Snowbird Roller Coaster- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Snowbird Roller Coaster

Apparently Snowbird is trying to get the okay to build a roller coaster in Little Cottonwood Canyon in order to create some more summer revenue?? When are ski resorts going to jump on the mountain bike band wagon and stick with proven revenue instead of building an ugly structure throughout the mountains?
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13952239

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorwegianRepresentative
    When are ski resorts going to jump on the mountain bike band wagon and stick with proven revenue instead of building an ugly structure throughout the mountains?
    I wish I had $1 for every time that was said around here. I don't understand it myself. Although I must admit I'm not 100% convinced that in Utah there is a "mtb bandwagon" and that it would truly be "proven revenue" when it comes to lift-assisted riding. For now we've only got Field of Dreams speculation - "if you build it they will come" - but until a resort SERIOUSLY steps up to the plate we'll never know. We'll continue to complain about (but still ride) the offerings at DV and Sundance and continue to road-trip to destinations that have already figured it out.

IMO, roller coasters belong at Lagoon not in the woods. If equal effort was made on getting a worthy bike trail from the top of Hidden Peak all the way down LCC to the bottom of the canyon, there would be very little in the world that could compete with that kind of vertical feet. People would eagerly and repeatedly pay for a tram ride to the top. And it would cost a fraction of what some lame roller-coaster would to build and maintain.

But then again - fat and drunken Octoberfest attendees probably outspend a whole summer of bikers.

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    IMO, roller coasters belong at Lagoon not in the woods. If equal effort was made on getting a worthy bike trail from the top of Hidden Peak all the way down LCC to the bottom of the canyon, there would be very little in the world that could compete with that kind of vertical feet. People would eagerly and repeatedly pay for a tram ride to the top. And it would cost a fraction of what some lame roller-coaster would to build and maintain.

But then again - fat and drunken Octoberfest attendees probably outspend a whole summer of bikers.
    For once...and I sort of hate myself a little for saying this, I am totally behind Save our Canyons on this one! The plans for this roller coaster thing just seem silly. At first I thought it was a joke, but then I realized it isn't April yet.

Hidden peak to the bottom of LCC! Holy $hit...it would be like our own little Megavalanche, snow included! A race down something like that (assuming the trail is worthy), would put everything else stateside to shame! It hurts my feelings to think about all the opportunities wasted.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. welcorn
    For once...and I sort of hate myself a little for saying this, I am totally behind Save our Canyons on this one! The plans for this roller coaster thing just seem silly. At first I thought it was a joke, but then I realized it isn't April yet.

Hidden peak to the bottom of LCC! Holy $hit...it would be like our own little Megavalanche, snow included! A race down something like that (assuming the trail is worthy), would put everything else stateside to shame! It hurts my feelings to think about all the opportunities wasted.
    For once...and I sort of hate mr. welcorn for making me think of and now say write this, I am totally behind the French! They kicked and screamed at the creation of Euro Disney and the cheap structures 'that are built with bubblegum.' Granted they've already done so much for us thus far: Supported us during the American Revolution, gave us the Statue of Liberty, French Fries, Non-Rated films with lots of nudity-although subtitled, capitulated and formed the Vichy Government during WW2 and thus dragged out the war even longer giving tens of thousands of young Americans a chance to fight 'Jerry' too.

I would hope that the French will once again come to our aid and stop this stupid F #cking idea.

Sure, sure. I will help zee Emericans right after I finish my Christmuus pooding.

Last edited by slcrockymountainrider; 01-12-2011 at 11:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    May not have worded my original post well but nonetheless brings up the ongoing battle of mountain bike trails; and to make people aware of the possible scar in little cottonwood canyon if there ever becomes a point where the public view actually matters and is taken into consideration instead of revenue as most of the land is apparently privately owned.

mtbr member
    ^^^ I think your original and follow-up posts explain how most people out here feel. I don't *think* anybody is disagreeing with you. A roller coaster is a dumb idea, more trails are not.

