride around on it everytime I do that trail.

mtbr member

Thanks

I'll check it out next year.

mtbr member

Soveriegn

Map from Utah Mountin Biking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

HHL
    Que je suis bete!
    Nov 2004

sovereign loop and parking

I did that loop last summer. I don't remember it seeming like the landowner really wanted people driving as far in as the map shows on Willowcreek road. There is a big tree just a few hundred yards off the highway that seemed to be the parking spot. You then open a gate and go through with the bikes. I did the whole loop over the slickrock and returned to my car via about 1mile on the highway shoulder. I think it was about 10-12 miles or so total. I had a good time, although I couldn't clear some of the ups and did 2 endos going down over some chunky rocks!

locked - time out
    Was just out there last weekend and enjoyed the trail. 2nd time I ran it.

Hate to sound like a Eco-hippy but noticed a lot of tracks which were bustin the crust.
    Forget the technical name. ( cryptonic soil???) In any case it bothered me that people were going off the trail and destroying these old soils.

If this continues we WILL lose another trail.

STAY ON THE TRAIL PEOPLE.

Members who have read this thread: 0