Southern Utah Ride Ideas.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Southern Utah Ride Ideas.

First off, I apologize for starting another thread about his but I'm still confused on the best trail to ride. I'll be close to the Kanab/St George for a few hours next weekend and am looking for trail ideas.

I'll be on a 4-5 inch full suspension bike and can be dropped off and picked up anywhere between Kanab and St George. I'll have around four hours to kill and I'm not familiar with the area so think of a trail that is fairly easy to follow. What shuttle trails or loop trails and what routes would you recommend?

I've looked on utahmountainbiking.com but have found that most trails have multiple ride options. So I thought this would be the best way to get recommendations. Some trails that have caught my attention are:

Barrel Trail
    Broken Mesa Rim Trail
    Bearclaw Poppy Trail

Thanks in advance for your help.

I'd rather be biking...
    Barrel trail is a great trail if your into some light freeriding with stunts.

Broken mesa i would avoid, there are a lot better trails around here IMO. Plus that trail doesnt see much traffic if your riding alone and something happens.

Bearclaw poppy is fun but pretty chewed up this year from irresponsible people, so maybe hold off on that. you could add stucki springs to it, but if i had one trail to pick it wouldn't be those.

My suggestion are,
    Gooeberry Mesa, well marked and is some of the best tech riding, I ride there monthly.
    3-5 hours for a great ride

Zen trail, right in st. george near bearclaw poppy so if you wanted to add bearclaw for some more riding. UMB sums up the trail pretty good on how to get around, pretty easy to follow. Awesome trail! 1.5-2 hours for zen Adding bearclaw would be another hour or so.

Barrel roll is right in santa clara. Notice, Barrel trail and Barrel roll are two different trails! and is a great loop option too, very easy to follow and nothing to technical. Good views of Ivins and snow canyon. Only about an hour ride though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'll second what shelbster said, that's a no-brainer. 4 hours in the St. George area - it's gotta be Gooseberry. Not sure why it didn't catch your attention the 1st time.

mtbr member
    Yep, I agree on Gooseberry Mesa. Sooooo fun and probably quite a bit different than anything you've ridden before.

Gould's Rim/JEM/Hurricane Rim would be another great option and easier for the wife in a sedan or minivan to drop and pick you up. More traditional flowy desert singletrack but still one fun ride.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

At one point

I though Broken mesa was the best ride in st george. Unfortunatly since then it has been flooded, on fire, and ridden little. I would really like to see it return to its former glory.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the ideas, sounds like Gooseberry is the trail for me. Just to get an idea for time. How long does it take on the South Rim trail to get to The point? On UMB it says around 3 hours, is this right? From The Point how long does it take to get back to the parking lot if I were to take That Damn trail to the Practice Loop? Thanks again for your help and recommendations.

I'd rather be biking...
    To get to the point via the south rim is like 2 hours I think. Its hit and miss and depends on how much you play around. That sounds about right 3-4 hours for the south rim to point and back on yellow, north and bowls. maybe faster if your right to it, but we stop A LOT and mess around. Why not your at a giant playground.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsoul
    Thanks for the ideas, sounds like Gooseberry is the trail for me. Just to get an idea for time. How long does it take on the South Rim trail to get to The point? On UMB it says around 3 hours, is this right? From The Point how long does it take to get back to the parking lot if I were to take That Damn trail to the Practice Loop? Thanks again for your help and recommendations.
    I can regularly do the whole route that you describe in 2 hrs with a couple of short 5 min stops. For every person you bring with you add 15 min. If it is your first time add another hour.

mtbr member
    Broken is a super fun right if....you know where you are going....dont mind techy, exposed rides. The bottom section is particularly gnarly. I love it but it definitely doesnt get ridden a ton. Most people prefer to shuttle to the top and ride down since it is a still a good ride and the top climbing section is not easy as it is very loose softball size rock and pumice. Make sure you bring a flat kit and a first aid kid ----lots of sharp rock on this one.

Members who have read this thread: 0