Snowbasin ~ partial report- Mtbr.com
    on yer left
    Apr 2008

Snowbasin ~ partial report

Last night I rode Wheeler Creek to Art Nord and tried to head up East Fork. Sadly East Fork has (as usual) been completely fvcked by horses and bikers riding when it was wet. It's beyond un-fun and a complete skip as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully they can get it graded soon.

Just got back from an exploration of Green Pond and I'm happy to report it's in really good shape. The 1st stream crossing is REALLY wet and needs to be hiked with care. After that the trail is in great shape but requires extreme care to be taken with each water crossing. Just tread lightly and you're good to go. The dirt in the trees is perfect and tacky while the rock gardens need some traffic for fast lines to emerge. Once you cross the road (lower Penny Lane?) you can climb through most of the fun rock gardens until you get back into the trees. Eventually you'll run into a corner where the trail IS the stream and it's time to turn around. It was simply too wet to try to hike around.

It's really pretty up there right now as the flowers are popping, everything is neon green and the upper slopes are still holding snow. Wheeler Creek -> Old Snowbasin Road -> Green Pond -> East Fork might be a good loop as East Fork is probably more doable downhill and the traffic could help smooth it out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the update! I was thinkin I was going to go up there tomorrow (Monday) and check things out. So I don't know if I read your report wrong, but you didn't do the entire GP loop? At the first junction did you stay right or take the left to head out by last chance? Also, you didn't mention middle fork, i imagine it's all crapped up to, and probably still wet as it is still in the trees... plus lower m.f/maples is always a muddy mess until June it seems.

on yer left
    Apr 2008

Doh!

At the first junction I headed for last chance as I always do, sorry for the confusion. I didn't even bother to poke down Middle Fork today. There were too many horses in the GP parking area to even bother. It's nice up there right now and I might just be back for more tomorrow with motivation to ride the fire road around to look at last chance from the top of penny lane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

wet

I went up for a ride today. I love stupid people! Haha. I don't know why some people just like to 'trash' trails. Anyway. I guess I was hoping for less water. But such is life. I didn't think I would have to get off the bike so much, to walk around ever wet spot and stream crossing as to not damage the trail more than it already had. Thank goodness they don't let horses on green pond. The dry parts were great, just wish there was longer distances between the wet spots, anyway it's better then work. I went out the last change loop, but less then 1/4 mile ran into a huge snowdrift and didn't feel like walking through it to encounter more later in the ride. That mud on top of penny lane... yuck, my shoes are caked now... wonder how some of those road through it?

All in all I think I will wait to ride it again for a couple weeks. Maybe I will stick to east fork and try to smooth out some of it for ya......

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Most of those small crossings are wet all year so there's no need to dismount. You're not really damaging anything. Just roll through slow. There were only 4 or so places that really needed to be hiked. The only real risk is when you try to grind through a long section of mud on a normally dry section of trail. They you've screwed the pooch. Go ride East Fork to see what real damage is.

Members who have read this thread: 0