Snow sucks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Snow sucks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snow sucks

Its sucks it sucks it sucks

SXtreem now
    you got that right! iv been just looking at my new RMX in the livingroom, and looking at the snow outside and its a little depressing. winter is just starting.........

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No no no......

You guys got it all wrong man. Skiing/boarding the back country is just like mountain biking in the back country except you have to be avy savy, you have to wear a beacon, and there are no trails. The tools are a little different but the thrills are the same. Climb all morning (and part of the afternoon) and the scream your way right back down to wear you started. Try it and you will see.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

diversify....

I agree w/ XTRKona...ya gotta embrace winter or you will go nuts waiting for spring. Take up bc skiing/boarding, ice climbing, etc. something to keep you moving. I'm not much of a fan of winter any more either, but I could never live someplace where there wasn't snow. The past couple of weeks have been about as good as it gets around here this time of the year; 10 days after one of my nicest rides of the year I was powder skiing in basically the same spot. It's those 2 months of in-between season that can get you down.

SXtreem now
    snowboarding is my favoret thing to do next to ridding my bike. but i cant afford a season pass and lift tickets are nuts expensive. i hiked half a day up Grizzly Gulch the first week we got snow, it was fun , but still, i cant wait till spring!

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

expensive

Skiing/boarding has become ridiculously expensive and that is why I got into backcountry skiing, or so I thought. By the time you are done getting all the gear and take an avy class you pretty much could of bought another bike. Screw it, lets all move to Florida.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    Skiing/boarding has become ridiculously expensive and that is why I got into backcountry skiing, or so I thought. By the time you are done getting all the gear and take an avy class you pretty much could of bought another bike. Screw it, lets all move to Florida.
    Are you guy kidding me??

XTR kona?? RMX?? with these bikes you could buy half a dozen years worth of season passes. Skis and boards are dirt cheap compared to bikes especially heree in Utah where you have millions of barely used boards for a penny a dozen.

Skiing rocks, you can go way faster and hit much bigger stuff than is feasible on a bike.

I don't get it. We have the best snow in the world and you guys want to go biking???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blasphmey

Blasphemers all of you. Except RMX, You want to go ride before the snow and cold finally win the battle against all things good? I just got back from an awsome ride. It's got to be 55 outside. Couple more weeks and we can kiss 2004 good bye

Manti your comments hurt me deeply.
    "I don't get it. We have the best snow in the world and you guys want to go biking???"
    Who is the Moderator of this forum. I think you should be expelled.

mtbr member
    Two words... Southern Utah. I lived in SLC for years and never found the funds or time to ski more than a couple of times a month. Moving to George provided year round riding and the ability simply drive north to satisfy the winter sports urge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Two words... Southern Utah. I lived in SLC for years and never found the funds or time to ski more than a couple of times a month. .
    If you don't have time to ski how do you find the time to ride???
    I share my year: 100 days of biking and 100 days of boarding.. (and some work..)

Actually I already have 99 days on my MTBs, 14 days on my roadie so I exceded my alloted quota for riding.. Add to that a last trip to Bootleg for thanksgiving and it's going to be time to switch to skiing/boarding (6 days so far!!)

By the way I heard they are going to be a moutain bike class to race at the BMX track this winter (NOT cruisers, real MTB), that should be fun to ride indoor when it's too cold outside! I think Go-Ride.com should ave some info on that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Lived in SG for 3 years.

i just moved to SLC to attend the U of U. I agree St. George is the place to be if you ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mani_UT
    If you don't have time to ski how do you find the time to ride???
    After a days work, yes some of us have full-time jobs, I find it easier to get out and ride for a couple of hours than hit the slopes for a couple of hours. With a full, or even half, day available all things would be equal.

Feb 2004
    After a days work, yes some of us have full-time jobs, I find it easier to get out and ride for a couple of hours than hit the slopes for a couple of hours. With a full, or even half, day available all things would be equal.
    Boy I wish I could take a winter vacation, still have to get you to give me a tour. No snow on the ground here yet, few flakes yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    After a days work, yes some of us have full-time jobs, .
    I Do to.
    My goal for this winter is to prove that one can put 50 hours a week and still get over 100 days on the mountain (I work in the valley by the way so I have to drive up everytime)

A typical day:

Work: 6:00 to 10:00
    ski: 10:30 to 2:30
    work; 3:00 to 7:00

I dont have kids though...
    If you like backcountry skiing it's even easier!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by minkhiller
    Boy I wish I could take a winter vacation, still have to get you to give me a tour.
    Hey mink, ditch the tour guides and come on out. We've had a good bit of rain the past few weeks, but it does nothing but help 90% of the trails. You've just gotta watch for the ones with clay.

Feb 2004
    Hey mink, ditch the tour guides and come on out. We've had a good bit of rain the past few weeks, but it does nothing but help 90% of the trails. You've just gotta watch for the ones with clay.
    I'm thinking Labor Day again next year, maybe a split between Fruita and St. George.

mtbr member
    I've got a two week vacation planned over Labor Day next year and unfortunately it doesn't involve George, Fruita, or my bike for that matter.