Snowbasin- Mtbr.com

Thread: Snowbasin

over researcher

Snowbasin

Has anybody done any riding at Snowbasin yet? I know the lower part of Last Chance is dry, but there there is some water running under Strawberry Express towards Green Pond. These are low areas of the mountain though.

What about Green Pond, or any of the lower trails?

KAH
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I heard from a guy friday who said it's still really muddy. I'm off work all next week so I may check it out for myself.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We road east fork, wheelers, and ice box on saturday. All that was dry. My bro went down middle fork to check it out, still had 3 soggy sections, he said it probably shouldn't be ridden yet. My friend and his wife went up green pond. Said it is still muddy and isn't worth ridding yet. Any it will be a while before you will be able to connect to mapels and such.... but in the meantime, go ride east fork and know down some of the horse damage!!!!

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Was up there yesterday. East Fork was good to go from art nord save for one section near the middle fork junction that was wet enough we opted to walk around though it was rideable. Middle Fork is not ready. We rode a good stretch of Green Pond from the bottom ( just tacked it on to an east fork out and back) which had a few wet sections we walked but for the most part was very good. Maples from the top was really good but did get wet the further down you dropped. We rode it just to get some beta and turned around fairly quickly. Horses are doing a good bit of damage out there.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by radnasty
    Horses are doing a good bit of damage out there.
    Sometimes I feel that if equestrians had a brain, they'd take it out and play with it.

over researcher
    It's good to go. Today we parked at the Green Pond TH and did a clockwise loop of Green Pond to Maples to Wheeler Creek and up Middle Fork back to our truck. There is plenty of horse damage on Wheeler Creek and Middle Fork. It's kind of frustrating, but I guess there are clueless mountain bikers who will do the same thing with their bikes. There were three of us. I was on a copper (orangish) Flux, another guy on a black Fuji Reveal 2.0, and the third guy way back there on a blue Trek 8000 hardtail. We hit the dirt at 7:30A and had a great time. It's beautiful right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    If ya saw two guys on Ibis Mojo's that was us. We ran a few shuttles down middle fork and then maples all the way to pineview down icebox canyon. FYI: Snowbasin is running shuttles for free right now.
    Last edited by radnasty; 06-15-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Solum Volamus
    I did almost the same loop starting at Green Pond a couple weeks back. There were some muddy sections, but overall not too bad. Ice Box was in great shape and fun as always.
    Attached Images Attached Images

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED
    I did almost the same loop starting at Green Pond a couple weeks back. There were some muddy sections, but overall not too bad. Ice Box was in great shape and fun as always.
    I'm not real familiar with the trails around here. It appears that instead of going up Middle Fork, you continued to the left, worked your way to the Art Nord TH, and went up East Fork back to Green Pond TH. Am I correct? I'd like to go that route next time. Oh, and also go up Maples to the lookout. What and where is Ice Box? Thanks.

ETA - It appears there is a trail to the South of the triangular mountain just to the West of Art Nord TH. I'm guessing it's a bit more fun, and also out of the hot sun, going the route you went. Thanks again.
    Last edited by royta; 06-15-2008 at 07:42 PM.

Solum Volamus
    I don't know the exact names of the trails either....but I'll try to describe it the best I can!

After going down the Maples trail from the old campground area, we did turn left instead of going up the middle fork trail (crosses the old snowbasin road above the Art Nord trailhead). That trail continues down that valley to the west of the triangular mtn you described and intercepts the Wheeler Creek trail (old road). That is the Ice Box canyon trail as my friends say (they have lived here all their lives). You then follow the Wheeler Creek trail back up to the Art Nord trailhead.

The maples overlook is a nice trail for sure...especially on the way down

Check out the Weber Pathways site for more info. You can pick up a printed trail map at most of the bike shops in the area I've heard. http://www.weberpathways.org/index.asp

Have a good one!

on yer left
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED
    You then follow the Wheeler Creek trail back up to the Art Nord trailhead.
    Or you can drop down Wheeler to Ogden Canyon and wait for the free Snowbasin shuttle van.

