Solitude area accomodations?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    969

    New question here. Solitude area accomodations?

    Howdy all!

    My wife and I will be stopping over in the SLC area on Sunday July 29th. We'll be our way to Idaho for 2 weeks of biking. We'd like to spend that night, and maybe a second one, up in the Wasatch.

    I've always wanted to ride / explore the Solitude area. We will be driving 9-10 hours that day, so we'd prefer not to set up camp. But we do not want to spend $200+ for a nights lodging either. I've searched online,and all I've found is in the $200 range.

    Dose anyone know of accomodations in or near solitude that are less? We definitly want to be in the mountains, but do not have to be right in Solitude.

    Your help is GREATLY appreciated!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    344
    Not really anything except Solitude or Brighton (I highly doubt their lodge is open right now, anyway, they don't do any summer stuff). Reason being? Solitude is 15 minutes from the Salt Lake Valley. You might be able to find lodging one canyon over at the 'Bird or Alta, but it won't be cheap either (see above reason). No need for little ski towns when there is a large metropolis nearby...

    You might want to consider Park City. Why do you want to stay near Solitude? The trails AT Solitude aren't that great, but there's lots of great stuff in the canyon it's situated in.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: SingleWhiteCaveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    152
    Silverfork lodge is right there. It's off-season but probably still not too cheap. If that doesn;t work but you want a short short to the canyons, I'd try one of the motels in Midvale.Finally, if you don't mind camping, try the Spruces campground up big cottowood. They have some amenities, you can loop mill-D and the Crest, and you can even ride (mostly) singletrack from there to the base of solitude if you look hard enough for it.

    Have fun in Idaho!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    Not really anything except Solitude or Brighton (I highly doubt their lodge is open right now, anyway, they don't do any summer stuff). Reason being? Solitude is 15 minutes from the Salt Lake Valley. You might be able to find lodging one canyon over at the 'Bird or Alta, but it won't be cheap either (see above reason). No need for little ski towns when there is a large metropolis nearby...

    You might want to consider Park City. Why do you want to stay near Solitude? The trails AT Solitude aren't that great, but there's lots of great stuff in the canyon it's situated in.
    Thanks Bleu. We're hitting Park City on the way back, but not on the way up because this just a "stop over" on our way to Idaho.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rollin'in'Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    969
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    Silverfork lodge is right there. It's off-season but probably still not too cheap. If that doesn;t work but you want a short short to the canyons, I'd try one of the motels in Midvale.Finally, if you don't mind camping, try the Spruces campground up big cottowood. They have some amenities, you can loop mill-D and the Crest, and you can even ride (mostly) singletrack from there to the base of solitude if you look hard enough for it.

    Have fun in Idaho!
    Thanks SWC! Sounds like a great plan!

  6. #6
    Fartographer
    Reputation: Photo-John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    1,846

    Not?

    Quote Originally Posted by bleu
    The trails AT Solitude aren't that great, but there's lots of great stuff in the canyon it's situated in.
    I think the trails at Solitude are awesome if you go all the way to the very top. Sol-Bright to the bottom absolutely rules. So far, it's my favorite trail in the Salt Lake area. But it's pretty painful to get to the top.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bleu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I think the trails at Solitude are awesome if you go all the way to the very top. Sol-Bright to the bottom absolutely rules. So far, it's my favorite trail in the Salt Lake area. But it's pretty painful to get to the top.
    Herein lies the problem

    I must admit though, racing XC there is a blast because of the buff alpine singletrack, but it's not very techy at all.
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.