Solitude trails - ridin' alone- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Solitude trails - ridin' alone

I was suposed to ride Crest - Mill D but my riding companions fell through last minute. Went someting like this: Me from Brighton Store: "I'm here, where are you?" "Uh...sorry dude..." "That's what I thought."

Anyway decided to salvage the afternoon and do the lift thing at Solitude. Anybody else ride here? Nice suprise. Super slow lift but cheap and short but way fun all Mtn/ xc trails. Good single track, Kruzr and a new one called Queen Bess. Good fall lines Bess was bermy. Still has that new cut trail semi-soft, a bit rocky but will be real fun when it packs in. Best of all I rode with every trail to myself all afternoon, literally no one else on the trails. A few hikers on the connections and Kruzr you criss-cross the frizbee golf course a couple of times (a few drunk guys and some girls in bikini tops chearing me on).

Also, if your in for an easy pedal you don't even have to take the lift. Theres a steep but paved summer road all the way to mid-mtn where the dh section of Bess takes off. Dark dirt in the pines all the way down. Not exactly epic rides but a nice backup plan.

mtbr member
    which is the best direction to ride queen bess for optimal downhill..climb serenity and drop in before roundhouse or ride silverfork to the top and drop left?

mtbr member

Clockwise

From the Roundhouse (either ride over from the lift or up the service road) there is a sort, moderately steep climb to the ride above the Challenger run then all downhill in to Honeycomb / Silverfork Cnyn. then burn out the return trail to the base of the quad. Fun right now but could use some riders to pack it in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think for you best bang for your buck (or uphill energy)...

At the bottom of queen bess where it meets the honeycomb return, turn around and go back up. It is only 3 switchbacks (not the easiest climb but well worth it in my opinion) to the serenity intersect. Then go down serenity (much better than the honeycomb road - loose rock fireroad). Look for a hard (almost impossible) left near the bottom of serenity. It is labeled queen bess, nice berms and a rock feature to the western end of the lower lot.

It seems that the plan was to have the route go up serenity, off early on queen bess, back to the end of the parking lot, up the honeycomb road, up the rest of queen bess, and then down wherever you would like or up to kruzr - i guess I just don't get that - is it all about the up?

They have recently (7.5.09) widened some of serenity. Nice swoopy singletrack is now dusty soft wide singletrack in sections... Not sure why. Maybe for better passing during races? Don't know, don't race. Ruined the track for now. Wednesdays race times will be slower for sure, climbing in the dust/sand...

Fartographer
    I love riding Solitude. If you really want the goods, ride (and/or push) all the way to the top and then ride Sol Bright to Kruzr. The top part of Sol Bright is all rocks. I loves it.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I love riding Solitude. If you really want the goods, ride (and/or push) all the way to the top and then ride Sol Bright to Kruzr. The top part of Sol Bright is all rocks. I loves it.
    Ooohh. So noted. I've always wondered. . .

Starting to appreciated jumbled rocks more than I used to. Keeps your attention.

mtbr member

Agree with all..

So much for having the trail to myself...Kruzr is a riot and pretty easy to memorize and bomb. I'll try the reverse Bess next time for sure.

If you see a white Tacoma in the upper lot, post-ride Sierra Nevada's are on me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Rode up Queen Bess today. Was pretty nice as an uphill, seems like it would probably be fun going down.
    Was not fun going to the summit and then down SolBright. I'm a fairly strong climber and still had to walk a good chunk of the Summit double track up. And SolBright down has lots of big rocks. Think more difficult than the Spine on the Crest and about 4 times as long. Wouldn't want to do it solo without armor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by steveinslc
    Think more difficult than the Spine on the Crest and about 4 times as long. Wouldn't want to do it solo without armor.
    Excellent. . .

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Rode up Queen Bess today. Was pretty nice as an uphill, seems like it would probably be fun going down.
    Was not fun going to the summit and then down SolBright. I'm a fairly strong climber and still had to walk a good chunk of the Summit double track up. And SolBright down has lots of big rocks. Think more difficult than the Spine on the Crest and about 4 times as long. Wouldn't want to do it solo without armor.
    That rock garden is one of the best in Utah, there is a line in there that you don't need a DH bike, but it takes a few times to find it and your flow. The trail is even better if you start at Brighton and ride up to Lake Mary then over to Twin Lakes then down the trail to Silver lake! Just turn towards Solitude instead of Silver at the bottom as the trails around Silver Lake don't allow for bikes. These trails almost see no bike traffic on them and are 100% legal to ride. I just don't recommend riding them on the weekend as the hiking traffic is so high.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    ...And SolBright down has lots of big rocks. Think more difficult than the Spine on the Crest and about 4 times as long...
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Excellent. . .
    Some of your guys definition of fun is different than mine.

