Sorta biking related!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Sorta biking related!

So I have always told myself I'm moving to utah when I graduate... Well.... I graduate in 2 semesters and a summer, so I'm looking at places to reloacte. Odds are the decision will be made by my future employer, but I'm wanting some input since biking is my major motivation to move. Where are the best spots? I'm in Kentucky right now and regularly visit brown county in indiana and the local trails for XC, and down to Windrock in TN for some downhill.

with this in mind, where are the best trails to hit up? I will be heading out to visit for a week or two this summer or the break before my final semester to check things out / interview. While I'm there I would like to ride some things and see how it goes. So any info is appreciated Thanks!

Some things to consider:
    Trails (types, distance)
    Lifestyle (nightlife, etc)

I'd rather be biking...
    Salt lake/Provo area, Moab and St. George would be the areas too look at for lots of mountain biking trails in and near town. Moab and St. George are southern towns with low alititude which allows almost year round riding.

Salt Lake area has lots of xc trails and Lift access DH trails to choose from near town and more just over the hill. Its a much larger community then moab or St. George. In the northen part of the state and higher altitude which will cover with snow in the winter months. Mountains take up much of the area so awesome skiing just minutes from town during the winter months is a bonus. Lots of ski resorts near town. This would be the town that would have any kind of night life and lots more jobs and diversity then down south. Someone else can shine in with more info for you.

Moab has a lot of slickrock desert riding trails with some alpine riding just outside of town. Small town community but great for outdoors. Biking, jeeping, hiking, etc. Arches National Park is just outside of town. Not a Guru on Moab either so I can leave most of the other stuff for someone else.

St. George Has Lots of desert riding too. Mid sized community and is larger then Moab with more job options. Trails from easy flowing singletrack to technical singletrack and freeriding trails just right in town. Just over an hour drive can get you some lift access DH trails and flowing singletrack high in the mountains or go skiing during the winter months(Brian Head). You can ski all day and come home to St. George and ride your bike in the winter. Snow free 364 days out of the year. Next to Zion National Park which is just amazing for hiking.

Utahmountainbiking.com has lots of info on trails and pics to show you the different styles of riding each town has to offer.

Utah is an awesome place to live I can't imagine living anywhere else.....

Members who have read this thread: 0