So what's the scoop on lift access dh in Utah?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,480

    So what's the scoop on lift access dh in Utah?

    So what's the scoop on lift access dh in Utah?

    Are any of these mountain parks open

    Snow bird UT

    Deer Valley UT

    Sundance Ski Resort, UT

    Bountiful "B", UT

    Wolf Creek Ski Resort, UT

    Brian Head Ski Resort, UT

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    So what's the scoop on lift access dh in Utah?

    Are any of these mountain parks open

    Snow bird UT

    Deer Valley UT

    Sundance Ski Resort, UT

    Bountiful "B", UT

    Wolf Creek Ski Resort, UT

    Brian Head Ski Resort, UT
    Brian Head June 27th

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9
    Sundance and Park City are open not sure of hrs/days of operation. These places have trails, but thats about it.

    Deer Valley opens on the 19th of June.

  4. #4
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by daisycutter
    So what's the scoop on lift access dh in Utah?

    Are any of these mountain parks open

    Bountiful "B", UT
    About time someone built a lift at Bountiful. However, I don't know how you're going to hook a 4 wheeler or one of those red neck modified dune buggy things to the chair.

    If anyone decides to go into anthropology, biology or any of the ology's, and needs to do a research paper on evolution. Just head up to the Bountiful B and sit along the dirt road on a Saturday. You'll be amazed at what you see running up and down that road.

    Or if you're just horney and it's been so long that you've lowered your standards below what is humanly possible to stand without lapsing into a coma, head up there with a couple cans of warm Coors, your favorite barely functioning gun and the 1984 4 wheeler you've been so desperately trying to revive for the past 8 years. Leave the helmet at home. You'll have a hog riding bitc# on your hog in no time.

    daisycutter: Bountiful is not a resort. Pretty far from it, but probably the best DH trails in the area.

  5. #5
    Chumley for prez!
    Reputation: mr. welcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider

    daisycutter: Bountiful is not a resort. Pretty far from it
    I would say that depends on your perspective, some might call it "the redneck riviera". Let's think:
    drinks-check
    entertainment-check
    chicks in bikinis - mehh, check, but generally not appealing
    lodging- check (there are tons of empty mcmansions right at the bottom I am sure the bank doesn't mind if you use).

    All I know is that evolutionarily, apparently the biking crowd values their brains more than the "4-wheelin'" crowd. Bikers = helmets 100% of the time, 4wheelers = helmets (the kind that cover your skull) ~20%. Natural Selection at it's finest.

    Also...I am on boycott at Deer Valley until they actually do some trail work (Anyone else want to hop on board?). I am sure they don't care, and don't read these posts, but I am a man of principles . I mean techy dustbowls are fun for a day or two and there is no doubt they make you a better rider, but I think they can do better. It's ironic actually given that during the winter they manicure their slopes more than anyone in America to tailor to fur coat wearing yuppies, but when it comes to "dirtbag" bikers, it's a free for all. This has already been hashed a zillion times so I won't beat a dead horse, but I am serious about the boycott thing .

  6. #6
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    good, you and everyone else boycott it then it won't turn into a dust bowl when Team Sanchez comes up to ride it! I agree with ya, if we could convince them the dust is snow maybe they'd groom it, it's deep enough in places!
    I like bikes.

  7. #7
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    Also...I am on boycott at Deer Valley until they actually do some trail work (Anyone else want to hop on board?). I am sure they don't care, and don't read these posts, but I am a man of principles . I mean techy dustbowls are fun for a day or two and there is no doubt they make you a better rider, but I think they can do better. It's ironic actually given that during the winter they manicure their slopes more than anyone in America to tailor to fur coat wearing yuppies, but when it comes to "dirtbag" bikers, it's a free for all. This has already been hashed a zillion times so I won't beat a dead horse, but I am serious about the boycott thing .
    Well, personally I'm on board for the DV boycott. However, I promised to take the girl up there to get her DH practice on. Got her a nice pair of knee and elbow armor and a fancy full face. Probably a bit overboard on the full face as I'm certain the 'hardest' trail we'll be hitting is Naildriver, but still. I wouldn't hear the end of it with a facial injury.

