Snowbird Big Mountain Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail

Anyone tried out the new trail? How is it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm hoping to check it out this Saturday. Would love to hear some info on it, too

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeGro View Post
    Anyone tried out the new trail? How is it?
    Hope it is better than the photo I saw. Nothing but straight grade to switchback and repeat. What a disappointment!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    and here:
    The Lifts Are Turning At Snowbird, Utah - Pinkbike

If you ride bike park often and are a DH rider you will be very disappointed with this trail...the "Big Mountain Trail" is really a xc trail with straight grades and tight switchbacks with zero features. Not worth it to pay any money to ride this trail. Push/Pedal your bike up and then link it with the LCC trail, really the only reason to do it. Otherwise spend your money at Canyons or Deer Valley bike parks.

Not sure what Snowbird was trying to accomplish by showing a DH rider jumping out of the tram...is that supposed to make this trail cool? A bit deceiving if you ask me.

As of now its pretty lame, I hope the bird will step it up. too bad, soo sad

YRG
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    and here:
    The Lifts Are Turning At Snowbird, Utah - Pinkbike

If you ride bike park often and are a DH rider you will be very disappointed with this trail...the "Big Mountain Trail" is really a xc trail with straight grades and tight switchbacks with zero features. Not worth it to pay any money to ride this trail. Push/Pedal your bike up and then link it with the LCC trail, really the only reason to do it. Otherwise spend your money at Canyons or Deer Valley bike parks.

Not sure what Snowbird was trying to accomplish by showing a DH rider jumping out of the tram...is that supposed to make this trail cool? A bit deceiving if you ask me.

As of now its pretty lame, I hope the bird will step it up. too bad, soo sad
    The comments section doesn't quite agree with the builders description of the trail. I think if we buy tickets, ride the trail once and then ask for a refund, snowbird might get the message.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by YRG View Post
    The comments section doesn't quite agree with the builders description of the trail. I think if we buy tickets, ride the trail once and then ask for a refund, snowbird might get the message.
    Also, when they say "Blitch and Fields say it takes about 90 minutes for less experienced riders and less than an hour for more advanced riders." yet the Strava segment shows KOM at under 30 minutes and nearly everyone at under 60 minutes, I think there is major disagreement with what they want the trail to be and what it really is.

Massive mountain bike trail opens at Snowbird resort - Good4Utah.com

Strava Segment | Big Mountain DH

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I used to ride Snowbird, just a few times to realize it's too steep to be fun either up or down.

mtbr member
    You guys must be jaded. It must really suck to have a brand new 30-60 minute descent in your back yard.

Climb it in the morning before 11:00 and you don't even have to pay (money ).
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Frame Building Moderator
    Ah, internet haters. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

That said, I would never hire MT to build anything but XC stuff.

-Walt

Perpetual n00b
    Looks like a hiking trail with a few bermed corners
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    After reading all the controversial reports online and wondering if criticism is just easier than appreciating what has been done ...I went to check out the trail for myself on Saturday.

I did not expect stunts or anything that would make the trail Freeride, DH or other. I simply went to ride a gravity trail hoping for some flow and fun. This trail has both great potential and issues. One thing to mention, not complaining - just noting for others, this may be one of the rockiest trails in the Wasatch. Get ready to jackhammer.

Now, focusing on what should be a fun directional trail and not worrying about preferences for tech, stunts, gnar etc. ...the switchbacks are ridiculous. Many have complained and some have conversely said to not judge the whole trail by a few switchbacks. Honestly, switchbacks and turns are a major component of every trail. Done wrong, they ruin the experience and kill the flow. The switchbacks on this trail are stupid. A few are actually tight enough that you must crawl to make the turn.

Up top they were limited by grade; but, they should use wood and open the berm radius up. Down lower, some of the berms are made in open areas with room to spare and they still were made tight and flat for no reason at all. It appears the builders threw the trail in fast to get people riding and made turns as big as they technically needed to be to be rideable ...without looking at how big they should be to carry speed and keep the flow.

That said, I spoke with someone and it appears that opening up turns is on the list of things to do for next season. Can anyone confirm this? If they open up some turns, it could be a great trail.

First run I was upset at how ridiculous so many turns were. Second run I found a better pace and had a better time - still found tight turns to be ridiculous. Summary: not a chance that I will return unless I hear the turns are opened up. Not worth the money they are asking. There are better, smoother, flowier trails for free elsewhere.

If you like to take it easy and flow and turns don't matter. You may enjoy the trail. Scenery is all time. beautiful ride no doubt.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    This state doesn't know how to build berms.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    As well as disrupting the flow of the trail, the tight turns will cause monster braking bumps because everyone has to shut it down from pretty high speeds to make a lot of the corners.

Overall, I agree that there is huge potential with this trail and the others that will hopefully be built. I love the rocks and the roughness. That's what this area needs. But it's obvious that this trail, though impressive in its scope, was rushed and is not a finished product.

Steve Lloyd's new video does a really good job in making the trail look pretty damn good. It shows where the groove is getting ridden in and when the bench cut starts to re-veg a bit and after the trail sits through a winter it should ride and looks a little better. AT desperately needs to get back in there and open up a lot of turns and tweak some spots now that the lines are getting burned in.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The first nine switchbacks from the top have been re built. Due to the extreme steepness of the Regulator Johnson area and the inability to build wood features there(Forest Service and grooming terrain in winter restrictions) those turns are now steep drop away advanced level turns with grade reversals leading in to minimize brake usage. All now have a much wider radius and once settled and ridden enough will rip. The switchbacks in the lower regulator area into the narrows have been stacked and blown out. All straight aways have had jumps added and rollers mellowed. Builder is working his way down and plans to stay until snowed out, but that is also completely dependent on Snowbirds willingness to continue with trail improvements. After all, Snowbird is a business and money is a factor in most business decisions. More public input and positive reaction to the current improvements will be very helpful. Everything happens for a reason, the trail was built were it is and the way it is because of FS restrictions and the grade was dictated by the unfortunate necessity of the trail being climbable (everyone makes mistakes) which greatly effects the location of each switchback. There are only more great things to come at the Bird for the mountain biking community. They have already proven they are willing to listen to the public and make improvements, so keep the CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms coming and be excited for the future of freeride/DH biking at the bird. There is a lot of potential for that mountain as long as the FS cooperates and the next phase is built in the correct terrain. There is a reason almost all successful bike parks are built in very mellow terrain… not on 40-50 degree pitches.

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I truly believe that this trail can be a good one. I'm kind of surprised, in a good way, to see that someone listened and changes are already being made this season.

Longing for dirt
    Jun 2008
    Great to hear they are tweaking this trail! The potential is there.

mtbr member
    I gotta get over there and ride this. It sounds like fun..... and getting better.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Needs wheels on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1504.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1486.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1480.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1486.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1494.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1503.jpg  

Snowbird Big Mountain Trail-img_1458.jpg  

mtbr member
    Those berms are huge and you need to rotate your pics!
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ya, sorry. Not sure why they uploaded like that. They were straight before the upload and not sure why there are duplicates. Either way you can see the changes. All in all a total of 15 re built berms, a handful of different style jumps, rollers added and old ones mellowed.

mtbr member
    Looks nice. Unfortunately, from my office I can see snow up there. Is it done for the year?
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

mtbr member
    Hope not. I was planning on checking it out tomorrow.
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Any updates on how/if the trail has been improved from last year?

One of the last posts in this thread showed a few big looking berms; but, while I was running the DirtyBird on Saturday, we passed part of the lower trail and I observed berms that were still flat and tight.