Solum Volamus
    Quote Originally Posted by radnasty
    Or you can drop down Wheeler to Ogden Canyon and wait for the free Snowbasin shuttle van.
    Nice!!! Is that something new?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, I usually wait for everybody else to smooth out the horse and cattle tracks for me on this one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Art Nord still has one patch of mud. Damn that Maples downhill before Icebox has some good swiss cheese hoof-holes. Prey for Rain!

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by westoxified
    Art Nord still has one patch of mud. Damn that Maples downhill before Icebox has some good swiss cheese hoof-holes. Prey for Rain!
    That will just make more mud, which seems to bring out the equestrians like flies to flypaper.

Fartographer
    Now now, fellas. We all know that mountain bikes are the problem. Please respect the equestrians. They do nothing but good for the environment. Just consider all the fertilizing they do!
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nothing against the equine, it's actually quite refreshing to have so many respectful users on these trails. Comming down one of the switchbacks I resurrected the dying giraff in my back brake. Two horses I didn't even see before bolted into the woods right by me and the riders immediately asked if I was allright!

Keep those brakes clean!

Fartographer

Horsies

Nothing against the equine, it's actually quite refreshing to have so many respectful users on these trails. Comming down one of the switchbacks I resurrected the dying giraff in my back brake. Two horses I didn't even see before bolted into the woods right by me and the riders immediately asked if I was allright!

Keep those brakes clean!
    I was just teasing. In California, equestrians could be a pain in the ass. But in Utah, I've found them all to be very, very nice. So I agree, it is refreshing. I especially appreciate the shared use trails in Draper, which I don't believe would even exist if it wasn't for horses. Those trails are super fun and the equestrians are all very friendly. In general, people on the trail are much friendlier in Utah than they are in California. And I do my best to return that attitude and respect.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

Colorado
    Snowbasin really isn't worth riding the lifts in the summer for mtb.

If you are looking for DH in the area... head to Powder Mountain. Visit Black Diamond sports in Eden first, ask about the shuttle run up there off the pow mow road.

Last I was up, powder found out about the trail. But, it could be re-built by now.

Anyway, in it's day, this was some of the sickest underground shuttle stuff in the State!! The dudes who built it were temporary to the area, spent most time in Whistler/Moab. It is steep, and full of ladders, bridges, dirt gap jumps, wooden gaps, cliffs, and all around gnar.

Probably 2K vert...

Start at the top, as you would if you were shuttling for skiing, just off the dirt road summit... look for a singletrack trail just off the side of the road.

Like I said, it may be long gone, but it's likely some good remain are there, or it could be re-built.

over researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    Snowbasin really isn't worth riding the lifts in the summer for mtb.

If you are looking for DH in the area... head to Powder Mountain. Visit Black Diamond sports in Eden first, ask about the shuttle run up there off the pow mow road.

Last I was up, powder found out about the trail. But, it could be re-built by now.

Anyway, in it's day, this was some of the sickest underground shuttle stuff in the State!! The dudes who built it were temporary to the area, spent most time in Whistler/Moab. It is steep, and full of ladders, bridges, dirt gap jumps, wooden gaps, cliffs, and all around gnar.

Probably 2K vert...

Start at the top, as you would if you were shuttling for skiing, just off the dirt road summit... look for a singletrack trail just off the side of the road.

Like I said, it may be long gone, but it's likely some good remain are there, or it could be re-built.
    You sound like a great benefit to the MTB community. Keep up the great work.

Jun 2008
    Oh quit harassing the philistines Royta and keep yer mouth shut until I receive further orders from God. How many times do I have to tell you that? Jeez!

Meanwhile I'm going to go have a threesome with my sixth and ninth wife (and no you can't come this time!)

Oh and next time you jack off to the Book of Mormon I'm telling Jesus. You don't want to go to hell do you!?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    uh... thanks for the beta on hell JS!

Members who have read this thread: 1