    $28 bucks this year. They better be doing something.

    I don't know if you paid attention last weekend when we rode up there, but besides working on the deck for all the fancy pants who eat in that restaurant, I didn't see any trail work being done. I think it was last year Wayno the Insano and I rode the first day the resort opened and they hadn't cleared any trees off any of the DH runs. Pretty fun coming around a blind corner while you're still half asleep, mildly freezing/numb and having a felled pine tree all up in your business. Gee thanks, here's your $24!!!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    9
    Rumor is they built 1 new trail to complement Thievs and Fire Swamp. I'm not sure what that means, but its worth a look.

  9. #9
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc84
    Rumor is they built 1 new trail to complement Thievs and Fire Swamp. I'm not sure what that means, but its worth a look.
    Hmmm....one day last year one of the lifties told us to check out the sick new DH trail that starts off one of the existing trails, Naildriver I believe. It ended being flat and just wound around a bunch of trees. I think I pedaled more on that DH trail than I have climbing up Spiro to Mid-Mountain.

    I hope that if they did cut a new trail, it wasn't designed by the guy who rides a '98 hardtail with super narrow, flat bars. I like my bars like I like the bottoms on my women: Wide and with a bit of rise. This nonsense of routing trails through trees spaced 18inches is getting old.

    I'll believe it when I see it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    410
    I rode the "new trail" last year a few times and, I must say (in disbelief, I might add) that they made a trail complete with BERMS. Deep, Ninja Cougar style berms. They even kept a hose down there to keep watering it until it bedded in. (lift your jaws off the floor) I will say it seemed a little tight, but that could just be my lack of skill. It was also a bit short. But still, a revolution in DV trail building style.

    As for some of their other trails (i.e. Aspen Slalom), I just can't fathom how when you hit a corner, bike leaned way the hell over, looking through, good technique, etc. there can still be a tree close enough to the trail to hit your brake lever and send you into the ground. Bullsh*t. I tell you.

  11. #11
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I rode the "new trail" last year a few times and, I must say (in disbelief, I might add) that they made a trail complete with BERMS. Deep, Ninja Cougar style berms. They even kept a hose down there to keep watering it until it bedded in. (lift your jaws off the floor) I will say it seemed a little tight, but that could just be my lack of skill. It was also a bit short. But still, a revolution in DV trail building style.

    As for some of their other trails (i.e. Aspen Slalom), I just can't fathom how when you hit a corner, bike leaned way the hell over, looking through, good technique, etc. there can still be a tree close enough to the trail to hit your brake lever and send you into the ground. Bullsh*t. I tell you.
    Hmmm....I don't recall any berms when I rode it. However, it may have been a totally different 'new trail' or they hadn't gotten that far yet. The trail I was on seemed more like something to cater to beginners and was cut into a fairly flat section of the mountain.

    My favorites are the Aspen Slalom switchbacks up high with the drops right in the middle that lead into a false flat climb, and repeat....

    However, the mother of all cluster f#cks was that big, wooden drop that was built off of Sunset or whatever that stunt trail is called. You have this big drop on a mild slope with 5ft of runout before you're hitting trees. Then if you survived that the trail just ended with the trees and you had to push your bike back up to the trail. They may have changed that, but for the longest time that is how it was. You'd see the run out getting pushed further and further back as kids kept plowing into the aspen and breaking the foilage down.
    Might as well had a few employees standing at the bottom with a big branch. When you land they'd say "Congratulations on cleaning this big stunt!" and then they start whacking you repeatedly with their branches.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    333
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    About time someone built a lift at Bountiful. However, I don't know how you're going to hook a 4 wheeler or one of those red neck modified dune buggy things to the chair.

    If anyone decides to go into anthropology, biology or any of the ology's, and needs to do a research paper on evolution. Just head up to the Bountiful B and sit along the dirt road on a Saturday. You'll be amazed at what you see running up and down that road.