I hiked Sol Bright on the 4th went through that boulder field. No thank you.

I have seen guys go up and over the twin lakes pass and down into silver fork...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Rode Serenity last night.

If you get off the middle line (which is hard to spot) it gets sketchy. Super soft and dusty sucks your tire down and out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

What were they thinking with serenity?

I rode down serenity a day ago and a little disappointed with what they have done with it. Not nearly as fun as before. Hopefully the racers will have it packed down a little in a few weeks. This WAS my favorite trail at solitude. The first few races should be interesting, light riders/bikes with skinny tires on dust/sand=lots of crash potential. It would be similar to riding up a sand dune. Queen Bess off lower serenity saved it for me. So much fun I did it twice. Big soft berms with corners that can be ridden with a little speed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    They ran the race - up serenity, off early on queen bess, down above the eagle express lift, up the honeycomb road, up the rest of queen bess...

Since this is one of Solitude's more public events in the summer they should have been much more careful before wrecking serenity.

Get the snow sprayers out and spend some of Solitude Water Company's water packing that trail down...

Not the smartest thing they have done, but probably par for the course...

For those that ski, Powderhorn lift is out. Replaced by a lift from the top of Moonbeam to the patrol hut...

I have to say that queen bess is really nice on the down...

*Edit - since serenity is a sand box I went down queen bess and the honey comb return road, and I have to say that if you have a bike that likes speed (mine does not) you can really haul az down that sucker. There are some gentle roll overs and such that could become mild jumps with more traffic...

7.11.09 serenity is making a slow comeback. It is packed better, but not bowl shaped yet...
    Last edited by ritninja; 07-11-2009 at 11:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Glad to find this thread. I rode Solitude on the 7th, taking my route up serenity and ran into (not literally) the trail builder on his track-hoe. After a short conversation he states "Have you ridden Queen Bess? You've got to go ride it, it's so much better than this trail." So I did. I rode the loop and went back up serenity to the round house and rode the Queen. Fun trail? you bet! But "better"? Apples? or Oranges? It's a nice wide trail with burmed corners and many opportunities for riders to get some airtime. This trail begs to ridden fast! BUT... It's short! About the time you start to really hit your stride, it's over, and your dumped out on to the Honeycomb cat road. Here's my only beech about this trail: Why couldn't they continue the trail on the hillside? Once you hit the cat road you ride it for what seems to be another quarter mile or so,(hard to tell since you're going 40mph) straight to the west end of the lower parking lot. Can't see why they couldn't have milked a few more turns out of that hillside. Oh well, go figure.
    Meanwhile, back at the rant. Better? this scares me when the builder says this. I really enjoy Serenity,(up and down) because it doesn't have that "choreographed" feel to it. It's undulating, rocky, narrow, twitchy nature demands and builds the stamina, focus and skills any journeyman mountain biker should possess. And to think this builder may make this trail "better" by turning it into another 5ft wide yawner worrys me.

See you on the trails

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Spot on, as usual.

Took it all the way to the Twin Lakes pass and then back down to Kruzr (or whatever it is). Besides some hikers (like a guided, AARP convention, actually) who advised me against riding down "that crazy stuff", it was an awesome experience. . . That is until I hooked up with Kruzr. (begin rant) I'm guessing there's an XC race this weekend and I ended up behind two guys whose kits and bikes would suggest they were Cat 1 riders or Cat 2 riders with money to burn and Friday's to practice. Anyhow, they "showed" me the way down and showed me why American riders can't seem to get it together in racing. I guess my ridiculously loud brakes, loud hub, etc. were not enough to get their attention that letting me by would be best. Maybe he was focused so hard on not crashing, negotiating corners without leaning his bike, or dreaming of the next buffed, steep fireroad climb that he couldn't hear me. Whatever. The trail itself has been nuked and, I think, dumbed down a bit. I agree with Shelback for the most part. Trails can be wide, choreographed and flowy or narrow and gnarly, but people should know how to deal with them, or, at least, aspire to. Mowing down rock gardens and "riskier" sections of trail doesn't help. (end rant)

Again, cool ride! Wildflowers are going off!