It would be really interesting to see the financial data around their roller coaster idea and compare that with what it would cost to develop a bike park. Granted, there are a number of up-front and ongoing costs with both, but my guess is a bike park would be WAY cheaper and bring in a pretty significant revenue stream. Don't quote me on the exact numbers but I heard that the entire cost, from when it was conceived until now, of developing the Whister Bike Park is like $4 million. My guess is that Crankworx brings in over $4M of tourism revenue plus an obscene amount of publicity for them every year.

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheProf
    Wonder if they'll spec the capactiy of the over-the-highway 'coaster bridge in brats or beers?

(Image from this article: https://www.utahoutside.com/2011/01/...oller-coaster/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    [QUOTE=TheProf]^^^ I think your original and follow-up posts explain how most people out here feel. I don't *think* anybody is disagreeing with you. A roller coaster is a dumb idea, more trails are not.
    QUOTE]

Nah man sorry, I wasn't trying to suggest that people were disagreeing just trying to clarify what I was shooting for with this thread.....trying to make people aware.

mtbr member

Preliminary approval!

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13981288

Can't wait to hear grown men screaming like little girls and seeing people puke! Wait, that happens in bike parks too. Nevermind.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Looks like a longer, more obnoxious version of the slide at the PCMR.

Great. More fat people, corporate summer parties and lame High School dates in the canyons.

Picture Unrelated
    I don't think it will do any good, but I posted my disapproval on the facebook post Snowbird made about this. Feel free to join in (if this link works in any way).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...80324&comments

It wasn't good enough that they had to put in an eyesore rollercoaster (yes, smaller and lamer than the PC version just like the rest of the summer activities) but they had to cross the road onto Superior.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    I don't think it will do any good, but I posted my disapproval on the facebook post Snowbird made about this. Feel free to join in (if this link works in any way).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...80324&comments

It wasn't good enough that they had to put in an eyesore rollercoaster (yes, smaller and lamer than the PC version just like the rest of the summer activities) but they had to cross the road onto Superior.
    It's a sad day when a corporate monster like Facebook becomes an outlet for protest and dissent.
    Seems from the responses there that most are against the idea but from the text underneath the photo it sounds like they are well on their way to making this a reality.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    It's a sad day when a corporate monster like Facebook becomes an outlet for protest and dissent.
    Seems from the responses there that most are against the idea but from the text underneath the photo it sounds like they are well on their way to making this a reality.
    Yeah no kidding. I suppose it's a feeble attempt at voicing an opinion, but at least it's an attempt. I think we all know we're powerless against the corporate Bass empire, what they want, they will get. They own the land, and they will damn sure **** it to death.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yeah no kidding. I suppose it's a feeble attempt at voicing an opinion, but at least it's an attempt. I think we all know we're powerless against the corporate Bass empire, what they want, they will get. They own the land, and they will damn sure **** it to death.

Letters on facebook go nowhere and disappear quickly. Letters to your reps, your newspaper are much more effective.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Looks hella fun, when is it going to be ready?

1/4 semi-pro
    how come people want to riide bikes down a slid? that seems stupide
    not anti-bobsled

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Looks hella fun, when is it going to be ready?
    They already have a better one at park city resort if you really wanted to ride one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Why don't they just do Lagoon and leave the canyons at peace? Are the resorts that desperate?

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalayon
    Why don't they just do Lagoon and leave the canyons at peace? Are the resorts that desperate?
    I don't even know if this could be called desperate. Get someone infatuated with taking their kids to Disneyland for family vacation every summer, even after their kids turn 16, into the wrong position at the wrong company and you get stupidity and tackiness on a grand corporate level such as this.

Welcome to Snowbird.

richard kicker
    Mar 2008
    good thing they got shut down on there idea so now no one has to worry about this slide going in.

Members who have read this thread: 0