    Or if you're just horney and it's been so long that you've lowered your standards below what is humanly possible to stand without lapsing into a coma, head up there with a couple cans of warm Coors, your favorite barely functioning gun and the 1984 4 wheeler you've been so desperately trying to revive for the past 8 years. Leave the helmet at home. You'll have a hog riding bitc# on your hog in no time.

    daisycutter: Bountiful is not a resort. Pretty far from it, but probably the best DH trails in the area.
    HAHA. I grew up in Bountiful and know the 'B crowd' well. You pretty much nailed the strange redneck mating ritual that occurs up there every weekend.

    Solitude offers lift service in the summer as well. Not a real downhill mecca, but very good XC riding.

  13. #13

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    15
    I heard from a friend that it was a long time Deer Valley employee who tore up the stunts on Bobsled this year. Since people started working on that trail, Deer Valley has been steadily losing customers because more and more people started to realize that the trails there suck so bad in comparison. Apparently they were worried about losing their summer job or something or just hate freeride stuff in general?
    Last edited by PussNbooty; 06-25-2009 at 11:10 AM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    200
    Where is Bobsled? I am sitting in Cedar City, will hit Navajo lake before a week in Park City. Would love to find another couple of places for XC and (gasp!) roading.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I rode the "new trail" last year a few times and, I must say (in disbelief, I might add) that they made a trail complete with BERMS. Deep, Ninja Cougar style berms. They even kept a hose down there to keep watering it until it bedded in. (lift your jaws off the floor) I will say it seemed a little tight, but that could just be my lack of skill. It was also a bit short. But still, a revolution in DV trail building style.

    As for some of their other trails (i.e. Aspen Slalom), I just can't fathom how when you hit a corner, bike leaned way the hell over, looking through, good technique, etc. there can still be a tree close enough to the trail to hit your brake lever and send you into the ground. Bullsh*t. I tell you.
    Yeah they built berms, but every single one of them completes the turn UPHILL. It's the most retarded thing I've ever ridden.

  16. #16
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Yeah they built berms, but every single one of them completes the turn UPHILL. It's the most retarded thing I've ever ridden.
    This is also what I've heard about the 'new' DH trail up trail up there. Lame.

  17. #17
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Well, personally I'm on board for the DV boycott. However, I promised to take the girl up there to get her DH practice on. Got her a nice pair of knee and elbow armor and a fancy full face. Probably a bit overboard on the full face as I'm certain the 'hardest' trail we'll be hitting is Naildriver, but still. I wouldn't hear the end of it with a facial injury.

    $28 bucks this year. They better be doing something.

    I don't know if you paid attention last weekend when we rode up there, but besides working on the deck for all the fancy pants who eat in that restaurant, I didn't see any trail work being done. I think it was last year Wayno the Insano and I rode the first day the resort opened and they hadn't cleared any trees off any of the DH runs. Pretty fun coming around a blind corner while you're still half asleep, mildly freezing/numb and having a felled pine tree all up in your business. Gee thanks, here's your $24!!!
    Just shuttle Devo. Perfect for a beginner anyway.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  18. #18
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    I am sure somebody is up there kicking loose rocks onto the trail or flattening out some of the corners. That **** doesn't happen on its own, you know.

    Oh, wait...

    JMH

  19. #19
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    I did a little XC ride from PC over to the Deer Valley lifts this afternoon.

    To answer everyone's first question: Yes, I did run into Tinker Juarez on Deer Crest. We talked a bit, caught up and I gave him some pointers to improve his race game. Pretty much the same thing when I run into biking legends.

    Second question: Yes, Wayno the Insano was riding with Mrs. Insano and was coming back over from the NCS course. Besides being a little muddy, their report is that there's been some work done on the NCS and there was a crew working on Thieves Forrest and Fireswamp and had part of the trail temporarily rerouted. Go figure. Who knows, maybe the resort's had a change of heart or maybe they read this Thread. Maybe Tinker was like, I'll crush out Thieves on my Mona Vie Cannondale XC bike but only if you do some trail work. Who knows.
    My boycott is still in effect and holding strong. However, seeing all those kids being whisked away to the top of the mountain while I was wallowing in a sweat soaked jersey and a rapidly drying out Camelbak made me tear up a bit.

  20. #20
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Deer Valley change of heart?

    I get the impression that maybe someone at Deer Valley's been reading the posts on this site and trying to make some improvements up there. But that's just speculation so....

