So whats up with Toll canyon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

So whats up with Toll canyon?

Has Snyderville Basin Special Recreation District developed a final Management Plan?

Are hikers and bikers capable of sharing this trail?

Frame Building Moderator
    Trail does not yet exist and is not on the schedule for 2016 AFAIK. I believe the final management plan was approved with a bike/multiuse trail connecting to Hunters as well as a connection to WOS/Summit Park. The creek bottom will have a ped-only trail that I think will mostly use the existing social trail. Southern portion that climbs up to and overlooks Lamb's will remain undeveloped.

I can ask Bob if there is any timeframe for the trail but as of now I don't think we'll see it this year. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Trail does not yet exist and is not on the schedule for 2016 AFAIK. I believe the final management plan was approved with a bike/multiuse trail connecting to Hunters as well as a connection to WOS/Summit Park. The creek bottom will have a ped-only trail that I think will mostly use the existing social trail. Southern portion that climbs up to and overlooks Lamb's will remain undeveloped.

I can ask Bob if there is any timeframe for the trail but as of now I don't think we'll see it this year. I'd love to be wrong, of course.

-Walt
    There definitely is a trail and its up for debate whether it will open to mountain bikers and if they will link it to MM. By viewing satellite images it goes up to Murdock peak.

Since Snyderville Basin Recreation District now owns the land I would like to see the existing trail in Toll canyon be open to mountain biking. There are plenty of existing and proposed wilderness areas that already exclude mountain bikers, we should be pushing for every inch of trail possible.

Im not suggesting any major development for Toll canyon but a trail or two linking into MM would be fantastic. If the hikers are concerned about sharing their existing trail an additional mountain bike only trail would be a good option. But In my experience pedaling in PC, bikers and hikers seem to have no problem sharing the trails, and 99% of the time its a friendly encounter with smiles.

Toll Canyon agreements passed by Summit County and Park City councils - The Park Record

Probably couldn't hurt to contact Basin Rec. to express comments for support of mountain biking in Toll. May be old news for some but it shouldn't fall through the cracks.

Frame Building Moderator
    There was a whole planning process last year. I'll find you some links at some point but long story short, the existing trail is not what will be there later. There will be a link to MM open to bikes. When, I have no idea.

-Walt

Frame Building Moderator

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    thanks

^yep, read that article too, was a bit vague...must have glossed over where they mentioned the existing Toll canyon trail will remain hiking only. Which is fine with me if they plan on putting in a biking only trail. Keep everybody happy.

So it sounds like there are plans in the works for building a new mountain bike trail in Toll? Would love to see something that climbs to the top of Murdock from the Crest/Millcreek intersection and drops into Toll canyon all the way to I-80. That would also spread out bikers that go into Millcreek and down Ridge Connector/Robs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Utah needs to get with the program and design/sell a test model, multiuse uphill traffic trail to get things to connect down the road. Trail runners will be passing bikers, bikers swallow pride and and everyone will join hands and form an alliance against ebikes and shit deposited dog walkers. Horse and dog are the odd beast out. Play the water quality game.(shit talks)
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Or just figure it out. Not hard to connect pinebrook, timber and sumit park. If you want to hit lambs and climb over to elbow, just suck it up and slog it by crossing over to p summit and wrap over to lambs in the hot sun. Or fail/win and try to find that single track to lambs. Nothing like a little bit of Satan's chainsaw on the soft skin to give a dentist a new life. Sorry, the Utah vanilla brown carpet thing is a ****ing over the top. Need more rednecks on e bikes to inject some personality into this crap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Or just figure it out. Not hard to connect pinebrook, timber and sumit park. If you want to hit lambs and climb over to elbow, just suck it up and slog it by crossing over to p summit and wrap over to lambs in the hot sun. Or fail/win and try to find that single track to lambs. Nothing like a little bit of Satan's chainsaw on the soft skin to give a dentist a new life. Sorry, the Utah vanilla brown carpet thing is a ****ing over the top. Need more rednecks on e bikes to inject some personality into this crap.
    haha, yep.

For the most part the trails are pretty darn good here, been to a lot of places and we got it good. But yeah the brown carpet of death is the only kind of trail it seems we are getting these days. God forbid if they ever built in some rock slabs or root systems...The local builders/planners need to watch more videos on Pinkbike ...I just wish PC was a little more with the program like the PNW and BC builders are. Our network of trails is pretty big but they lack any form of creativity. The good/good trails here are the rogue ones built by mountainbikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yea, BC has a clue and as a result I believe foot and bike are on a closer program. I'd probably be beating the brown carpet drum if I lived near Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The double track in Toll is open to bikes. The singletrack along the creek is not. The double track is kind of a crappy slog up to some of the higher-up trails.

Per the last version of the management plan I saw, the upper parts of the canyon are not up for biking and will not have new trail constructed. There is a connector trail planned from some of the existing Summit Park trails down to Saint Moritz. Also, looking at the management plan, I think Basin Rec wants some sort of official and public trail around Pinebrook down to Gorgoza, where there is a public trailhead.

The public comments (and the wishes of the landowners who sold to Utah Open Lands/Basin Rec) were that the canyon remain as wild and rugged as possible. Basin Rec is going to provide signage and improve the existing trail alignments/integrate with surrounding public lands and neighborhoods, and that's about it. There was basically 0 support for making it another destination riding area during the public comment period.

If you want to check out the canyon, please park at Gorgoza or at the Summit Park trailheads. There is no public parking or trailhead access in Timberline. It's all private property. The upper part of Lamb's Canyon is also all private.

Toll is neither a riding destination on it's own nor is it an attractive place to attempt to connect to from the Crest, and that's fine. We've got a ton of better places to ride in the area.

Frame Building Moderator
    The management plan includes a Crest connector, actually (and I was at the meetings, there was plenty of support for this). When it will get built is an open question. It will follow the eastern boundary of the property.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    walt, the toll canyon parcel isn't near the crest.

Frame Building Moderator
    Oh, derp. I mis-thought. I meant MM/hunters. Which will, of course, connect you to the Crest after some MM time.

Sorry, my brain doesn't work on Saturdays, apparently.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Oh, derp. I mis-thought. I meant MM/hunters. Which will, of course, connect you to the Crest after some MM time.

Sorry, my brain doesn't work on Saturdays, apparently.

-Walt
    My brain never works. You get used to it after a while.

See you out on the trails if it ever decides to stop raining.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Its a shame that article concludes with that wet fart of a letter from Mrs Rutan.

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Its a shame that article concludes with that wet fart of a letter from Mrs Rutan.
    Yeah, she was a real joy at the public input meeting. The Basic Rec staff was visibly annoyed by her. Pretty much textbook NIMBY, and best of all, she hadn't even read the management plan ("but what about the wildlife?!?", "Ma'am, please look at the giant poster behind you about our extensive study of wildlife impacts.")

I spent most of my time there trying to resist the urge to ask her how much "significant damage" her upper Pinebrook house and driveway did to the "thick 100 year old forest".

-Walt