So, does winter suck or what?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

So, does winter suck or what?...

As I posted before, my wife and I are seriously considering making the move to Utah, but last night over dinner the question came up "Don't you think yo would get sick of winter?!".

So, I guess I'm wondering just how many months of gloomy, gray, arctic nut-freezing cold you guys have to get through? Can you ride? Does the sun ever come out between November and April?!

Man, I love to snowboard and ski, but too long without wearing shorts and flip flops is bad for the soul. My bikes would get sad...they might develop some sort of complex? Would I have to grow a beard and war a fur hat to fit in? I've go the hat, but I can't grow a beard for ****.

I live in N. Georgia right now...it gets pretty cold here, too (but it's the humidity that kills ya ; ). We don't have very much snow, just lots of 32 degree rains, gray days, and wind. Of course, all that last a whopping 3-4 months then it's back to shorts again. The downside is, there are more legal trails around SLC than in the whole state of GA, and more trails in Utah than in GA, TN, and NC combined! Of course, if they are covered in 40 ft of snow most of the year I guess it's a wash, hu?

So, what's the lowdown? How do you hard core dirt junkies deal with those endless months of snowfall? Is it really that bad? I'd hate to move out there and discover winter made me feel like I was in "the shining". I would imagine foks have it pretty dialed in and there is more to do than meets the eye, but I am definatley curious. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Snow board or cross country ski.

Also next year I will look into snow shoeing.

I also like to cross train and run.

I too also like the warmth but it is nice for the variety.If winter was a bit shorter then it would be just that much more awesome.

Of course this is just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Actually, all that sounds pretty enjoyable. I suppose it is only a few hours drive south to some awesome riding even in the dead of winter.

mmm bacon

Utah as per a Transplanted New Yorker

"Don't you think yo would get sick of winter?!". Nope not really the winters here are moderate, half the winter I'm in shorts going to the gym and with a pair of good tights you can roadride year round, I commute to school and work on my bike from March through Dec. you do get a little rain and snow but I find it to be minor.

So, what's the lowdown? How do you hard core dirt junkies deal with those endless months of snowfall? I go to Las Vegas ( 5 hours away) and you ride bootleg and everyother trail there, When I go down I stay at the Flamingo for 50 a night between 2 to 4 people it's next to nothing and the nightlife is a welcome change from SLC.

The truth of it all is that once you move here and your friends come to visit they will want to move here too, so the question you have to ask yourself is can I handle lying to all my friends so I can keep this place to myself All my friends didn't want to move salaries on the East Coast crush what you get around here, but in all fairness the cost of living is low...for now.

JK

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ahhh, that's what I needed to hear! I actually checked out the average temps for SLC and they seem to be very similar to here (but without the humidity & colder at night). It really does look like a great place to live. As far as cost of living, it is relatively low now, but I bet it may not stay that way for long. I bet in the next decade the housing prices in that area will more than double. I just hope we can get in on teh front end of that

ride more.
    Nov 2004

stay away.

just kidding. kind of.

winter is not bad here. plenty of sunny days between storms. st. goerge and vegas are close with great riding all winter long. summer is unbelievable.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Winter isn't that bad there (I'm in SoCal now, but grew up in CO and went to school in UT). The great thing about UT is that you have a lot of options. There are always winter sports close to SLC. But, if you ever need to get away for a weekend St. George is only about a 4 hour drive. Moab isn't too much farther than that either (if not closer). Overall, I think it is a great place to live for an outdoor/mt. bike enthusiast.

Mar 2006
    well here is my 2 cents on it. keep in mind i'm from southern california where winter means i have to wear pants and a short sleved shirt and not shorts and a tee shirt.

now with that being said. WINTER BLOWS GOATS!!!!!! and I DO have proof! i have lived here for less then 2 years, and personally i dont care for the cold/winter/SNOW. but again thats me. while snow is cool (again in my opinion) for like a month or two, its not cool when it snows for half the F'in YEAR! if you and your family are outdoorsy type. then utah is not that bad. for the area and what it has to offer. but it is a culture shock. trust me i lived back in south carolina and moved here (go air force). go from southern baptist to lds. it takes some adjustment. but on the plus side no humidity!

like i said that is my 2 cents. take it with a grain of salt.... then a shot of tequila...

mtbr member
    If you do end up moving here, just diversify your sports. There's no need to JUST bike. Um, can I say that on a biking bored?

