Sovereign (sp?) as a quickie?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Sovereign (sp?) as a quickie?

Not sure how to spell it, but I will be in Moab with a group of riders in Sept. We have one half day (approx) in Moab and one whole day. The whole day we are set to do Hazard on down Porc into town.

But if we roll into town in the afternoon and can get to the south end of Sovereign, does it make sense from a fun standpoint to ride north up the singletrack until we are sick of it/out of time/etc and then ride back the same way? I don't want to do a big loop or burn out for the next day, but what kind of ride would that be?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    That's what we typically do on the way in or out of Moab.... Alternatively, we also do Amasa Back as it can also be a quick out and back...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Cool. Thanks.
    Blog Ramblings

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    The trail is only worthwhile done on your way in or out of town or in combination with Bartlett Wash or another trail nearby. Sounds like you are planning to ride out to Sovereign. If so, there are better and more interesting rides to be done. I would consider doing Slickrouck as it is so vastly different from Hazard and Porc and it will give you a truer sense of Moab riding. Sovereign riding is vaguely similar to upper porc but without the dramatic scenery and the downhill flow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah, we often hit sovereign on the way out of town as well. seems like a good one at the end of a long couple days cause you can go as hard or as easy as you want with the out and back.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    The trail is only worthwhile done on your way in or out of town or in combination with Bartlett Wash or another trail nearby. Sounds like you are planning to ride out to Sovereign. If so, there are better and more interesting rides to be done. I would consider doing Slickrouck as it is so vastly different from Hazard and Porc and it will give you a truer sense of Moab riding. Sovereign riding is vaguely similar to upper porc but without the dramatic scenery and the downhill flow.
    I did the Slickrock Trail once the first time I was in Moab in the late 80s. Once was enough.

But if the other newbies with me want to do petrified sand dunes as a primer, then maybe the practice loop.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Sovereign trail and Saltwash trail (?)

I rode Sovereign trail last May and we came across a trail (Saltwash trail)...any rode that trail. Unfurtonately i rode with a friend that was very tired and doesn't want to explore anymore. How's Saltwash trail, same as Sovereigh trail, flowy, lots of steps, is it a loop, lots of climbs and descends? Saltwash criss crossed Sovereign trail, how about the trail on the right side (forgot the name if it).

How about going the trail at the bottom of Sovereign trail that extends to Dalton trail? Where is the start of the that trail?

Thanks for any info?

Members who have read this thread: 0