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Definitely is worth the brutal trip to the top, good views and damn that rock section is fun(just wish it was much longer). It's really unfortunate that rocks in trails are so frowned upon around here since they, take your pick: cause trail conflict, cause erosion, aren't hiker friendly, ruin the flow, harsh my mallow, or whatever they are being blamed for these days. Fortunately the Uintas aren't too far away.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Spot on, as usual.

Took it all the way to the Twin Lakes pass and then back down to Kruzr (or whatever it is). Besides some hikers (like a guided, AARP convention, actually) who advised me against riding down "that crazy stuff", it was an awesome experience. . . That is until I hooked up with Kruzr. (begin rant) I'm guessing there's an XC race this weekend and I ended up behind two guys whose kits and bikes would suggest they were Cat 1 riders or Cat 2 riders with money to burn and Friday's to practice. Anyhow, they "showed" me the way down and showed me why American riders can't seem to get it together in racing. I guess my ridiculously loud brakes, loud hub, etc. were not enough to get their attention that letting me by would be best. Maybe he was focused so hard on not crashing, negotiating corners without leaning his bike, or dreaming of the next buffed, steep fireroad climb that he couldn't hear me. Whatever. The trail itself has been nuked and, I think, dumbed down a bit. I agree with Shelback for the most part. Trails can be wide, choreographed and flowy or narrow and gnarly, but people should know how to deal with them, or, at least, aspire to. Mowing down rock gardens and "riskier" sections of trail doesn't help. (end rant)

Again, cool ride! Wildflowers are going off!
    It's because most riders around here are too stubborn to lower their saddles on technical descents. They would rather be richard smokers and keep others who've huffed up to the top from having a good time and yielding the trail. Maybe I'm wrong, but I always take the approach to yield going up or down if someone is coming up fast on my backside.

Given how steep and technical some of the terrain is we have around here, the benefits far outweigh the half pound weight penalty a Gravity Dropper adds to the overall ride experience. Add to that rent a biggie bike, full face, some knee/elbow pads and hit a resort for a day. You'd be so surprised at how much better and confident you'll be afterwards. Took the GF for her first lift served day at DV a few weeks back. She was gripped most of the day, crashed more than her fair share but the armor took it all in stride. Next weekend she commented on how she wasn't as scared on the downhill parts of the trail any longer and I noticed she was moving a lot faster.

But that takes some effort so P-Town and the rest of us lugging those 'heavy' Gravity Droppers around will continue to skid down behind all the Larry's with their butts sticking way up in the air bouncing off rocks, 180psi in their 80mm forks and 65psi in their tires, seconds from going down. Cracks me up to watch it all from behind, especially when they race off when they reach the flat fire road section.

Talentless Hack

Your...

Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Given how steep and technical some of the terrain is we have around here, the benefits far outweigh the half pound weight penalty a Gravity Dropper adds to the overall ride experience.
    right about the Gravity Dropper, best thing invented for mountain bikes other than 20 mm through axle forks and disc brakes. Now if we can come up with some kind of early warning system for people who won't yield to up hill riders. A sensor of sorts that would warn of on coming riders sporting Specialized rigs.
    Last edited by Idiot Boy 1; 07-19-2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Sierra Club Sucks

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    can you post pictures of the all mountain trail?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Get your rocks off...

June 2008.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Love Solitude

I've been riding Solitude almost every weekend this summer and much prefer it to the crowds in Millcreek. Usually I'd ride up Queen Bess, Serenity, or Raptor Road, then down Kruzr. Today took the steep climb up to the summit then down SolBright hoping to hook up with Kruzr. An intense rock-garden for sure, as Photo-John and others said. Lots of hikers to dodge too.

I must've taken a wrong turn on the descent (right vs left?) because I ended up at Silver Lake, instead of on Kruzr as I'd intended. There was a spur off the left on the SolBright trail that was posted as "Lake Solitude" so I avoided it thinking foot traffic only.

