So how'se the weather/trails in St. George / Hurricane?- Mtbr.com
    Chilling out

So how'se the weather/trails in St. George / Hurricane?

I'm in Durango right now, looking for my next ride location, driving down Friday and finding a place to park my camping trailer and ride some.

I've been looking at staying in Hurricane or St. George but would welcome other ideas if people wish to share.

I've been looking to ride Gooseberry, etc., for a nice weekend.

Or maybe Mother Nature and the Weather are telling me to go on to Sedona?

I don't mind riding whetted sandstone and friends, even in colder weather, but would not enjoy riding DURING rainfall (so call me a wuss, go ahead, see if I care, I'm on vacation).

Cheers, and TIA

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'm in Durango right now, looking for my next ride location, driving down Friday and finding a place to park my camping trailer and ride some.

I've been looking at staying in Hurricane or St. George but would welcome other ideas if people wish to share.

I've been looking to ride Gooseberry, etc., for a nice weekend.

Or maybe Mother Nature and the Weather are telling me to go on to Sedona?

I don't mind riding whetted sandstone and friends, even in colder weather, but would not enjoy riding DURING rainfall (so call me a wuss, go ahead, see if I care, I'm on vacation).

Cheers, and TIA
    Southern Utah is suppose to get a huge storm starting this afternoon. Last Friday we got 1 to 1.5 inches of rain. I would guess the road to Goose will be a sloppy mess. The slick rock mesa's are usually very ridable when wet, getting there is usually the biggest problem.

I rode some of JEM and Hurricane Rim on Monday and it was just barely dried out enough. If it looks like it's worth riding on Saturday, I'll probably try to do Prospector/ Church Rocks, although we have Goose on the schedule.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Chilling out
    I'm going to keep an eye out.

I've decided another day of skiing at Durango Mountain Resort is in order, then heading down to either St. George or AZ on Saturday.

Weather Underground has St. George starting to dry out Sunday, so maybe Monday there would be something rideable like Goose? I know that the one suggested road in is dirt, and sounds to me like a Bad Idea right now even for my Outback, but I've had others tell me that there may be an alternative way in. Dunno realliy.

I'm sure not against hitting AZ first, or maybe even rolling further west into Nevada (Bootleg?) but I sure don't know how good they're going to be either.

Word on the AZ forum is that Phoenix will dry out fast, so maybe I should just be heading down there. If so, I'm probably coming back up if the conditions warrant.

Screw OPEC.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'm going to keep an eye out.

I've decided another day of skiing at Durango Mountain Resort is in order, then heading down to either St. George or AZ on Saturday.

Weather Underground has St. George starting to dry out Sunday, so maybe Monday there would be something rideable like Goose? I know that the one suggested road in is dirt, and sounds to me like a Bad Idea right now even for my Outback, but I've had others tell me that there may be an alternative way in. Dunno realliy.

I'm sure not against hitting AZ first, or maybe even rolling further west into Nevada (Bootleg?) but I sure don't know how good they're going to be either.

Word on the AZ forum is that Phoenix will dry out fast, so maybe I should just be heading down there. If so, I'm probably coming back up if the conditions warrant.

Screw OPEC.
    There are 2 ways in, dirt road or by air. There are 2 ways in on the main road, from Rockville, steep and rocky, and from highway 59. The road has some low spots coming off of 59 and those spots can be in the worst condition, giant mud holes. You have to turn off of the Rville to 59 road and this road can also be muddy. The other spot that will be bad is from the outhouse to the main trail head. Lots of large mud puddles.

Like I said earlier, the trail will probably be ok, the road most likely won't.

Bootleg seems to handle the water very well, so it miight be in good shape.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member

Some Alternitives

If we get as much rain as there saying, there might not be much ridding done this weekend. However, if you do stay clear of the clay trails around St. George,= Bear Poppy trail system.
    Ride insted, Pioneer Rim, City Creek and Paradise Canyon as one trail. Also Church Rocks and If you can get to goose, that would be ok too, unless it get's cold. Gooseberry is about 1000+ feet above St. George/Hurricane so it can freeze and or snow. The road into Goose is nasty clay and comming in from Rockville woluld not be recomended. Barrel Rolls may also be OK.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I rode Gooseberry Wednesday night and JEM yesterday, they were perfect. I saw/heard there was a storm coming last night so I got out of there. There was rain/snow most of the way back home to Fruita last night. I would imagine that stuff is sloppy now. The road to GBerry was decent but there were spots that were a little sketchy in my Legacy yesterday morning.

Go to Sedona if the weather looks good, I'd say. I'll be heading down there in a month, so excited! Love those trails...
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Chilling out
    Advice really appreciated people.

I'm heading westward tomorrow morning, soon as I can based upon road conditions (pulling a trailer makes me a bit more conservative).

I'm hoping for the rain to have not been much, but we shall see.

I'm keeping shop numbers in my speed-dial on my mobile so I can re-route in-route if I need to.

At least this time of year I don't need to make campground reservations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It was raining pretty good out on HWY 59 2 hours ago. I'm betting its going to be pretty wet out there in the morning.

Chilling out
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndrome
    It was raining pretty good out on HWY 59 2 hours ago. I'm betting its going to be pretty wet out there in the morning.
    From the weather stuff I saw it looks like tonight is supposed to be the end of the cycle for a bit, with drying starting tomorrow. Any thoughts on it being doable on Sunday or Monday?

I'm thinking I can cruise into St. George/Leeds/Hurricane (wherever I end up parking my camper trailer) and get some riding in starting Sunday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    msn weather calls for rain in the morning, and snow the next night. Thats for hurricane. That rain might be snow at goose being that its at a higher elevation.

mtbr member
    just so you know it was all rain in northern Arizona. Snow levels started out at 11,000' before dropping. Dang. It's still gonna be soggy in Sedona if you head that way. Oak Creek went up 10' but is now going back down. The low has retrograded towards Baja and will cross the state monday but still might be mostly south of sedona. Sat and Sunday are now looking partly cloudy to sunny. Middle and end of the week are looking real nice. If I were to ride in sedona, the trails that dry out quickest are west of the airport. Ridge trail, secret slickrock, Shelby Canyon etc.

Chilling out
    Having just driven into town (ok, got here about 9:45, had things to do, like work out how to use my mobile phone to get my computer online since the wanker rv park turned off their wifi) I can say that it's pretty much all snow above the elevation of Hurricane.

I drove through stupid snow/near-blizzard conditions coming across. I'm so very tired. Plus, it was dark. Oh yay.

Still, I survived. Everything's intact. But based upon the rain I saw coming into town I'm going to find it surprising if there's anything ride-worthy for Sunday. Please feel free to post up and tell me I'm wrong.

Shoot me a PM with a phone number to call if local ride connections are available. :^)

I'm thinking of having breakfast and finding some good coffee (Bear Paw Coffee probably, between 7-8am - how can I *not* go there) to warm up and make a final check here, then go check the state of a couple of the local trailheads that were previously named is maybe-ok (but I don't know how much rain they got today). Church Rocks, Barrell Ride, come to mind.

I'd cruise the bike shops first, but it looks to me like they're call closed on Sunday. Big surprise. I should have called en-route, but lame-o me didn't think of it.

I'm also toying with the idea of pulling out after coffee and heading down to Vegas. Looks to me like they have dry dirt and rock to play with, and that really is what I'm after.

Members who have read this thread: 0