Snow Basin, Which trails for varying skill levels?- Mtbr.com
    ay Diablo!

Snow Basin, Which trails for varying skill levels?

I will be attending a family reunion the 1st week of August in Snow Basin, and I have been designated the trail finder. I have never been to Snow Basin and am not familar with the trail sytem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I talked to a gentlemen from Odgen yesterday (Sat. the 25) in Brianhead, and he suggested Skyline trail...

I'm in need of a less technical trail for the 12-16 olds kids.
    A trail for the adults that are not as technically inclined.
    And the most important... a technical downhill run for the advanced adults.
    Any suggustions for any or all of the skill levels needed?

Thanks,
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    The locals will have better info but my wife's family is from S. Ogden so I've explored most of the options.

First of all Skyline is indeed awesome w' ganormous views but will be blazing hot, esp if you climb from the Pineview end. Not much shade. If you shuttle to N. Ogden Pass it's a pretty steep climb but more shade. I'd call it a climb for experts, mainly just cause it's steep. Overall, it's pretty buff trail. Intermediates will be off their bike more than on. You can make a loop with a trail that drops from n. ogden pass and around toward the old Nordic Vally ski area but that's more that 4000' of climbing. An out and back to Ben Lomond on the other side of the pass is also good but hot and exposed.

Snowbasin is quite good. For a mixed group of varying levels the Green Pond-Maples loop to Ard Nord and back the Green Pond pkng lot is really nice. 12 miles with about 1600' elev gain. Start at Ard Nord which is a longer drive if you don't want to finish with a climb. The lower trails were pretty chewed up by horses when I rode it in early July but still worth it. Green Pond is a really nice middle chainring climb. I would suggest clockwise, simply because the downhill on Maples is so good but either direction. If you've got the time climb higher on Lookout I think and hook up some of the higher trails for more elev gain but it gets increasingly rocky and steeper. The tech/chunk crowd will like the higher elev stuff. And you can always ride the lifts.
    http://www.snowbasin.com/summer/mtn_biking.asp
    Last edited by rockman; 07-26-2009 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I second what Rockman says.

Green pond is a great ride. It is my wife's favorite. For the beginners start on the new snowbasin road (green pond trailhead - map available at snowbasin website). Ride Clockwise (easier). The loop is 5 miles back to the car.
    Best downhill is to ride up the lookout trail (out and back above maples) then down maples, down icebox and end at the bottom of wheeler canyon.
    Best route for more advanced rider... Start at the bottom of wheeler creek, ride up to art nord parking, up east fork, green pond loop (either direction), over to maples and down ice box to start.

Snowbasin also has lift assisted biking on weekends, just about anyone should be able to make it down any of the trails, nothing is greater than 4% grade on the resort. It is all cross-country oriented.

Snowbasin has maps of the resort, closest bike shop is Diamond Peak in Eden (other side of the valley from snowbasin) they have maps of other local trails (also found at weber pathways website) and other useful info.
    Hope that helps.

ay Diablo!
    Thank you for the replies. I checked out the places you recommended on utah mountain biking .com, and maples and green pond loops look great, as does east fork. Would the farmington flats loop be a good/fun loop for the young kids, say 10-14?

I have a feeling any place around Ogden/Snow Basin will be cooler then here (Southern Nevada). I can't wait to get out of the heat and enjoy a bit of mountain biking and family time.

Thanks,
    Bunk
    "You know me, I'm too lazy to carry a grudge". Sid the Sloth

Carnaval Dominicano
    http://carnaval.com.do/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Check out Coldwater Overlook. It's a great trail for beginners and goes to a great view down Ogden Canyon. You can connect it easily with maples, green pond or art nord,

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The coldwater canyon trail is also called the overlook trail or lookout trail depending on what local you are talking too.

Members who have read this thread: 0