Take up skiing, snowshoeing, snowboarding something! We were cross country skiers for many years, but then finally acquired enough money to buy telemark gear for me and my husband. Plus we needed to go faster! Now it's our second season teleskiing and I wish I would have started earlier - it's just too much fun.

Sometimes the inversion sets in around February - which is really depressing. So much thick smog you don't even know where the sun is. You pray for a big storm to "clean" out the valley. However this year was quite nice in Cache Valley, no red days.

You could always fly Southwest airlines to CA for $49 one way! Vegas is cheap to fly into too. Lots of deals to warm places.

However, I have always grown up with snow so it's normal to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I think a few posters are trying to gloss over the winters here. Yeah, I suppose you can wear shorts and t-shirt to the gym, but you'll be freezing your balls off between your car and the front door of the gym. Having said that, I love being here, and enjoy the winters. Here's my perspective of the winters:

Winter in SLC basically lasts from November to March (5 months). At least 4 of those months are pretty damn cold. And there will be days in October and April when you'll need a coat/jacket. At least once per year, SLC will get an "inversion" that will last a couple weeks. During those weeks, you don't see the sun. Other than that, the sun is usually shining if it isn't snowing. Winters will vary though. Last winter (the best winter I can remember) had almost no accumulation of snow in the valley but 600 inches of snow at the resorts. Almost every day was either a powder day or a biking day (on the lower elevation trails). This winter has been great for skiing/boarding but horrible for biking. Every time I think the trails are going to FINALLY be clear enough to ride it snows. I've had to shovel my driveway at least a dozen times, which translates into snowy and muddy trails.

Last Saturday, I was loving life in Moab. Last Monday, I was boarding in fresh powder. Yesterday, I was enjoying some of the best spring skiing conditions imaginable. Utah rocks (for the outdoor enthusiast). Winters can be rough, but like other posters have stated, you just adapt your hobbies to take advantage of what Utah has to offer.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I moved to SLC from Seattle this year. The winters are definetly colder then the PNW. It is quite sunny between the storms though. I never biked much in the winter up there because of all the rain. And I haven't here this winter either. Just grab your snowboard or ski's and hit one of the many ski resorts on one on the many pow days we get and you'll forget all about mountain biking. I've never had so many face shots in my life. It's amazing how many great resorts there are here so close to the city and how great the snow is. it's starting to warm up now so I'm starting to get back into biking, but for the past four months i haven't missed mtb'ing at all. the snow and mountains are that good here - really!! And there's no crowds at all mid-week, at least up Big Cottonwood. Like others have said you can always take a quick trip down to St. George if you need. One could easily argue that the winters are the best thing about living in SLC - even for an avid mountain biker.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

winters in SLC vs Denver

I imagine the winters are somewhat similar in SLC and Denver. Basically mid-October through early April. Sounds like a long time, doesn't it? I basically don't like winter, but it's been a fact of life for me except when I lived in...San Diego. Went out there just to check it out for a few years. Fun for awhile, but I missed winters! You can completely disregard anything anyone from Southern California says about what we in the mountain states call winter. In San Diego, if it rained just a few drops the locals would whine "I hate the rain". If it got to 30 degrees (an exceedingly rare event but does occassionally, at least in El Cajon, etc) they would feel justified to feel as if they were enduring an absolute hell. This, while wearing shorts and a tee shirt and b!tching about how cold it was. Jeez, dude, put on a coat, if you own one, that is. If it got over 75 they'd commiserate with each about how hot it was.

So, for me, winter as I know it is just something you do your best to enjoy. Ski/snowboard on Utahs fabled powder, bike on the warm days, revel in the change of the seasons. You can put on a multiple layers and a coat to keep warm, and wear shorts when it warms up. Simple formula.

mtbr member
    I would just like to add that I'm north of SLC and it's generally 10 degrees colder up in this valley. I also bike commute to work all year round. So it's not THAT cold for this Indiana-native girl. Besides anything below 20 degrees all feels the same anyway!

Members who have read this thread: 0