    I have to give them some kudo's as I've been pretty hard on the resort and pushed for the race boycott this year, which happened with the DH series and until yesterday ended my boycott of the resort.
    I have to preface this by saying that I'm still not too happy about two years worth of increased lift prices to get to this point though.

    The entire backside of the resort down the Nail Driver switchbacks are finally in decent shape. Clear back to 2005 they've been slowly getting worse and worse right in the apex of each corner and are now decently shaped berms that you can actually carry speed on. Add to that quite a few 'water bars' of sorts that mimic small booters which are pretty fun. There was even a bit of work done on the lower sections which just made the place flow a bit better than usual. I hope they keep it up and maybe do some work with those switchbacks on Aspen Slalom and make them a bit more user friendly.

    werd.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,135
    Great to hear that! Looking forward to getting back up there, maybe this weekend...

  22. #22
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit
    Great to hear that! Looking forward to getting back up there, maybe this weekend...
    If you hit the Visitor's Center in Kimball Junction you can pick up 2 for 1 passes that are good Monday-Friday. Might make the $28 a bit more easy to swallow.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    136
    Keep it up, any and all updates for DV are appreciated. I'll be there in two weeks renting a bike, riding the lifts, and going downhill.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: UtahSpines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    92
    Rode Deer Valley today and it was great. We had a few scattered storms wet the trails so they were in great shape. The dust is not bad at all. Overall the trails were in good shape, the majority of the berms looked good but there is a lot of overgrowth on some of the trails due to our wet spring.

  25. #25
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahSpines
    Rode Deer Valley today and it was great. We had a few scattered storms wet the trails so they were in great shape. The dust is not bad at all. Overall the trails were in good shape, the majority of the berms looked good but there is a lot of overgrowth on some of the trails due to our wet spring.
    UtahSpines, have you ridden Wolf Creek yet this year? I have to say that I was pretty harsh towards them as in 2007 they had an ok trail system but an awesome jump park/dual slalom course. Come 2008 that section of the mountain was closed and the attitude seemed lackluster at best. Kind of a waste of time and money driving all the way up there when I could fill the truck up with gas and shuttle Bountiful.

    I guess this year they had a big change of heart and have cut a couple of really decent trails. One XC/scenic trail and an awesome addition to the lower section of last year's DH race course. I wouldn't say it's as 'epic' as Deer Valley's NCS or Thieves/Fireswamp, but is more of a fun resort more in the spirit of the Bobsled. Kind of an odd mountain as all the steep stuff is on terrain void of any rocks but mimics East Coast riding with more dark, soft dirt and roots. The XCish stuff over and off to the side is where the earth pushed all the rocks to. To sort of prove my point, a good friend of mine who races DH was adament about never going up there unless there was a race. He just hated it. After the event earlier this year he was pretty stoked and took off by himself to ride it this morning. Big change of heart.

    If you're a beginner DH'er this is probably the place as the injury factor seems to be a lot lower than say Deer Valley. However, you miss out on riding/practicing rocks.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: UtahSpines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    92
    I haven't got out much and have not been up to Wolf Creek yet. I need to reduce the injury factor for sure. The last two trips to Deer Valley left me bloody and bruised. Those last runs get me every time. I still don't have a worthy all-mountain/freeride steed but I have lucked out both times with Intense and Kona demo's the days I have gone. My little 4 inch XC makes it fun choosing good lines on Thieves etc but its nice to just huck it and go. You can only tear drop and pray so much. Got to try Kona's new Coiler or Coilair and the stab. Pretty fun rides and its always nice not to hesitate on the drops. One of these days........

  27. #27
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    I was just wondering, What are the trails like riding up the tram and back down?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daisycutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,480
    Are you talking about snowbird. I was not aware DV had a tram?

  29. #29
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    ya snowbird, sorry. No I dont think DV has a tram.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    66

    Snowbasin rocks

    didn't read all the posts, but consider SB, at 18 bucks a day, no idiot tourists in slaps bogging down the lift, crying like babies when a storm hits...

    SB at 80$ season pass is amazing. Two trails down, super fast gondola up, great service attitude at the resort. Haven't gone up this year, but last year was amazing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.