Great views of Twin Lakes and Lake Solitude. I have a lot of photos if anyone's interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The take off to get back to Kruzer is subtle for sure. If you ski/ride there in the winter, it takes off about the point where you are having to skate uphill a bit to stay on the Solbright. It's a sudden change to WAY narrow singletrack instead of the wider rocky stuff.

And we're always interested in photos. . . despite the fact that I never bring a camera. . .

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The take off to get back to Kruzer is subtle for sure. If you ski/ride there in the winter, it takes off about the point where you are having to skate uphill a bit to stay on the Solbright. It's a sudden change to WAY narrow singletrack instead of the wider rocky stuff.

And we're always interested in photos. . . despite the fact that I never bring a camera. . .

Thanks, I think I started on the right route but second-guessed it due to the faintness of the trail. But, at least got to experience the rock garden. Here are a few shots of Kruzr and Summit; I'll see if I can post more in the photo gallery.

Photos are, in order:
    1. old miner's cabin just below the Summit lift base
    2. Lake Solitude just as you begin going up the Summit trail
    3. Twin Lakes, just shy of the top of Summit
    4. The Solbright trail (I think) descending into Brighton.
    5. Going up the Summit double-track

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Summit --> Honeycomb Canyon

Rode/pushed up Summit again today from the Village, thinking I'd descend Honeycomb Canyon, where there is no posted trail, at least for awhile. A Solitude employee told me he'd done it, but I didn't see an easy way down - steep drop off into an untracked meadow, with no sign of a trail (see photo). Wondering if anyone's done it?

Ended up going down SolBright again, this time taking the correct turn back onto Kruzr and down into Solitude. (thanks P-townDave) If anyone finds a cellphone up there it's probably mine.

Here are a few shots of Honeycomb canyon (1,2) and the the rock garden on SolBright (3,4).

mtbr member
    Lived up there for a while about 6 years ago, but there is a trail that drops down through Black Forest all the way down the canyon....good stuff. Not sure what it is like now, but used to ride it a bunch.

Also fun trail down Days via West Bowl.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    Lived up there for a while about 6 years ago, but there is a trail that drops down through Black Forest all the way down the canyon....good stuff. Not sure what it is like now, but used to ride it a bunch.

Also fun trail down Days via West Bowl.....
    Crap, I did see what looked like a faint game trail down Black Forest, circumventing the drop off where the road ends. Didn't have the nerve to take it, as it was late in the day and I had no idea where I'd end up. Thanks so much for the info, I'll take it next time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril
    Crap, I did see what looked like a faint game trail down Black Forest, circumventing the drop off where the road ends. Didn't have the nerve to take it, as it was late in the day and I had no idea where I'd end up. Thanks so much for the info, I'll take it next time.
    No problem...enjoy, not used often. Would also recommend the Days Fork downhill, it is good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    *deleted my double-post*
    Last edited by Anduril; 09-15-2009 at 12:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    To whomever found my cellphone at the Summit, you have my eternal gratitude!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Serenity

SoliTUBE

Last edited by ritninja; 10-08-2009 at 09:39 PM.

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by ritninja
    For those that snowboard, Powderhorn lift is out. Replaced by a lift from the top of Moonbeam to the patrol hut...
    Interesting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow
    No problem...enjoy, not used often. Would also recommend the Days Fork downhill, it is good.
    Is there actually some sort of downhill....or whats the deal up there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    http://www.skisolitude.com/summer/mountain_biking.php

Is it the Wasatch's best kept secret or is it empty for a reason...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

If you're talking about Solitude in general, definitely the Wasatch's best kept secret. I just rode the loop today (a Saturday) and saw nobody, once I got on the trail (up Raptor road and down Kruzr). I sort of think of it as my personal mountain biking paradise . . . but you're invited!

gunslinger

Everyone local knows it's there, but they don't stop - fine w/ me. I ride (snowboard) there 98+% of the winter and it's so empty (in comparison) to other resorts, it's a no-brainer.

It's non stop top to bottom running the HS quads. I'm always first chair and rarely make it past 1:00 pm cuz I'm so thrashed.

From a snow perspective, look @ all the other "big name" resorts... right here... people come from across the planet to hit the bird, PC, DV & Brighton... who want's to waste their time w/ on an unknown!

Getting ready to pick up season passes real soon - oh yeah.

http://www.skisolitude.com/mountain/...ft_tickets.php

Members who have read this thread: 0